homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anglicans in a Catholic Church

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Anglicans in a Catholic Church
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some local news: some Derby Cathedral services are being held in the nearby Roman Catholic Church until the decorators have finished. Having seen all kinds of Christian and even multi-faith services being held in the Cathedral and other various churches around the city I find it surprising that this is a first for the UK. Has there been a softening of attitudes towards this kind of thing or has it just never occurred to anyone to ask before? I know in Derby the Anglican Cathedral is on friendly terms with the local Catholic Church due to historical links (The Padley Martyrs) but I would have expected something like this to have happened before.
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be a first for Anglicans in a Catholic church,but it is not unknown in Scotland for Presbyterians to use a Catholic church for services.

Equally it is not uncommon for Catholics to use Anglican church for services.

A few years ago on Easter Sunday afternoon I was passing the beautifully sited Glenfinnan Catholic church.There was obviously a service taking place.
When I went in to see ,it was a Church of Scotland baptism. Given that the area around is majority Catholic the Presbyterians use the church for occasional services.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know at least one URC church in our neck of the woods which hosts a weekly Catholic Mass after its own service.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are specifically talking about Cathedral services - Anglicans using Catholic churches and vice versa is pretty common.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, this is specifically about Cathedral services. I know that some local Catholics are uneasy about it but I don't really know why a Cathedral service should be any different to any other service, particularly when it is mainly stuff like evensong where Bishops are never seen.
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're only talking about cathedral services, we need to start by considering how often cathedrals are closed for longish periods due to refurbishment. Without hard evidence, I assume this is more likely to happen now with increased health and safety rules.

Maybe other people can help me here, but I can't actually think of any time when this has happened. In which case it's hardly surprising that no cathedral has ever used a catholic church as a temporary home.

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This probably is a first for English cathedrals, but bear in mind that compared with other cathedrals, Derby is quite small - about the size of a large-ish parish church. Where most cathedrals have space to continue in various side chapels (some of which are the size of a modest parish church) while building works take place, that's not really possible at Derby.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it was a Parish Church until 1927.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still is.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure I really see the difference between a parish church holding services in a Catholic church and a cathedral doing the same.

The church where I was a curate had, some 10 years before, suffered a severe fire. Whilst the building was being rebuilt, all services were held in the local Catholic shack. By all accounts, this went well and relationships between Anglicans and Catholics in the town improved considerably.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several years ago there was a devastating fire at Trinity Cathedral (Episcopal) here in Phoenix. Services were held at a nearby Catholic church while rebuilding was underway.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the big incentives to build Christ Church (later Cathedral) in Montréal was the perceived indignity of having to worship in borrowed RC premises (the Recollet chapel) filled with "graven images."

I know there have been controversies in the US over the use of RC cathedrals for Episcopal and United Methodist ordination services.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall that at least the last three bishops of the Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana were consecrated at Sacred Heart Church, now a Basilica, in Notre Dame, Indiana. It didn't strike me as unusual. The Roman Catholics were present as observers, as I remember, and there was a nice spirit of harmonious co-operation all around.

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

Posts: 216 | From: Indiana USA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Anglicans use the Basilica for the privilege of the organ. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
I'm not sure I really see the difference between a parish church holding services in a Catholic church and a cathedral doing the same.

I think the point wasn't the status of Derby Cathedral as a bishop's seat and parish church.

The point was it was architecturally more like a parish church than a typical cathedral, ie smaller.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Louisville KY, Cathedral of the Assumption (RC) and Christ Church Cathedral (TEC) are precisely 3 blocks apart in the mid-town area. Relations between the two have been friendly for years and many projects are undertaken jointly.

For several years (don't know if it still continues) they shared Vespers/Evensong services on the Sundays in Lent, alternating locations, sharing in the liturgy and preaching, etc. This was climaxed by a joint beginning of the Easter Vigil, which began in a public square between the 2 churches with Blessing the Fire and Paschal Candles and then processions formed to the churches.

The most interesting year, however, was that when Christ Church was closed for renovation. The complete services was at Assumption, with both Bps present and officiating, all clergy and choirs from both churches taking part.
The way it ran was:
  • blessing the fire - outside the building
  • [blessing the paschal candles - ditto
  • procession into church
  • Exsultet - my memory is that 2 deacons alternated paragraphs, but that may not be correct
  • lessons & canticles - readers and singers from the 2 congos alternating (more or less)
  • baptisms - IIRC there were no TEC candidates
  • AND THEN
  • Episcopalians went in procession to the undercroft
  • Eucharist was continued by each of the Bps (one 'high' one 'low')
I am told that the RC Bp said before beginning the Offertory action, 'All of you, look at the empty seats our friends have left. Don't move over to fill them up. Keep them as a reminder of the divisions in the Church.'
It was a splendid and moving event.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Louisville KY, Cathedral of the Assumption (RC) and Christ Church Cathedral (TEC) are precisely 3 blocks apart in the mid-town area. Relations between the two have been friendly for years and many projects are undertaken jointly.

For several years (don't know if it still continues) they shared Vespers/Evensong services on the Sundays in Lent, alternating locations, sharing in the liturgy and preaching, etc. This was climaxed by a joint beginning of the Easter Vigil, which began in a public square between the 2 churches with Blessing the Fire and Paschal Candles and then processions formed to the churches.

The most interesting year, however, was that when Christ Church was closed for renovation. The complete services was at Assumption, with both Bps present and officiating, all clergy and choirs from both churches taking part.
The way it ran was:
  • blessing the fire - outside the building
  • [blessing the paschal candles - ditto
  • procession into church
  • Exsultet - my memory is that 2 deacons alternated paragraphs, but that may not be correct
  • lessons & canticles - readers and singers from the 2 congos alternating (more or less)
  • baptisms - IIRC there were no TEC candidates
  • AND THEN
  • Episcopalians went in procession to the undercroft
  • Eucharist was continued by each of the Bps (one 'high' one 'low')
I am told that the RC Bp said before beginning the Offertory action, 'All of you, look at the empty seats our friends have left. Don't move over to fill them up. Keep them as a reminder of the divisions in the Church.'
It was a splendid and moving event.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016