homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Who Christmas

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Who Christmas
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I thought this year's Special was unmitigated rubbish and further evidence not only that Moffat should go, but that this recent "tradition" should be put to bed as well. However, I am well known for being a miserable old git on these issues - what did the rest of you think?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're definitely a miserable old git -- I loved it. Thought it was quite fluffy, but lots of fun the way it played around with the silly comic-book tropes.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed it as well. Light, frothy fun.

But I agree it's well time Moffatt goes.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't hate it. As has been said, it was just frothy fun with no deep message. I was a bit surprised that it didn't really try to set up anything for the return of the series. No hook, no cliffhanger.

On a related topic, I did enjoy watching the animated "The Power of the Daleks." I have long had the audio for that story (the first to feature a regenerated Doctor) but the animation helps immensely in appreciating what is going on. It really is one of the better Dalek stories!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed it and the husband, who HATES Capaldi, actually watched it with me. Sure, it wasn't deep and dark--but honestly, it's the Christmas special and doesn't need to be.
I like the valet--looking forward to seeing more of him--and I like that we now know that the Doctor and River did spend the last 24 years of her life together. [Axe murder]

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first saw this topic, I thought it must be about the How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it too. But when I saw the diagonal face scars I could not help thinking about this.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the heads opening up.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also love, love, love Matt Lucas as Nardole and was happy to see in the sneak preview for the upcoming season that we'll see more of him. I don't know why they need to introduce yet another pretty young girl as a companion: the Doctor and Matt Lucas having adventures in time and space is about all I'd ever require.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I am aware Nardole is in for the whole 2017 series.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nardole, for me, was one of the many things to spoil the episode. Mercifully I had completely forgotten his last experience, and had to look him up, but he seems too close to Jar Jar Binks for comfort - there for "comic" effect and nothing else.

However, when Hedgehog says:
quote:
On a related topic, I did enjoy watching the animated "The Power of the Daleks."
I must agree completely. It is a wonderful story, and hearing a Dalek say "I am your servant," remains very creepy. My only quibble is that the animation makes all the men look as though they have black eyes; otherwise it's grand.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
When I first saw this topic, I thought it must be about the How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
[Hot and Hormonal]

Right there with you ...

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Nardole, for me, was one of the many things to spoil the episode. Mercifully I had completely forgotten his last experience, and had to look him up, but he seems too close to Jar Jar Binks for comfort - there for "comic" effect and nothing else.

I don't have a problem with comic-effect or clown-type characters as long as they are actually funny. I loathe Jar Jar Binks, but not because he's only in the movie for comic effect -- it's because he's there for comic effect, but is not at all funny. Whereas I find Matt Lucas as Nardole hilarious, so I'm happy to see him in that role. But humour is, of course, notoriously subjective.
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frothy fun with superhero tropes, just the thing for dark times. Not a single reference to anything Christmassy, which makes me wonder whether it was originally intended as part of the regular series.

Patted myself on the back early on when I recognised what the mention of the names Siegel and Schuster meant.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not a single reference to anything Christmassy
Like the expectation of an elderly man to be fed milk and a biscuit on a particular evening?
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ehhh ... guess so. In the UK he gets sherry and a mince pie
though! (But the setting was Manhattan so, yeah.)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally watched it. I'd been saving it because I wanted to watch again the episodes I'd kept from 2015. Including Christmas 2015...

...Which didn't help at all for the first half of the episode. Because I remembered the fate of Nardole, I found myself wondering how the heck Nardole ended up wandering around with the Doctor. And he really was just wandering around, contributing nothing whatsoever to the story. It took until more than halfway for those things to be 'fixed'.

There were other things I had problems with too, again mostly in the first half. It felt tonally all over the place, trying to do too many things at once. Superman and alien sci-fi (the diagonally sliced head lifted, just like Nardole, from the 2015 Christmas) simultaneously just felt... a bit awkward. It took a long time to gel, and the whole initial premise of the creation of the superhero was poor.

And finally, Mr Huffle is one of the most pointless and not-funny things I've ever come across. There are two elements that have the potential to continue on into the coming series, and I am dreading the fact that one of them is Mr Huffle.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I was a bit surprised that it didn't really try to set up anything for the return of the series. No hook, no cliffhanger.

UNIT has been infiltrated. That sure looked like a hook to me. And it was one of the most redeeming bits.

[ 03. January 2017, 10:44: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
I enjoyed it and the husband, who HATES Capaldi, actually watched it with me. Sure, it wasn't deep and dark--but honestly, it's the Christmas special and doesn't need to be.
I like the valet--looking forward to seeing more of him--and I like that we now know that the Doctor and River did spend the last 24 years of her life together. [Axe murder]

I liked it too. It was light hearted, fun and worked perfectly as a one off whilst setting up the season. You know those things are going to be back. Which means more UNIT. Yay! Not sure about Bill yet, but I like the Matt Lucas character. He's very different companion wise. It'll be interesting to see what the new showrunner does too.

I have Powers of the Daleks to watch. So looking forward to it!

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016