homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » London church with weekday evening Eucharist?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: London church with weekday evening Eucharist?
Notapassingphase
Apprentice
# 18422

- Posted      Profile for Notapassingphase   Email Notapassingphase   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Newbie here. Hello.

I can't get to church on Sundays at the moment, and its starting to look longish term, so I'm looking for a church I can go to in the week. There are plenty of options for a quick quiet Communion at lunchtime, but I'm hoping to find something with a bit, well, more... community, I suppose.

So, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a church that might fit this bill -
- in Central London, or the City, or south-east London
- inclusive / LGB affirming, Anglican, not too evangelical
- with an after-work / weeknight Eucharist, with music.
My first thought was the Cathedrals (St Paul's and Southwark are both near my office) but in fact they don't really work timing wise.

While I'm here, and if it's not pushing my luck too much to ask 2 questions in my first post, can anyone explain what someone meant on another thread when they compared those two cathedrals as being 'different denominations'? I think it was a joke, and one or the other was 'achingly right-on' (sounds ok to me!), but I didn't get it...

TIA [Smile]

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings, and welcome aboard. As I think it was me who made that flippant comment about the two cathedrals I suppose I should have a go at explaining it. Southwark diocese always had (well, since + Mervyn Stockwood's time in the 60s and 70s, anyway)a slightly caricatured reputation for liberal theology and what would now be described as 'inclusive church' things- supportive of women clergy, gay people, and so on. Those of us South of the River, at least back in the 90s when I was there, used to find it easy to stereotype London as authoritarian and riven by internal feuds between TradCaths and ConEvos. hence my facetious comment. But I must admit that I do still have a very soft spot for Southwark.
Can't really help with suggestion of a church as it's years since I was around there, but a quick Google suggests that St Mary Newington (Giles Fraser's shack, near the Elephant & Castle) has a said mass on a Tuesday evening. Any good?

[ 18. July 2015, 20:58: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Notapassingphase
Apprentice
# 18422

- Posted      Profile for Notapassingphase   Email Notapassingphase   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
reputation for liberal theology and what would now be described as 'inclusive church' things- supportive of women clergy, gay people, and so on
Thanks Albertus. Sounds like my kind of place then.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bear in mind I haven't worshipped there for getting on for 20 years!
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may like to try Old St Pancras Church which has a 7pm Tuesday Eucharist followed by drinks. It is a dear little church(not to be confused with its much larger neighbour on Euston Road), d very atmospheric, and a wonderfully warm congregation, with lots of community connections and a gifted vicar in Fr James Elston (who has just been made the team rector.

St James Paddington also has a 6.30pm Eucharist every day with incense and short reflection

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry...got cut off

A few other options

St Andrew's Holborn has a Sung Eucharist on Wednesday at 7pm

St Paul's Knightsbridge a Eucharist with hymns on Wednesday at 6.45pm

St Martin's in the Fields Bread for World informal Eucharist with choral scholars and Taize is wonderful - Wednesday at 6.30pm (but taking a break until September)

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Saints' Margaret St. has Eucharists early morning, lunchtime and early evening daily throughout the week. You can look them up on their website, or I can post again to give the exact times when I have looked them up.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnaqE41jui8

Only a passing phase.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Notapassingphase
Apprentice
# 18422

Ha! Venbede I like that.

Everyone, thank you for all the suggestions; that will keep me busy. If anyone else has any more - particularly City/south-east-ish - keep them coming; I am happy to try several to find the right one.

*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The city events page lists a lot of regular services in the city.

(It might be worth checking the church's own website before going to any great effort to attend something; people sometimes neglect to tell the city events people about changes in their regular pattern of services)

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
All Saints' Margaret St. has Eucharists early morning, lunchtime and early evening daily throughout the week. You can look them up on their website, or I can post again to give the exact times when I have looked them up.

On re-reading I see that you are concerned just with evening Masses.

All Saints' Margaret Street has a 6.30 pm Mass Monday to Friday every evening. There is also a Mass at that time on a Saturday evening, which is first Mass of Sunday. On Sunday evening, there is a said Mass at 5.15 pm.

If you want Evening Prayer as well, that is said daily throughout the week at 6.00 pm - on Sundays, this is solemnly sung with sermon and Benediction.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Notapassingphase:
Ha! Venbede I like that.

If you liked that song from Sandy Wilson's Valmouth you might like this as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUE08IJymkY

The cathedral of Clemenza is the ritziest of them all.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016