homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Desert Song

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Desert Song
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isaiah 35

Yes, I have been through the desert, but not necessarily on a horse with no name. Hell, for most of my life I have lived in the desert--in the lava fields of Southern Idaho, and on the edge of the Mojave Desert in Southern California. I have been through such desolate places as the Great Salt Lake Basin, most of Nevada and Eastern Oregon. I have climbed a number of great Sand Dunes. I have traveled through Death Valley several times. Admittedly I have never been in some of the greater deserts of the world because of my limited overseas travel.

Because of my experience,though, the desert song of first Isaiah speaks well to me. I have seen the floor of Death Valley erupt in bloom with just a little bit of rain. Some of those flowers can lay dormant for decades, but a little moister will bring them back to life.

Isaiah, of course, was speaking to a people who had been recently exiled through the Babylonian captivity. They had been uprooted and are now in the deserts of Babylon. Their throats are parched, their hands are feeble, their knees are weak. And yet the prophet, who must have been with them, foretells their salvation is near.

I wonder how the Hebrew people forced into exile received the message.

I referenced the Horse With No Name song because of the last line in the third verse.

Under the cities lies a heart made of ground But the humans will give no love

Does this passage still preach today?

[ 05. December 2016, 18:20: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought occurred that if Christians today are also in exile (between the times, on the way, "already, but not yet"), then the passage should speak to us.

There does seem to be a tension though between the model of Daniel, Esther, and Jeremiah's advice to knuckle down and on with work, and the model of returning through a desert. On the one had we are asked to work for the good of the empire, on the other to seek a way out.

Interesting.

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I Love this passage, it reassures me that God is mindful of the wilderness place, that it's not forgotten.

I'm encouraged that this is the very place God seems to delight most in showing up and bringing fruitfulness.

I'm inspired by the reminder that it's all of our responsibility to sustain one another's faith and hope in the time of discouragement.

However, what truly bowls me over is the idea that it is the rubble of the wilderness that God uses to build a highway that goes straight to His presence.

I'm certain all of these things spoke to those wandering (and wondering) exiles.

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016