homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » MW 3042 Westminster Baptist

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: MW 3042 Westminster Baptist
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was interested to read this report of Westminster Baptist Church http://shipoffools.com/mystery/2016/3042.html as I attended a service there once nearly 30 years ago.

At that time I was working in the area and was encouraged by my boss (who was in those days more or less the only practising Christian I knew) to accompany him to a midweek lunchtime service - which he attended regularly. I don't remember it being quite as dire as the picture painted by the mystery worshipper, but as someone with next to no church experience, I certainly found it very strange and quite intimidating.

(I never went back, but my boss didn't give up, and later he and his wife took me to his home church, also Baptist but very different: people there smiled and looked happy [Smile] )

Thank you for the report. it brought back a memory of something I'd completely forgotten.

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Inherent: Existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute."

Perhaps they meant "inerrant" as well but who knows?

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Especially as their website says "inherant"!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You Brits have always had trouble with your haitches, haven't you? [Big Grin]

"In Hertford, Hereford, and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right ... so not a glowing review then ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teekeey Misha:
"Inherent: Existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute."

Perhaps they meant "inerrant" as well but who knows?

Walter Brueggemann, in his essay in 'Struggling With Scripture', entitled “Biblical Authority: A Personal Reflection,” argues that the Bible as the inherent Word of God, “is not a fixed, frozen, readily exhausted read; it is rather a ‘script,’ always reread, through which the Spirit makes new”

But that's probably not what they think at Westminster Baptist Chapel.

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016