homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Timewasters

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Timewasters
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, we have snowdays and geoguessr; what other timewasters have you found?
Here is a new one: Land Lines

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Drag" function is fun. And I just wound up 10 miles away from where I am at. [Snigger]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I just wasted about ten minutes with Land Lines. Got a lot of Arizona- looks like you can find ANY shape in Arizona. The coolest thing that came up was Liberty Island, looking straight down on the Statue of Liberty. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooo! Ooo! Give this a whirl: Kaleidoscope Painter!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

It's your fault I didn't get to bed at a reasonable hour last night [Biased] .

Thanks for posting that - I love it.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oooh! I remember that one from when I was first on the internet in the late 90s!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[/qb][/QUOTE]Oooh! I remember that one from when I was first on the internet in the late 90s! [/QB][/QUOTE]

Jigidi has been around for a few years, too.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are several "daily jigsaw" sites - I love them.

When I'm in the mood for Geoguesser I can have some very late nights indeed.

Does anyone else find you can be several continents away on one round, and within a few feet the next?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

Jigidi has been around for a few years, too.

JigZone is my preferred daily timewaster.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Oooh! I remember that one from when I was first on the internet in the late 90s!
Yeah, I seem to remember seeing it at a UCLA site back around 2000. I assumed one of the Bruin nerds came up with it. I'm not sure if that is true.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use the geoguesser version that only hangs out in the UK. I find it curious how many times it arrives in a cul-de-sac in a boring modern estate, or, conversely, down a long and winding lane with passing spaces, and never lets me use my knowledge of the geology to guess where I am. There are lots of hilly bits about the islands, but it doesn't like them very much. (Except once, when it landed by a notable mountain in the west of Scotland.) It did once land by a roundabout on the way to my local Lidl, but usually chooses places where there is nothing distinguishable.

I take a screen grab of the starting position, go off to find some sort of notice, signpost or such, and then engage Google Maps and Street View to get within a few yards/metres of the start.

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Make the neural network guess your sketches....

I still don't know if I'm more disappointed when it doesn't get 5 out of 5 or when it does.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
226.2m away, BOOYAH!

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1.3m - helped by it being at the very end of a footpath!
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

I take a screen grab of the starting position

The small flag will also take you back to the start.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I've said of GeoGuessr before that I think it adapts to one's points accumulated during the game. I was playing on my mobile, not using any assistance, only encountering one road sign with lettering, spending <30sec on any map and coming within a few hundred miles at furthest. Then, for the last map, it drops me in a spot that cannot be moved from. No roads, no trails, just a couple of pale people climbing the hill towards the camera. So I took a wild guess, based on the light and plant types. Came within a few degrees latitude, but on the wrong side of the pond.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the spirit of getting whatever laughs you can in troubled times, I highly recommend wasting a few minutes on trumpdonald.org/

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
In the spirit of getting whatever laughs you can in troubled times, I highly recommend wasting a few minutes on trumpdonald.org/

I must be missing something -- I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to do (or what I was supposed to do)?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Put your cursor on the horn and drag it around his head and his eyes will follow it. Then left click. The horn will blow Trump's comb-over, make him blink, and sometimes will spray him with confetti. [Snigger]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I've tried it in Internet Explorer and Opera -- the trumpet bounces up and down, but that's all. My cursor can't get it to do anything.
[Waterworks]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Chrome?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pigwidgeon--

Maybe check what permissions you have set for the page?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Pigwidgeon--

Maybe check what permissions you have set for the page?

I tried that.

It looks like a cute time waster, but frankly not cute enough to install another web browser (I really didn't like Chrome when I tried it on my previous computer).

I guess I'll just have to buy my own trumpet and head to the White House...

--------------------
~Tortuf

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, it's mildly amusing, but not enough to be worth installing a whole new browser!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like completing these, especially the colour ones. They can be pretty addictive though nonograms .

To try to be a bit more productive with my free time I'm back on Duolingo Last year I did the French course. It's fun though you have to keep revising or doing language learning elsewhere to remember it all (at least I do!) This year I have started the Irish course. They're pretty good for a free website.

[ 02. February 2017, 09:38: Message edited by: Mili ]

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016