homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » MW2897 Bethany Evangelical Church (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW2897 Bethany Evangelical Church
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fascinating thread – thanks.
Many years ago I was called-up for National Service. When I was posted to Malta my father (on the advice of others, I guess) encouraged me to attend the Brethren Assembly there, although we were members of an FIEC church. It was mostly military people who attended the Assembly in Floriana although the ‘leader’ (as he was perceived, I think) was a civilian living on the Island. I remain very thankful, though having rejected the faith, for the friendship, acceptance and encouragement to Christian growth that I experienced there. The older married couples were incredibly hospitable; all we younger service people could offer in return was a baby-sitting service. In Malta, the women wore head-coverings and did not take part in services, if I remember correctly (in the late 1950’s).
I believe there is still an evangelical church on the site although whether they meet in the basement as we did I do not know.
I have a feeling that the Open Brethren were active overseas amongst military people in those days.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
When I was posted to Malta

General William Dobbie, governor of Malta during WWII, was Brethren.

He appears to have got on very well with the Roman Catholic population, who of course won a collective George Cross for their conduct during his term there.

He was also incidentally, the uncle of Orde Wingate.

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never, during my decades in the Brethren, ever come across the nature of the Communion bread - loaf, cubes, wafers, whatever - as an issue, and given the fissiparous proclivities of the Brethren, that is fairly remarkable.

At our last assembly we had cubes, with separate cubes of gluten-free bread for coeliacs such as myself.

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
fissiparous proclivities of the Brethren

[Overused]

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
No, I guessed what you meant. But I've never heard the word used in the context of Eucharist (not even by my Anglican friends when they refer to breaking up the large wafer into small pieces). Nor have I ever heard Evangelicals sneering at it. That was my puzzle. [Confused]

I'm not wholly surprised by your surprise - the term 'fraction' is used in the rubrics describing the actions to be made during Holy Communion/Mass in Anglican and Roman Catholic services, but I have never heard the word actually said. It is just something that the president does, usually while saying a prayer of some kind. Unless you read the full Missal or Prayer Book you would probably never encounter it.

Of course, most other denominations do the same thing, and may use the term in their official 'literature' as well, although I suspect it is rarer... and even less likely to be encountered.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Metapelagius (you know you're reading this): Your PM box is full ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016