homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Singing belief to the heavens? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Singing belief to the heavens?
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've heard it sung with guitar, drums, dancing and incense. Very powerful when all accompaniment ceased as all genuflected during the incarnatus and began joyously as all rose after "became man."

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Is anyone, please, able to answer my question of three days ago as to why dear old, and now late, Father Spiky might have insisted one should not sing the creed?

My recollection is that C of E parishes which adopted the Vat II reform of the liturgy (!) stopped singing the creed as part of that move. I don't think it was anything to do with personal preference or idiosyncratic clergy. On the contrary, it was only oddballs (and those who ignored the bigger picture) who continued to sing.
Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
It puzzles me when people say they object to saying the creed because they aren't sure they believe all of it. It's what the church, collectively and historically has decided it believes. If one's feeling a bit wobbly this week about some phrase in it, isn't it sufficient to say to oneself, 'this is what I aspire to believe' or 'this is what I'd like to believe'.

I completely agree with this - but find that many people don't get the point and get anxious about the Creed - and they bare pamndered to by an every-increasing set of options in Common Worship whereby you can replace the Nicene creed with little responsories.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The objection I hear most often (and I have some sympathy with it) it that by stating "We believe..." they are making a statement about the belief of others in the building saying it at the same time and that it may well be that they don't share all beliefs with others in the same church.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's easily solved by going back to the first-person singular, as it was first introduced into the liturgy.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016