homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Are hymn meters different in Welsh?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Are hymn meters different in Welsh?
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several years ago, I attended a Gymanfa Ganu where I believe the song leader said that while common meter in English is (iambic) 8,6,8,6, common meter in Welsh is (trochaic) 8,7,8,7. Does anyone on the ship know if this is so? Perhaps I misunderstood.
If this is the wrong board, I ask your forgiveness and re-direction.

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

Posts: 216 | From: Indiana USA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of that personally, nor found it when picking hymns and matching tunes to them. Anybody else?
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My perception of welsh language constructions is that 32,46,32,48 would be a more common metre

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do I detect a Point of View there, Zappa?
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not 'musical' - at least not in the 'taught' sense - so I can't really comment on hymn-metres. My wife probably could.

I'm not sure there is any substantial difference between Welsh hymn-tune metres and English or other ones ... I'll ask my wife.

I do think that Welsh hymn tunes tend to be in the minor key, though - but that's different.

I do write poetry and although I can manage iambics and so on, I often say that the standard, received wisdom about alternating stressed and unstressed syllables in English verse doesn't apply so readily to people with Welsh accents as we tend to put the stress in a different place ... the accent is always on the penulTIMate syllable in Welsh accented speech - and this is what gives it a characteristic lilt.

The Scots have a different stress pattern too - although, of course, both the Scots and the Welsh are familiar with the standard stress pattern in English.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The metres are exactly the same: that is, they describe the number of syllables per line.

What may be different is the label given to some metres - but then you'll find English common metre isn't common metre in Germany either...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that "common meter" is determined by the modal metre for the metrical psalms in that language. There is, therefore, no reason the common meter should be the same in different languages. It might well depend on the preferred meter of a small number of lyricists.

Never thought that a liturgical question might come down to simple statistical definitions.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the index of metres in "Caneuon Ffydd"

Short metre 6686
Welsh short metre 6786
Common metre 8686
Psalm metre 8787
Long metre 8888

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
According to the index of metres in "Caneuon Ffydd"

Short metre 6686
Welsh short metre 6786
Common metre 8686
Psalm metre 8787
Long metre 8888

And all huzzah! Thank you, dyfrig. That's a good lead on the subject.

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

Posts: 216 | From: Indiana USA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016