homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Confirmation Course (Church of England)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Confirmation Course (Church of England)
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Rector and I were talking the other day about our need (apparently urgent) for new material for confirmation courses - both for adults and young people.

A quick google reveals several possibilities but a marked lack of information and/or reviews.

Are any UK shipmates (or others, of course!) willing to share their experiences?

I should add that we are pretty much a 'middle-of-the-road' parish, with slight leanings to the higher end of the candle.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've successfully used This Is Our Faith: A Popular Presentation of Church Teaching by Jeffrey John with young adults.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Faith Confirmed suited both youngsters and adults in confirmation classes at a motr church I am familiar with.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The priest and SS people at our shack have tried various confirmation courses for children and found them all wanting, so we've devised our own, based on a wonderful little book produced for the Woodard Schools in the mid 20th century called To be a pilgrim. We also suggest that for children confirmands the parents should attend a couple of special sessions so they are up-to-speed with what their child is being taught, etc.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks guys - 'Faith Confirmed' was one of the possibilities I'd found, so that's useful.

'This is our faith...' seems to be long out of print (according to Amazon) which is a pity as I might have looked seriously at something written by Jeffery John.

Anything from anyone else?

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
We've successfully used This Is Our Faith: A Popular Presentation of Church Teaching by Jeffrey John with young adults.

It may be "popular" but is it "true?"
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

[Confused]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
donning Hostly biretta

Exclamation Mark ... an innuendo-laden comment or rhetorical question is not conducive to happy explorations of the finer points of gin or anything else ecclesiantical ... amazingly Spike has merely hinted that this is sub par.

Expand into a constructive question or I will bring out my flaming handbag ...

doffing Hostly biretta

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were used This is our Faith too, but from Church House Publishing, but it looks to be out of print there too. We gave it to adults and young people getting baptised too.

I'm out of touch for what is being used too.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've recently read Great is the Mystery of Faith by Paul Ferguson, and think it would not be difficult to adapt for confirmation prep. It might draw interest from a wider group of participants than just those preparing for confirmation, which is always good.
The pilgrim course was initially promoted for confirmation prep- but it looks to me as if you'd need to adapt bits from half a dozen books.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
donning Hostly biretta

Exclamation Mark ... an innuendo-laden comment or rhetorical question is not conducive to happy explorations of the finer points of gin or anything else ecclesiantical ... amazingly Spike has merely hinted that this is sub par.

Expand into a constructive question or I will bring out my flaming handbag ...

doffing Hostly biretta

Apologies. Please delete the offending quote
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I ask why this thread is seen as Ecclesiantical?

It seems to me that asking what is a good confirmation course is muck akin to asking what is a good introductory course to Christianity and the discussions of Alpha and such are definitely Purgatorial.

If you wish to argue it comes down to the rite of confirmation may I in turn reply that as a rite of passage into a worshipping community that the Holy Spirit weekend with its baptising in the Holy Spirit would function as a similar rite from the anthropological perspective at least in Pentecostal settings. Equally the evangelical "conversion" experience can be understood as such a rite.

As this is totally about the course preparing for initiation and not about the practice ceremony of initiation itself, it would seem to me to belong to Purgatory.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

'Popular' because it was in magazine format with lots of photos.

'True' - well jeffrey is very orthodox.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
If you wish to argue it comes down to the rite of confirmation may I in turn reply that as a rite of passage into a worshipping community that the Holy Spirit weekend with its baptising in the Holy Spirit would function as a similar rite from the anthropological perspective at least in Pentecostal settings. Equally the evangelical "conversion" experience can be understood as such a rite.

Not sure about the Evangelical conversion unless the community requires a public testimony; but Believers' Baptism (and the preparation thereof) certainly fit the bill too).

[ 11. November 2015, 16:59: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apologies. Please delete the offending quote

Hosting
Absolutely accepted. Grace prevails. Carry on.
/Hosting

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
May I ask why this thread is seen as Ecclesiantical?

It seems to me that asking what is a good confirmation course is muck akin to asking what is a good introductory course to Christianity and the discussions of Alpha and such are definitely Purgatorial.

As this is totally about the course preparing for initiation and not about the practice ceremony of initiation itself, it would seem to me to belong to Purgatory.

Jengie

Hosting somewhat more frequently than normal

This stuff belongs in the Styx ... best take it there if you really want an answer

/Hosting

--------------------

Morgan
Shipmate
# 15372

- Posted      Profile for Morgan   Email Morgan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have successfully used Making Disciples It is quite a few years old and looking a bit formal and old-fashioned but is ecumenical and well suited to modification to suit your own requirements, whether of content or age groups.

Its greatest strength is the structure which involves pairing each person preparing for confirmation with a mentor for 3 months. They explore a different topic each week with opportunities for shared experiences, praying together and for one another, creative responses etc. All this is within the context of your church leadership guidance and oversight. There is no need to cover everything but there is enough there to make choices and to make additions in response to local requirements.

One welcome by-roduct we found was the great relationships built with the mature Christian mentors in our congregation.

Posts: 111 | From: Canberra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
The priest and SS people at our shack have tried various confirmation courses for children and found them all wanting, so we've devised our own, based on a wonderful little book produced for the Woodard Schools in the mid 20th century called To be a pilgrim. We also suggest that for children confirmands the parents should attend a couple of special sessions so they are up-to-speed with what their child is being taught, etc.

Thanks to your post, I just got a copy of 'To Be A Pilgrim' and am enjoying it. It's a really well-produced little book--very pleasing.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

Just to say thanks to all - have now got a copy of Faith Confirmed, which looks pretty good to me.

We'll see what the Rector has to say about it...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016