homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » That hat -- tat hats!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: That hat -- tat hats!
Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

- Posted      Profile for Episcoterian   Author's homepage   Email Episcoterian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Tatler seems to be down in Oblivion, so I thought fitting to start this one.

So, I was discussing elsewhere with another shipmate the different headgear possibilities which go (or should go, or shouldn't) with different vestments and/or clericals.

Starting point, IIRC, was a Lutheran (of LCMS lineage) procession for the grand opening of a school or something. Ministers were, as it is their custom, dressed in albs, cinctures and stoles. Some were wearing sunglasses, and one of them, given the inclement sun and his almost completely gone hairline, was wearing a baseball cap.

Should we all agree this is not the most appropriate headgear he could sport in such an occasion, what would be?

We could also extend the discussion to the accompanying headgear to other ecclesiastical outfits, be they vestments or not:

What to wear when in cassock, surplice and stole/tippet? Are Canterbury caps/birettas, according to one's churchmanship, the only options?

What if a cope is added to the equation?

What to wear when outdoor in full Euchies?

And the ones I'm about to face in a couple months: what headgear to wear when in preaching gown and stole? Does it change, whether it's an UK-style gown or the American-style Geneva robe?

And finally: when in suit and clericals, could I get away with donning a Trilby, or should wider-brimmed and more "serious" choices be considered? [Razz]

--------------------
"We cannot let individualism make corporate worship impossible!" (iMonk)

I'm on Facebook too!

Posts: 286 | From: Franca, SP, Brazil | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

- Posted      Profile for Episcoterian   Author's homepage   Email Episcoterian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do I know, it was actually an Ordination. In Mozambique. Bless their hearts.

--------------------

I'm on Facebook too!

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inside, priests can wear a biretta: only cardinals and popes should wear the zuchetto inside.

Outside: either a Canterbury cap or a saturno (as often seen on Father Brown).

One of our priests wears a Canterbury cap in the winter for funerals when either accompanying the coffin to the crematorium or for the interment - he also wore it when the boiler went on strike!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Inside, priests can wear a biretta: only cardinals and popes should wear the zuchetto inside.

One of our priests wears a Canterbury cap in the winter for funerals when either accompanying the coffin to the crematorium or for the interment - he also wore it when the boiler went on strike!

Clerics ranking in seniority from bishops upwards, customarily wear the zucchetto, the colour of which is in accordance of the rank of the wearer - white for popes, scarlet for cardinals, the appropriate shade of red for archbishops and purple for bishops. Any priest wearing the zucchetto, the colour is black.

Any priests wearing the black zucchetto - liturgically or otherwise - this is not commonplace, but not unknown.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pāques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ”Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

quote:

I've seen Canterbury caps with choir dress (which in Anglican company seems to be equivalent to alb and stole anyway). But are Canterbury caps or birettas kosher in alb + stole?

In other news, looks like Good ol' Mr. Philippi found a good alternative to the Tudor bonnet or the 8-sided tam, to go with the preaching gown. Wish I knew where to buy one, though.

--------------------

I'm on Facebook too!

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like that. I'd have thought that a good dressmaker might be able to run you one up.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Episcoterian:
I've seen Canterbury caps with choir dress (which in Anglican company seems to be equivalent to alb and stole anyway). But are Canterbury caps or birettas kosher in alb + stole?

In other news, looks like Good ol' Mr. Philippi found a good alternative to the Tudor bonnet or the 8-sided tam, to go with the preaching gown. Wish I knew where to buy one, though.

Not sure what you are asking about birettas and albs?

As for the covered head when administering communion, EEK! [Ultra confused]

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
Not sure what you are asking about birettas and albs?

As for the covered head when administering communion, EEK! [Ultra confused]

I share the feeling, Ceremoniar. Hats doffed for Communion.

Please, take a look at the pic in the second post, for your edification. [Razz]

The first big question was what headdress (if any) should one wear during a procession, when in alb and stole. [Help]

--------------------

I'm on Facebook too!

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about the rules but the Canterbury cap looks most harmonious to my eyes.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Traditionally, clerical non-celebrants wore (and in traditional parishes, still wear) a cassock, surplice and biretta. The biretta is carried by hand by those in choir dress when indoors, and put on when the procession goes outdoors. In the post-V2 era, where choir dress and birettas are less frequently seen, clerics tend to wear alb and stole for every function. They can still wear birettas, but in practice, few do. And since birettas do nothing in terms of protecting one's face from the sun, ball caps seem to have been chosen by some here. A saturno might have been a better choice, but those are expensive and not easily found.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fear that Philippi provides us with an example of a cardinalatial baseball cap, but one hopes it is not for liturgical use. Another posting features a French pilgrim priest in a much more practical (avoiding the skin cancer on the exposed ears rather typical of baseball cap wearers!!) broad-brimmed campaign hat, but that would only seem useful for outdoors.

I do not have my copy of Saint Percy's text at hand but do I not recall a photograph of the Canterbury cap being worn in procession, ą la biretta? Memory also tells me that CoE rules (was it a 1603 canon?) notes that a cap or coif may be worn by a cleric for reasons of health in one of their notoriously poorly-heated churches.

While I have attended a number of services in Spanish churches over the years, including capitular masses in Leon, Oviedo, Santander, and even the bizarre fascist subterranean abbey chapel at the Valle de los Caidos I have never seen birettas worn by the clergy, either the Italian or more-sharply-horned Spanish style, let alone any of the splendid beaded- and tasselled-doctoral Spanish birettas. While I have only been at francophone RC churches in recent years, Canadian RC clerics do not seem to use the biretta at all; the only exception I know of is the usus-antiquor congregation at S Clement's/Ste Anne's in Ottawa's lower town. Perhaps I need to get out more as generally they only seem to feature here in a few Anglican settings.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
I fear that Philippi provides us with an example of a cardinalatial baseball cap, but one hopes it is not for liturgical use. Another posting features a French pilgrim priest in a much more practical (avoiding the skin cancer on the exposed ears rather typical of baseball cap wearers!!) broad-brimmed campaign hat, but that would only seem useful for outdoors.

I do not have my copy of Saint Percy's text at hand but do I not recall a photograph of the Canterbury cap being worn in procession, ą la biretta? Memory also tells me that CoE rules (was it a 1603 canon?) notes that a cap or coif may be worn by a cleric for reasons of health in one of their notoriously poorly-heated churches.

The health concerns that prompted birettas etc in cold climates lead to wearing broad-brimmed hats outdoors in hotter ones. I wore a boater as part of my school uniform, and it's still part of the uniform at my old school and also at Shore (Sydney Church of England Grammar School for Boys). Dropped by all the others, but perfectly valid in use. Like most men over 30, at least around here, I wear a hat when outdoors/out of shade. A sunburnt scalp leads to dreadful headaches in the short-term and then of course to nasties later on.

That chapel is something else. It explains why so many clergy were killed in the Spanish Civil War - and also why a number of French bishops found it politic to find in 1945/45 that they had reached retirement age.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Behold: the "Euro-mitre". The Anglican Bishop in Europe. Oh dear.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The current incumbent of St. Mary's (Campbellford, ON) wears a biretta all the time.

He is quite young and a franco-ontarian.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
quote:

Clerics ranking in seniority from bishops upwards, customarily wear the zucchetto, the colour of which is in accordance of the rank of the wearer - white for popes, scarlet for cardinals, the appropriate shade of red for archbishops and purple for bishops. Any priest wearing the zucchetto, the colour is black.

Any priests wearing the black zucchetto - liturgically or otherwise - this is not commonplace, but not unknown.

Brown zucchettos are worn by Franciscan friars who are also priests.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

- Posted      Profile for Crotalus   Author's homepage   Email Crotalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:

Uncle Geoffrey would never have worn anything like that.
Posts: 713 | From: near the knacker's yard | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:

I know why he has coloured the British Isles differently, but it does look rather like he is anticipating a Brexit, and poor old Ireland being dragged along for the ride...

Not that this is the least of the problems, but still.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016