homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Cities and diocese with more than one cathedral (of the same denomination) (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cities and diocese with more than one cathedral (of the same denomination)
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
In France cathedrals of dioceses which were suppressed in the early 1800s by various concordats are really parish churches. Once again parishes have often changed fairly recently covering wider areas than before.
The cathedral of St Vincent (de Saragosse) in St Malo is part of the archdiocese of Rennes.It is the only working church 'intra muros'( inside the walled city) but is part of a team of churches in other parts of St Malo,sharing clergy and structuring Mass times to suit,both clergy and laity.

Ditto in Tours, another city I know. Toulouse has a parish group (ensemble paroissiale) with the cathedral of S Stephen and three other churches-- no mention of a dean on the site, but there is a curé pastoral, five priests, and a deacon. Toulouse is united with two other dioceses, which retain their own cathedrals (Saint Bertrand de Comminges, also on the Camino to Santiago, and Rieux)-- the Toulouse Centre Deanery also has another two parishes, and a student parish. I could check on a few other cathedral sites but I would guess that the idea of a non-parochial cathedral no longer exists in France.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oblates, I think I can unequivocally say that the normal pronunciation in England is singular, dye-uh-siss, plural dye-uh-seize. I have heard dye-uh-seizes as a plural. I don't think I've ever heard dye-uh-seize as a singular.

I was so puzzled by the argument about 'erroneous' pronunciations that I checked Fowler, who says that until about 1800, the singular was spelt diocess.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
In France cathedrals of dioceses which were suppressed in the early 1800s by various concordats are really parish churches. Once again parishes have often changed fairly recently covering wider areas than before.
The cathedral of St Vincent (de Saragosse) in St Malo is part of the archdiocese of Rennes.It is the only working church 'intra muros'( inside the walled city) but is part of a team of churches in other parts of St Malo,sharing clergy and structuring Mass times to suit,both clergy and laity.

Ditto in Tours, another city I know.
I can't be sure of these facts, but as far as I know Tours has a bishop (or even archbishop). But the cathedral is in a group with several other city parishes and there is a very sparse service schedule: one mass on a Sunday and maybe one during the week, or something like that. I got the impression that one (rather elderly. if he is the one I saw awaiting a wedding party) priest is responsible for the whole lot. The French church is in a bad way: a friend of mine lives in a village in Burgundy where there is a mass in the parish church once every three months if they are lucky.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at the website for Catholic worship in central Tours there are five Masses in three separate churches
St Pierre de Ville 18.30 Sat. and 10 on Sunday
(The 10.a.m Mass is described as 'rite Jean XXIII')
Cathedral is 11.00 and 18.30
Sacre-Coeur is at 10 a.m.

There is also a daily Mass at 19.00 in the chapelle St Michel.

Of course there are a good number of other churches in Tours,including the Basilique St Martin which has Mass every day at 11.a.m.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016