homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mantras

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Mantras
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to look down upon mantras as something quite unnecessary [though in my Anglo-Catholic days I had used a rosary] but then I started reading Thich Nhat Hahn and came across this little gem which I find a brilliant introduction to a period of silence. Over the years I have reduced it to just four significant words:

[on in-breath] - Calm

[on out-breath] - Smile

[on in-breath] - Present

[on out-breath] - Wonderful

I find it helpful in getting me centered into what I am about to do.

Does anyone else you use a mantra to kick-start into silence?

What really helps you to centre into your silence?

[ 01. November 2016, 02:17: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
two-stroke version

[in breath] Lord Jesus Christ
[out breath] Have mercy on me a sinner

four-stroke version

[in] Lord Jesus Christ
[out] Son of God
[in] have mercy on me
[out] a sinner

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often say a prayer based on the Pavamāna Mantra (from the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad):

O Lord, from the unreal lead me to the real;
from darkness lead me into light;
from death lead me to immortality.
May there be peace;
may there be peace;
may there be peace.

I use it especially when I find myself thinking too much - which is often. I also use it when I am waiting in a queue or at a red light (for example), taking that as an opportunity to be still and peaceful, rather than trying to fill the gap somehow.

In the second part I think the first time of peace in myself; the second time of peace for those around me; the third time of peace in the world.

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kyrie Iesou Christo, / eleison me.

I am alive; / I am with you

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come Lord Jesus
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried several before I settled on "Maranatha." Anything like the Jesus prayer is, for me, far too wordy and any other single words (Jesus, peace, love) far too loaded.

Ma - in breath
Ra - out breath
Na - in breath
Tha - out breath

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey Nenya - you did me a favour there. Thanks.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to be of service. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like many of the ideas here!

I will often use a phrase decided upon that moment to counter something like negative self-talk that's distracting me or causing me to be anxious.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016