homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Books on 12th century spirituality?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Books on 12th century spirituality?
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

Sorry if this posted in the wrong place but I wondered if anyone might have any recommendations for books on 12th century Christian spirituality, please? I'm looking for general, introductory texts.

Many thanks.

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you looking for stuff about Cistercian monasticism, Aelred, Cluny, things like that?

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, that sort of thing please [Smile]

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There might be something more general out there, but a decent next step would be to pick some authors you're interested and find what they have from them in the classics of western spirituality series. These volumes often come with good introductions and bibliographies.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not exactly spirituality but I just read a cracking biography of Thomas Becket by John Guy

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
rr--

You might try:

--the Christian section of the Internet Sacred Texts Archive, and the off-site links at the bottom of the page.

--this search. And, in a lovely incident of recursion, it includes the OP of this thread!
[Snigger]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would suggest vol. 2 of Bernard McGinn's multi-volume history of mysticim: The Growth of Mysticism: Gregory the Great through the Twelfth Century. About 2/3 of it deals with the 12th century.

[ 03. March 2016, 13:46: Message edited by: FCB ]

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although we don't tend to regard the crusades these days as a manifestation of spirituality, contemporaries did. The C12 saw a lot of crusading. So you'll need to evaluate that.

Also, Barlaam and the controversy about it is not until the C14, but hesychasm had been uncontroversially followed for several centuries before that.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

- Posted      Profile for A Feminine Force   Author's homepage   Email A Feminine Force   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In that period, I'm partial to the writings of St Hildegard of Bingen.

AFF

--------------------
C2C - The Cure for What Ails Ya?

Posts: 2115 | From: Kingdom of Heaven | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On my phone so hard to post links, but Cistercian Publications has a very good selection of books from that era. When I get home will give you some links to their website.

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

Thanks very much, everyone.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016