homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Roman Office of Readings - Holy Saturday

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Roman Office of Readings - Holy Saturday
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually use the C of E Daily Prayer, but for some days, the Roman Divine Office seems more helpful.

For years I have been impressed by the second reading at the Office of Readings for Holy Saturday, describing the Harrowing of Hell. It is anonymous and is headed "A reading from an ancient homily for Holy Saturday".

Anyone know the source?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a link to the whole office.

The reading in question comes at the end after the biblical reading from Hebrews.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An amazing piece - not for the first time does the Roman Office nourish the parts that C of E Daily Prayer cannot reach.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful.
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is wonderful.

According to this, it's a fourth century Greek homily about which nothing more is known. I'm sure more is known, but not by me. The reference to PG, I think is to the Patres Graecae (Greek Fathers) collection, which may or may not have more information about the provenance and the relevant manuscript tradition(s) from which the translation has been prepared.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
For years I have been impressed by the second reading at the Office of Readings for Holy Saturday, describing the Harrowing of Hell. It is anonymous and is headed "A reading from an ancient homily for Holy Saturday".

Anyone know the source?

This Orthodox site attributes the text to St. Epiphanius, Bishop of Cyprus (403 A.D.).
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
It is wonderful.

According to this, it's a fourth century Greek homily about which nothing more is known. I'm sure more is known, but not by me. The reference to PG, I think is to the Patres Graecae (Greek Fathers) collection, which may or may not have more information about the provenance and the relevant manuscript tradition(s) from which the translation has been prepared.

It is wonderful indeed - and I too would like to know more about it. Maybe not until Heaven, alas!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
It is wonderful.

PG is for Patrologia Graeca, but otherwise right on. You can access the text in Greek and Latin here. It is under the name of Epiphanius of Cyprus there.
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
PG is for Patrologia Graeca, but otherwise right on. You can access the text in Greek and Latin here. It is under the name of Epiphanius of Cyprus there.

Thanks! Interesting that even in that collection, it is labeled Dubia aut spuria ("doubtful or spurious").

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016