homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Videos and images of worship, redux (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Videos and images of worship, redux
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
May it's not Easter Sunday but a Sunday in Easter?

The first few seconds of the video make it clear that it is Easter Day.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole situation mystifies me, and I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in raising eyebrows. There must be a good reason.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to admit that I am somewhat baffled meself, but would note that Father Davies, the Rector at St. Thomas, was on staff at All Saints Margaret Street and presumably has been well-schooled in A/C practice. Perhaps a member of the parish could chime in on this one?

Liked that organ, though. The console used to be at the Stanford University Mem Chu (as those of us with Farm connections like to say) and some of the pipes came from the now-dismantled Fisk Organ in the Harvard Memorial Church (no abbreviations, please, we're from Harvard).

Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember Fr Davies from when he was curate at ASMS. I recall he was mildly, but delightfully eccentric.

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Diaconate ordination of a then good friend of mine (Now my postulant master!) Br.Joseph Eddy.

Unfortunately, the camera was set on top of the organ console in the choir loft, so the sound is'nt the best. (And it makes the organ sound terrible.)

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
8:00am Easter Sunday High Mass at St. Thomas the Apostle, Hollywood

Facebook videos also available of Vigil Mass in Latin.

Huh? The opening hymn on Easter Sunday was "Jerusalem the Golden?" That seems odd.
The choir make that funny sign of the cross where they end up with a tap on the chest. At school we were taught this was the "Hollywood' cross - a way of making the sign for the camera without really making it (if you follow).
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just now checking back on this thread. I'm sorry for not doing so sooner. I'll try to answer all questions.

It is a video of the 8:00 am Easter High Mass. I was in the congregation. There was a second such Mass at 10:30 am, doubtless packed to the rafters.

There are several reasons for the atypical use of "Jerusalem the Golden" as the processional hymn for Easter. I think the hymn tune itself is quite grand. With a full house of enthusiastic singers and that powerful organ, it's a wonder the church roof isn't lifted.

The hymn has nine verses, including one written by Fr. Davies, so it pretty well covers the procession.

I think that it's quite appropriate to sing about the new Jerusalem as part of the feast of the Resurrection. We did sing "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" and "The Day of Resurrection" later in the Mass.

Also, I'd venture a guess that the hymn is a kind of congregational favorite due to its use in the large number of Requiem Masses in the parish during the AIDS crisis.

Finally,I think it's safe to say that we love Fr. Davies, including (maybe even in part because of) his various little quirks.

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't do the "Hollywood cross", but my impression is that it is common in Southern California TEC parishes, often with a kiss to the fingers after the tap on the chest.

[ 23. June 2011, 00:35: Message edited by: CorgiGreta ]

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
I don't do the "Hollywood cross", but my impression is that it is common in Southern California TEC parishes, often with a kiss to the fingers after the tap on the chest.

I see it happen occasionally in the Midwest as well, in TEC places.

When I've seen the tap-with-kiss[-with-tap], it has been in Spanish-speaking RC places. I always assumed it was some sort of devotion to the Sacred Heart, but one knows what happens when one assumes...

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

Yeah, that little chest tap bit was popular when I was a Whiskeypalian. Now, not so much (at least among Anglo RCs).

CG, nice to hear from you again. By the way, I read in the St. Mark's Episcopal GR newsletter that their Rector is moving the "holy table" into the nave and that the summer liturgy will be from the Australian Prayer Book.

shudder . . .

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

Thanks, Dave.

Of late, there has been very little good news coming from TEC in GR. I won't elaborate, of course, but there were much more serious problems recently at another parish.

We are very fortunate to have such a fine organ and organist. If you have not already had the opportunity to hear them both, I hope you will be able to do so some time in the future.

By the way, John West will be presenting a recital this Saturday at Glendale SDA Church.

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

You are very fortunate to be at St. Thomas -- Father Davies is an excellent rector and the music program looks like it is absolutely first rate.

TEC in the Dio of W. Michigan is probably a Purgatory topic. The mess at St. Luke's Kalamazoo is a topic in and of itself, but not for Ecclesiantics.

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

St. Silas -- I enjoyed the Diaconal ordination video very much.

By comparison, I attended the Diaconal ordination of 14 deacons in the LA Archiocese. It was held at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Beige Concrete (sorry, editorial comment there) with mass setting by the immortal Marty Haugen(Mass of Celebration -- uuuggghhh). One of my fellow choir members describes the cathedral as like attending Mass in the world's largest vet office. How true, how true.

I liked yours more.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Photos of my community's ordinations last month. There is meant to be video up there at some point, so think of this as a "coming soon to a screen near you" kind of thing.

The same link now has video on. If you watch carefully, you can spot the mistakes me and my brother candle-bearer make!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hart, that is one joyful procession! And the way the ordinands are beaming throughout! (Will have to view the rest later.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LA Dave:
St. Silas -- I enjoyed the Diaconal ordination video very much.

By comparison, I attended the Diaconal ordination of 14 deacons in the LA Archiocese. It was held at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Beige Concrete (sorry, editorial comment there) with mass setting by the immortal Marty Haugen(Mass of Celebration -- uuuggghhh). One of my fellow choir members describes the cathedral as like attending Mass in the world's largest vet office. How true, how true.

I liked yours more.

We're soon to have a video of the final profession of two brothers at the same parish. Music: By all Thy Saints Still Striving (St.Theodolph),Missa de Angelis,Tu Es Petrus,(M. Haller)Ecce Quam Bonum (Montani)Salve Regina (Chant) O God Beyond All Praising (Thaxted, Richard Proulx's setting.)

--------------------

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

St. Silas: [Axe murder]
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
quote:
Photos of my community's ordinations last month. There is meant to be video up there at some point, so think of this as a "coming soon to a screen near you" kind of thing.

The same link now has video on. If you watch carefully, you can spot the mistakes me and my brother candle-bearer make!
Notre Dame has to hold the record for the largest crowd of American Catholics actually singing. Whenever I've seen a mass from there on TV or online, the majority have actually been singing. I suppose it helps that the music is well-chosen and well-done. (They even managed to do the Haas Gloria well, and somehow worked in the organ.)

Bishop Jenky confirmed a friend of mine. He's a bit more gray now!

The liturgy was superb, as one can expect from the basilica at ND. Churches from across the country should take field trips there.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Hart, that is one joyful procession! And the way the ordinands are beaming throughout! (Will have to view the rest later.)

We do do joy quite well, I think! I went to the diocesan ordinations in Westminster Cathedral last week and everyone was very well done, but it just wasn't a 'family affair' like our ordinations are.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

Should Lutherans wear pink chasubles?
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] Martin L, I am wiping tears from my eyes.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"My congregation does not think that way. I have "cat-o-chised" them."

[Overused]

Let's see those "Piskiepalians" top that!

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have sent my Rector the link for the video;
Things Your Lutheran Pastor Totally Loves: Hearing Complaints from "Some People" (Episode 5)

Pure genius [Smile]

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by aig:
I have sent my Rector the link for the video;
Things Your Lutheran Pastor Totally Loves: Hearing Complaints from "Some People" (Episode 5)

Pure genius [Smile]

Indeed. I didn't link to all of them, but I hope people take a look! There are plenty. While it's clear they are of an LCMS/conservative leaning, there is still a sense of humor about this. (FWIW, my church does not have a pink chasuble, but I'm tempted now to purchase one for them!)
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin L, you know me. Always trying to be helpful

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

Opening and closing hymns from the 90th birthday celebration of Bishop Montgomery.

[n.b. Bishop Montgomery is a former bishop of Chicago, and you will notice his Anglo-Catholic tendencies, and those of the Church of the Atonement, in which the Mass was celebrated. I can't make out the other bishop's identity, but it looks like a blurry Frank Griswold, the next bishop of Chicago after Montgomery and later the Presiding Bishop. Crowd notwithstanding, this is a fairly decent window into the Chicago Rite II scene.]

Martin's commentary: I love Bishop Montgomery's 10-gallon mitres. Always a joy to see. I wish I had been there live.

[ 15. August 2011, 02:18: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
Opening and closing hymns from the 90th birthday celebration of Bishop Montgomery.

Thank you for this, Martin L...a glimpse inside the neighborhood parish. Funnily enough, the first two people whose faces I saw in the opening video are fellow parishioners of our shack downtown. The nun in procession (more visible in the Hail Holy Queen vid) is the superior of the convent next to our church. Sorry I missed this grand celebration: I think it was both a vestry and subdeacon Sunday for me downtown.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

If you've ever wondered what an ELCA Lutheran (sister church in full communion to TEC) service runs like, you can view such here:

ELCA Churchwide Assembly video feed

The archives seem to be at near the bottom of the page.

The opening Holy Communion from Monday was kept as Mary, Mother of our Lord. Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson is presiding and preaching. The lectors are higher-ups at Churchwide HQ. Apparently we have perfected the art of bendy poles, squeezing even more streamers onto each.

[ 16. August 2011, 02:18: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:

[n.b. Bishop Montgomery is a former bishop of Chicago, and you will notice his Anglo-Catholic tendencies, and those of the Church of the Atonement, in which the Mass was celebrated. I can't make out the other bishop's identity, but it looks like a blurry Frank Griswold, the next bishop of Chicago after Montgomery and later the Presiding Bishop. Crowd notwithstanding, this is a fairly decent window into the Chicago Rite II scene.]

Martin's commentary: I love Bishop Montgomery's 10-gallon mitres. Always a joy to see. I wish I had been there live.

Yes, that's Griswold. It looks like it was a splendid celebration. James Montgomery will always be "Father Montgomery" to me, since he was rector at St John's Flossmoor when I were a lass. He taught my confirmation class and our little textbook was a thoroughly A/C little book.

Nice job on "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty," especially the goosebump-inducing descant on the final verse. I'm afraid "Hail, Holy Queen" just makes me think of that Whoopi Goldberg film, though.

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
I'm afraid "Hail, Holy Queen" just makes me think of that Whoopi Goldberg film, though.

Thank you, I thought I was the only one. I actually wonder whether the camp value of that movie has breathed new life into that old hymn, increasing its use.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nice job on "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty," especially the goosebump-inducing descant on the final verse. I'm afraid "Hail, Holy Queen" just makes me think of that Whoopi Goldberg film, though.

I guess I'm glad I didn't see that film, then! Hate to have a good hymn ruined. [Smile]
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like the version they did in the film.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
I rather like the version they did in the film.

I love it, actually -- that and Joyful, Joyful from Sister Act 2.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't seen anyone mention the S. Clement's, Philadelphia, videos on Vimeo here:

http://www.vimeo.com/saintclements

They're taken from a fixed camera, and so don't zoom or show things happening away from the altar, but the video and sound quality isn't bad.

There's one up for the Assumption.

Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday worship from the British Methodist Conference, including the reception of new presbyters and deacons into full connexion. Attentive viewers may notice some shipmates...

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aredstatemystic
Shipmate
# 11577

- Posted      Profile for aredstatemystic   Author's homepage   Email aredstatemystic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just discovered about a charming forty-minute show on the churches of East Anglia by Sir John Betjeman. "Passion for Churches" seemed to me in one part, a show on church architecture and in another, a meditation on what it means to be in the C of E.

I enjoyed it, especially since Norwich/East Anglia is next on list of places to travel to at some point in my life [Yipee]

Part I
Part II
Part III

(Part of the second video are filmed in the Shrine of Our Lady at Walsingham.)

[ 31. August 2011, 10:51: Message edited by: aredstatemystic ]

--------------------
http://aredstatemystic.wordpress.com/

Posts: 154 | From: Oh, You Know. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

A slideshow Of photos from the final profession of two brothers, Brs. James and Scott. The video of the full mass will take a while before it's uploaded, the sound and video are still out of synch. You can see it was a simple, modern liturgy.

[ 31. August 2011, 19:38: Message edited by: St.Silas the carter ]

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are some photographs from the feast of the Dormition/Assumption of the Mother of God last Sunday. This was at the Russian Orthodox cathedral of the Dormition in London, which was celebrating its patronal feast, hence the blessing of the waters before the Liturgy and the Cross-Procession afterwards. There were at least three shipmates in attendance.

We didn't bless herbs: we don't want to be seen to be too high church, now.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Actually, while we're at it, here is a slideshow of photographs from my parish on the Saturday before our own patronal feast in July.

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

The blessing of the police.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Videos photos and homilies from the profession of final vows of one of my brothers in community, the (now) Rev. Mr. Matt Kuczora, CSC.

Some of the photos give a wonderful view of the solar panel for my brain (I'm carrying a candle). As a side note, you can tell how much of a football school we're at: our practice of forming a semi circle outside the basilica to welcome the newly finally professed (or newly ordained in the Spring) is referred to as the "victory formation."

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A selection from mass at Franco's burial place,the Basilica Valle de los Caidos.

The boy choirsters and the ars celebrandi of the clergy are pretty good, but the key point of interest starts shortly after the 9:45 mark. I wonder how many other churches do this?

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowhund:
The boy choirsters and the ars celebrandi of the clergy are pretty good, but the key point of interest starts shortly after the 9:45 mark. I wonder how many other churches do this?

We dim the lights for the sermon. I wonder what that says about us...

Thanks for the clip. My early experiences with the Mass in Spanish were mostly with priests who (on their own, off the cuff) used Ustedes instead of vosotros for the plural. Only one used vosotros, as far as I can recall, but that was in a Mexican-American context. It still throws me off to hear vosotros and its imperative verbs--tomad, comed, haced, etc. To an English ear, it would be sort of like a priest changing all the expected thees and thous to yous off the cuff. Slightly jarring.

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

Live broadcast for the instilation of Philadelphia's new archbishop at 2:00 Pm. Link. Shame it's a ticketed event, the music looks absolutely glorious. The new cathedral choirmaster has really been outdoing himself in the short time he's been here.

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Astley:
Actually, while we're at it, here is a slideshow of photographs from my parish on the Saturday before our own patronal feast in July.

Thank you, Michael Astley, for those photographs. I always find the greeting and the vesting of the bishop very moving. We greet him as he enters into his church. We vest him, confirming him as our bishop.

As far as your blessing of the police goes: there's a symbol with some freight.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

St. Silas: Totally agree on the music selected for the installation of Archbishop Chaput. Excellent variety, and very nice to see local composers tapped to write music for it. Some Proulx (nothing wrong with that) some Walker (not quite Proulx, but much better than Haugen) and overall much more impressive than what LA did with Archbishop Gomez' installation.

Also interesting to see Anglican music (Tye and Wesley) used in the service.

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

Yes, Mr.Romeri is quite competent. Besides forming the new professional cathedral schola to sing along with the cathedral choir,he's also helped to begin choral and organ scholarships at the cathedral and a great set of Concerts at the cathedral.

I was also happy to see the Wesley- Thou Wilt Keep Him is one of my favorite pieces of music.Anglican type music is pretty normal at the cathedral these days.I'm excited to see what he'll do with the boy's choir when the current director retires in a year.

--------------------

Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowhund:

I'm pretty sure that I've seen this before too, but I can't remember where, exactly. I see nothing wrong with dimming the lights except for a spotlight on the preacher, so long as any makeup isn't blinding or he starts belting out "Mr. Cellophane" from the pulpit.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Like on a long-haul flight when they want you to go to sleep...? [Big Grin]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
quote:

Like on a long-haul flight when they want you to go to sleep...? [Big Grin]
Well, yes. We just take that for granted. I used to chuckle at the old people falling asleep. Now I don't notice it.....

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016