homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » All things crafty (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All things crafty
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I definitely agree about joining as you go. Either that or possibly crochet together rather than sewing together. Sewing up is awful.

The double sided knitting looks like utter genius. I will definitely be trying that!

I also like the bunny. Bunnies are adorable.

The jumper was well received. I'm very relieved.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Geekalong blanket was supposed to be double-sided and in the pictures I've seen of the double-sided squares they do look great. I watched instruction videos and figured out double-sided knitting and while the overall effect is very impressive, damn it's a fiddly thing to do. I realised that I could do it but I wouldn't enjoy doing it that way. Not for 42 squares of colourwork. (Has to be 42, obviously.)

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter reports that she is expecting. Our first grand! Ultrasound confirms that it is a boy. Clearly something must be knitted for the new arrival. I have already on hand a baby blanket (a triumph of traveling two-color brioche rib -- I could post a link to the photo). They live in the South, so it is unlikely that heavy woollies will be needed. What to knit?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So much work in a knitted blanket, but it is probably the thing that will be used longest unless you are very good at modern baby hats. There are some very cute numbers to be seen in pattern books and photo shoots - however most of the ones favoured by mums out with their bubs seem to be of the T-shirt stretch cotton variety. And I can't remember the last time I sighted a knitted boottee on a baby - they have gone the way of the dodo. My 98 yr old mum was knitting them until recently for her great great grandchildren - lovingly packed away until the event should happen. I cannot imagine they will ever get used, even though the gift is a wonderful thought.

I am painting gnomes. Somehow the beautiful courtyard full of roses at the aged care facility where my Mum lives seems to gather them. They are very dilapidated and I hate seeing them so much, I have been gnome-napping them one by one for renovation. Each one now has a different national costume painted on them relating to where various residents and staff come from. Maybe we shall have a quiz on Australia Day to guess their nationalities. It would be a trick question - because of course they are all Australian now....

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Knitted sunhats? Sort of Christopher Robin?

[ 20. January 2016, 19:34: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Done! At last! The curtains and bedspread - I have decided I hate sewing reams of fabric, it's like squid wrestling in treacle. Nothing ever quite matches up properly, plus you have to get up stepladders and stuff to hang it properly and thereby discover the Appalling State of the top of the wardrobe.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, nobody uses baby booties now. The kids kick them off, and you can only use them before walking, because they're too slippery to stand on.

I am thinking an endless series of knitted pullovers, kimonos, and cardigans. Buttoning up the back at first.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

I am thinking an endless series of knitted pullovers, kimonos, and cardigans. Buttoning up the back at first.

As a baby, I always wore knitted cardigans. My kids almost never did - mostly, I think, because American buildings are routinely kept warmer than the England of my youth.

I much prefer one-piece babygrows (romper suits?) for babies. They're snug and comfy. Cardigans, pullovers and the like tend to ride up and bunch under the arms.

Button up the back is problematic because you're supposed to put baby to sleep on his back, and the buttons will be uncomfortable.

Blankets are always useful. It's not possible to have too many blankets.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you search for Christines stay on baby booties, you will find various references. Ravelry has pictures as well as pattern but not everyone is a member. These have rolls around the sides and have a reputation for staying on. The woman Christine would now be well over a 100 and wanted her pattern to endure.

They are quick and fun to knit. My sons did not wear booties. Two were summer babies down here and the first had such enormous feet that nothing fitted and I used socks.

Their Scottish Great grandmother made them each a layette. A full scale layette to keep an Edinburgh baby warm. Loads of lace and smocking. They all looked ridiculous in them and wore them once so I could take a photo and tell her that each layette had been worn.

[ 22. January 2016, 05:51: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have gone to the darkside.....i am buying wool coz I like it, it is on offer etc before knowing what to use it for.....i am hoarding craft stuff..... [Help]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
I have gone to the darkside.....i am buying wool coz I like it, it is on offer etc before knowing what to use it for.....i am hoarding craft stuff..... [Help]

Welcome! It's nice here. We also have a fabric section. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The word for this is stash. You have a stash! Furthermore, when you go to the store to buy more yarn, this is (for the sake of the acronym) termed a Stash Enhancement Xpedition. I met my editor once at a convention, and we went to a local yarn discount outlet. As we departed her husband turned proudly to the pal sitting next to him and announced, "Teresa is going off with Brenda to have SEX." It is always fun to see a spontaneous spit-take.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am currently resisting the urge to buy some Icelandic Lopi yarn for my stash. I saw it in a shop in Iceland, a finer than usual yarn in gorgeous colours, on a Sunday. Then I found that I could get it online from a dealers in the same county back home. But I had no idea what to knit with it.

Lopi

And better colour range... More Lopi

Then, on Boxing Day, at a party in my sister's Cotswold village, I met someone wearing a beautiful thing she had bought at Machu Picchu. Basically, two single colour rectangles, so one of those fashionable droopy hems, with a cowl neck in a two colour pattern, and sleeves from the sides of the rectangles, again in the two colour pattern. I reckoned I could do it on machine, with handknitting for the cowl and sleeves. Can't find an image.

But I have imposed a Self-denying Ordinance that I must finish at least two of the not-finished-yet projects before approaching it.

[ 22. January 2016, 18:55: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The word for this is stash. You have a stash! Furthermore, when you go to the store to buy more yarn, this is (for the sake of the acronym) termed a Stash Enhancement Xpedition. I met my editor once at a convention, and we went to a local yarn discount outlet. As we departed her husband turned proudly to the pal sitting next to him and announced, "Teresa is going off with Brenda to have SEX." It is always fun to see a spontaneous spit-take.

Genius [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I realise, after searching through Etsy, that what I was describing was, in fact, a poncho, with the sides sewn up and the sleeves and neck as described. It is a credit to the designer that, even when I was told where it came from, I did not immediately label it as a poncho. I think it was very fine alpaca. But it had no stripes and no fringe.

Found the very thing. Primavera sleeved poncho

When I make mine, it will be different in details. Am I allowed to do this?

[ 22. January 2016, 19:21: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes. It must be different! This is what crafty people do. Take an idea and adapt it - what a gorgeous pattern it is. Very practical. No floppy bits to get scungy when working about the house.
Plspost pics when done!!!!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I am now very doubtful. It is a named designer. Working with Fairtrade. But if I were to buy one, I couldn't wear it anywhere I might be seen by the original purchaser, because I don't want to be a copycat. She does know I have intentions with regard to the Lopi.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The word for this is stash. You have a stash! Furthermore, when you go to the store to buy more yarn, this is (for the sake of the acronym) termed a Stash Enhancement Xpedition.

Itcan also lead, all too easily, to SABLE - Stash Above And Beyond Life Expectancy.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Yes. It must be different! This is what crafty people do. Take an idea and adapt it - what a gorgeous pattern it is. Very practical. No floppy bits to get scungy when working about the house.
Plspost pics when done!!!!

Note the SDO in application. It may be some time...

I have currently a cardigan that needs finishing. Some years ago I bought it from a charity shop because I loved the yarn. It was a bobbly one, space dyed, with pinks and greens and it reminded me of our garden in Sover in summer, full of different varieties of helianthemum. After I had worn it to work one day, I realised it really needed welts added to the waist and the cuffs, and was looking at it in the mirror when I realised the original knitter had not used two strand in alternate rows to break up blocks of colour, and there was a huge pink blob over one side of the front. So I unpicked it and re-knitted it, hoping I could get away with no re-knitting the sleeves. But they've been the problem, as I am knitting them down to avoid problems with quantities, and I can't get the reductions right. Also the yarn doesn't like being unpicked and re-knitted much.
I spent ages in the library hunting down the yarn on the internet, manufacturer by manufacturer, thumbnail by thumbnail, (didn't have a working computer at the time) and did manage to get a couple more balls, which didn't quite match as the makers dye to order and had no sample. (Colinette - brilliant range, but they don't do either the yarn or quite the colour any more.)

So I have to finish the sleeves.

The other one is more of a maths job, as I decided to knit on circular needles, when the pattern had the rows diagonal, and I got lost round the neck. I'm doing that in a Peruvian yarn from Mirasol, and I'm disappointed that John Lewis have given up supporting a good cause with a good product. It's a mixed colour yarn again in oranges and pinks - not very pink, but pinks close to orange.

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I am currently resisting the urge to buy some Icelandic Lopi yarn for my stash. I saw it in a shop in Iceland, a finer than usual yarn in gorgeous colours, on a Sunday. Then I found that I could get it online from a dealers in the same county back home. But I had no idea what to knit with it.

Lopi

And better colour range... More Lopi

You are a Bad Person for tempting me like that. Despite the long list of projects I already have, I've bookmarked both those sites, and will have to try and do some lacework in Icelandic wool now!

The only reason I haven't already bought some of the yarn is that the fabric of the house currently has priority over everything bar food (that and my credit card is in a different room [Two face] ).

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Have you noticed that on the second site, if you click on one of the colour words, it presents you with all the colours that fit that description? Some appear in more than one place, such as turquoise, which is in blue and green as well as its own spot. Makes choosing colour patterning easier. I'm going to have to start with one ball in order to work out how much I'm going to need over all.

[ 22. January 2016, 22:08: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If this is pure wool Lopi, it is very warm. It is what they knit Icelandic sweaters out of. Also it is somewhat harsh to the hand. i note that the garment you link to is of Alpaca -- a much softer wool.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sister-in-law belongs to a quilting group. Whoever dies with the biggest stash wins [Biased]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
If this is pure wool Lopi, it is very warm. It is what they knit Icelandic sweaters out of. Also it is somewhat harsh to the hand. i note that the garment you link to is of Alpaca -- a much softer wool.

I've got a Lopi sweater - one of my target purchases on my trip to the country, and I wouldn't call it harsh, though it is obviously not as soft as alpaca. I have a half finished project with some alpaca I was given as a leaving present by a colleague. I had to give the spindle back to another colleague before I'd finished. The sweater is definitely warm, though, but I haven't had really cold weather to test it on. The knit has quite a loft to it, with a lot of air held in the structure. I won't be aiming at that texture, though, as the Einband Lopi is quite fine.
What is bothering me is the colour work part, as it needs to be reversible, so simply using Icelandic, Fairisle or other Nordic colour work won't do. I am looking forward to using a wide variety of the colours in the blue/green ranges. Somehow.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Reversible colorwork, hmm. You might google on 'mosaic knitting' and see if that is reversible. I am having great luck with two-color brioche rib cabling. It is perfectly reversible (dark-on-light cables on one side and light-on-dark on the other). But it's a complicated technique.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I had thought of that, but it might be too thick. There are some machine slip stitch techniques which could be done by hand which might work. I can't work out from the pictures what the original technique was.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I'm getting some ideas from looking online, and I've had one on colours. I'm thinking the midnight blue for the main colour with aurora colours for the colourwork, using a pattern which breaks them up so they aren't too garish!
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
The word for this is stash. You have a stash! Furthermore, when you go to the store to buy more yarn, this is (for the sake of the acronym) termed a Stash Enhancement Xpedition.

Itcan also lead, all too easily, to SABLE - Stash Above And Beyond Life Expectancy.
If you don't have appropriate heirs, you can put me in your will -- I'll bless your name every time I cast on, in a knitter's version of masses for your soul, or whatever suits an ordinary decent pagan. [Big Grin]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kimono skirt

is

finished.

It was tremendous fun to make [Big Grin]

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

That's gorgeous!

I once bought a skirt made from sari offcuts, but it wasn't up to that.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The twisty paths of the knitter:
Began a baby blanket, out of powder-blue yarn from the stash. No ball band, so I have no idea what it is, but it feels like cotton. Knit half a blanket and ran out.
Went to store, to find a matching or complementary yarn. No can do. Found a vivid variegated in yellow with colored bits, and a coordinating green. Bought a ball of each.
Went home, added another dozen rows in green to blanket. It looks terrible, and is not quite the right weight, so the two halves of the blanket will drape differently. Impossible.
New thought: entrelac. I will buy one more ball of the green, and knit a blanket in yellow and green entrelac squares until the yellow runs out. Then i will use the second ball of green to make the border, which will be in a knit-purl checker pattern to keep up the squares motif. The entire concept came to me in a flash; all I have to do is knti it.
This still leaves me with half a cotton blanket in powder blue. Maybe I should search purely on weight and fiber, and plan to buy either white or off-white -- boring but indubitably not clashing.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I don't know where my college sheet on identifying fibres lurks, but a fairly effective test for them is to take a very small piece and hold it briefly in a flame. The resulting behaviour - charring, melting, burning enthusiastically, whatever - and smell should help determine what you have. (Compare with known materials, though some characteristics are obviously synthetics.) I know I have a yarn which is similar to cotton but isn't - but is unlikely to be what you have because it was produced by a defunct French company some while back.

[ 26. January 2016, 14:45: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

They now can make acrylics that are almost indistinguishable from wool or cotton. The other idea is to simply throw the thing into water. Cotton will hold water in a way that acrylic will not.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Burn Test

I am quite delighted to find that I had correctly remembered that one fibre had a fishy smell - though I hadn't remembered it was acrylic. The first test I found didn't identify the smell - strangely, almost 50 years on, I can recall what it smelled like.

I was also surprised to find just how inflammable cotton is.

[ 26. January 2016, 14:54: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

I blame you all for encouraging me that is OK to accumulate wool....and other craft supplies. In my brain I'm going, it's OK it's only SEX. Thanks people!

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a pleasure. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It’s been a while since I made any craft projects but I have a fun new one.

In a couple of weeks, we are having a party chez rouge. It is a fancy dress party and the theme is Star Wars.

Having looked around at costumes, the ones I like are mostly kind of expensive, so I have decided to bite the bullet and get my sewing machine out. I am going make my very own E-wok. The other advantage of this is that AFAICT commercially-made E-wok disguises for adults don’t exist, so I shall be the only one at the do.

I have ordered this pattern to use as a base along with some furry fabric. (No doubt it’s going to be bloody hot to wear but such is life.) I figure I just need to lose the tail and adapt the ears. After that I need to make it a headdress and get me a bow and arrow from somewhere.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You are bold, bloody and resolute! I have made a complete Jedi outfit (tunic, tabard, big brown robe) which can handily be worn with pants and boots that I already own.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Back to my aurora top - I have realised that I can knit the cowl part separately on circular needles while on the trip, before I do the body. I wonder if they will let me on the plane with it.
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Penny, I've taken circular needles on planes before without any trouble. Passengers seem intrigued that security let them past, but mine are wooden and the tips screw off so I sometimes stash them in a pencil case with a few other long slim wooden cylinders for extra sneakiness.

Likewise wooden or plastic crochet hooks - I once asked about crochet hooks when knitting needles were specifically ruled out and no-one could give me a straight answer. On that occasion I erred on the side of caution and moved the hook to my hold luggage for that trip and went with the pencil-case approach on the way back.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thanks. I did ask about a crochet hook once, and was told definitely not by some youth about 17 who didn't know what I was talking about and described it as among "those things you women use". I had to release a pressure valve when I came off the phone!

I expect they'd notice if I started using them, though.

[ 09. February 2016, 09:56: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If you feel nervousness about it, it is worth going to the TSA site (or the equivalent where you are) and printing out their list of what to bring or not bring. Then you can hold it up before the wondering eyes of the 17-year-old.
Knitting needles and crochet hooks are OK as of this writing. We have very carefully not mentioned to the authorities the dreadful power of a long straight steel Addy Turbo (with one of sufficient gauge I could undertake to pin a man to his airline seat like a butterfly onto a board) and how the circular needle is well suited for use as a garrote. There have been mystery novels written, in which the weapon was a circular knitting needle -- Ruth Rendell wrote one. The detectives spent the whole book wandering among the red herrings, contemplating crochet hooks, hairpin looms and tatting shuttles with dumb amazement.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

He was on the phone - I'm guessing at the actual, rather than mental age.

I'm going to ring up the company!

What's the Ruth Rendell book? Even though I now have the spoilers. (Tatting shuttles? What could be done with a tatting shuttle? Though I suppose the pointy bit could have a ricin pellet fixed to it.)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Drat, cannot find it on Goodreads. It was a Wexford novel, one of the earlier ones, but there may have been a change of title between the US and the UK editions which is flummoxing me. I have a copy of it at home -- the cover has a pair of knitting needles on it. Let me get back to you.

--------------------

Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could it be 'The Veiled One'?

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

No, too recent. It was one of her early Wexfords.

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found this from 'The Veiled One' so it may be the one

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yes, that's it! Had to go down and take the copy out of the bookshelf.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ewok progress report: I should have bought fur fabric with shorter fur. Mine has hairs about an inch long, which means that you snip the pile in half and detach it from the backing when you cut it out. I have already hoovered twice and I am still finding bits of it everywhere.

The jumpsuit and hat are now basically finished except for the elastic around the wrists, ankles and face. Though I say so myself, it is muchly cute. Apparently the temperature is going to plummet this week, which from my point of view is not such a bad thing. It might stop me keeling over from heat exhaustion in my furry creation [Biased] .

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have finally got the right coloured yarn to start Sandemaniac's cricket sweater! (Managed to order beige to start with, then discovered that there's a much better off-white shade available. Of course, the shade specified in the pattern is no longer made [Roll Eyes] ). This will be my first knitting project that isn't a simple shape (except for the gloves), and my first with a lot of cable work in. Nothing like going in at the deep end!

Tension-checking square is being knitted over the weekend. Then I see if I need to change needles...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016