homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Paris attacks - Mass at Notre Dame

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Paris attacks - Mass at Notre Dame
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Held earlier this evening at Notre Dame de Paris - simple, moving, and beautifully 'done'. Go to YouTube and enter 'Notre Dame de Paris Messe de 15 Novembre'.

The service proper begins at about 20 minutes in - note that the south column of the chancel arch is lit up in red, white, and blue (and is duly censed by Cardinal Vingt-Trois.......)!

Superb music - if anyone watching recognises the Mass setting, do tell. Under the circumstances, I would expect it to be by a French composer.

Vive la France! Vive la Republique!

I.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not Mass at Notre Dame, but a service was held down here in Sydney attended by the French Ambasador. It was held in St Andrews Anglican Cathedral and was called a service of sorrow and prayer for Paris.

It was well attended with State Governor, the Ambassador, senior police and other notables and by the general public.

[ 15. November 2015, 20:31: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched too the mass from the Notre Dame,and I have to confess that I was deeply moved by the liturgy and the lovely music, and particularly the De Profundis,psalm 130.
The music,exceedingly well carried out,was plainsong.It was very interesting to notice that the organ improvisation during the offertory,was based on the French National Anthem, Allons enfants de la Patrie.
I do hope that this mass,has given some comfort to the people who have lost children, family members and friends.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooer..... [Eek!]

I don't seem to be able to find that link via YouTube (perhaps IS has taken control of the internet [Help] ), so if anyone else can link to the service, please do....!

I hadn't spotted the musical reference to La Marseillaise - not exactly the most pacific of national anthems.... [Devil]

I.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Blessings, FCB! That was indeed the KTO recording I referred to......

Was the organist M. Latry, I wonder?

I.

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Superb music - if anyone watching recognises the Mass setting, do tell. Under the circumstances, I would expect it to be by a French composer.

Vive la France! Vive la Republique!

I.

Kyrie & Agnus Dei are from Maurice Duruflé's Requiem. Didn't recognize the other items. Did you notice some of the congo waving le tricoluer at the climax of the offertory improvisation?!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
note that the south column of the chancel arch is lit up in red, white, and blue (and is duly censed by Cardinal Vingt-Trois.......)!

I suspect he was censing the image of Notre Dame de Paris rather than the column

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Literally awesome – and totally foreign country for this suburban Presbyterian.
Wish I wasn't making crab apple jelly (it had to be done) as I'd have liked to try and follow the Cardinal Archbishop's homily.
Yes, I spotted the waving tricouleurs. Interested to see the familiar passing of the peace – with the odd double kiss.
As for the assembled clergy – I guessed that the gentleman in gold-embroidered red and onion-dome hat was Orthodox, but further back was one in a gold-ish garment (sorry!) with a diagonal sash, and he or another had a black pill-boxy hat – can anyone identify who they might represent?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All I know about the Mass was what I saw on the BBC News.

But it did strike me as strange that France - a country which has often prided itself on its secularism - should choose to remember this atrocity with a religious service. Did anyone else have that feeling?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only saw the bit on BBC news (the end of the Kyrie leading into the Gloria). I assumed it was a Requiem because of the purple vestments and the Durufle kyrie but then they intoned the gloria... can anyone shed light on what liturgy was actually being offered?

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
As for the assembled clergy – I guessed that the gentleman in gold-embroidered red and onion-dome hat was Orthodox, but further back was one in a gold-ish garment (sorry!) with a diagonal sash, and he or another had a black pill-boxy hat – can anyone identify who they might represent?

They are a bishop and deacon, respectively. I suspect that they're Catholic, belonging to the Byzantine tradition.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
All I know about the Mass was what I saw on the BBC News.

But it did strike me as strange that France - a country which has often prided itself on its secularism - should choose to remember this atrocity with a religious service. Did anyone else have that feeling?

I think that widespread secularism is still a fairly new phenomenon in Western Europe. My view is that it hasn't been around long enough yet to have established ways of meeting the needs that faith has. In this void, people turn to what they know.

I dislike many of the facets of tribal religion but I cannot help but confess that it does meet a need when communal or national expression of grief, celebration, &c is required.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mass is celebrated every Sunday at 18.30,usually by the Cardinal Archbishop, and broadcast on KTO.
The Mass was that of the day,with the gospel of the day,but celebrated in purple vestments.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I guess Triple Tiara is right about the Cardinal censing the image of ND de P, but it did look (from a distance) as though he were censing the column!

The OT Reading and the Epistle were the same as we had at Our Place yesterday, but I think the Gospel (we had Mark 13 1-8, as per the C of E Lectionary) was Mark 13 24-27 or thereabouts.

I.

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much for posting this service. Despite struggling with school French from some years ago, I was still able to follow the service and understand a good deal of what the cardinal said. I found the whole service deeply moving and was stunned by the organ voluntary based on the Marseillaise.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
I guess Triple Tiara is right about the Cardinal censing the image of ND de P...

I suspect so. The local custom seems to be to show reverence to the image. At the end, the clergy also gather to face her for the Salve.

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I noticed they seemed to face east for the Kyrie.....

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The famous statue, or at least well known statue of Notre Dame de Paris is a the foot of the column in the direction of which the cardinal offered incense. At the end of the Mass the celebrant will intone the Salve Regina or other Marian antiphon of the season.

I didn't hear the Gospel but the cardinal in his sermon made frequent reference to the Gospel of the Day :Mark 13,24-32.

The Mass of the 33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time was celebrated, but adapted for the circumstance and the Great Bell of the cathedral was tolled before the beginning of the Mass.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
I noticed they seemed to face east for the Kyrie.....

Quite apart from the serious nature of how we present ourselves before God while dealing with these issues, might I also add how good it is to see you again Stephen. Many years.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016