homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
My Spanish professor, knowing that I am a retired Latin teacher, asked me if I knew why the Spanish verb "ir" (to go), which comes from the Latin "ire", is conjugated in the present tense as "voy, vas, va, vamos, van" in Spanish, but as "eo, is, it, imus, itis, eunt" in Latin. She said she didn't know.

It's because "voy, vas, va" is actually from "vadere", not "ire". Apparently in colloquial Latin, "ire" and "vadere" (which actually means "to step forward") were pretty much interchangeable.

[/END OF PEDANTIC TANGENT]

The same is true in English -- "went" is clearly the past tense of "wend" not "go." Somewhere along the line, "to go" adopted the other verb's past tense, requiring "wend" to adopt "wended" to fill the void.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
"went" is clearly the past tense of "wend" not "go."

Interesting. I never realized that before.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
"went" is clearly the past tense of "wend" not "go."

Interesting. I never realized that before.
Nor me. But when you think about it .... bend - bent, lend - lent.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's interesting. But what about 'fend', 'mend', 'pend', 'tend', and 'vend'?

'Rend' and 'send' are obviously of the same pattern as 'wend', though.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No one ever claimed that there is any rhyme or reason to the phenomenon of "strong" vs. "weak" verbs in English.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the back of my store cupboard I have found an unnopened box of icing sugar that has consolidated into a solid brick like lump. What can I do with it? I don't have a food processor or any other way I can think of of breaking it up.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Put it either into a cloth or a heavy plastic bag (zip loc for preference), and lay it on the counter. Hit it with a heavy frying pan. Smaller bits can be crushed with a rolling pin.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
In the back of my store cupboard I have found an unnopened box of icing sugar that has consolidated into a solid brick like lump. What can I do with it? I don't have a food processor or any other way I can think of of breaking it up.

Would that be a bit old by any chance? You may be better off buying a new one rather than having one that's been shattered into a mixture of shards and dust.

If you really are set on using it you might whack it against a hard wall or hit it with a hammer but the results will never be as good as if you had a new one. It sounds as if the moisture's basically evaporated out of it.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dissolve it in water (1 to 1 ratio, I think?) to make simple syrup and then freeze (in measured amounts) to be used in recipes later. It's just sugar. Anything that wants both water and dry sugar should be able to use it if you keep track of the amount used. Lemonade is another option.

Alternately, freeze it in ice cube trays and use them as lumps for very hot tea.

[ 02. July 2016, 19:07: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Put it either into a cloth or a heavy plastic bag (zip loc for preference), and lay it on the counter. Hit it with a heavy frying pan. Smaller bits can be crushed with a rolling pin.

Well that sort of worked ... a rolling pin had no effect and I ended up taking it into the garden and bashing it with a brick. Then when I brought it back inside the bag split. I now have a bag full of little lumps and a fine layer of icing sugar snow in the kitchen!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is not good, I agree! But at least brick dust is not involved.....

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a question about the Methodist Recorder.

Does anyone know where in the West Midlands (UK) I would find a library or a newsagent's where individual copies of this paper are available? Birmingham Central Library and WHSmith used to have the MR but this is no longer the case.

(I realise that some Methodist churches subscribe to the MR, but I'm after copies I can peruse at my own convenience, not for 10 minutes after a Sunday service.)

Many thanks.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can you get a reading pass to Queens? They should have copies.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That might be possible. Thanks for that idea.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I want to ask about buying a modern tv in the UK.

My current tv is about 12 years old (a Sony Trinitron Wide) and there's a time lag between turning the tv on and when the picture appears. It started off at a few seconds, but now is getting up to 5 minutes.

So I'm looking at getting a new tv, and am drowning in techno-babble.

For example, if I'm asked "Do you want UHDTV or 4K" my answer is: I want something that shows moving pictures that I can see.

Now I have Freeview box and a DVD player, both connected via a scart cable and the current tv is connected to the aerial via another kind of cable (not sure what the technical name is). So the new tv would need to be compatible with those.

Also, some models mention wi-fi, which is something I don't have, and have no intention of getting. My data roaming on my mobile is the only home internet connection I need. Would a new tv fail to work without a wi-fi connection?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suggest you write down the name, maker and parts no (if you have one) of everything you want to keep using, and then take the list into the shop with you. There should be several people who can look at that and tell you what would work.

It would be a shorter conversation if you can tell them up front that you have no intention of using your future TV to hook up to the Internet--either for Youtube, or Netflix, or any of the other services that come in that way. All you want to use is [insert your current TV service here].

They'll probably point you to exactly what you need in 30 seconds.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I have another TV question. When I moved into my current flat a few years ago, there was (still is) a satellite dish attached to the outside wall with one cable coming through the wall into the living room, but with no plug of any kind on the end of it. It seems to be the same kind of cable as the standard rooftop aerial (coaxial?)

I was wondering whether to get a Freesat box and make use of the dish (I don't want to take on a subscription to Sky or anything like that). So what do I have to do - if I get the box and get the right kind of plug on the cable, will that work? And what kind of plug would I need? Is it the same as the one on the TV aerial, or would it be different?

--------------------

Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sipech - don't expect your new television to last as long as the old one [Frown]

Check the SCART connection; they don't all have them. However most (all?) seem to have Freeview built in.

To add to what Lamb Chopped said: think about screen size. Nowadays they seem to come in extra-large or enormous. If you want something smaller, it will reduce the options and make it clear you want a basic model.

Avoid like the plague any shop where the sales assistants cannot or will not explain in plain English why you might want a feature. Google tv buying guide and add the name of your preferred shop and you'll find explanations you can use to check the answers you get.

Check about the wifi. You don't want to find they have sneaked in a registration or updating process which requires it.

[Disclaimer: my only credential is being the owner of a very small, basic tv which is the replacement for a broken two year old model which replaced a ten year old one.]

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wouldn't dream of going into a shop to buy a tv. I would only be looking to order online.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I wouldn't dream of going into a shop to buy a tv. I would only be looking to order online.

It is worth visiting a shop none the less if only to get an idea of what the sound and picture quality are like before you splurge out on your new set. They do vary.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you were to have near you a small shop staffed by ancient acolytes of the electrical who do repairs as well as sell stuff, you might find they could track down a model which works really well doing what you want and no more. That's what I did a while back. Sadly, by the time I needed to upgrade to digital, the expert acolyte had passed on.
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
you will probably find that any TV you buy will have an in-build Freeview tuner, which would use your RF cable (your traditional aerial cable) to get a signal.
It may even have Freeview HD capability for certain channels which your current box may not.

If you get a TV which has "freeview +" it will also contain a hard drive which will record programs.

Most TV's will come with a SCART socket where you can plug in your DVD player. Nowadays the thing seems to be multiple HDMI sockets to plug in a Bluray player/ super games console / HD TV provider box (Sky/Virgin) / PC or laptop / chromecast for beaming phone content to TV

as has been mentioned, TVs are getting "smart" and expecting to connect to the internet. You might not need to, but it may be a way that they register or get updates.

UHDTV or 4K is only needed if you have something which transmits in that definition, again it sounds like you don't need that either.

as well as lots of TVs to choose from , the Richer Sounds website has a "knowledge" section to help you out.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am wanting to give my niece (bright, geeky twelve year old) a challenge to find out about three significant women this summer (and she will get a reward for it)

So far I have

Amy Johnson - 75th anniversary of her death this year so there should be plenty around about her. She also crosses the language/science boundary which my niece does as well.
Isabel Menzies-Leith - which will be quite a challenge but due to her relatively recent death plenty of biographies online. I suspect my niece has an innate interest in why people do things.

but I would like to add one current woman scientist or engineer

Requirements
  • Alive
  • Can find information about that is longer than just short biogs on websites
  • research findings relatively accessible to a twelve-year-old.
  • British (I am trying to get my niece to relate as a middle-class English child in a local school in a deprived area of Britain).

Any Suggestions?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two Canadian women who would be great --- except for the fact that they aren't British --- would be Julie Payette and Roberta Bondar. Both were astronauts and have amazing stories.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The ones that immediately come to my mind are Helen Sharman, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, or Susan Greenfield. I also came across this page which might help.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like the Trowelblazers site. Some parts may be beyond a twelve year old, but I suggest you have a browse yourself and see if any of the women are likely to appeal to her.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
The ones that immediately come to my mind are Helen Sharman, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, or Susan Greenfield. I also came across this page which might help.

(BTW Love the idea of this challenge. I'm thinking now about doing something about explorers/adventurers/discoverers for my daughter)
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

What is it called when someone is the opposite of distractible--when they can't/won't pull themselves out of a movie/book/lawn-mowing/what-have-you without force majeure being applied, and when you do apply it, then they swear at you for a week? Like, on everything. I'm wondering if it's some sort of syndrome, as I tried to teach a relative of this person to drive, and gave up after she hyperfocused so hard on the road that she failed to notice the flashing, screaming ambulance directly on her tail for lo these fifteen minutes straight.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Hyperfocused sounds good. Also you might say borderline obsessive-compulsive?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Don't know. There are none of the more classical signs of it.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perseveration?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jengie--

Jane Goodall?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've woken up with a brown stain on my left hand, which is not the one I use for most things. It is mostly on the thumb, but also on the gripping surfaces of the three largest finger tips. It has got behind my fingernails. It reminds me of potassium permanganate. I have some of that, but it is in the depths of a cupboard in the garage, behind a stack of boxes. I don't smoke, so nicotine or similar can't be involved. It also reminds me of the stain in the biology lab - Millon's Reagent, was it? Don't have any of that. It was obviously liquid, as it seems to have flowed. It is not water soluble, and isn't shifted by exfoliating gunk.

I have been eating black cherries from a brown paper bag, using my right hand. I put some clove oil on a tooth last night, with my right index finger. (I'm just doing a test with that, but it isn't doing anything.) I have also tested Olbas Oil, and am currently trying juice from a cherry which had gone past edible. It is not cherry juice.

I have also been reading through recipes torn out of magazines and cutting them with a small blade and stuffing them in plastic folders. With my right hand.

Last night I ate a sandwich with grated carrot in it. With my right hand.

I have now noticed a fainter colouration on the right hand, with the same distribution.

Any ideas? It's very puzzling.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What is it called when someone is the opposite of distractible--when they can't/won't pull themselves out of a movie/book/lawn-mowing/what-have-you without force majeure being applied,
Infuriating?

The North East Man can do this when at his desk, focused on his academic subject. Once, after a fire alarm, he was discovered at his desk having been entirely oblivious to the fire alarm, the building being evacuated, the fire engines outside, people trooping back in....

I don't think it's a syndrome with him, he's just at the far end of the brainy spectrum. He has an amazing, off-the-end-of-the-scale IQ, he's easily the most intelligent person I've ever met. But he has what he calls a "trivia filter" so he doesn't clutter up his mighty brain with "trivia" such as external noise (even fire alarms) when he's concentrating on his subject, or humdrum stuff at any time.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Penny - we don't do diagnoses on the Ship. If you are worried, please see your doctor.

Thanks

Ariel
Heaven Host

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Oh Lor, I didn't mean to ask for a diagnosis or think it's something which needs to see a doctor. I just wanted to know if anyone had any idea of something which would leave a stain that I might have touched. I'm not worried - just curious. It will wear off, it's just superficial.

I haven't been dealing with onion skins recently, either.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Is there any chance you touched a surface with slightly wet e.g. creosote on it? Opened a gate latch with your right hand while pulling the gate open with your left?
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Penny--

Have you bought any new clothing, shoes, blankets, etc. of or near that color? I've had the dye come off on me, and sometimes it took a while to figure out what it was.

Good luck!

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Don't think so, NEQ. And I think I would have noticed something like that. Though I am now wondering about things I handled in Burgess Park, where the gates closing roads off are red-brown - but weren't wet. Could be a two stage thing, I suppose. I did carry a cold bottle of lemonade in the left hand afterwards. Your suggestion has made me look further back.

I made a mocha blancmange with coffee in it, and held the bowl in my left hand to pour the mix into the saucepan. I shall keep my eyes skinned.

And no new clothes. I have some which I have dyed with terracotta colour, but haven't worn them recently.

[ 08. July 2016, 08:53: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LC - I have noticed a variant of that. Someone who, if a new and fascinating idea is presented, becomes so preoccupied by it as to lose virtually all sense of the world around them and have to be steered about like an automaton until they regain the ability to spare some attention.

I've had the experience, in the first flush of some creative activity, of disregarding inessentials like food or sleep, in order to pursue it - but never actually becoming oblivious.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Black cherry juice will definitely produce such stains provided it has been left in place long enough.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It has worn off now. But the new lot of cherries, Merton Biggareau, are not having any such effect. The last ones were Merchant, and blacker. I suspect the skins, rather than the juice alone. And I also suspect the moving around of the split paper bag before I ate them, for I can't remember which hands did what about that.

Thank you all for putting up with the trivia - it was very dramatic! And as I eat cherries in quantity every year, and have not noticed such an effect before, it was a surprise.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Black cherries will also stain plastic dishes, cloth, countertops, and any number of things you don't want them to. If they are in a bag, check to be sure the bottom of the bag is not damp.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I looked into perseveration, but it seemed to me that had more to do with repetition of the same thing (a sentence, an action) or a refusal to quit doing same. What I'm seeing is more like inertia--when the person is moving (metaphorically), they keep moving in that direction regardless of whether it's already 3 a.m. and the task is not that important, or they've got a hungry child and it's almost 2 in the afternoon.

Similarly it's almost impossible to get person X into motion once they've settled into "doing nothing." Which is the excuse offered for why X absolutely MUST mow the lawn at anti-social o'clock on Saturday morning, because to wait until 9 (or even 8) means "it's all over now" and "I can't do anything now, you know how I am." (You can imagine how this works out when you invite X to breakfast sometime.)

X will work for sixteen hours at a stretch if it seems necessary to them, but cannot cope with two hours broken by a half-hour break and then two more hours. They routinely skip meals for this reason, often until late in the evening. Did I mention X is diabetic?

WTF?

[ 08. July 2016, 18:32: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know someone like that. With them, it also means that they won't (for example) trim a bit off their hedge so as to be able to get out of the gate - because in their mind that would mean also staying-in-the-zone and re-landscaping front and back into the bargain.

I'm starting to resign myself to having lost them to their career, having tried (ineffectually) to help them to change for a long time - it's a shame.

I'm running out of the kind of patience which applies the word 'focused' and am moving towards 'selfish'.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I had a friend once who was a recovering anorexic. She was nice but one reason the friendship didn't last was because Things Had to Be Done in a Particular Way.

There were a limited amount of items she would eat for lunch. It had to be those at a particular time and there could be no deviation from that. Eating out was a minefield I never ventured on for that reason. I asked her once what would happen if she went into a restaurant and they didn't have what she wanted. She said simply she wouldn't go in.

"But what would happen if you did?"

A look of fright crossed her face as she admitted she didn't know - but it would be awful. I got the impression it would be a situation beyond her control, leading to possible breakdown, etc.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Black cherries will also stain plastic dishes, cloth, countertops, and any number of things you don't want them to. If they are in a bag, check to be sure the bottom of the bag is not damp.

The bottom of the bag was indeed damp with juice, and kept from damaging stuff by being in a tapas dish, and subsequently in a plastic bag while I used the dish for the stones. It wasn't this batch responsible for the small stain on the sheet. That was Early Rivers, dark red rather than black. Not had trouble with plastics though. And never before with my hands.

The cherry garden has a marvellous succession of varieties to ensure pollination, and they go through until the end of the month at least. I'm looking forward to the Kent Naps, which are only available briefly, a white variety and our local one. Non-staining.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I know someone like that. With them, it also means that they won't (for example) trim a bit off their hedge so as to be able to get out of the gate - because in their mind that would mean also staying-in-the-zone and re-landscaping front and back into the bargain.

I'm starting to resign myself to having lost them to their career, having tried (ineffectually) to help them to change for a long time - it's a shame.

I'm running out of the kind of patience which applies the word 'focused' and am moving towards 'selfish'.

You see, that's almost the reverse of what I'm doing here--I've chalked this up to "being a PITA" for so long, especially since "That's just the way I am" was so often said with -- well, a dash of arrogance? -- but now I'm starting to hear a distinct note of desperation, as if they want to change, but don't know how, and doubt it can be done. And my saying "just do it" isn't any use.

It's been a lifelong problem and there is autism in the family, though this person shows no other signs of anything on the spectrum. There is also mild OCD (again, no signs in this person) and anxiety.

I suppose I could just call it a quirk. And yet, it's such a distinct thingy, and I'm hoping if I can name it, I can understand it better and maybe find some way to be helpful (and prevent myself from bopping the person over the head when they get this way).

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

LC--

One practical thought, FWIW: If X is using a power mower, is there any chance of getting them to use a simple push mower? Would get around the anti-social o'clock problem. YMMV.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I think I managed to impress the consequences of anti-social o-clock upon X sufficiently the last time it happened. The pattern continues, but not with a lawnmower anymore.

I did have the chance to see that X was making an effort this week to break one particular all-or-nothing pattern. Thank God.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016