homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » All things crafty (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All things crafty
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brenda Clough and Banner Lady

Thank you for your replies. I'll start today and see what happens!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
progress so far: The wool is Patons Fab Big!! I cast on but when I got to 40 stitches I found I'd run out of room on the needle! The wool being so thick I got to about 8 inches of knitting quite quickly, along with - as I could feel - a couple of holes and added stitches. So today I decided to pull it back and start again. I am, however, pleased I decided to have a go as it gives me an alternative activity to do. I might be better with slightly less clumpy wool though.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Be certain that the wool is the right size for the needle. A very great disparity is hard to knit. The wool should have suggested needle sizes noted on the ball band.
Another very simple project is animal comforters -- simply a large square of plain knitting. Animal shelters are scary places and the wire cages are uncomfortable; a blankie makes a cat or dog calmer, and thus more adoptable. It can be shifted with the animal from cage to cage and go home with it when it's adopted.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Be certain that the wool is the right size for the needle. A very great disparity is hard to knit. The wool should have suggested needle sizes noted on the ball band.
Another very simple project is animal comforters -- simply a large square of plain knitting. Animal shelters are scary places and the wire cages are uncomfortable; a blankie makes a cat or dog calmer, and thus more adoptable. It can be shifted with the animal from cage to cage and go home with it when it's adopted.

Thank you for advice about needles and wool; also the idea of a dog blanket sounds like an excellent one, so I'll see how my efforts turn out!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ma, my maternal grandmother who died before I was born, apparently used to knit things and decide what they were afterwards. [Roll Eyes]

I have finished the mini Christmas banners I was making for the school [Yipee] and only need to finish a couple for the woman at the pharmacy who saw them when I emptied my backpack to find my purse and promptly ordered two. The fundraising is for the senior school camp next year, and as it's a Catholic school religious designs are OK.

Huia

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Ma, my maternal grandmother who died before I was born, apparently used to knit things and decide what they were afterwards. [Roll Eyes]

What a good idea! [Smile] I'm wondering whether my effort could be used as a draft excluder at the bottom of a door! It's about 30 cm at the moment.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was the local Stitch and Bitch Christmas Lunch today, fourteen of us around a long table at the pub where we usually meet (all of us Ladies of a Certain Age!). Great conversation, great food, and applause for one member who has finished her neck wrap after 3 years (also making the neck wrap an honorary member in its own right)!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm going to try something new as a project for me and my granddaughter. Painting a silk scarf!

Have any of you done this? Any hints or suggestions of things to do...or not to do?

It sounds like fun. I hope she thinks so, too!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry JJ. I am remarkably untalented when it comes to anything to do with painting so I avoid it.

I am really excited. The two cat cross-stitch patterns I had someone order for me from Aliexpress have arrived. I'm not sure what the style is called but the cats have heads shaped like a crescent moon on it's back or a smile, and a line bisecting their faces. I've often seen them as ornaments with partially gold faces and have a broach of one. I'm going to work one as a Christmas present (for next year) for a friend, as I know he likes them.

Today I'm off to photocopy and laminate them to lessen the possibility of loss or tea spilling as I have a history of doing both. [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was gifted a serger/overlocker last June and despite multiple efforts to learn to thread it, I have not had any success. I just learned of a dealer about an hour drive away who will teach me to do it. Seems like Christmas! I sure hope she can figure it out. Every bit of sewing I have done since June has been with the nagging feeling in the back of my mind that if only I could figure out the serger, it would be much more efficient.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You have googled, right? Putting the term "Threading {brand of your machine} serger instructions" into the search window. With any luck this will kick up Youtube videos for you. The nice thing about them is that you can keep on hitting replay and watching them over and over until you get it right.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

And save them as favourites My favourites runneth over and I'm going to have to do a cull sometime [Roll Eyes]

I hope you can find something helpful lily pad. I don't know about you, but I find You tube videos are a mixed bunch, some are helpful and others less so - just like people everywhere I suppose. I often find an on-the-spot live person best, but I Google first so that I can at least ask intelligent questions (well, it fools some people).

Huia [Big Grin]

[ 10. December 2016, 00:47: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A new creativity:
I have ten balls of yarn and used them to knitted a fairly complex cardigan, with long wide0 ties to fasten it around the waist. Here's a picture of it on a knitting magazine cover.
It only took five balls of yarn! Clearly I need to do something with the remainder. I already altered the pattern somewhat, by adding a lace panel to the back and doing the sleeves in lace. So now my idea is to add a skirt to the bottom, turning the rather short cardigan into a long lace coat. This should handily suck up the remaining 5 balls of yarn, and should not be such a much if I knit it from the top down, widening as I go -- then when I run out of yarn I just stop, and that'll be the length of the finished garment.
However. Now a further refinement comes to mind. If I knit this long skirt, I had originally intended to permanently attach it to the bottom of the cardigan. But suppose I did not. Suppose I contrive some temporary attachment method. Everything would be hidden by the wide ribbed wraparaound around the waist. Then I could convert it, at will, from a long lace coat to a shorter cardigan.
If I do this: what would the attachment method be? Buttons doesn't seem possible. Velcro is always a bad idea with wool (picks up all the fuzz). A separating zipper seems beyond the realm of practical politics. It is tempting to imitate Aunt Polly in
Tom Sawyer and simply sew it into place, with large stitches and a contrasting yarn. It would be easy to pick out and resew the waist seam at any moment, and everything would be hidden by the waistband anyway...

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect any skirt will hang badly/make the snug fitting cardigan you have made hang badly from the way that cardigan is constructed. The rib bands are what are shaping it and any skirt is going to alter that fitting and be difficult to make look right because of the way shaping curves into the bands and curves away into diagonals.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I looked at the top some hours ago and have been thinking it over. I am inclined to agree with CK's findings. I don't think a skirt would work well, the weight would pull top out of shape. I think it would also destroy the attraction of the specific design of the top.

It might just work if the front of the skirt was designed to closely fit the shaping on the top, but I think it better left.

Do you have a small granddaughter for whom you could make a tunic or similar to use the leftover wool? Or even hats for charities or cancer wards? The chidren's hospital where Miss M, my granddaughter was treated for acute leukaemia for three years , was always in need of hats for children of all ages and shapes and sizes. I used to send them in when I had a shopping bag full. One of the nurses cried when son took one lot in.

Thankfully she is in remission now, but there are so many little ones needing hats.

[ 10. December 2016, 07:24: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still thinking... Why not make a separate skirt? Line it so it keeps its shape.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I decided a long time ago in the days of sweater dresses that I was never again going to have a knitted garment that got sat on. Even lined. I have slightly broken this with a long fine knit skirt - but I don't actually wear it much (It has an ankle length cardigan to match.) I certainly wouldn't wear a home knit thing and sit on it. Even machine knitted.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Heheh. I have considered that difficulty, and have the solution. The skirt will be attached not to the edge of the ribbed band, but to the seam that attaches the ribbed band to the body. There will be a nice gap, at the back, mirroring the gap in the two halves of the back. Thus everything will be hidden by wrapped ribbed ties.

And I do believe that I have a solution to the skirt attachment issue. (It can't be separate, because if it fits onto this top it won't go all the way around -- there'll definitely be a gap at the center front.) Small snaps, many of them. I figure 18 or 20 should about do it. The skirt will run from a few inches past where the bands cross in front, all the way around to the back where the bands cross again.

Now we come to the more engrossing consideration. What lace pattern to use on the skirt section? I am thinking it will be bands of lace with solid sections (into which I can work all the widening that a skirt will need). I can't use the one I used on the upper bit, because that pattern was knit from the bottom up. If I use it now it will look upside down. Must find another, harmonious pattern that looks OK knit from the top down.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Confession: I blew off going to church Sunday morning in order to make a shark mouth photo booth for a grandchild's birthday party. I guess that would be Sharks 1, Jesus 0...except that we didn't get time to use it at the party. The venue was funnelling kids through the party rooms at breakneck speed.

Anyway, next time its Pirate Day, I have the perfect thing for photos. Is that heavenly laughter I hear? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

I ran out of wool, so |I cast off and the result is a piece of knitting, stocking stitch with several holes, a wrong row or two in the middle, measuring 34 inches in length, 3 inches in diameter when measured across the rolled-up - because of being stocking stitch!! - sausage, and about 9 inches when flattened out. I don't think I'll bother pressing at the moment, but I won't throw it away. I shall get some more wool as soon as I can because it was very pleasant to be able to do something while listening, or passing the time when nothing else to do.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well done, Susan Doris and you have discovered one of the joys of knitting.

If you want to keep it flat, not rolling up, dofour or five stitches in garter stitch at each end of the row. JUst plain knitting for those few stitches will keep it flat.

I knit socks mindlessly most of the time but can't do lace unless very basic without paying attention.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like a draught excluder.
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite a few pages back I mentioned that I was embarking on knitting a blanket made out of squares this year. It's a project that will end up rolling over to next year but I am now about two-thirds of the way through. I've been sewing it up as I go along and it is now measures eight squares by seven. I've also started on the edging, as knitting that all in one go would be extremely tedious.
So far I'm happy with how it looks. Quite where I'll put it when I've finished it another matter.
In the mean time I quickly knitted up a small cushion in very chunky wool as a Christmas present for my mother in law and am debating whether it is worth quickly making my mother yet another beret. I knit them, she loses them [Frown]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Well done, Susan Doris and you have discovered one of the joys of knitting.

If you want to keep it flat, not rolling up, dofour or five stitches in garter stitch at each end of the row. JUst plain knitting for those few stitches will keep it flat.

I knit socks mindlessly most of the time but can't do lace unless very basic without paying attention.

Ah, thank you for that. I was trying to remember what could be done to prevent curling, so next time I will start each row with a few garter stitches.

One of my granddaughters loves to knit and has made me a couple of pairs of lovely, comfortable and warm socks.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

This morning I have bought a pair of No. 9 needles and a large ball of Aran wool. I've cast on about 30 stitches, knitted a few rows of rib and a few rows of stocking stitch with four garter stitches at the start of each row. It is a little more difficult to control where the needle is going but I will report back on progress later! [Smile]
There doesn't seem to be any wool which is in between the thickness of Aran and that of the Patons Fab Big I had last week.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You might have to shop around. Also, be aware that pure wool needs care -- don't machine wash it, for instance. And there are moths. For real durability and ease of care, get a machine-washable yarn.

My niece, a lifelong Harry Potter fan, has declared that she has switched schools from Gryffindor to Slytherin. She now needs a new scarf, in her colors. Am off to the shops later this week to find something machine-washable in the right colors.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
You might have to shop around. Also, be aware that pure wool needs care -- don't machine wash it, for instance. And there are moths. For real durability and ease of care, get a machine-washable yarn.

My niece, a lifelong Harry Potter fan, has declared that she has switched schools from Gryffindor to Slytherin. She now needs a new scarf, in her colors. Am off to the shops later this week to find something machine-washable in the right colors.

that sounds like a fun thing to knit! I will see if this knitting venture turns into something that could be a scarf!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:

My niece, a lifelong Harry Potter fan, has declared that she has switched schools from Gryffindor to Slytherin.

[Paranoid] You might need to keep an eye on her, Brenda.

Huia [Biased]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here is a notion: handkerchief angels. Has anybody ever made these?

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you have a pattern, Brenda? I bought a beautiful Angel in the Christmas market at Hereford cathedral last year, made out of a hank of wool, folded over and tied to make the head and the waist, then some of the wool teased out for wings.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There are lots of patterns on the internet; the idea if reusing a vintage hanky is attractive.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I took my Young Man to the best fabric shop in Hereford last week to get the material for his next costume. He wants to be a Grey Jedi (neither Light nor Dark) and the costume he rather fancied cost $170, plus p&p from the States.
The lady in the shop remembered me from last year: "You're the lady who does the Star Wars costumes aren't you?" (I did a Jedi Librarian, which I love),
and sorted us out with some charcoal grey suiting material which should look fantastic with the under tunic and trousers - all for around £20.
Now I've got until EasterCon to make it.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Be sure and photograph it when it's done!

For my son I made a complete Anakin Skywalker Jedi outfit, cunningly waiting to do this until he was almost as tall as I. This means that now he has lost interest in STAR WARS (girls are more interesting, and who can blame him) I can wear it myself. I have the tunic, tabard and waist cummerbund in a limp ivory fabric, and a huge brown hooded robe that hangs to the floor. This can be worn with any pair of neutral pants, and boots. All the fabric was purchased at the clearance table at WalMart, so it was very cheap.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

With a ball of chunky wool -I think! - and 6 mm needles, I have done another piece of knitting which started with 30 stitches and ended with 36, but I don't think there are any dropped ones running. It's approximately square. I have two more balls of wool of differing thicknesses and when I've finished those pieces, I'll see if anyone can see a possibility for them being something!! [Big Grin] But it is definitely pleasant to have something to do while listening etc.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Yes,good in all ways. The arthritis in my right hand has been troublesome. My excuse to others for constant knitting has been that I use it as exercise against arthritis. However, I have done little this year and definitely not socks with tiny needles and thin yarn. However, my fingers seem a bit better now and I have ordered a pattern and yarn for a small rug made from sampler squares. I think a square will be a good size. Not easy to knit too much on one but a pleasant result when put together.

I am glad you are enjoying it, SusanDoris.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've bought a couple of hanks of a gorgeous yarn in the sale in John Lewis. It's mohair, alpaca and silk, hand dyed in a variety of colours, green, blue, orange, mauve. Yarn The site mentions merino, which I missed on the label. The colour is, I think, Rumba.
I'm using one of those round knitting looms to make a circular scarf, or cowl, in a slipped stitch like one sided fisherman's rib. I may have enough for a beanie hat as well.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

That should be lovely! You might need to shift needle sizes when you go from scarf to hat. The cowl needs to be airy and drapery, while the hat should be a little more tight.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I shall be doing the hat on a smaller thing with the diameter closer to my head size. And for winter - airy isn't quite the thing. The yarn wants to go loose, though.
And I had to unpick what I had done so far this morning - the stitch pattern (tuck stitch in machine terms) makes picking up an error impossible.
And it may be responsible for my right hand thumb base pain at the moment. Bother.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Susan--

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

What a good idea! [Smile] I'm wondering whether my effort could be used as a draft excluder at the bottom of a door! It's about 30 cm at the moment.
You could make it the width of a door, by whatever length you like; roll it up; and twist rubber bands or ribbons around to hold it in a roll. It would be textured and pretty; and, if there were errors you wanted to hide, you could put them to the inside. FWIW. YMMV.

FYI: I use a draft blocker I made years ago. I put good-smelling herbs and spices, and ones that deter pests, in a tube cut from a pantyhose leg, and tied off the ends. Then I made a slightly larger tube of fabric I liked, and slid the spice tube into it. Then I tied off those ends. Works very well against an inside door. For a window or outside door, water-resistant fabric might be a good choice due to possible moisture.

...just in case anyone's interested in making one...

Oh, and use fabric that can take some handling. You'll be grabbing or kicking it a lot, putting it in place and getting it out of the way.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Golden Key

Many thanks for all those ideas. It will probably take me a while to sort out how to do it, but I think my first tube effort might well actually end up being useful!
I have started knitting another ball of wool (I stop when the wool runs out!) and after quite a few rows I still have the same numbre of stitches I started with! Technique definitely improving. [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Golden Key

Many thanks for all those ideas. It will probably take me a while to sort out how to do it, but I think my first tube effort might well actually end up being useful!
I have started knitting another ball of wool (I stop when the wool runs out!) and after quite a few rows I still have the same numbre of stitches I started with! Technique definitely improving. [Smile]

Not only useful but unique and instructive. Glad you are enjoying this.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm trying to bring my craft stash under control. (It's knitting, crochet, felting and sewing stuff.) I want to organise and store it so I can find things easily. I've cleared out an old side board at the moment. So probably will end up with plastic boxes in it. Would like to hear how other people store there craft stash, so it a) doesn't take over the whole of your home, b) so you can find things.
Thanks

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

All my straight knitting needles stand up in a vase. Crochet hooks have their own jar, as do pens/pencils. All the circulars (which usually have no numbers on them) are stored in hanging file pockets inside a large plastic file box, by gauge. The double-points huddle promiscuously in a large envelope at the front.
I have a large bottom cabinet in a bookcase for all the acrylic yarn. Really good yarn (wools, especially) get stored in plastic drawers, mostly randomly except that every dye lot must and shall stay together. Sock yarns have their own drawer.
All of the above fits into my office. The fabric is in boxes in the basement.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

[brick wall] My needlework is driving me insane. I seem to have lost the ability to count. I think it may be because I have only stitched motifs or simple designs for the last few years, whereas now I am stitching a picture that's 7 and a half inches by 4 and a half. I chose to work it in continental stitch on 18 count canvas as the canvas makes it easier to see that aida cloth or linen but it's still a challenge. This is not made easier by occasionally putting on the wrong glasses [Hot and Hormonal] .

The design is of cats in the style created by
Rosina Wachtmeister. I love it, but...

After I've finished there's a second (different) one to complete. [Help]

Huia

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Could you cheat by marking your counted stitches? with basting thread, perhaps.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia

Just realised that a development of a technique I used years ago might help.

Get hold of some thin contrasting plain sewing cotton, Every tenth row and column run a simple running thread down. These are then normally the darker grid markings on the pattern. This means that you are only counting single figure digits.

When you have finished just pull the grid cotton out.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I gridded it at every 20 stitches, which used to work well, but as a get further down the pattern I've found I need a thread every 10 stitches. Also, apart from vision difficulties I think I've lost some confidence in my ability to do it, so it becomes a vicious downward spiral.

Possibly limiting the time I spend doing it would be a good idea too. A walk in the sun does wonders for my perspective.

Huia

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SM--

quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
I'm trying to bring my craft stash under control. (It's knitting, crochet, felting and sewing stuff.) I want to organise and store it so I can find things easily. I've cleared out an old side board at the moment. So probably will end up with plastic boxes in it. Would like to hear how other people store there craft stash, so it a) doesn't take over the whole of your home, b) so you can find things.
Thanks

Resealable plastic bags? They come in many sizes, more than you usually find at a grocery store. Hardware stores sometimes have the much-larger ones. Amazon also has a wide variety of sizes and prices.

You can write info on the bag's label; and put the bags inside a storage tub, if you choose.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I has just occurred to me that having a list might be an idea, what and where being on it. A wisp of yarn, a sliver of fabric, or a photo, the quantity, and the location.
I think I've just got into ordering things mode, which, when I've got over the sheer knackeredness from the last couple of days, I may put into practice.
I have an inventory of groceries, and a list of frozen food on the door of the freezer, so having one of the stash looks a good idea.
Though I need to finish the video inventory first - my TV has just decided it can't access the HDD again, and when I copy the files, it loses the info about what they are, so I have to view and label.

[ 05. January 2017, 09:32: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I have just discovered that Esselte, the company that makes binders for papers also make small ziplock bags. The design I'm working only uses 2 strands at a time (doubled) and stranded cotton has 6 so I needed somewhere to put the skein of as well as the other 4 strands to prevent G-P fat'n'fluffy attacking them. These bags are perfect. I'm using 63x75mm, but there is a range of sizes.

I can imagine them being used to corral small buttons and other tiny objects that can easily be lost. They also have a hole punched in the top(above the zip) so you could put then on one of those locking rings.

I love the idea of organising my stash - the reality eludes me [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016