homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Spy Wednesday in New York City

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Spy Wednesday in New York City
Miquelot
Shipmate
# 10140

- Posted      Profile for Miquelot   Email Miquelot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Holy Week in New York City, what are some Spy Wednesday observances? I know that St. Agnes in midtown and Holy Innocents in the garment district offer Tenebrae. Other suggestions?

[ 26. March 2015, 11:36: Message edited by: Miquelot ]

Posts: 319 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spy Wednesday?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
=Wed of Holy Week, due to the Gospel assigned to the day: Matt 26:14-25 in the modern Roman Lectionary. I'm not sure if it's always been Matthew, but it's long been about Judas.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. I've never heard it called that before.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very common term in church circles in English-speaking countries, for reasons already explained.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
Very common term in church circles in English-speaking countries, for reasons already explained.

Really?

I come from the country that invented speaking English and I've never heard of it before.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coming from the country that has very nearly perfected the language, I can't say I've ever heard of it either.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in an English speaking country. As a birthright Quaker, I don't remember ever hearing Spy Wednesday, but I've heard and used the expression often since I've been an Anglican.

Anyone want to take on Fig Monday?

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

Posts: 216 | From: Indiana USA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard of it either. Given the denizens of Ecclesiantics and their collective love of the obscure, the pedantic, and the arcane, I find it surprising at best that the term is as "common" as Ceremoniar postulates.

[ 26. March 2015, 18:04: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
scribbler
Shipmate
# 12268

- Posted      Profile for scribbler   Email scribbler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned the name "Spy Wednesday" from the priest of the Anglican Catholic Church parish I attended once upon a time. I think it still has some currency in old high-church/Anglo-Catholic circles.
Posts: 309 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also hadn't heard of it.

When I saw the title, I presumed it was a MW.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even the mighty Fortescue used it! Here are others:

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/spy-wednesday

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/calendar/day.cfm?date=2014-04-16

http://www.lentmadness.org/2014/04/what-is-spy-wednesday-2/

https://www.fisheaters.com/customslent12.html

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Spy+Wednesday

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who? Whozat?

This comes from one who has two different editions Ceremonies and all the other archeo-liturgical impedimentiary tomes conveniently located on his groaning shelves.

To cite Fortescue and these other sites (the third of which calls Spy Wednesday "this unusual name for the Wednesday in Holy Week") doesn't make for evidence of its very common use.

Church signboards, church newsletters, church website, and the like would be more to the point.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
Even the mighty Fortescue used it! Here are others:

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/spy-wednesday

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/calendar/day.cfm?date=2014-04-16

http://www.lentmadness.org/2014/04/what-is-spy-wednesday-2/

https://www.fisheaters.com/customslent12.html

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Spy+Wednesday

Those sites appear to be from the USA as do the posters familiar with the term. It must be a pond thing.

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am fairly certain I learned the term via Wikipedia, when I was a young Ship apprentice. I would not have said it was "common" in the general sense (as opposed to within the sorts of circles Ecclesianticians are likely to move in), though I'm equally certain it isn't an Americanism: the OED calls it an "Irish use."
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Those sites appear to be from the USA as do the posters familiar with the term. It must be a pond thing.

I'm on the west side of the Pond, and this is the first I've ever heard it. And I used to hang out in more nosebleed-type Episcopal churches, especially in New York.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have only seen the term used here on the Ship. Next Wednesday evening I will be at Tenebrae.

"Spy" is an odd choice. Judah was certainly a traitor, but was he a spy?

The Silent Acolyte: [Big Grin]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the thread title certainly got my attention. As in "what's 'Spy Wednesday'?"

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

Yes, definitely betrayed his brother Joseph, joining the rest of his brothers throwing him down an well and then selling him to slavers. And, betrayed his father by lying about the fate of his beloved son.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

I'm certainly not carrying water for anyone here, but I suspect the usage has more to do with the word to spy as to look or to search out, to espy carrying this connotation more nearly.

So the Lawless Judges send the temple police to search out Jesus to arrest him. Espying the impious traitor's kiss on Jesus' cheek in gloom of the garden, they swoop in for the Lawless Arrest.

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard it called Spy Wednesday in my many years in the Church of England including a stint at theological college where allsorts of strange terms were used [Killing me]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's US thing, I have heard it here in England off and on since the mid-sixties of the last century --- usually rather self-consciously I have to admit.

But Fig Monday: never.

[Smile]

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

Yes, definitely betrayed his brother Joseph, joining the rest of his brothers throwing him down an well and then selling him to slavers. And, betrayed his father by lying about the fate of his beloved son.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joseph Wright's The English dialect dictionary, being the complete vocabulary of all dialect words still in use, or known to have been in use during the last two hundred years published in 1904 identifies the term as being of Irish origin which seems to cohere with information elsewhere via Google.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

This year we can just call it April Fools' Day.
[Biased]

--------------------
~Tortuf

sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And...speaking of April Fool's...

http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2015/04/01/spy-wednesday-to-receive-official-status/

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cantiones Sacrae
Shipmate
# 12774

- Posted      Profile for Cantiones Sacrae   Email Cantiones Sacrae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
James Joyce mentions Spy Wednesday in Ulysses. This would concur with the earlier comment that the expression has Irish origins.
Posts: 271 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016