homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Preaching without notes (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Preaching without notes
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Earlier in the summer I was preaching, with a radio mike and also a mike on the lectern (we don't have a pulpit, so I usually preach from there). Someone had changed the batteries in the mikes and my opening words boomed around the church, so I moved the mike further down my jacket. But, when I got up to preach the combination of both mikes and proximity to one of the speakers was a bad combination. I made some lame joke about it being good to be heard, but there's such a thing as too much of a good thing, and switched the mikes off.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were told by our sound engineer to always turn our radio mike off when we came to the ambo (which had its own mike).

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I do wish that Scripture readers - who may not do it all that often - rehearsed their lessons more frequently. And that they didn't bring up to the lectern a tiny Bible with miniscule text they can't follow and thin pages they can't turn, rather than using the one that's already there and open at the right page!

Even better - get them to come to church with their reading printed out, in a suitably large font. It takes 5 minutes, maximum, these days. We have a couple of people who do that and they always know what they are saying and are clear and "listenable".
The Lectionary Page is your friend!
The Lectionary Page

Re the original post: I will be preaching in a few weeks (I'm a lay person in the very beginning stages of a "discernment" process) and am definitely relying on a written text. But I'm pretty good at reading with feeling and liveliness.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I do wish that Scripture readers - who may not do it all that often - rehearsed their lessons more frequently. And that they didn't bring up to the lectern a tiny Bible with miniscule text they can't follow and thin pages they can't turn, rather than using the one that's already there and open at the right page!

Even better - get them to come to church with their reading printed out, in a suitably large font. It takes 5 minutes, maximum, these days. We have a couple of people who do that and they always know what they are saying and are clear and "listenable".
The Lectionary Page is your friend!
The Lectionary Page

I would usually use textweek.com as it provides links to a range of sites (Bible gateway, etc) so you can pick the translation (presumably to that of the pew Bibles, whichever version the preacher is expecting). But, there is no real excuse for not being able to get the text printed in advance, and rehearsed a bit too.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
[QUOTE]I would usually use textweek.com as it provides links to a range of sites (Bible gateway, etc) so you can pick the translation (presumably to that of the pew Bibles, whichever version the preacher is expecting). But, there is no real excuse for not being able to get the text printed in advance, and rehearsed a bit too.

Yes, Textweek has a lot of good resources.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
https://www.biblegateway.com/

is a website with many bible versions incuding other languages is you so wish

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Which then requires you to enter the passages ... as I said, textweek (and probably other places) take you straight to the right text within Biblegateway (or other similar online Bible sites). Which can save the problems of a slip of the fingers which meant that a couple of years ago I'd prepared a sermon on the lectionary epistle of 2 Timothy 2:3-15, and heard 1 Timothy 2:3-15 read, and noticed the indrawn breath in the congregation when it got to "I want women to dress modestly ... A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach". That was an interesting morning.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advantage of having a uniform lectionary tradition.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like textweek for its easy links to exegetic material too. I'm not a preacher but my travelling lifestyle forces me to miss church often. Through textweek, I can at least read interesting things about this week's lecture.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016