homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Before church

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Before church
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something mentioned on another thread made me think of this: If you go to a church service on Sunday morning, what takes place in your day before you go to church? I assume most people do get dressed, but what else? Do you eat breakfast? Do you start reading the Sunday newspaper? Walk the dog? Read a Bible passage? Struggle with other family members who want to sleep late? Feed the goldfish? Make telephone calls?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I walk to the corner store for a paper and eat breakfast. We start at 9:30 so there isn't much time unless I want to get up really early. Sometimes I do yoga.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're 1115. Get up lateish, walk dog, relaxed breakfast with Mrs A, wash up, change into decent clothes and there you are.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read the Spectator in bed, get up, go off to church at 1055 for an 1100 start. Residual Pusey House indoctrination means I tend not to have breakfast beforehand unless I'm ill if it's a communion.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get up 6.30ish. Shower etc., dress, breakfast, last bits of preparation then out for the 8.00.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends upon which service we're attending. The preferred pattern is to rise around 6 to 6.30, walk Dog which will include having a coffee somewhere depending on where we walk, breakfast, shower and dress then leave for church (which is not a 5 minute walk, oh that it were!).

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The alarm clock goes off at 8. After the news bulletin I get up, make 2 mugs of coffee nd return to bed, where we listen to local radio until 9.

Then I get up and cook bacon eggs and fried bread (AKA health food in Yorkshire). LRP rings for a taxi to get the M*th*r-in-L*w to church, which we walk to, just under a mile, to arrive around 10.30 for a 10.45 service.

The walk back home is often through the local park.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My radio comes on automatically at 6am, even at weekends. At that time on a Sunday morning, Radio 4 is playing a rather bizarre programme called Something Understood . Even if you are wide awake, there's some pretty weird shit going on there, but if you're half asleep (as I invariably am) it's rather like taking some sort of hallucinogenic drugs.

I remain is a state of semi slumber as my dreams are invaded by Claire Balding and a bit later on by some bishop or another.

When the morning service comes on, I realise I've slept longer than I intended, so it's then a mad rush to eat breakfast, shower, dress and then drive to church in time for morning prayer.

[ 10. January 2017, 21:26: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm up, showered and dressed early on Sunday mornings to allow time for a light breakfast and quick glance through the Sunday paper. I need to leave home in good time so as to be at church by 9.30am for choir practice and robing prior to our 10.30am Choral Eucharist. In January, when our choir is on a Summer break, everything is much more relaxed.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
... I remain is a state of semi slumber as my dreams are invaded by Claire Balding and a bit later on by some bishop or another ...

Quotes file, methinks! [Killing me]

We are house- and cat-sitting at the moment, so our current Sunday morning routine is: alarm at about 6:45, when I get up to feed the cat, then go back to bed for another hour or so. Then get up, shower, wake D. and get dressed in time to be at the Cathedral for choir rehearsal at 9:15 and service at 10, with a stop en route at the Tim Horton's drive-through to get coffee for me and tea for D.

What is this "breakfast" of which you speak? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
6am - wake up, get up, take first meds, stoke stove. Back to bed, sleep (hopefully):
9am - get up again, perform ablutions, have toast (one with marmalade, one with Marmite), take second meds. Dress (casual-but-neat). Sit down for a wee while:
1005am - leave home for walk up veeeeery steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep hill to current Church for 1030am Eucharist.

(Our Place, where I serve as Reader, is several miles distant, so at present I'm only going there on special occasions when lifts are available!)

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sleep in until 8, Splash water on face, having bathed the night before, throw on clothes leave nuts out for blue jay. Ring bell 3 times, Father Son and Holy Spirit to let jay know his breakfast is on the railing. He has trained himself to the bell. Walk dog, feed dog, Wash hair, eat toast and juice, check mail, do odd bits around the house, dress for church, leave at 11:15 to drive to 11:30 service.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alarm at 7, Clare Balding & tea in bed.

Up at about 9.00, coffee, leave for church at 10.00.

Unless we have a Sunday morning music practice, in which case it's up at about 8.30, no coffee, leave at 9.00.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that our church has shifted the 8:30 a.m. service to 9, life is easier. Rise at 7:30, eat breakfast and drink coffee. Feed cats second breakfast. (Like hobbits they get two breakfasts and two dinners, and sometimes elevenses.) Dress up and drive off.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get up about 8.30. Drag Daughter out of bed. Have breakfast. Panic about being late for choir practice. Usually arrive just in time before the choirmaster starts frowning sternly at the latecomers, and wake up properly halfway through practising the psalm.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The alarm goes off and I move from the bed to the sofa to watch the 2nd half of Match of the Day, which I will typically have been watching the night before and gone to bed part way through.

Have a leisurely breakfast with decent coffee while I then shout at the tv when the Marr Show is on.

When it's over at 10, it's time to get ready for church, which includes packing the bag for the foodbank, finding a suitable bible (church uses the NASB, though I don't have one - NRSV is reasonably close - Amplified is a big no-no) and checking the weather forecast. I then nip out at 10:15, wait for a bus, walk half a mile at the other end and hope to make it in time for the 10:45 service.

I always position myself on the left, partly as a reflection of my politics, but also it helps to catch the sun as it moves around, so I can be sat in the warmth of the rays during the sermon. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
... so I can be sat in the warmth of the rays during the sermon. [Big Grin]

If I were in the warmth of the sun during the sermon I'd probably doze off ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Sipech:
... so I can be sat in the warmth of the rays during the sermon. [

Tangent In my youth and newly engaged I use to sit in the warmth of the sun so I could look at the stain glass reflected on my new diamond ring. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This from the thread referred to in the OP, I think, but with some expansion.

For me, an 11am start allows me to listen to the first hour of a current affairs programme, CBC R1's The Sunday Edition. I have a tea, shower, shave, choose my tie (proper liturgical colour if I remember). I walk to the Cathedral, service, walk back to the neighbourhood pub for a pint and a chat. The pint and chat is extraordinarily therapeutic. Bobby, the father of one of the owners, is usually there April though October, interrogates me about the homily, and then we banter, needling one another and self-deprecating by turns. It is, in its own way, a type of fellowship that evokes The Little Vagabond, and I rather miss him when he relocates south for the winter. Then home to begin the day, but by then it's 2-2:30pm. A late start, even without having to contend with partner, children, etc. Make some tea or pour a glass of wine, and start planning dinner, listening to the radio (Tapestry - spiritual issues, then Writers & Co.). Finish reading the Saturday newspaper.

I mention wearing a tie. I'm not a martinet about how one dresses for church, but I rather like wearing a tie. I had to at university, at work in finance, and it feels quite natural.

The funny thing about everyone's report is that however different in detail they are, they share a sense very comfortable order, almost coziness. I wonder whether that's part of the reason that we attend church - it imposes a simple gentle structure on our day.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wake as usual around 5.30. Get up - go to study. Read, pray and if I am preaching or leading that day go over the service.

At about 8ish take tea to Mrs M. Shave, bath (listen to wireless usually Radio 4), dress, make sure I have everything.

Leave for church at 10.30 no later than 9.30 - usually picking someone up on the way. At church, coffee and make sure everything is sorted for the service. Sit quiet and pray; pray with others

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a brief moment, I wondered who "Mrs M. Shave" might be. Then the penny dropped!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds pretty much like a perfect Sunday, Pangolin Guerre.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wash/shower, dress then make coffee for Mrs S, get stuff together for bring'n'share lunch (typicaly CAKE made the night before) then quick breakfast. We are about 30 minutes drive from our shack so breakfast may be omitted but never coffee. Mrs S would rather arrive late.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two "before church" rituals, depending on whether it's a day I'm on music duties or not.

If I am, it's up at 6:30/7:00, ablutions, kick off the coffee, walk dog, clear up last night's chaos whilst drinking coffee, feed dog, sit on floor with dog drinking another coffee, head out just before 9:00 to rehearse before the service starts (10:15).

If I'm not, the start time is the same, but there's more coffee and relaxation. And quite often not actually getting to church at all.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get up and shower listening to Radio 4

Unload dishwasher while old-fashioned stove-top percolator makes coffee

Coffee (double or triple espresso) and scan the paper.

If summer maybe hang washing on line.

Drive to arrive at church 20 minutes before service begins - may be earlier if I haven't been to church the day before to put service music ready in vestry.

Service is at 10:00 and drive takes c15 minutes in the winter, more in summer thanks to cyclists and riders.

[ 12. January 2017, 12:46: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
.... what takes place in your day before you go to church? Struggle with other family members who want to sleep late?

Sunday is my wife's day for a lie-in, so my struggle is with family members who want to get up early......(aged 3 and 7)

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
BabyWombat
Shipmate
# 18552

- Posted      Profile for BabyWombat   Email BabyWombat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alarm goes off at 5. Coffee, final review of sermon if I am preaching, check e-mail and on-line news from two different sites. Breakfast (cottage cheese and an apple usually), shower, shave, dress. Leave by 6:30 to get to church (30 min drive from home these days) early enough to sort things out before our first Eucharist at 7:30.

--------------------
Let us, with a gladsome mind…..

Posts: 102 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Sunday mornings I sleep in till 6.45. I then make double the usual amount of porridge, as on this day not only will husband partake, but I will also consume the oaty gloop, as this will keep me sustained through two services on my feet. Gloriously leave husband to cope with the rising, or otherwise, of teenage offspring (my job the rest of the week, when there ican be no otherwise about it). Leave the house by 9, and sometimes stop by a lonely lochan on the way to the first service to finish my prayers. Reach first church 35 minutes before service, ready to cope with what I may find: knee-deep snow which no one has remembered to shovel, or, this week, heating which has forgotten to come on.....

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm up at 6.00 a.m., my usual weekday time, and after the usual routine and breakfast, I then try to get as much of the next week's pewsheet prepared as I can, check over the hymn list, check I have everything I need musically, then have some time just to be with God before I leave the house at 8.45 a.m. for the five minute walk to church to get set up and prepared for organ playing.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Around 8:30 feline house guest informs me that the day has started, at 9:00 I emerge and she snuggles into the warmth that I have left. I potter around until around 10:10 when I realise I should have left by now, then hurtle down the hill on my bike, arriving usually just as the announcements are finishing at the start of our 10:30 service. Although if I am on coffee duty I am usually much earlier. Maybe I should be on coffee duty more.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now we have a late service again, the early morning is time for a hike in the woods on a good day, or sometimes, for reasons that elude me, on an exceptional day I can do an hour or so of work at the computer on the current project. I don't know why that works so well, but that's when I do some of my best work: I work quickly, and when it goes well it settles me nicely for worship. It is no doubt a dreadful breach of good presbyterian Lord's Day observance, but it works.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get up earlier than Mrs Eluia. I get the paper and read a bit of it, make coffee, and then we listen to the Sunday Puzzle on National Public Radio.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016