homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Double-Entendre Lyrics (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Double-Entendre Lyrics
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have recently come across some music to be used in a service (not at my parish) which has a distinct double-entendre. Those of a more innocent mind than me simply cannot see the double-entendre: but others see it as soon as the words are read out and break into laughter. I fear that the service could be disrupted by this.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? How did you deal with it?

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't usually hang out in Eccles, so I don't know the rules on posting something like that, but...care to share?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at college, the second verse of this Marian hymn caused much snickering and giggling in chapel. You see, the particular fruit referred to in the second half of the verse is apparently (in some circles) slang for a certain part of the male anatomy.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go, labor on; spend, and be spent has the memorable last verse:
quote:
Soon shalt thou hear the Bridegroom's voice, the midnight peal, "Behold, I come!"

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the classic is:

quote:
Originally written by someone more innocent than I

Jesus take me as I am
I can come no other way

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Go, labor on; spend, and be spent has the memorable last verse:
quote:
Soon shalt thou hear the Bridegroom's voice, the midnight peal, "Behold, I come!"

Another one that I suspect is not sung much these days, starts with the words,
quote:
Behold the Bridegroom cometh in the middle of the night,
And blest is he whose loins are girt, whose lamp is burning bright;

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The wonderful old processional hymn 'Jerusalem, my happy home' used to amuse our choir with the line:
Our Lady sings Magnificat with tune surpassing sweet,
and all the virgins bear their parts, sitting around her seat.

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Surely the classic is:

quote:
Originally written by someone more innocent than I

Jesus take me as I am
I can come no other way

On a similar note, at one point during the 'March for Jesus' era - it was common for the Chris Bowater song 'This is a mystery' to be sung by the marchers, which included the chorus:

quote:

Let the Bride say ‘Come’
Let the bride say ‘Come’
Let the bride of the Lamb say ‘Come Lord Jesus ‘

Which led to much snickering on the part of onlookers.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Lord you put a tongue in my mouth

Fnarr fnarr hyuck hyuck kersnip kersnip arf arf!

[ 22. September 2015, 11:22: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enoch I remember that hymn - it was number 3 in the old English Hymnal and caused much hilarity among trebles in my youth.

But then younger trebles are easily amused: the line Where are ye all, ye virgins wise? was also the cause of much sniggering.

The best, mainly because of an unfamiliar word, was the fourth verse of Come, thou Holy Paraclete
quote:
What is soiled, make thou pure;
What is wounded, work its cure;
What is parched fructify;
What is rigid, gently bend;
What is frozen, warmly tend;
Straighten what goes erringly.

In the choir at home pay was deducted from anyone who corpsed; at school, detentions were given out.

[ 22. September 2015, 11:43: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a small schoolboy in the company of other small schoolboys, we used to find it hard enough to get through the final verse of Dear Lord and Father of mankind without a snigger.

"Breathe through the heats of our desire" was sufficient to cause a wave of titters. We wouldn't have stood a chance with "Behold the Bridegroom cometh."

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a classic double entendre, as the other meaning isn't crude, but there's also a hymn that starts with the line,
quote:
"Pierce my ear, O Lord, my God"
It's inspired by scripture, Ex 21:1-6. But that doesn't let the writer off the charge of not having quite enough imagination for the job.

I've never heard it sung, but it was in some songbooks. Here should be a video of it.

Has any Shipmate actually heard it sung, or even sung it themselves?

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a shame, because it is a grand old redemption hymn, but I am afraid that
quote:
Out of my bondage, sorrow, and night,
Jesus, I come! Jesus, I come!

is quite unsingable now.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that an old Protestant hymn refers to "between the sheaves", often amended by mischievous boys to "between the sheets".
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
It's not a classic double entendre, as the other meaning isn't crude, but there's also a hymn that starts with the line,
quote:
It's inspired by scripture, Ex 21:1-6. But that doesn't let the writer off the charge of not having quite enough imagination for the job.

Yes indeed. It was a favourite of our Youth Group for a while when I was a teenager (many years ago). The meaning was explained to us when we first sang it, and I don't remember it raising any more than the odd smile after that. We didn't sing 'Take me to your door...', if I remember correctly, but 'Take me to your home...'

We were far more entertained by 'You shall go out with joy', where one of the lads could always be heard stage whispering 'Who's Joy?'

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
[QUOTE] Out of my bondage, sorrow, and night,

Don't we have a private board for that?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:
quote:

Yes indeed. It was a favourite of our Youth Group for a while when I was a teenager (many years ago). The meaning was explained to us when we first sang it, and I don't remember it raising any more than the odd smile after that. We didn't sing 'Take me to your door...', if I remember correctly, but 'Take me to your home...'
Just to add that the idea of serving God through choice was all that we heard - we gave no thought at all to the issue of slavery that underpinned the lyrics.

[ 22. September 2015, 16:31: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The wife of our former Dean suggested that 'There's a Wideness in God's Mercy' was appropriate for Feast of the Circumcision, as it contained the line

'There is joy for all the members in the sorrows of the Head.'

In the Hymnal 1940 is was set to 'Beecher' which made it even worse.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Alleluia verse for Trinity 20 is taken from Psalm 108. The first time I ever had to sing it, it took me a bit by surprise as I was expected to respond to the versicle with "I will sing and give praise with the best member that I have."

Especially since the other choristers were giggling, damn them.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
willht
Apprentice
# 17633

- Posted      Profile for willht   Author's homepage   Email willht       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'And then there is the story about the child who wanted to meet the vision impaired club named "Gladly'."

"gladly the cross I'd bear>"

Posts: 2 | From: charlotte, nc USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It took many years of practicing self control for me to sing hymns mentioning the human breast without a snigger.

I really have to try hard not to look at anyone otherwise I would still get uncontrollable giggles.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking of which, I once heard this one, which is very hard to sing

quote:
Tossed and blown, events can floor us,
Spin the world we lose our grip..

--------------------
arse

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
The Alleluia verse for Trinity 20 is taken from Psalm 108. The first time I ever had to sing it, it took me a bit by surprise as I was expected to respond to the versicle with "I will sing and give praise with the best member that I have."

How many members have you got? Is your best one for Sundays only?

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was 'take me to your throne this day' as I recall.

No-one's mentioned the Ship favourite "Your love is amazing" yet?

Your love is surprising, I can feel it rising...

[ 22. September 2015, 22:02: Message edited by: Gill H ]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
[QUOTE] Out of my bondage, sorrow, and night,

Don't we have a private board for that?
I think the name of the private board comes from this hymn in particular the line
quote:
Your bondage is freedom; your service is song;

I had never heard of this hymn until I joined my present church, and there was a definite 'aha' moment for me the first time I sung it, when I suddenly realised just WHY our private board is so named!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

How many members have you got? Is your best one for Sundays only?
"Dammit, Gladys! That was me best member!"

--------------------

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Praise in the common things of life,
Its goings out and in"

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our particular double entendre is the following refrain (which in an Antipodean setting can be used by Australians at the expense of New Zealanders):

Jesus O Jesus
Come and fill your lambs

It is of the Hillsong genre, I believe.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...Thy couch was the sod... amuses me, but it seems that others would find various lines in that hymn funnier.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:
Our particular double entendre is the following refrain (which in an Antipodean setting can be used by Australians at the expense of New Zealanders):

Jesus O Jesus
Come and fill your lambs

Predates Hillsong by several decades - it's a Wimber song I think. Haven't heard it for many years!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was indeed written by the late, (and one time Righteous Brother) John Wimber.

The Vineyard stable also brought us the classic Take Me Away, which brought howls of laughter from the worship band that I was in at that time.

"Pour over me, Pour over me
Your oil of perfect peace [Killing me]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my TCD days it was a favourite parlour game to review the index of first lines for the most unsuitable possible wedding hymn. As pants the hart for cooling streams, all heated in the chase, was the winner. As with gladness, men of old. Many a time and oft. All my heart this night rejoices. All ye who seek for sure relief. And in certain dioceses, Who be that in yonder stall might ring a bell.

But to the OP- did not Handel's great aria, We, like sheep, cause delight in rural choristers who might have dropped a comma?

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
In my TCD days it was a favourite parlour game to review the index of first lines for the most unsuitable possible wedding hymn. As pants the hart for cooling streams, all heated in the chase, was the winner. As with gladness, men of old. Many a time and oft. All my heart this night rejoices. All ye who seek for sure relief. And in certain dioceses, Who be that in yonder stall might ring a bell.

But to the OP- did not Handel's great aria, We, like sheep, cause delight in rural choristers who might have dropped a comma?

It's a chorus, not an aria, and it's "All we, like sheep". But yes, even today it remains a source of laughter!

Adding to your list of unsuitable wedding hymns : "We plough the fields and scatter" and "See, the conqu'ror mounts in triumph."

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Adding to your list of unsuitable wedding hymns : "We plough the fields and scatter" and "See, the conqu'ror mounts in triumph."

"We plow the fields, and scatter the good seed on the land..." has always reminded me of Onan.

When I just posted this, I loved the reminder to wash my hands!

[ 23. September 2015, 17:33: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Wesley offering, for the wedding night:

quote:
[...]
My company before is gone,
And I am left alone with Thee;
With Thee all night I mean to stay,
And wrestle till the break of day.

(It's a glorious hymn, though)

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its long been a favourite game of organists to put together the list of unsuitable wedding hymns and last time we arrived at the following:

at the entrance of the bride Great God, what do I see and hear
then choose from the following
O love that wilt not let me go,
Courage brother, do not stumble,
Through the night of doubt and sorrow
We plough the fields and scatter
It came upon the midnight clear
Behold, the Bridegroom cometh in the middle of the night
It is finished, Blessed Jesus

Of course, nowadays one deals with couples with zero knowledge of either hymns or what is suitable for church - I recently had to explain to a bride why a song by Ed Sheeran with the word f*ck in the lyrics wasn't appropriate for church [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that when Tom Driberg, to the surprise of all who knew him, married, it was suggested that 'perverse and foolish oft I strayed' might be appropriately sung...

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have modified the puncutation on the first two words to give you some idea how they sounded when sung...

quote:
Blow! Blow! Blow 'till I be,
but breath of the spirit blowing in me.

I don't know when that song was written, but we were singing it(and breaking into laughing fits) at Catholic school in the late 1970s. That being era in which I would have hoped that curriculum planners would be worldly enough to recognize that they were inviting mockery by giving it to adolescents to sing.

I suppose one good thing about kids being raised in the current era of easy-access raunch culture is that future adminstrators, born in the Millenial era, upon being shown such lyrics, will know enough to say "Umm, no, just no".

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Link

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
always reminded me of Onan.

The famous budgerigar?
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

I went to a wedding some years ago where one of the hymns was 'Fight the Good Fight'. Sadly, it proved prophetic.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I went to a wedding some years ago where one of the hymns was 'Fight the Good Fight'. Sadly, it proved prophetic.

I did years ago go to a similar wedding when hymn sheets were done by a printer. This one had the words, "fight the good fight" in bold. Too late to do anything about it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
quote:
Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:

Jesus O Jesus
Come and fill your lambs

Predates Hillsong by several decades - it's a Wimber song I think. Haven't heard it for many years!
Yes, that's the one. I will soon be hearing it at an ordination; my associate priest has promised to sit next to me and jab me sharply in the ribs if I start laughing, though I think I shall probably just turn bright red to match my stole.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly away from hymns, the national song of New Zealanders is of course Handel's All we like sheep.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
It was 'take me to your throne this day' as I recall.

No-one's mentioned the Ship favourite "Your love is amazing" yet?

Your love is surprising, I can feel it rising...

"All the joy that's growing
Deep inside of me...."

I just cannot sing it with a straight face. I have to bite my tongue very hard.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Its long been a favourite game of organists to put together the list of unsuitable wedding hymns and last time we arrived at the following:

at the entrance of the bride Great God, what do I see and hear
then choose from the following
O love that wilt not let me go,
Courage brother, do not stumble,
Through the night of doubt and sorrow
We plough the fields and scatter
It came upon the midnight clear
Behold, the Bridegroom cometh in the middle of the night
It is finished, Blessed Jesus

Of course, nowadays one deals with couples with zero knowledge of either hymns or what is suitable for church - I recently had to explain to a bride why a song by Ed Sheeran with the word f*ck in the lyrics wasn't appropriate for church [Ultra confused]

Ed Sheeran in church, no (unless it's explicitly using secular songs a la a U2charist or something). Given Paul's language in some of the Epistles, can't see the issue with 'fuck' in church though perhaps not at a wedding with small children there.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Given Paul's language in some of the Epistles, can't see the issue with 'fuck' in church though perhaps not at a wedding with small children there.

Contemporary mores generally view the word "fuck" as unsuitable for polite company. Even many people who use the word as a part of their normal lexicon would be a little shocked to find it in church. It's probably best not to use language that some people will find offensive, even if you don't.

(And if you only ever have small children in your church for a wedding, I'm sorry...)

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Given Paul's language in some of the Epistles, can't see the issue with 'fuck' in church though perhaps not at a wedding with small children there.

Contemporary mores generally view the word "fuck" as unsuitable for polite company. Even many people who use the word as a part of their normal lexicon would be a little shocked to find it in church. It's probably best not to use language that some people will find offensive, even if you don't.

(And if you only ever have small children in your church for a wedding, I'm sorry...)

There are plenty of occasions where church shouldn't be polite, or should make people uncomfortable. I'm not saying this should be all the time, but it can be done effectively eg Tony Campolo. Surely there's a problem when church is too polite?

Also re small children, I was thinking along the lines of swearing in church when children are out at Sunday school, or at an evening service which tends not to have young children present. I've never seen Sunday school provision at a wedding.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd really advise against "fuck" at a church wedding (the word, numskulls) because there's bound to be a highly shockable relative or fifty attending, and it really isn't kind to send them off in fits. (Though of course this may be an added inducement to some couples)

On the other hand, it does ensure that your wedding will never, ever, EVER be forgotten, lo, for fifty years to come at every family reunion...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
There are plenty of occasions where church shouldn't be polite, or should make people uncomfortable. I'm not saying this should be all the time, but it can be done effectively eg Tony Campolo. Surely there's a problem when church is too polite?

These are different things. I agree that church shouldn't be afraid to make people uncomfortable (it's counterproductive if that happens all the time, of course). I'm not familiar with Mr. Campolo.

But there's a difference between making people uncomfortable because you're confronting their prejudices or pushing them out of their nice sheltered existence and making them confront the reality of the lives of people living a few miles away, for example (which are both good and necessary) and making them uncomfortable because you're using coarse language, which is just unnecessary.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016