homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Can Extraordinary Ministers of HC give blessings?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Can Extraordinary Ministers of HC give blessings?
Lincoln Imp
Apprentice
# 17123

- Posted      Profile for Lincoln Imp   Email Lincoln Imp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I apologise if this topic has been discussed before, but it seems to have disappeared into oblivion.

In the interest of ecumenism I have been attending an RCIA course for a while, and also go to Mass occasionally at the RC church. I have found it embarrassing to have to change the queue in order to receive a blessing from the priest, as I am obviously not allowed to receive communion. However, I have in the past changed sides because I wasn't sure whether the lay ministers would know what to do if I presented myself before them with arms crossed. My catechist assured me they would, so today I joined the non-priestly queue. I was confused that the extraordinary minister replaced the host in the ciborium, put her hand on my head and gave me a blessing in the same manner a priest usually does.

I was taught by an Anglican transitional deacon whom I queried on the subject that it is Christ who gives the blessing rather than the person, and therefore the host in the hand of a person who is not a priest.

Was today's experience common practice in the RC church? For surely the argument of women not "being able" to give blessings, absolution and be priests has been seriously undermined by this action. Did the lay minister just make a mistake, having not been instructed properly?

None of my (RC) manuals for EMHC shed any light on the topic.

--------------------
There lives more faith in honest doubt, believe me, than in half the creeds. (Tennyson)

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'lay' minister of the eucharist is distributing the Host or the Precious Blood.
He/she is not carrying out the priestly role of celebrating the Eucharist.

If they can ,in a sense, bless the communicants by imparting to them the Body of Christ ,they can also bless by word or action, those who for one reason or another, cannot receive sacramentally.

Each one of us,pope, bishop, priest or lay person can wish for God's blessing upon a fellow Christian or fellow human being.

I don't know what official instructions are being followed ,but it is extremely common for extraordinary ministers of the eucharist in RC churches to give a blessing to non=communicants who desire it.

Personally,for what it is worth,I think that those who are not going to Communion should not go forward.In the 'olden' days when often few people would go forward to Communion,nobody would go for a blessing,as a blessing is given at the end of Mass. Now,with most Mass attenders going to Communion, others want to go forward. It is good I think, for young children who have not yet made their First Communion to go forward , but as an adult I wouldn't do it myself.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Precise rules on what EMHCs, deacons, and priests should do in this circumstance vary by diocese. What you experienced is in no way unusual. There are some who thinks it blurs sacramental boundaries. I would not be one of them.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What you saw, while not unknown, is a liturgical abuse. Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, being laymen, cannot confer blessings. Here is but one example of the Holy See stating such.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is quite (well sort of just about) interesting because the CofE position is completely different.

In the CofE just as only a priest can absolve, only a priest can bless. Anyone else, including a deacon, can only ask God to bless. So the grammar has to be altered accordingly.

I've long understood that there is an exception that parents can bless their children, but I don't know what the authority is for that.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The C of E position is not completely different from the RCC. What the extraordinary minister did was an abuse, as indicated above.

As for parents blessing their children, that is not the same as a priestly blessing. It is a type of constitutive blessing. See this about invocative blessings, which are true blessings by the ordained, as opposed to constitutive blessings, which are prayers by laymen.

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I refuse to believe that one Christian cannot ask for God's blessing upon another.

I tend to think that the pope is a good Catholic and yet he was happy to receive the blessing from the hands of the Archbishop of Canterbury, whom some Catholics like to think of as an ecclesiastical layman.

in the modern Roman rite laypeople have episcopal permission, for good reason, to distribute Communion.
In the modern Roman rite lay people, as well as clerics are encouraged to make some sort of sign of peace to their fellow worshippers.

Is there a material difference in putting one's hand on another person's head in the name of the Lord or offering one's hand in the name of the Lord ?

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
I refuse to believe that one Christian cannot ask for God's blessing upon another.

I tend to think that the pope is a good Catholic and yet he was happy to receive the blessing from the hands of the Archbishop of Canterbury, whom some Catholics like to think of as an ecclesiastical layman.

in the modern Roman rite laypeople have episcopal permission, for good reason, to distribute Communion.
In the modern Roman rite lay people, as well as clerics are encouraged to make some sort of sign of peace to their fellow worshippers.

Is there a material difference in putting one's hand on another person's head in the name of the Lord or offering one's hand in the name of the Lord ?

Read the above. You are drawing unwarranted conclusions.
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

quote:

I don't recall anyone saying that they could not.

quote:

Neither of these was what the OP was asking. Apples and oranges.
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my current diocese, the following is proper law:

quote:

43. Ultimately, there is no official provision in the Communion Rite for a blessing or
recognition of any kind to those who come forward but are not receiving Holy Communion.
This is not envisioned as the most appropriate time for blessings, particularly since everyone will
already be receiving the final blessing at the conclusion of Mass. As such, those who do not plan
to receive Holy Communion should not publicly be encouraged to come forward for a blessing.
Individuals should also not feel pressured or obligated to come forward if they will not be
receiving the Eucharist.
Of course, parents will often come forward with their little children, who have not yet received
their First Holy Communion. These children may be blessed by the priest or recognized with a
simple, prayerful greeting by a deacon or extraordinary minister of Holy Communion, as
mentioned above (no. 41).
Exceptions are also allowed for certain special occasions (e.g., weddings and funerals) in which
the assembly may include a large number of non-Catholics or even Catholics who are unable to
receive Holy Communion. In these situations, it is permitted to extend an invitation for those not
receiving Communion to join in prayer during that time, and even to come forward if they so
desire. An announcement for such circumstances is appropriate30, and might be worded in this
manner:
“During this time, as Catholics who are properly disposed come forward to receive Holy
Communion, we invite others who are here present to join us in silent prayer. If you would
like to come forward in the Communion line to receive words of blessing, please come
forward with your arms crossed over your chest. Though we are not yet united in
Eucharistic communion, we continue to pray for unity with the Lord Jesus and with one
another.”

(Note that law, even a local one, trumps interpretation, even one issued by the Vatican, as in the letter Ceremoniar posted).

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

Apples and oranges are both fruits

A word of blessing by a lay Christian and a liturgical priestly blessing by an ordained minister of the Church
are ultimately both 'blessings.

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

I am glad that ceremoniar agrees with me that any Christian can ask for God's blessing on another person.

In the Extraordinary form of the Roman rite no lay person would distribute Communion.
In many Ordinary form parishes today it is a practical necessity.

In my parish there is one priest and one Mass in the main parish church. Between 350 and 400 people attend regularly. If most of these people go to Communion and avail themselves of the right to drink from the Chalice then Extraordinary ministers are really needed.

Yes, there are few non-Catholics present, but there is a significant number who have come regularly for years. Most of those I am thinking of , accompany their spouse to Mass and appreciate very much the possibility to join with others in coming forward, even although they cannot receive sacramentally. The directive in our parish is for the Extraordinary minister to place a hand on the head of the non-communicant as a sign of blessing.

Whilst I personally would not go forward, were I not going to Communion, I understand why some people do.

The OPer's question was 'Can Extraordinary Ministers of HC give blessings ?' Undoubtedly they can, but it is not a priestly blessing.

Furthermore even the priestly blessing is given in the subjunctive mood,expressing a wish that God,not the priest, should bless the people. Anyone else can express that same wish,even when not speaking formally in the name of the Church.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adam is correct - the RCC regards the blessing given to all at the end of mass as sufficient with the exception of pastoral services like funeral masses.

As an Anglican, I preface a 'blessing' with 'May....'

Also, having a host in my fingers for the next communicant, I feel as if it is the real presence that blesses, not me.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Adam is correct - the RCC regards the blessing given to all at the end of mass as sufficient with the exception of pastoral services like funeral masses.

As an Anglican, I preface a 'blessing' with 'May....'

Also, having a host in my fingers for the next communicant, I feel as if it is the real presence that blesses, not me.

Yep, that's what I do too.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I've ever come across anyone saying "I bless you". It's always been a variation of "May God bless you", "may the Lord bless" etc - although often with the 'may' implicit rather than explicit.

Are there traditions where it would be normal for someone to bless someone rather than ask God to do the blessing?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

Whether you preface the blessing with 'may' or not ,it is virtually the same thing.
'God bless you' uses the subjunctive mood,with the third person singular of the subjunctive
'May God bless you' uses the third person singular of the modal verb 'may' along with the infinitive of the verb 'bless'.
However both forms mean the same.
'God blesses you' would be a statement of fact rather than the expression of a wish.

Lincoln Imp
Apprentice
# 17123

- Posted      Profile for Lincoln Imp   Email Lincoln Imp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many thanks for all the instructive replies, particularly for backing them up with documentation. The delegated authority/ power of the bishops amazes me, and reminds me of my childhood parish where e.g. girl altar servers were welcome in the 70s, and another location where they still aren't. On the other hand while the chalice is even now not made available to the laity in my childhood diocese, it is where I am currently based, and it is not a matter of numbers but geography & tradition.

The reason I started to present myself was the express invitation by two nuns (there are two Convents in the parish) who had noticed me remaining in my pew, "to go up to receive a blessing from the priest". For me receiving the blessing from a lay person in the exact same way (words, grammar, gesture etc.) in the context of a Mass as from a priest does not sit comfortably. I am with Leo and Spike on that. I have noticed only two people, both unaccompanied and thumbing through the 2015 CTS Sunday Missal, remain seated at the well-attended early Mass. I have been told by many people that even though they cannot receive (divorced, not having been to confession for years et al) they come forward for a blessing - some because they feel that being ogled by others they would be judged and "outed" as bad Catholics. There are two new priest, so it will be interesting how things develop.

As to receiving, or indeed asking for, a blessing from another Christian, that is an entirely different matter. Where I grew up the daily greeting of religious and non-religious alike (or believers and non-believers to pre-empt any semantic quibbles) was "(may) God bless you" which is how I still sign off my hand-written letters.

--------------------
There lives more faith in honest doubt, believe me, than in half the creeds. (Tennyson)

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whether you preface the blessing with 'may' or not ,it is virtually the same thing.

Maybe - but the Anglican rubrics insist that deacolns and LLMs preface absolutions and blesings with 'May'.

While I think of it, the RCC encourages fathers (mothers?) to bless their children.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

'may' is a modal auxiliary verb always used in conjunction with another verb.

depending on exactly how it is used it could indicate :

1.God is allowed to bless you

2. God might bless you, but he might not

3. as used here in 'May God bless you' it expresses a wish or a desire or a pious hope
In this instance 'may' + infinitive replaces the subjunctive which is little used in English.

It is of course good that Anglican clerics of whatever grade of service follow Anglican rubrics.

I agree that it is good to differentiate liturgically the different 'blessings' given by different people with different roles in the Church.

As you probably know,' blessing' really indicates a sprinkling with blood, which doesn't normally happen, even with Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
'may' is a modal auxiliary verb always used in conjunction with another verb.

I am not really concerned about the finer points of grammar - I am more concerned with what the words convey in the context of the mass.

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

A touch on the head of a non-communicant seeking a blessing, with or without words and with or without the use of 'may' conveys within the context of the Mass that the Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist thanks the non=communicant for coming forward. Furthermore that the Extraordinary minister understands that something is preventing the person from receiving Communion sacramentally and that the Extraordinary minister wishes that person well on their spiritual journey.

No more and no less than that.

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's perfectly licit, for the reasons Forthview gives.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw:
It's perfectly licit, for the reasons Forthview gives.

No, it is not licit, as noted in the fourth post, which includes statement from the Holy See see.
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

In the 'olden ' days those who could not for some reason communicate sacramentally were encouraged to make a 'spiritual' communion, asking Jesus to come into their heart.

Jesus is present in the assembly gathered for Mass. He is present in His Word and He is present in the bread which has been broken and blessed.
It is right for Catholics to recognise Jesus fully present ion the Blessed Sacrament, but right also to recognise His presence in other ways.
That could include a friendly gesture.

All Catholics in communion with the pope have to recognise the role of Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist, whether they avail themselves of them or not.

The moment of Sacramental communion for any Catholic is a moment of great intimacy. For those who cannot communicate a moment of intimacy with a priest or a minister COMMISSIONED BY THE BISHOP can also be a moment of grace. A local priest here asks ministers to say 'Continue to live in God's love' to a person who presents themselves for a 'blessing'. It is not the same as the liturgical blessing given by the priest to the whole assembly at the end of Mass.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016