homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Easter In Malta

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Easter In Malta
Intrepid Thurifer
Shipmate
# 77

- Posted      Profile for Intrepid Thurifer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just returned from Malta where I spent Easter. They have tradition of visiting seven altars of repose after the mass on Holy Thursday and the churches are packed. Is this custom done anywhere else in the world. They also fly the flag at half mast on all their buildings on Good Friday.
Posts: 142 | From: Melbourne Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm certainly aware of the custom, but I don't know how common it is to do it. I spent a couple of hours at our altar of repose, and we had a group of half a dozen or so young-ish people (early 20s) come in about 10pm, stay for 5 minutes or so to pray and then leave. I assume that's what they were doing.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the idea of flying the flag at half mast on Good Friday. Even if civic buildings didn't want to do it, the churches could. This year, it seemed as if Good Friday was just any other day. If the shops were closed, it was on Easter Monday rather than the Friday.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The visiting of 7 Altars of Repose goes back to the time when ,in the Roman rite,the Mass of Maundy Thursday was held in the morning.
This would be before the mid 1950s.
During the rest of the day people would visit other Altars. Why a tradition of 7 I do not know.

The tradition has died out in many countries since the Maundy Thursday Mass is held in the evening.
It is still common in Italy and other Southern European countries where people are regularly out
walking in the evening and where there are a good number of churches in close proximity.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016