homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Communion on Good Friday? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Communion on Good Friday?
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A full communion service on Good Friday is a typical German Lutheran invention.
As far as I know, it is unknown in the Scandinavian or US Lutheran Churches.
Furthermore,Communion from the Reserved Sacrament,as practised by the Anglicans,Eastern Orthodox and Roman-Catholics is not allowed in the Lutheran tradition.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am at a loss to know of any (Anglican) church that has the full order of service of Mass/Eucharist/Communion with the consecration of the sacred elements on Good Friday. But I am attached to the liturgy of the presanctified as my personal choice.

At my main church, a change of priest-in-charge occurred three years ago, but one change (not for the better in my view), is that the incoming priest "dropped" the use of the presanctified, so that communion can no longer be received on Good Friday at that church. Consequently, I find my preferred usage with the presanctified in a neighbouring parish.

The rite of the presanctified makes sense to me, because in this way, communion can be received uninterruptedly on each of the three days of the Easter Triduum.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
I am at a loss to know of any (Anglican) church that has the full order of service of Mass/Eucharist/Communion with the consecration of the sacred elements on Good Friday.

The red "Lent, Holy Week and Easter" service book that ran alongside the ASB had a rubric that suggested that it was entirely appropriate to celebrate the Eucharist on Good Friday. I notice that its replacement "Times and Seasons" notes that communion should be taken from the reserved sacrament.

As I mentioned upthread, they certainly used to do a full Eucharist at St Leonard's, Streatham on Good Friday, but I don't know if they still do.

[ 04. April 2015, 15:27: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ' Three Hours' was indeed originally a Jesuit devotion,from an earlier time in the Catholic church.

Before the changes instituted by Pius XII in the 1950s the Good Friday liturgy with the Mass of the Presanctified took place in the morning.

Other parts of the day were filled with extra-liturgical or paraliturgical devotions such as Three hours, Seven last words,Stations of the Cross,Maria Desolata.

Since the changes the Mass of the Presanctified has been changed into a simple distribution of Holy Communion and many of the other extra liturgical devotions have simply disappeared.

Sometimes Anglicans have kept them.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
BCP 1662 gives readings for Communion on Good Friday, doesn't it- so presumably it must envisage (have envisaged) a celebration that day?

It also has provision fopr Holy saturday but there is no evidencve that it was evidence that it was ever ce;lebrated. Instead, 'table prayers' - ante-communion was said.

However, there is evidence from Pepys' diaries that Good Friday communion took place in St. Paul's Cathedral.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Anglo-Catholic church had the Liturgy of Good Friday, as described by Pete. The odd thing is that it started, rather than finished, at three o'clock [Ultra confused]

Good Friday is the day that I am least comfortable with moving up the candle and want a proper 3-hours as used to be done at the MOTR church of my youth. I had not realised that it came from the Jesuits.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
nobody but me
Apprentice
# 18084

- Posted      Profile for nobody but me   Email nobody but me   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am feeling tired and a bit dim: where this happened what was the reason for using reserved sacraments?
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Gamaliel. I think I'm going to start using that!

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
BCP 1662 gives readings for Communion on Good Friday, doesn't it- so presumably it must envisage (have envisaged) a celebration that day?

It also has provision fopr Holy saturday but there is no evidencve that it was evidence that it was ever ce;lebrated. Instead, 'table prayers' - ante-communion was said.

However, there is evidence from Pepys' diaries that Good Friday communion took place in St. Paul's Cathedral.

Very interesting- thank you.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
Our Anglo-Catholic church had the Liturgy of Good Friday, as described by Pete. The odd thing is that it started, rather than finished, at three o'clock [Ultra confused]

That is the time appointed in the "extraordinary form" of the Roman Rite, and both the traditional Roman Catholic churches in this area (SSPX and FSSP) had their Liturgies at 3. (The Anglican cathedral came close, at 2, going to about 4 or so).

I'm given to understand that it's less common in the US, since the provision of a statutory holiday on Good Friday varies by state. In Canada, however, I have never encountered an evening Good Friday Liturgy.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Eucharist on Good Friday … No offering, either ...
Posts: 401 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teilhard:
No Eucharist on Good Friday … No offering, either ...

In the Canadian Church, as far as I can remember in my Catholic adulthood, there is a special collection for the Holy Land. Preprinted envelopes are in your envelope set, or available in the pews.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nobody but me:
I am feeling tired and a bit dim: where this happened what was the reason for using reserved sacraments?

It is very ancient.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not keen on celebrations of the Eucharist on Good Friday, but I'd accept communion from the reserved sacrament and it took me a while to get used to that. We receive it in just one kind though - I think it's because of the events we're commemorating (?)

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gottschalk
Shipmate
# 13175

- Posted      Profile for Gottschalk   Email Gottschalk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, Forthview. The typological aspects of the Mass of the Presanctified was lost in the 1955 Reforms - as much else of worth in the classical Roman Triduum. The Priest alone would take communion then, illustrating, even representing what is typologically set forth in the lection from Hebrews.

--------------------
Gottschalk
Ad bellum exit Ajax

Posts: 157 | From: The Kingdom of Fife | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

But the priest was usually the only one to communicate at any mass back then. General communion was rare.

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends what you mean by 'back then'.Yes,it was the case on Good Friday at the Mass of the PreSanctified that only the priest communicated
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

sorry,got cut off there.
Rubrics for Good Friday stated that only the priest communicated from the Host used in the Mass of the Presanctified.

There was,however, no rubric which stated that others might not communicate.
It was generally the tradition that the priest alone communicated at the Sunday Sung Mass.
Much of this had to do with fasting laws before reception of Communion.

Granted that before the time of pope Pius X the lay faithful would generally not receive Communion more than once a month and then generally at Mass in the early morning or even
as was also common at one time outside of the celebration of Mass again in the early morning.

In the early 1900s Pius X encouraged the regular reception of Communion,even daily by the faithful.

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We did the Solemn Liturgy of Good Friday as outlined in the American Missal :

1) Altar Service (i.e. the lessons from Hosea, Hebrews, & the Passion from St John, with tracts in between)
2) the Solemn Collects
3) the Veneration of the Cross
4) the Mass of the Pre-Sanctified (i.e. communion in one kind only from the reserved Sacrament)

No organ; the choir sang the tracts, the Reproaches, Crux fidelis, and Pange lingua (not the Eucharistic one). Post-communion hymn was "Were you there?", a cappella, of course! The only strangeness was that a couple of folks (who should have known better) stood at the rail for a bit waiting for someone to come around with the chalice. [Hot and Hormonal]

As mentioned above, the fact that the BCP has propers for both Good Friday & Holy Saturday implies that a celebration of the Eucharist was envisioned. I tend to like the Missal version of the Triduum much better.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016