homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Change and Nostalgia in All Around I See (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Change and Nostalgia in All Around I See
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair, I was always more eirenic than that and grew out of it - these things can be phases we pass through.

In fairness too, some of my fellow-travellers and the church I was involved with grew out of this tendency too - although they are a shadow of their former selves. Only about 40 people or so left - when there were around 300-400 at its height in the mid-1980s.

Mind you, some of those I knocked about with in those days have gone into even worse things ... extreme forms of health/wealth and prosperity gospel teaching ... or small groups of friends meeting in one another's homes and blarting on and on about how it all went wrong ...

Sad.

In fairness, others have ended up in better places.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I had some friends back in the 80s who were part of an all-dancing (well, lightly hopping) charismatic fellowship and were very dismissive of their "dead" Parish Church.

Guess who've now been Church Wardens for years?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha ha ...

Yes, would that this were more common.

Looking back, a good number did move on to what we might consider broader or more mainstream forms of church - whether non-conformist or Anglican. The Baptists tended to be the main 're-entry point' if I can put it that way, as they offer much that is familiar but without the somewhat authoritarian approach to leadership.

I've found that fewer have gone into Anglicanism - although a number have - including some former leaders or budding leaders.

I know of one or two who have gone further, if you like, into Orthodoxy or over to Rome - but these are fewer and further between. An Orthodox convert I know from a 'restorationist' background once told me - some years ago now - that he could only think of around 5 people in the whole of the UK from 'new church' or Pentecostal backgrounds who had ended up in Orthodoxy. I get the impression that this has been more common in the USA.

Anyhow, this is a tangent - although there is the issue, of course, of how more traditional forms of worship can appeal to those who have - for whatever reason - become sated with what's on offer across the 'newer' outfits.

In some ways, though, some of the newer groups have indeed been drawing from older models - experimenting with liturgy or contemplative prayers and so on. I don't knock this tendency - although I know some who do, regarding it as rather too 'pick-and-mix' or decontextualised. I can appreciate why they might consider it that way, but on balance, I'm always happy when I see people adopting daily offices, say, such as members of the Northumbria Community or using some 'ready-made' liturgy.

When I was in a Baptist church we often used to 'nick' chunks out of the Anglican prayer book for communion services - and once I was even given a section to read from the Roman missal (by an ex-Catholic). Nobody noticed and the sky didn't fall in.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Using liturgical texts out of context, so old that they have been doing it since Biblical times.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Ha ha. Yes, nice one.

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....and indeed quite possibly before.....

however imitation is the sincerest form of flattery or so we are told and I don't see any reason why different churches can't use materials from elsewhere

And yes, I have been in a Methodist church where they once used not Evensong itself but an adaptation of it, but it was a long time ago....just after I'd finished college.

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
I would also suggest that many so-called non-denominational churches are also far more denominational than the denominations.

Especially those who proudly say that they abhor denominations, and then mix only with those who share their precise form of antidenominational denominationalism.

If you see what I mean (and, yes, I've met them). [Cool]

Brethren and Quakers. The latter being denominational in their rejection of creeds and belief statements.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016