homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Our Lady of Fifth Avenue (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Our Lady of Fifth Avenue
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
With all due respect, the apparition of Our Lady to Richeldis at Walsingham in 1061 seems to me to be one of the most positive of such events, in that Herself (rather than just telling people to Be Good, Say Your Rosary, And Obey The Pope) was concerned that England should be forever reminded in a concrete manner of the importance of the Incarnation of Our Lord.

This is (IMHO) the great strength of Walsingham to this day, for Anglicans, RCs, and Orthodoxen alike.

Yes, I think there is a lot to that. As is sometimes pointed out, the image of our Lady of Walsingham depicts Her holding aloft the Christchlild, and pointing to Him.

That seems to me to be the essence of Marian devotion - to bring us towards He whom she was 'meet to bear'.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the statue of Our Lady of Fifth Avenue was carved by Mother Concordia Scott, who also carved the statues of Our Lady of Pew in Westminster Abbey and Our Lady Undercroft in Canterbury Cathedral.

The majority of such titles of Our Lady do not refer to apparitions, just popular devotions typically based on a well loved statue or icon, which may well be popularly associated with experiences of God's grace and protection.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016