homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Holy Week begins (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Holy Week begins
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
No 'might be' about it. More fool them if that's the case: though there were no obvious empty places in church and one wonders about their sense of priorities.

Assuming we are all talking about the same college, and the one at which I am an ordinand...

Those opposed to the ordination of women generally attend all the liturgies in Holy Week with the rest of us. They also, along with any who wish to go with them, go to a local parish for some of the liturgies.

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I've noticed that Triduum Services at Episcopal Parishes is much, much lower than at RC parishes. The three days of the Triduum are not "Holy Days of Obligation" for RCs ...

Holy Mary Mother of John Lennon - I don't think Anglopalians have obligated anything liturgio-sacramental (except in some quarters the Real Absence™ ) since Henry got his willy in a droop.

Not true; the canons of most Anglican bodies required that church members attend divine service regularly, and that they communicate at least 3 times a year.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, the 1662 BCP requires that Easter be one of those three occasions, thus presumably making it the C of E's one and only Holyday of Obligation.

I.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BCP says exactly that:
quote:
that every Parishioner shall communicate at least three times in the year, of which Easter to be one
I attended the Parish Church at Whitby on Easter Sunday. This is the church by the ruins of the Abbey. A monthly Matins service is usually provided but for Easter there was a BCP Communion Service. The links with Whitby, Easter and the Abbey of St Hilda were all in my mind.

It was a careful service with a good sermon and they were all very welcoming, but in lots of ways it felt very sad as there were about 30 people clustered around the coal heater in the centre and a few more up in the gallery. The parish is interregnum, but according to the Parish Profile, 30 is the usual congregation.

(There are two other CofE churches in the town, the huge Victorian edifice of St Hilda's which was built to be a cathedral and has a regular congregation of around 50, which I failed to get to for the Easter Vigil because it was tipping it down with rain and I didn't fancy getting soaked or the trip down and up the 199 steps in slippery conditions, and St John's, another large Victorian church, which apparently has a regular congregation of around 30.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a shame, Curiosity Killed... A very interesting church and a perfect setting a BCP Holy Communion. I wonder if the church's position at the top of a very long flight of stairs up from the town might deter some of the older folk from making the trip?

Alos, do they still have the ear-trumpets that belonged to a former vicar's wife on display next to the [impressive double-decker] pulpit?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The BCP says exactly that:
quote:
that every Parishioner shall communicate at least three times in the year, of which Easter to be one

Somehow, I was under the impression that meant during the Easter season, not necessarily Easter Day. Did I dream that, or perhaps confuse the BCP requirement with Catholic discipline?

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
Somehow, I was under the impression that meant during the Easter season, not necessarily Easter Day. Did I dream that, or perhaps confuse the BCP requirement with Catholic discipline?

Yes. I'm under the impression one is allowed a week's lee-way either side of Easter, but don't know where that comes from.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't have thought that the original rule was meant to be particularly restrictive: 'around' Easter would cover it I should think. On the other hand, Communion services were few and far between in those days and if there was one on Easter Day (most likely) there wouldn't be another one for weeks.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told that receiving the Sacrament during Easter Week (e.g. at home or in hospital) fulfilled the obligation.

Reverting to Holy Week itself, I gather that our numbers were well down for virtually all the services, owing to holidays and long-term sickness. There were some welcome visitors on Easter Day itself, though!

I.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire: That's a shame, Curiosity Killed... A very interesting church and a perfect setting a BCP Holy Communion. I wonder if the church's position at the top of a very long flight of stairs up from the town might deter some of the older folk from making the trip?
I wondered that, but the small numbers quoted in the Parish Profile for the two churches in the town - opposite the RC church and facing across the river high above the town on the other side - didn't seem to suggest that. According to the Whitby Museum site, that church can seat over 2000 with all the additions to the original church.

quote:
Alos, do they still have the ear-trumpets that belonged to a former vicar's wife on display next to the [impressive double-decker] pulpit?
The triple decker pulpit was used for the service, churchwarden/clerk on bottom deck, minister on second except for preaching, but I didn't see the ear trumpets.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm slightly concerned if the service at Whitby Parish Church was just the 1662 BCP. From my memory of what the interior is like, should it not have been been Morning Prayer with the Athanasian Creed, the Litany, BCP Ante-communion in the Nave and then moving into the chancel for Holy Communion for those who had given in their names a week before to the incumbent? Also, I would hope that 'ye that have it in mind ... ' was read. I'm glad to read the pulpit was used correctly.

Did they use Sternhold and Hopkins like St Paul did, or are they innovators who have moved on to Tate and Brady?

[ 04. April 2016, 17:59: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Pretty much straight BCP Communion, straight through, no choir, mostly said. We were issued with the BCP with Hymns Ancient and Modern in one book, plus possibly a booklet for the service. I used the book.

(I also attended Choral Evensong on Monday night in the Quire at York Minster, which was pretty full - over 100 guessing, which purported to follow the BCP but departed from the book several times.)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016