homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Churches Greenpoint, Brooklyn?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Churches Greenpoint, Brooklyn?
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Visiting across the Pond and have a morning to myself. Any of you early birds have any recommendations for churches? I'm in Greenpoint- needs to be walkable esp as some roads are being blocked off for the 5 boroughs bike ride. I've some ideas but thought I'd throw it out here to see...Ta

P.s. no not MWing

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I don't know Greenpoint at all. At any rate, it would have been difficult to recommend a church within walking distance without knowing exactly where you were staying.

As it is now after noon in NYC, I trust you found something suitable.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Sorry, I don't know Greenpoint at all. At any rate, it would have been difficult to recommend a church within walking distance without knowing exactly where you were staying.

As it is now after noon in NYC, I trust you found something suitable.

No problem - thanks for replying in any case. In the event, I went with my gut feeling and visited Greenpoint Reformed Church in Milton Street. I don't MW anymore nowadays, but if I had, they'd have come out well - small, friendly, inclusive, and really trying to live out the gospel in practical ways. I'll certainly visit again if ever I'm back in the area.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting! My son and daughter-in-law live nearby in Williamsburg. I actually walked by there last May (Mrs. Eluia and I were house-sitting for them during their honeymoon) and the Lutheran church across the street from Greenpoint Reformed caught my eye. Here's their website:

http://greenpointchurch.org/

Looks like they are doing good work.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
Interesting! My son and daughter-in-law live nearby in Williamsburg. I actually walked by there last May (Mrs. Eluia and I were house-sitting for them during their honeymoon) and the Lutheran church across the street from Greenpoint Reformed caught my eye. Here's their website:

http://greenpointchurch.org/

Looks like they are doing good work.

That's the one. My impressions from one - albeit brief visit, of course - was that yes, they probably put some of the larger churches to shame. Worth a visit if you're ever back on house - sitting duty.

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016