homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » MW 2853 St. Mark's Cathedral, Seattle

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: MW 2853 St. Mark's Cathedral, Seattle
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

I'm not sure the lack of welcoming is a fair criticism of this service. I haven't been to their choral evensong, but St. Mark's may see it as more akin to their famous Sunday night Compline: a meditative, contemplative experience to which greeting and glad-handing attendees may not be conducive. I'd think one of their Sunday morning services would be a better measure of how welcoming they really are.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone should go and find out.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a similar reaction. Evening or not, cathedral congregations tend to be a little more diffuse and attract people who for a variety of reasons are looking for something other than the "family church" experience.

More broadly (and relevant to me knowing as many Anglicans on the autism spectrum as I do), it occurs to me that the MW questions relating to the sense of "welcome" tend to be leading. The implicit assumption is that a good "score" on welcoming means being individually and cheerfully greeted and shepherded to coffee hour. There are many, of course, for whom these would not be selling points for a church!

Mind you, I guess this is true of the questionnaire as a whole: I may give a place a 2 because the sermon was half an hour long, the peace a halftime show, and the hymns read off a projector screen, and a reader may think, "I have to check that out!" The challenge then becomes to give an account that both faithfully reports one's own subjective impressions as well as giving enough of a "field report" to allow the reader to make a judgment.

[ 08. May 2015, 20:26: Message edited by: Knopwood ]

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a satisfactory welcome or lack thereof is a very subjective thing and varies from reporter to reporter.

A heartfelt "Good morning and welcome. Have you been here before?" is quite enough for me. But for others, that would be akin to being ignored completely.

Some people like to be assigned a buddy at the door who will stick by your side throughout the service and into the coffee hour. But that would send me screaming from the place.

I don't know how the MW questions could be made less leading. It's up to the reader to judge if the service as described would or would not appeal to him.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, too, would like to see a second report from a Sunday morning Eucharist. My bet is that there will be a greeting and welcome upon entering the building.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say that the initial response to the MW, not the OP but the comment to the MW embedded in the link, was not a fair response.

quote:
I don't entirely understand why the visitor expected a personal welcome at a service that is known locally primarily as a radio broadcast.
Is the service worship or a concert?
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking from experience at our local Cathedral, the officiant at Evensong usually welcomes people immediately after the opening Versicles and Responses (just before the Office Hymn).

Certainly on Sundays, one or more of the attending clergy are sometimes on hand to meet-and-greet as people leave the Quire.

Surely no more than that is called for at a service which is often attended by people who simply do not want or need anything more effusive?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a little surprised at the MWer expressing doubt about where to sit when the presence of a sign giving that information had already been noted - presumably the Cathedral wouldn't direct worshippers to sit somewhere where they couldn't hear the choir?

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
I would say that the initial response to the MW, not the OP but the comment to the MW embedded in the link, was not a fair response.

quote:
I don't entirely understand why the visitor expected a personal welcome at a service that is known locally primarily as a radio broadcast.
Is the service worship or a concert?
That commenter was confusing Evensong (which was the service reported on) with Compline at St. Mark's, which has long been broadcast live on KING FM. Like her, though, I wouldn't expect the same kind of welcome at a contemplative evening service like that in the MW as I would on Sunday morning. And in fairness, though I've been to St. Mark's many times, I haven't attended their Evensong.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Well, I hope someone goes this Sunday and writes it up. PM me if you need to know how to file a MW report.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
That commenter was confusing Evensong (which was the service reported on) with Compline at St. Mark's, which has long been broadcast live on KING FM. Like her, though, I wouldn't expect the same kind of welcome at a contemplative evening service like that in the MW as I would on Sunday morning. And in fairness, though I've been to St. Mark's many times, I haven't attended their Evensong.

Granted, but I think my point still stands. ISTM that the primary purpose for the Compline service, which I've had the pleasure of listening to many times over the internet, is to worship God. It just happens to be a service that is being broadcast. Take away that broadcast and I'm sure they would still be gathering together and worshipping.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016