homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Videos and images of worship, redux (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Videos and images of worship, redux
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erleuchte on another thread:
[aside] Dear mods, no matter what I post I can never seem to work out the proper forum to use. Apologies if I got it wrong again [/aside]

I thought the Eccles community would be the one most interested in seeing a new, short documentary (just 8 mins) about Dom Anselm Shobrook OSB, iconographer at Alton Abbey. Dom Anselm runs a number of icon-writing courses each year and the documentary is about what and how he teaches his students. Find the documentary here.

E

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erleuchte
Apprentice
# 16533

- Posted      Profile for Erleuchte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for moving the vid to the best place Mamacita. E
Posts: 12 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My pleasure. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Christ Church New Haven, an Anglo-Catholic parish in Connecticut, is doing a series of short videos about the liturgies of Holy Week. I'll post them as they appear this week.

Introduction to Holy Week
Palm Sunday

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

And here is their video on the Maundy Thursday liturgy. These are only 3 minutes long and the choir is lovely to listen to. (All voices from Yale, IIUI.)

--------------------

aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be going to Yale on an exchange thing for the Fall semester; Christ Church looks worth a visit or two!

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Community of S.Mary the Virgin, Wantage are live-streaming audio their Tenebrae at 8 pm UK time and with links to "the words" and all

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Greek Catholic
Apprentice
# 12930

- Posted      Profile for Greek Catholic   Email Greek Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have posted 6 videos of live services at Christ Church, New Haven, CT. These are excerpts from either Masses or Evensongs. Below is a link for one of the videos, from February 19, 2012, the Last Sunday of Epiphany. You can click on my name (Jack6964) at the top of the Youtube page to see a list of the rest of the videos. While these are not professional or highly polished, they give a very good sense of the high quality and care taken in worship at this extra-ordinary parish. Thanks for viewing!

Christ Church New Haven CT Feb 19 2012 Mass

Posts: 3 | From: Connecticut, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Greek Catholic, as it has been a while since you registered with Ship of Fools, let me suggest you take another look at the 10 Commandments (link at top of page). Commandment 9 says
quote:
Don't use these boards to advertise your site.
The purpose of this thread is to provide links to specific videos or images of worship, but not to promote members' youtube channels.

Mamacita, Eccles Host

--------------------

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 2012 Easter Vigil
video broadcasts live and recorded for later on-demand viewing can be found at:

The Vatican/St. Peter's Basilica
21:00 Rome time Vatican Easter Vigil

Washington Cathedral
8:00PM, USA Eastern Daylight Time
Washington Cathedral

National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
8:00PM, USA Eastern Daylight Time
Broadcast by EWTN

HAPPY EASTER!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
Христос воскресе!
ALLELUIA!

[Votive]

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Easter Saturday means it's Ordination Day again in my community. For the first time, we're webcasting the ordination live here. It's at 2pm (EST). I think we're also webcasting Matt's first mass which is the next day at 11:45am (EST) which I'll be serving.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now the Photos are up. Enjoy!

PS. If you haven't got time to watch the whole video (2hr!), here are some highlights.

00:00 Procession. Over a 100 CSC priests made it in for the ordination.
20:40 Two parishioner's from Dcn. Matt's parish present and recommend him with inspiring fervor!
48:50 Litany of the Saints is sung, as Dcn. Matt lies prostrate
55:30 Laying on of hands, first by the bishop, then by Matt's brother priests.
1:07:15 Prayer of ordination
1:10:50 The new priest vests
1:21:00 Eucharist prayer begins. Led by the bishop, it's the first time Fr. Matt will pray this as a priest.
1:33:55 Sign of Peace
1:37:50 Communion
1:51:15 Thank yous, and a joke...
1:55:12 Fr. Matt blesses the bishop

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proper Anglicanism, none of this aping-Roman namby-pamby stuff [Big Grin]

And also.

That chimere with a train and train-bearers is a thing to behold. I wonder when last such a garment was given an airing.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Proper Anglicanism, none of this aping-Roman namby-pamby stuff [Big Grin]

And also.

That chimere with a train and train-bearers is a thing to behold. I wonder when last such a garment was given an airing.

Thanks for those links to the archived British Pathe news reels of Archbishop Lang's installation (enthronement) at Canterbury. What priceless and rare film footage!

I once saw a large photograph that I think was printed in an old edition of Anglican World magazine, of Hugh Rowlands Gough, Anglican archbishop of Sidney and primate of Australia, 1959-66, wearing such a rig.

Gough was shown in a scarlet chimere with a train carried at its ends by two choir boys vested in surplices. The archbishop's chaplain was shown carrying Gough's crozier before him. Needless to say, such fol de rol is since long gone from the Sydney diocese with the subsequent changes of Archbishop Marcus Loane, and now those of the strident, Evangelical-Calvinist Jensen regime in place there .

Chimeres with trains are such a rare part of Anglican ceremonial trivia as to strain belief. Yet this particular piece of tat did exist and was used, presumably by archbishops of some rank, primates and the like. I certainly haven't seen or heard of any Anglican prelate of such rank sporting a chimere with a train since the demise of Hugh Gough. Like clerical gaiters, the chimere with train seems to have disappeared along with interest in its use.

Nevertheless, we also have another rarity in the use of the chimere by cathedral deans. Those chimeres were worn over surplices. The dean of Canterbury, for instance, can be seen, if you look carefully, wearing his chimere over a surplice in both British Pathe films of the enthronement of Archbishop Lang.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to share with you all some photographs of the Moleben with Akathist at my church on Friday just gone. The Kursk icon of the Mother of God was brought by our bishop.

Photographs are to be found here. I have been promised some video footage which I'll share as soon as I receive it and get it online.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

*bump*

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Sermon by the Rt. Rev. Michael Curry (NC) during TEC's General Convention, last Saturday's eucharist. The link has the text of the sermon, but to merely read the words would be short-changing yourself. It's really worth watching. This man can preach!

Just for fun. The convention being somewhat structured around a statement called "The Five Marks of Mission," five bishops named Mark got together and performed this song. (Getting a little punchy on the last day, I assume.)

--------------------

(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are some photos of the ordination of a new curate at S. Clement's, Philadelphia, an occasion of considerable importance not only for the young man in question and for the parish, but also for all of us who consider ourselves to be within the Catholic wing of the Anglican Church. A service sheet and recording are also available.

It certainly seems to have been a glorious occasion: that choir singing Elgar and Mozart accompanied by an orchestra! According to my sources, there were touching personal additions, such as having — on the altar — a rosary for the curate's civil partner as well as the usual flowers for his mother and for the BVM.

I am, however, saddened not to see a cappa magna, and that there was only one deacon of honour to the bishop and apparently no assistant priest! I'm not saying that S. Clement's has 'gone low' in the same way that, say, Margaret Street has, but I had expected better from a parish that I have always regarded as the absolute pinnacle of good liturgical praxis (although I've never been lucky enough to visit myself).

Certain Shipmates may be glad to see that the black gowns and hats for choirladies that caused so much consternation in this thread (which does, it must be said, rather degenerate into Two Minutes' Hate against this wonderful and inspiring parish). There are even ordained women in the liturgical choir, which suggests that rumours of Clementine misogyny are greatly exaggerated (note that I am not addressing the rights or wrongs of the ordination of women, merely pointing out that this parish's position on that issue seems to be different from how it's been presented in precious threads and MW reports).

[ 05. August 2012, 15:20: Message edited by: (S)pike couchant ]

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by (S)pike Couchant:
quote:
I'm not saying that S. Clement's has 'gone low' in the same way that, say, Margaret Street has,
[Killing me]

Are you on the same planet as the rest of us, (S)C?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Originally posted by (S)pike Couchant:
quote:
I'm not saying that S. Clement's has 'gone low' in the same way that, say, Margaret Street has,
[Killing me]

Are you on the same planet as the rest of us, (S)C?

What? ASMS is currently undeniably liturgically 'lower' than it has been at any point since the First World War. It's now only one step higher than Southwark Cathedral and the gap between it at Bourne Street has only grown (I gather that, at one point, they were considered to have similar liturgies, which hasn't been the case since at least the 1980s and probably earlier).

I like ASMS, but I wouldn't want S. Clement's to go down that route! It has always stood out as a beacon of excellence for a certain style of Anglican worship that has, alas, gone out of fashion in the past 50 years.

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see your point. To describe ASMS as 'lower than it used to be' (though surely though choreographed by Fortescue it was always libretto by Cranmer) is doubtless accurate; to describe it as 'low' in a C of E context is hilarious.

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by (S)pike couchant:
It certainly seems to have been a glorious occasion: that choir singing Elgar and Mozart accompanied by an orchestra!

[Frown] Bruckner's Ecce Sacerdos is better than Elgar's. There. I said it.

quote:
...which suggests that rumours of Clementine misogyny are greatly exaggerated (note that I am not addressing the rights or wrongs of the ordination of women, merely pointing out that this parish's position on that issue seems to be different from how it's been presented in precious threads and MW reports).
Be that as it may, I'll believe the parish's position is truly different when I hear a priest who happens also to be a woman presiding there. (++KJS celebrated at SMV Times Square. Join them in the trend!) I am sure there are many people at S. Clement's who wouldn't mind, but clearly there must be some [perhaps only a few] in high positions and/or regard who do.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IMHO people who lament ASMS and St Clement's becoming "lower" are just being silly. Both are still premier Anglo-Catholic parishes. Just because the shape of the liturgy and the ceremonial at ASMS are reasonably consistent with mainstream Anglicanism, albeit with plenty of Anglo-Catholic devotion, hardly makes it some sort of modernist MOTR-low confection. I shall happily be back serving at High Mass at ASMS in a couple weeks time, always one of the most meaningful experiences for me. As to St Clement's, where I serve habitually these days - including at yesterday's ordination mass and today's first mass celebrated by our curate - again it's a matter of slightly simplifying liturgy and ceremonial to deal with the realities of what will best serve devotion and the physical capacities of a congregation and clergy in what this very hot summer is often an unbearably hot nave, chancel and sanctuary. The cassocks and vestments of the entire party in the sanctuary yesterday and today were soaked through by the time the liturgy had barely started. Devotion and liturgical beauty do not equal making a fetish out of the English Missal and its rubrics, nor of the Roman Pontifical or Fortescue. To do so, indeed, breeds the narrowest sort of clericalism, often largely in the persons of an elite coterie of amateur lay liturgists who fancy themselves experts not to be questioned or challenged. Stylistically, All Saints Margaret Street is different to St Mary Bourne Street or St Magnus Martyr London Bridge; that doesn't make ASMS a lower church than those two other parishes. The same principle applies to St Clement's, which remains pretty much without peer in terms of old fashioned Anglo-Catholic liturgical traditionalism in the United States (quite a few TEC Anglo-Catholic parishes can be cited that are stylistically different to St Clement's, yet no less Anglo-Catholic). As to misogyny and other expressions of bigotry regarding gender and human sexuality, I am pleased to confirm that great progress has been made of late at St Clement's in getting rid of these deplorable traits of a certain brand of retrograde Anglo-Catholicism.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
Just because the shape of the liturgy and the ceremonial at ASMS are reasonably consistent with mainstream Anglicanism, albeit with plenty of Anglo-Catholic devotion, hardly makes it some sort of modernist MOTR-low confection.

Not MOTR-low, no, but it's not particularly high as Anglo-Catholic parishes go. I would classify ASMS as theologically Catholic, liturgically high-MOTR (in the same vein as Westminster Abbey or Southwark Cathedral, but slightly more traditional and with more smoke), and of course musically without peer in terms of London parish churches. I think the combination of its glorious choir, large service team, and elaborate building (complemented by some stunning vestments and church plate) all combine to make it seem 'higher' than it really is, in the same way that low-MOTR liturgies in cathedrals often seem higher than they are. In contrast, S Magnus often seems lower than it actually is. Bourne Street, which has a serving team that rivals Margaret Street's and a choir that almost does, can seem just impossibly high on big occasions (needless to say, I think being impossibly high is a good thing!).

I've often thought that Bourne Street is MOTR by the standards of London Anglo-Catholicism, by which I mean that it avoids the extremes represented by ASMS (lowish and vaguely modernist with an emphasis on the Anglo-), S. Silas (modern Anglo-Papalist) and S. Magnus (antiquarian pre-Pian Anglo-Papalist).

I hope, however, that my minor gripes about S. Clement's didn't obscure the fact that I'm very, very, happy to see a new curate there. I found the pictures of his ordination very moving.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by (S)pike couchant:
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
Just because the shape of the liturgy and the ceremonial at ASMS are reasonably consistent with mainstream Anglicanism, albeit with plenty of Anglo-Catholic devotion, hardly makes it some sort of modernist MOTR-low confection.

Not MOTR-low, no, but it's not particularly high as Anglo-Catholic parishes go.
But it never has been, has it?

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we could avoid the how high is high tangent and keep this thread for videos and images of worship, I would be grateful.

seasick, Eccles host

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While visiting London a few months ago, I attended Mass at ASMS and St.Alban's Holborn.
The liturgy in Margaret Street is C.W.the ceremonial is still very elaborate, just like the Brompton Oratory.
St.Alban's Holborn,while using the modern Roman rite has a more"reformed" ceremonial.
I like Holborn better since this church has more far space for their ceremonies.ir

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Profession of perpetual vows by three of my brothers, for your viewing pleasure!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Profession of perpetual vows by three of my brothers, for your viewing pleasure!

Excellent! However now that Roman Catholics have learned more about how to properly walk in procession like Anglicans (the procession pros}, we need to get rid of those song leaders who stand behind a lectern and wave their arms. I suspect that at places like Notre Dame, the congregation can sing well enough all by itself with organ accompaniment.
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

And for people who don't have time for an hour and a half video, here are the photos.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question from a U.S. non-Anglican: I recently attended an outdoor funeral at which the officiant was a retired Episcopal priest whom I found (after some online checking) to be of the Anglo-Catholic variety. He was wearing a very long, simple, flowing surplice with a particularly high neckline, together with a cassock and a wide tippet with no embellishments. The surplice draped beautifully and looked very elegant. Is there a name for this particular type of surplice?
Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WearyPilgrim:
Question from a U.S. non-Anglican: I recently attended an outdoor funeral at which the officiant was a retired Episcopal priest whom I found (after some online checking) to be of the Anglo-Catholic variety. He was wearing a very long, simple, flowing surplice with a particularly high neckline, together with a cassock and a wide tippet with no embellishments. The surplice draped beautifully and looked very elegant. Is there a name for this particular type of surplice?

With big pointed sleeves like this? I think this is often called an Anglican surplice as opposed to a Roman one with the rounder, smaller sleeves. Wippell's and Abbey make these (among others).

[ 29. August 2012, 14:29: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by WearyPilgrim:

It sounds like what's often known as an 'English' or 'full English' surplice. Did it look like this?

[ 29. August 2012, 14:30: Message edited by: (S)pike couchant ]

--------------------

WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, on both counts. The sleeves were large and pointed. Thanks.
Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

It's interesting that you should mention that said priest was an Anglo-Catholic, as such surplices are not usually associated with Anglo-Catholicism. In general, whilst it is safe to assume that any priest dressed like this is an Anglo-Catholic, full surplices are more often seen on traditionally-inclined MotR or even lowish clerics. Even firmly 'Prayer Book Catholic' parishes (e.g. ASMS) these days generally wear cottas, although they are seldom trimmed in such rich lace as that modeled by Fr Rowlands in that picture. There are exceptions, though, as there nearly always are. I quite like the look of English surplice with tippet and hood myself, and was interested to see the new curate of S. Clement's Philadelphia wearing a get up that seemed to owe more to the Warham Guild than to that parish's Ultramontanism (yes, there was even an authentic 'Warham Guild hood'; no I don't have a link, I'm afraid).

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Is it a pond difference? ISTM that only English Anglo-catholics make so much of the differing styles of surplices. American a-cs (and English RCs) seem quite happy to wear 'Anglican' surplices.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
I certainly haven't seen or heard of any Anglican prelate of such rank sporting a chimere with a train since the demise of Hugh Gough. Like clerical gaiters, the chimere with train seems to have disappeared along with interest in its use.

I seem to remember when small, the BBC including in the news of Easter Day a snippet of Michael Ramsey (the least tat queenly bishop imaginable) going to preach at Canterbury Cathedral with a train to his chimere and two chorister/page boys.

But Anglican bishops have never been the same since they gave up wearing wigs and began wearing mitres. Pictures of Victoria's coronation and her son's show the difference.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nashotah House seminary in Wisconsin has put Fr. Heschle's Anglican Missal (adapted to Rite I somewhat) demo Mass back on Vimeo (this time with post-Mass Q&A) along with videos featuring Fr. John-Julian OJN on liturgical gestures; some videos on the deacon's role in the liturgy; and some torchbearer and crucifer training.

All the fun is right here.

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Is it a pond difference? ISTM that only English Anglo-catholics make so much of the differing styles of surplices. American a-cs (and English RCs) seem quite happy to wear 'Anglican' surplices.

Yes, it surely is a pond difference. In general, you won't find American Anglo-Catholic Episcopalians wearing lace or any kind of antique cut, Roman surplices, albs, vestments or other tat.

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
quote:

Yes, it surely is a pond difference. In general, you won't find American Anglo-Catholic Episcopalians wearing lace or any kind of antique cut, Roman surplices, albs, vestments or other tat.

However, that being said, allow me to eat my words if you take a look at this bizarre event held beginning at 10AM, last Saturday, October 6, at Washington National Cathedral. You will see more odd tat on parade than the rather more narrow assessment in my previous post.

The 30ish something Annual National Acolyte Festival

Printed service leaflet

The presider was Bishop James B. Magness, bishop suffragan for the armed services and federal ministries of The Episcopal Church.

* Cast of thousands!
* Smoke!
* Bendy poles and banners galore!
* All manner of vesture!

* The music: Well quite glorious!
* The Cathedral Singers group directed by lay
Canon Michael McCarthy
* Spectacular organ music by Benjamin Straley, assistant cathedral organist

A long service, but fun to watch and listen to. Bishop Magness preached and said, "Being an acolyte is the best kind of Christian education a young person could have."

Magness himself was trianed as an acolyte in western North Carolina, and he credits that training for saving his faith and his sanity after his war time service in Viet Nam.

Enjoy!

[ 09. October 2012, 03:00: Message edited by: Mr. Rob ]

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

A heads up to shipmates for Part I of the installation of Gary Hall, new dean of Washington Cathedral, Saturday night, October 27 at 7:00PM (1900) USA Eastern Daylight Time.

Part I is the actual installation with the renewal of corporate baptismal vows according to the 1979 American prayer book. Reception following.

Part II on Sunday morning is the installation Eucharist.

Installation order of service, Sat night, Part I (pdf)

Installation live webcast, Sat night, Part I

Tomorrow, Sunday, October 28, at 11:15AM, USA Eastern Daylight Time, Part II, live webcast of the new dean's Installation Festal Eucharist.

Installation Festal Eucharist live webcast, Part II, Sun morning

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And from Brazil comes

This video of the procession of the Scriptures

I have never seen the like before [Smile]

It certainly shows the breadth of the liturgical tradition of the Roman Catholic Church!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good Lord! Was the ringmaster -- oops, I mean narrator -- speaking Portuguese with a Brogue, or is that what it actually sounds like?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

BTW, Following Part I of the Installation on Sat night, the Washington Ringing Society will attempt to ring a quarter peal on the 10 bell ring of the Gloria in excelsis central tower.

quote:

A heads up to shipmates for Part I of the installation of Gary Hall, new dean of Washington Cathedral, Saturday night, October 27 at 7:00PM (1900) USA Eastern Daylight Time.

Part I is the actual installation with the renewal of corporate baptismal vows according to the 1979 American prayer book. Reception following.

Part II on Sunday morning is the installation Eucharist.

Installation order of service, Sat night, Part I (pdf)

Installation live webcast, Sat night, Part I

Tomorrow, Sunday, October 28, at 11:15AM, USA Eastern Daylight Time, Part II, live webcast of the new dean's Installation Festal Eucharist.

Installation Festal Eucharist live webcast, Part II, Sun morning

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

A complete Low Mass (USA BCP Rite I) recorded today, All Saints' Day.
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
And from Brazil comes

It certainly shows the breadth of the liturgical tradition of the Roman Catholic Church!

And looking on you tube it seems just one of several of a circus style RC liturgy
[Smile]

[ 01. November 2012, 22:47: Message edited by: Percy B ]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:

Thank you. I have never encountered the confession at the beginning of an Episcopal liturgy, although I certainly know it is an option in the BCP79. You can tell the priest is very Catholic in ceremonial, but it is a good representation of a traditional-language (Rite 1) TEC weekday liturgy for those who have always wondered.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

I should have added that I especially appreciate it as evidence that a well-done liturgy, with a suitable sermon, can take place in 29:12. Add in a couple hymns and perhaps a sung ordinary, and one would still clock in at 40-45 minutes at most.
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
quote:
And from Brazil comes

And looking on you tube it seems just one of several of a circus style RC liturgy
[Smile]

And people here complain about Episcopalian bendy poles! HAH!
[Killing me]

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:

But this isn't Rite I. It's a Rite II eucharistic prayer that has been "translated" into Rite I quasi-Elizabethan English, and further tinkered with by the addition of some Anglo-Catholic accretions that aren't in the 1979 BCP. It's fine, but it isn't an example of either Rite I or the '79 BCP.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016