homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Nancy Reagan funeral service

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Nancy Reagan funeral service
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Available here.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Um .... discuss!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well there's Hillary's bizarre affirmation of her "advocacy" for AIDs. Appreciate that she rolled it back later, and appreciate it's a funeral so you want to say something nice, but what the heck [Confused] Why would you bring up something so patently false-- thereby causing a whole slew of discussions about how BAD the Reagan policies were and how it lead to so many deaths??? Why even mention it??? Couldn't you find something else nice to say about her? Her sense of style-- her oatmeal raisin cookies didn't suck-- something???

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's exactly what I said, cliffdweller. The only way to give a speech honoring either one of the Reagans is to avoid the topic of AIDS altogether.

The one good thing about Hilary's gaffe is that it drove someone to unearth that godawful footage of Reagan's press secretary openly ridiculing victims of "the gay plague." I say this because a few message board discussions I have had elsewhere left me with the impression that younger generation Republicans have been fed some revisionist narrative that Reagan wasn't as slow to act on AIDS as liberals claim he was. And good heavens, it had nothing to do with bigotry!

This is probably a good thing, but many young people can't seem get their mind around how ugly people were about AIDS. (I base this on conversations I had with younger students at the Liberal Arts university I attended, as an older "returning"student.)

[ 12. March 2016, 17:26: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, but why does anyone care about Nancy Reagan's funeral?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Using the same logic demonstrated on this thread, it's a shame that the driving habits of Ms. Kopechne's chauffer weren't discussed when that SOB kicked the bucket.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Oh, good Lord! I was hoping people would comment on the ceremony, how the priest was vested, the readings, the prayers, the music, the eulogies, the sermon, etc.

Regardless of what we may personally feel about Mrs. Reagan or her husband, or her husband's presidency (personally I don't see what people gush on about), I didn't start the thread so that people could opine about their deeds or misdeeds.

I'm sorry I started it, really. Perhaps a kindly host will close it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why was the priest from Washington National Cathedral when the service was in California? Is that a normal thing?

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

Oh, good Lord! I was hoping people would comment on the ceremony, how the priest was vested, the readings, the prayers, the music, the eulogies, the sermon, etc.

As in is this a tat queen fest regardless of the opressive and highly dangerous politics?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Is this a tat queen fest regardless of the opressive and highly dangerous politics?

Yes, dear, that's exactly what it is. De mortuis nil nisi bonum.* The funeral commends her soul to God. God, not we, will judge her soul and that of her husband. If you want to discuss the oppressive and highly dangerous politics, do so over after-service coffee.

* About the dead [speak] nothing but good.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Bibaculus:
Why was the priest from Washington National Cathedral when the service was in California? Is that a normal thing?

The only explanation I can find is here:
quote:
As the presiding minister at Mrs. Reagan’s funeral, Father Kenworthy brings a National Cathedral tie to the Reagans. President Reagan’s state funeral in 2004 was at the cathedral, after a family service at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif.
It is certainly not uncommon for a priest who is a friend of the family to be invited to conduct the funeral. When my father dies, I will invite the priest who was his pastor back in the day, and who is now serving in retirement as a college chaplain, to officiate. Provided my father doesn't outlive us all, that is, and at the rate he is going . . . .

I don't know if Father Kenworthy was a friend of the Reagans.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Or indeed, of that of the Spencer woman taken in adultery.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought it was bizarre that an Episcopal priest officiated at the funeral. Firstly, it is well known that the Reagans were Presbyterian, not Episcopalian. The reason why President Reagan had an Episcopal funeral is that for some bizarre reason Protestant presidents must have their memorial service at Washington National Cathedral.

As well, TEC these days is frankly not known for its support of Republican politics, especially not the Church in the Northeast. TEC might historically have been considered the GOP in prayer, but that was a long, long time ago, when the GOP had a noticeable liberal wing in the northeast.

Regarding the ceremony, I only caught glimpses of it, such as Diane Sawyer reading the Gospel, which I noticed to my dismay, she first gave a short personal story before reading the lesson. A big No-No in my books, if you are asked to read the lesson, you read the Lesson, you do not give a commentary and you certainly do not give an anedotal story. I also am not a fan of multiple euologies at a funeral service because it turns the liturgy into a celebration fest about the deceased and not primarily a worship service of almighty God.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post 
The choice of an Episcopal priest does seem odd since Nancy and her husband made utter fools of themselves in an Episcopal church.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

Or indeed, of that of the Spencer woman taken in adultery.
[Big Grin]
Thank you all for confirming that the priest was indeed Episcopal. Everything he was doing was Episcopal, but my Mom was all up in arms that is was a non denominational service. I pretty much told her his stole said different.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
The choice of an Episcopal priest does seem odd since Nancy and her husband made utter fools of themselves in an Episcopal church.

I was thinking the same thing when I noticed that the celebrant was an Episcopal priest.
[Killing me]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does the national Cathedral function as a, well, national cathedral, then? That would make sense. I guess maybe it is a sort of American Westminster Abbey?

I thought the funeral contained too much eulogising. At funerals we are there to pray for the person who has dies, not talk about them. That seems to be what this thread is for, despite the OP's desires.

--------------------

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Does the national Cathedral function as a, well, national cathedral, then? That would make sense. I guess maybe it is a sort of American Westminster Abbey?

That was the idea. The cathedral was founded (and chartered by Congress) to be the national house of prayer and the venue for services with a national scope, including State funerals.

quote:
I thought the funeral contained too much eulogising. At funerals we are there to pray for the person who has dies . . . .
Well, not if they're Presbyterian. [Devil]

Of course, if they're Presbyterian, the funeral shouldn't be about eulogies either. But then the Reagans always did seem a bit fluid in their religious affiliations.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

That was the idea. The cathedral was founded (and chartered by Congress) to be the national house of prayer and the venue for services with a national scope, including State funerals.

That's interesting. I guess the separation of church and state isn't as absolute as one may expect it to be. Does TEC function as a de facto national church?

There is a poem by the incomparable Ogden Nash (which is on the old internet here ) 'The Seven Spiritual Ages of Mrs. Marmaduke Moore' in which the heroine marks here advance in Society by swapping her youthful Methodism for Episcopalianism.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:

While no fan of the Reagans, I would point out that our recent Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, also faux-pas-ed at our late Governor General Roméo LeBlanc's funeral mass, pocketing the Host in the belief that, à la Holiness Churches, all communicants were to consume the bread simultaneously (one can wonder why on earth the Archbishop of Moncton himself communicated a man well known to be an evangelical Protestant, but that's another thread).

Folk raised in liturgical churches (for want of a better term) often have little idea of how foreign our practices are to others, even to those of other Christian traditions. While the Reagans did not handle themselves particularly well in the anecdote Mr Deaver gives us, they likely can legitimately claim that they knew no better.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Too right. The first time I ever encountered a common cup was in my teens at a UCCan congregation I didn't like. It was Wee Cuppies all the way for me.

And I would point out that it is liturgy, just liturgy of a different sort, to partake at the same time instead of using the same vessel.

Mr. Harper's actions were clearly meant without disrespect and were caused by an ill-prepared and absent-minded priest. As I am reminded every day in my job, never assume malice when ignorance and laziness will suffice as an explanation.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bibaculus wrote:

quote:
That's interesting. I guess the separation of church and state isn't as absolute as one may expect it to be.
Well, is the cathederal run with government funds? If not, then it probably doesn't make much of a difference to non-establishment, except on paper.

You could repeal the congressional charter, but that wouldn't stop the cathederal from existing, nor stop anyone who wanted to from holidng a famous person's memorial there.

[ 13. March 2016, 16:23: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Well, is the cathederal run with government funds? If not, then it probably doesn't make much of a difference to non-establishment, except on paper.

No, it is not. The corporation was simply chartered by Congress.

quote:
That's interesting. I guess the separation of church and state isn't as absolute as one may expect it to be. Does TEC function as a de facto national church?

No. But as Nash's Mrs. Marmaduke Moore realized, historically the Episcopal Church (and to a slightly lesser degree, the Presbyterian Church) have had a political presence (as in members of Congress or occupants of the White House or many Governor's Mansions) and social presence far out of proportion to their presence in the population generally. That has changed to a large extent, but reminders of that historical fact can still be seen.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But as Nash's Mrs. Marmaduke Moore realized, historically the Episcopal Church (and to a slightly lesser degree, the Presbyterian Church) have had a political presence (as in members of Congress or occupants of the White House or many Governor's Mansions) and social presence far out of proportion to their presence in the population generally. That has changed to a large extent, but reminders of that historical fact can still be seen.

I remember when The Power of Their Glory came out -- it pointed out the large number of Episcopalians in positions of power. A lot has changed since 1978 when it was published. We now have no Episcopalians on the Supreme Court (all Roman Catholic or Jewish), the last Episcopal President was George H.W.Bush, I don't think any of the current candidates are, and I doubt that there are large numbers of Episcopalians in Congress.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

Regardless of what we may personally feel about Mrs. Reagan or her husband, or her husband's presidency (personally I don't see what people gush on about), I didn't start the thread so that people could opine about their deeds or misdeeds.

I'm sorry I started it, really. Perhaps a kindly host will close it.

I appreciate the thread didn't turn out the way you anticipated, but that happens on the Ship. And honestly, the most noteworthy thing about the ceremony was in fact, Hillary's unfortunate remarks. You can't open a thread on such an event and expect us not to comment on the elephant in the room. Again, it might have been better had Hillary found something else she could reasonably commend Mrs. Reagan for, but once the gaffe was made, you can't really expect folks not to notice.
(Cynics/ conspiracy theorists might even ponder if the gaffe was intentional-- as it certainly did spotlight Reagan's miserable record on AIDs without actually having to attack the man at his widow's funeral. Quite clever if that was the case.)

quote:

quote:
I thought the funeral contained too much eulogising. At funerals we are there to pray for the person who has dies . . . .

Of course, if they're Presbyterian, the funeral shouldn't be about eulogies either. But then the Reagans always did seem a bit fluid in their religious affiliations.

We Presbyterians do in fact have eulogies-- but yes, no praying for the person who died, only for the grieving family & friends.

And yes, the Reagans were famously "fluid" in their religious adherence. The pastor of Bel Air Presbyterian where they maintained their membership once remarked (in answer to a question): "Yes, the Reagans are quite regular in their attendance. They attend every election year."

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Also, a well- crafted OP, may have given us an idea of what specifically about the service one wanted to discuss.)

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Given how active the thread is, I'm not inclined to close it. Maybe a starting point could be:

How should a First Lady (or, indeed, First Husband should one ever emerge) be commemorated?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

quote:

We Presbyterians do in fact have eulogies-- but yes, no praying for the person who died, only for the grieving family & friends.
Well, two things:

I didn't say Presbyterians don't have eulogies. I said that the funeral shouldn't be about eulogies, meaning they shouldn't appear to be "what we're there for." (I said this in response to Bibaculus's statement that "we're there" to pray for the deceased.)

That said, I'm aware that eulogies have taken hold among Presbyterians, though I think this may be more noticeable in some regions than in others. My youth was spent in the old "Southern church" (the old PCUS), where eulogies were not considered proper for a funeral. My adulthood has been in the PC(USA), but still in the American South, where that perspective largely carried over. It is really only in the last 10–15 years that I have seen eulogies pop up from time to time. A sermon or homily that mentions (but doesn't focus on) things that will be remembered about the deceased I am used to. Prayers that do likewise are certainly common. But true eulogies, not so much until relatively recently.

I know many Presbyterians—mainly ministers or older, lifelong Presbyterians—who really aren't comfortable with this development. (And I've assured my family that I will haunt them all if there's a eulogy at my funeral. [Two face] )

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

fair 'nuff.

--------------------

Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Given how active the thread is, I'm not inclined to close it. Maybe a starting point could be:

How should a First Lady (or, indeed, First Husband should one ever emerge) be commemorated?

Sir Denis Thatcher had a private funeral in the chapel at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea. His ashes, and those of Lady Thatcher, are interred there. He also had a memorial service at Westminster Abbey.

Maybe that would be appropriate for a First Lady - a private funeral, followed by a memorial service at the National Cathedral.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:

Sir Denis Thatcher had a private funeral in the chapel at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea. His ashes, and those of Lady Thatcher, are interred there. He also had a memorial service at Westminster Abbey.

Maybe that would be appropriate for a First Lady - a private funeral, followed by a memorial service at the National Cathedral.

Coming, as noted, from the Reformed tradition, I'm of the opinion that memorial services are for the living-- specifically for those closest to the deceased. It is a time for the community to come around them in love and support.

Given that people grieve very differently, I'm not inclined to be very rigid in terms of what memorial services look like, even for a public figure. Yes, if the person themselves is a significant political leader there needs to be some sort of public acknowledgment. But other than that, I think it's up to the next of kin. Big service or small, public or private, graveside or chapel, military or not-- I've officiated at all these, and each made sense at the time for the particular family members and the way they grieved. The only time it gets dicey is when you have disagreements among the family members about what the service should be like. Here's where it's nice if there's some sort of advance directive from the deceased, but that's pretty rare in my experience.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cliffdweller wrote:

quote:
I appreciate the thread didn't turn out the way you anticipated, but that happens on the Ship. And honestly, the most noteworthy thing about the ceremony was in fact, Hillary's unfortunate remarks. You can't open a thread on such an event and expect us not to comment on the elephant in the room. Again, it might have been better had Hillary found something else she could reasonably commend Mrs. Reagan for, but once the gaffe was made, you can't really expect folks not to notice.
(Cynics/ conspiracy theorists might even ponder if the gaffe was intentional-- as it certainly did spotlight Reagan's miserable record on AIDs without actually having to attack the man at his widow's funeral. Quite clever if that was the case.)

About the only public-policy thing she could have truthfully praised Mrs. R for is the War On Drugs, which I suspect is now a somewhat tarnished cause, even if no one is gonna come right out and say it. I read somewhere that both Trump and Clinton favour allowing the legalization of marijuana in various states to stand, to give just one example of how the conversation has shifted since the egg-in-the-pan era.

And that's an interesting conspiracy theory, and quite plauible within the boundaries of what gets done in politics. But I think it would be more likely if someone more directly associated with the Reagans was running for the GOP nomination.

[ 14. March 2016, 16:25: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can we please refrain from political comments in this thread? I believe that the moderator has implied as much, but apparently some have chosen to toss that aside. I myself would never even consider using the occasion of someone's passing--including political leaders whom I find to be repulsive--to make comments such as what I have read here. Even some who have asked questions because they are unfamiliar with the American civil and ecclesiastical scene have sometimes done so in a less-than-courteous fashion, e.g., asking about what they term "bizarre" features of the funeral and its clergy, instead of phrasing it in a way that indicates their lack of familiarity and therefore understanding.

We can do better here. [Ultra confused]

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Perhaps the thread should be moved to Purgatory. It doesn't seem to have drawn much interest in talking about the rudimentary aspects of the service-- there's not a whole lot to comment on there. Meanwhile, the elephant in the room really is Hillary's remarks which is understandably drawing the most interest.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Too right. The first time I ever encountered a common cup was in my teens at a UCCan congregation I didn't like. It was Wee Cuppies all the way for me.

And I would point out that it is liturgy, just liturgy of a different sort, to partake at the same time instead of using the same vessel.

Mr. Harper's actions were clearly meant without disrespect and were caused by an ill-prepared and absent-minded priest. As I am reminded every day in my job, never assume malice when ignorance and laziness will suffice as an explanation.

I am clearly guilty of that of which I complained! Yes, liturgy we're not used to is still liturgy.

Mr LeBlanc's son, the current Government House Leader, made a statement to the effect that the family was grateful for Mr Harper's presence, which they took as a sign of respect. Msgr Richard of Moncton retired three years later.

Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

I am clearly guilty of that of which I complained! Yes, liturgy we're not used to is still liturgy.

Mr LeBlanc's son, the current Government House Leader, made a statement to the effect that the family was grateful for Mr Harper's presence, which they took as a sign of respect. Msgr Richard of Moncton retired three years later.

Funerals and weddings are often the only time - apart from contrived services for Christian Unity Week - that many of us who would pride ourselves on our knowledge of liturgy actually encounter any liturgy other than that of our own tradition. Years back I went to the Armenian liturgy, and while I could recognise the basic elements of the Eucharist, it was so odd to me, and I didn't really know what to do, when to stand and sit, etc, that I probably made a right fool of myself.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Years back I went to the Armenian liturgy, and while I could recognise the basic elements of the Eucharist, it was so odd to me, and I didn't really know what to do, when to stand and sit, etc, that I probably made a right fool of myself.

While I've never been to an Armenian liturgy, my general experience of 'Eastern' Christian ritual is that there's less of a cultural expectation of everyone doing the same thing at the same time together (as compared with, at least my pocket of, our 'Western' tradition). So long as you're praying, they tend to be less fussed about how you're doing that. Liturgical unity and diversity are both embodied signs of our unity in diversity in Christ, and that balance can be expressed in different ways.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
While I've never been to an Armenian liturgy, my general experience of 'Eastern' Christian ritual is that there's less of a cultural expectation of everyone doing the same thing at the same time together (as compared with, at least my pocket of, our 'Western' tradition). So long as you're praying, they tend to be less fussed about how you're doing that. Liturgical unity and diversity are both embodied signs of our unity in diversity in Christ, and that balance can be expressed in different ways.

I know what you mean about Eastern liturgy. I have been to it quite a lot. people wander about lighting candles and venerating ikons. But this was not like that. It was at the Armenian Church in Kensington, which is tiny. Pictures here give some indication. It was packed with people, as it was the main Sunday liturgy. It was unlike anything I have ever known. At various points we were expected to interact with people around us, but quite how I didn't really know. And it ended with everyone standing up and singing what sounded like (and may have been) a National Anthem.

The only comparable experience (for lostness on my part) was when I attended the Hindu Temple in Neasden.

[fixed code -- ABR]

[ 15. March 2016, 14:28: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there any relationship between Mrs.Reagan's funeral service and the Armenian Liturgy ?
I do not think so and if there is any,please advise me.]
With regard to this funeral service,like many others I found it very odd that an Episcopal priest officiated whereas the departed lady was a Presbyterian.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by Utrecht Catholic:
Is there any relationship between Mrs.Reagan's funeral service and the Armenian Liturgy ?
With regard to this funeral service,like many others I found it very odd that an Episcopal priest officiated whereas the departed lady was a Presbyterian.

The digressive aspect of Ecclesiantics is legendary. TEC clergy have a peculiar role as taking care of religious stuff for Important People. They were the default non-RC non-working-class clergy until the 1960s & 1970s, as evinced by many films of the period ("Father of the Bride" and "The Bishop's Wife," among others).
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Complaining about tangets. In Eccles?!? [Help]

I mean, really, the sheer cheek of it.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

The digressive aspect of Ecclesiantics is legendary. TEC clergy have a peculiar role as taking care of religious stuff for Important People. They were the default non-RC non-working-class clergy until the 1960s & 1970s, as evinced by many films of the period ("Father of the Bride" and "The Bishop's Wife," among others).
The default vestments for a Protestant-but-denominationally-unspecified Christian wedding celebrant in any Hollywood production are still cassock, surplice, and stole.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Complaining about tangets. In Eccles?!? [Help]

I mean, really, the sheer cheek of it.

I didn't feel it was my place to comment on that but [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

quote:

The relationship is in the context in which it was introduced.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

I usually hang out in Purgatory, so I'm not sure of the expectations on this board. Is it typical for there to be such narrow parameters on where a discussion will go and such condemnation when it veers off?

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hosting

Please remember, Cliffweller, (and anyone else tempted to meander into junior hosting roles) that discussions of ship or board policy, while not discouraged because we mere mortals love intelligent guidance) belong in The Styx

/Hosting

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Hosting

Looks like I killed this. [Hot and Hormonal]

Meh. Lent is meant to be purgatorial.

Deader than a thing that's dead.

/Hosting

--------------------

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016