homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Videos and images of worship, redux (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Videos and images of worship, redux
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the new thread for images, vids, and other assorted Internet resources of a worship-based or liturgical nature.

As FCB wisely said whilst starting the original 'Ecclesiantics videos' thread many moons ago, 'it would be good to have a thread where people can post links to such videos and folks can offer their comments on them'.

And so, here is the new place for such posts and discussions... enjoy!

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

(Link to original thread)

[ 17. July 2010, 19:47: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
aredstatemystic
Shipmate
# 11577

- Posted      Profile for aredstatemystic   Author's homepage   Email aredstatemystic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a charming little video on the history of Grace-St. Luke's in Memphis, Tennessee. It was apparently made in their search for a new Rector. It is full of great Southern mannerisms and tells a good story.

--------------------
http://aredstatemystic.wordpress.com/

Posts: 154 | From: Oh, You Know. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yeah, I love the crumbly eucharistic bread -- Jesus can be all over the chancel carpet. Charming, indeed. Not.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the first in a series of videos showing Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk serving the Divine Liturgy in the Basilica of St Ambrose in Milan, on his fairly recent visit to Italy. It's quite amazing seeing the Liturgy served in that setting. He also served in the equally stunning setting at Ravenna.

This last one is at home in Moscow but it's such a splendid photograph, I thought I'd share it. He even appears to be wearing his chandelier-shaped mitre.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aredstatemystic:
Here's a charming little video on the history of Grace-St. Luke's in Memphis, Tennessee. It was apparently made in their search for a new Rector. It is full of great Southern mannerisms and tells a good story.

The video is remarkably frank about the failings and foibles of past rectors, and of the parish itself.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who feels somewhat intruded on when videoed while I'm praying?
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Am I the only one who feels somewhat intruded on when videoed while I'm praying?

It depends. If I'm saying private prayers at some shrine or other and someone comes to take close-up photographs of me, I suppose I'd feel that a little intrusive. However, if the person wanted to do take a photograph from a distance, I don't think I'd have a problem. There are some quite beautiful moments that can be captured on film/in cellulite of quiet, holy places, with people experiencing somethng of the mystery of the place. I like to think that they depict real moments aren't aren't photographs for which someone posed. There's something artificial and veering in the direction of the commercial that I don't like about the thought of that.

As for public services, I don't have any problem with this at all. I suppose I've been conditioned by the usual rules of filming/photography, which are that if you put yourself in a public situation where you would expect to be observed by other people, then expect to be filmed/photographed.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Astley:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
[qb]I like to think that they depict real moments aren't aren't photographs for which someone posed.

Er... and aren't.

--------------------

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came across some lovely videos of parts of mass at Notre Dame de Paris:

Second vespers of Christmas.
Baptism of the Lord.
End of the procession on Palm Sunday
Offertory on Palm Sunday
Communion motet
Those were just some of my favourites. Their choir is very fine, something I never knew. (Evidenced by the Vierne mass)

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This last one is at home in Moscow but it's such a splendid photograph, I thought I'd share it. He even appears to be wearing his chandelier-shaped mitre.

That would be wonderful for the Caption Competition!
[Killing me]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglo-Catholic in Carlsbad - St. Michael's-by-the-Sea (why are those names always written with hyphens?) has recorded Masses online.
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:

Baptism of the Lord.
Offertory on Palm Sunday
Communion motet
Those were just some of my favourites. Their choir is very fine, something I never knew. (Evidenced by the Vierne mass)

If someone could guarantee that Olivier Latry would remain there in perpetuity (pending, of course, eventual mortality), I might even consider conversion.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:

Baptism of the Lord.
Offertory on Palm Sunday
Communion motet

The liturgy and the choir are quite magnificent, but I just can't get to like the steamer trunk and the smoking bucket.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
Anglo-Catholic in Carlsbad - St. Michael's-by-the-Sea (why are those names always written with hyphens?) has recorded Masses online.

It is always good to see how other people do things. In this case I am wondering, why two sets of crucifer and torch-bearer? And I have to say their singing is truly dire!

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChippedChalice
Shipmate
# 14057

- Posted      Profile for ChippedChalice   Email ChippedChalice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
this is slightly off topic, but the video from Grace-St. Luke's in Memphis set me wondering -- the parish seems to have a problem holding on to rectors. What is it, 5 or 6 rectors resigned "under pressure"?

Does anybody know what's going on this parish? It seems like a prominent one -- but, when it comes to its rectors, also seems to have adopted what a seminary professor of mine called the "relationship of a dog to a fire hydrant."

Posts: 131 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about that particular church, but there is always at least one parish in a diocese that makes a habit of chasing away rectors. I've been a member of one that reformed such habits. Usually such parishes stack on unrealistic expectations, move on to grousing about his or her inability to live up to these expectations mercilessly during coffee hour, then blossoming to outright passive aggressive rebellion at vestry meetings. Once the poor sot has left, often reconsidering his or her call to the ministry altogether, the congregation picks a new rector to repeat the process.

Zach

[ 21. July 2010, 13:49: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Here are some photographs of a recent outdoor patriarchal Liturgy in Ukraine. I've shared photographs of this chalice in the past but now the diskos (paten) can be seen with it. I've never seen anything quite like it.

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here are some photographs of a recent outdoor patriarchal Liturgy in Ukraine. I've shared photographs of this chalice in the past but now the diskos (paten) can be seen with it. I've never seen anything quite like it.

You and me both! What remarkable items, and what a fine array of beards [Smile] Are those nuns of a particular order in one of the pictures?

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Low Treason:
quote:

It is always good to see how other people do things. In this case I am wondering, why two sets of crucifer and torch-bearer? And I have to say their singing is truly dire!
They appear also to have a pipe organ that sounds exactly like a Hammond.
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:

You and me both! What remarkable items...
Indeed. Then, if you're expecting a large congregation and many concelebrants, it makes sense to be prepared. [Smile]

quote:
Are those nuns of a particular order in one of the pictures?
Monastics generally tend not to be of any particular order and nuns usually look like the ones here, from that set. You do occasionally find monasteries with nuns looking like this but they are the exception. My guess would be that these ladies probably belong to a religious sisterhood attached to and taking part in the work of a monastery, but are not actually nuns themselves. Some of them are probably married and have children, and offer a certain amount of their time in service at the monastery. I know that the monastery that makes most of our vestments and hangings at church does work with children with special needs, and they have a similar sisterhood to help with this and with their fundraising around Europe and the USA, as they travel around in a van, selling things. They dress almost exactly that way.

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here are some photographs of a recent outdoor patriarchal Liturgy in Ukraine.

Great photos, but I think you're making this up, as clearly (from left to right) these people are Bernard Hill ('Yosser Hughes'), Peter Ustinov, Bill Bailey, Christopher Lee, and John Thompson.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
What remarkable items, and what a fine array of beards [Smile] Are those nuns of a particular order in one of the pictures?

Bearded nuns?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably of the Order of Wilgefortis (St. Uncumber)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilgefortis

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

[Killing me]

What a great photo! It reminds me of all those throne room processional scenes you get at the end of Star Wars or Flash Gordon Movies.
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

I just feed you the straight lines!

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:
Here are some photographs of a recent outdoor patriarchal Liturgy in Ukraine.

Great photos, but I think you're making this up, as clearly (from left to right) these people are Bernard Hill ('Yosser Hughes'), Peter Ustinov, Bill Bailey, Christopher Lee, and John Thompson.
Good grief, you're right! Especially about Bill Bailey. All together now: 'Human slaves, in an insect nation - awwhahhhaw!'

(I'm guessing that reference may be a little obscure to some folks?! [Paranoid] )

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Well, you're all very naughty people! Especially that Chapelhead. [Biased]

To restore you all to some sort of decorum, here are excerpts from a recent hierarchical Liturgy, showing the Lesser entrance and censing, the Trisagion, and the run-up to the Gospel.

I really wish I got to do this more often. [Frown]

[ 30. July 2010, 20:39: Message edited by: Michael Astley ]

--------------------

Saviour Tortoise
Shipmate
# 4660

- Posted      Profile for Saviour Tortoise   Author's homepage   Email Saviour Tortoise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
All together now: 'Human slaves, in an insect nation - awwhahhhaw!'

(I'm guessing that reference may be a little obscure to some folks?! [Paranoid] )

Crabs! Sideways moving quislings...

--------------------
Baptised not Lobotomised

Posts: 745 | From: Bath, UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

I just feed you the straight lines!

Thurible

Bearded women are 'straight'?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

Yes, I know I kicked it off with my ambiguous comment about bearded nuns, but let's not get too far from sensible discussion here people!

Thanks... djo, Eccles host

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dance Party Erupts During Quaker Meeting for Worship

[Smile]

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Killing me]

What a great photo! It reminds me of all those throne room processional scenes you get at the end of Star Wars or Flash Gordon Movies.
It does, doesn't it? And Metropolitan Hilarion scrubs up well. He seems to always wear an omophor (pallium) in the more ancient white with red crosses rather than one that matches the fabric of the vestments. I quite like that and wish more of our hierarchs did the same.

[ 31. July 2010, 12:53: Message edited by: Michael Astley ]

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Actually, a quick google image search revealed that this is quite untrue but he does seem to appear with it often.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Live liturgy from Irish RC churches

Just watched a very interesting Mass from St. Augustine's, Cork, during which the celebrant recited the responsorial psalm himself, saying the word "Response" instead of the actual response, and instead of letting the people say the actual response. Surreal. [Ultra confused]

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

I've come across something like that, too. Except when the officiant said: 'response', the congregation did the response.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
I've come across something like that, too. Except when the officiant said: 'response', the congregation did the response.

Wild! Never imagined or experienced that.

I've always thought that reciting the responsorial psalm without printed text for the people is the worst possible way to pray a psalm at Mass. The people spend the time trying to recall the response, with a slight panicky feeling if the reader or celebrant's bit goes on a little. What was that response again? Oh, that was it (as the celebrant looks over his glasses and says the response in a low voice, disapprovingly).

As opposed to actually praying the psalm knowing at least the words of the refrain.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Here's a video of the only attempt I've ever seen made to sing the Valaam setting of the Phos Hilaron by anybody but the Valaam Monastery choir. I think they did rather well. It is one of my favourites but is beyond the realms of possibility for any group wuth which I sing, (not so much in terms of skill but more to do with limited oppotunities for rehearsal). I'd love to be able to do it one day.

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

And here it is sung by the Valaam choir themselves.

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Killing me]

Yes, isn't that young Anekin Skywalker in the front left corner?

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Copied from another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by The Ship's Chaplain:
Whilst searching around on the video website "Youtube" I found some rather excellent examples of Swedish Lutheran liturgy that you might all be interested in viewing.

I have to say that this is my favourite.

The channel is called karpov89 and can be found by visiting http://www.youtube.com/user/karpov89

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been following along as the Our Lady of Solitude Monastery in Arizona has been building their chapel. Well, they're at the point now where they're installing the reredos.

And my first thought was, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Note the phoenix *is* going on the cloister side...

Ah, well, can't help my cultural background.

The building does look pretty nice, and I like the Agnus Dei on the public side of the reredeos.

[ 27. August 2010, 14:54: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Links for the Pope's visit to the UK can be found here.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can think of several clergy for which this would be a hilariously appropriate recessional as they walk down the aisle.

[Devil]

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

I always like watching videos from this church, especially for the joy on the feasts, but I haven't checked for updates for a while and have been delighted to find this video from the end of their Christmas Liturgy.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

OOoooh, I loved that one, Michael. It was lovely when the singing became slower and almost hushed for the verse une étable est son logement / pour un roi, quelle abaissement (his lodging is a stable; for a king, what humiliation).

-- Mamacita, erstwhile French major.

[ 07. October 2010, 16:08: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
OOoooh, I loved that one, Michael. It was lovely when the singing became slower and almost hushed for the verse une étable est son logement / pour un roi, quelle abaissement (his lodging is a stable; for a king, what humiliation).

-- Mamacita, erstwhile French major.

Oh, I'm so pleased you liked it. I have a great amount of sympathy for these people in the bad treatment they have received from Orthodox in the past and I just love their services. The music is superb but in a homely, "gathered family" sort of way, if you know what I mean - and it seems to reflect the rest of their church life, if the communal effort of Pascha is any standard against which to measure it.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
quote:

Wild! Never imagined or experienced that.

I've always thought that reciting the responsorial psalm without printed text for the people is the worst possible way to pray a psalm at Mass. The people spend the time trying to recall the response, with a slight panicky feeling if the reader or celebrant's bit goes on a little. What was that response again? Oh, that was it (as the celebrant looks over his glasses and says the response in a low voice, disapprovingly).

As opposed to actually praying the psalm knowing at least the words of the refrain.

I have an update on this. We do responsorial psalms and I print the response in the pew sheet so people can have the words in front of them. But I was asked at a recent meeting if I would say the word 'response' to indicate when the response should come in!

When I last posted, I thought I'd never do such a thing! But actually it's fine - the sky hasn't fallen in. And knowing the congo are easier with it and get into it better, is a small price to pay for a strange variation on liturgy!

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I last posted, I thought I'd never do such a thing! But actually it's fine - the sky hasn't fallen in. And knowing the congo are easier with it and get into it better, is a small price to pay for a strange variation on liturgy!

At least they desire to be active, and asked for help. If it were me, I'm sure it would become too programmed in my head, and I'd end up chanting:
"The Lord be with you. Response"
"Lift up your hearts. Response"

[Snigger]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
aredstatemystic
Shipmate
# 11577

- Posted      Profile for aredstatemystic   Author's homepage   Email aredstatemystic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a complete Low Mass said from the American Missal at Nashotah House.
Posts: 154 | From: Oh, You Know. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by aredstatemystic:
Here is a complete Low Mass said from the American Missal at Nashotah House.

[Overused]

Intense thanks to you for this link. This is the sort of video I would love to see more of, documenting various styles of ceremonial. Wish someone had done this for a 1965 interim rite RC Mass. Looking forward to studying this one. The celebrant is the rector of the parish to the north of my apartment in Chicago. Haven't visited there yet.

[ 27. October 2010, 16:19: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016