homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » We don't remember that. (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: We don't remember that.
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Assuming it was "Guiting Power" and not the original Youth Praise tune.

Oh it was definitely always Guiting Power. I wouldn't give the Baughan tune houseroom.
Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
The first tune (Michael Baughen, I think?) isn't a great one - it can be confused with something you'd expect to come from a fairground organ.

What a brilliant description! However I must say that tune gets more interesting when you get to the chorus bit: - "Yours the glory and the crown...... the high.... re...-nown...., the eter....nal..... name"

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In any case, some of us are very fond of fairground organs (although possibly not in church).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
The first tune (Michael Baughen, I think?) isn't a great one - it can be confused with something you'd expect to come from a fairground organ.

Yes, the original tune was by Michael Vaughn, arranged by Noel Tredinnick.
Mutter, mutter autocorrect…
What I meant to say was:
Yes, the original tune was by Michael Baughen, arranged by Noel Tredinnick.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
quote:

What a brilliant description! However I must say that tune gets more interesting when you get to the chorus bit: - "Yours the glory and the crown...... the high.... re...-nown...., the eter....nal..... name"
Although not to my usual taste I rather like both the hymn and the tune - in fact, I had no idea it was ever sung to anything else!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ditto. I like the tune and I've never heard any other. St Paul's Cathedral seemed to do it every time I was there. That was in Michael Baughan's time.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The other thing about the Baughen tune is its very strong resemblance to The Lumberjack Song [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The other thing about the Baughen tune is its very strong resemblance to The Lumberjack Song [Ultra confused]

Well I'd not noticed the resemblance before so I would hardly call it strong. I do get what you mean though, but its just 5 notes that sound the same, ie the bit of tune that goes with 'hear us as we sing' are the same notes that go with (sus)'-penders and a bra'

Nowhere near as strong a resemblance as that between 'All I once held dear' and 'The Ugly Duckling'! (With that one there are 13 consecutive notes that sound exactly like 'And he went with a quack and a waddle and a quack') [Biased]

[ 19. August 2016, 17:37: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always find that the signature tune to "The One Show" (BBC) reminds of the theme to Jamie Owens' "Come Together".

That dates me; but even worse is the fact that the third line of "Lead us heavenly Father" takes me straight to the 1960s police series "Softly Softly" (the sequel to "Z Cars").

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The first line of St Kevin by Sir Arthur Sullivan is a ringer for the beginning of "Into Parliament he must go" from Iolanthe, also by Sullivan. So much so, that I always sing the next line from the operetta in place of the next line from the hymn, because it amuses me and you take what you can get...

I don't imagine it was his intention to mingle his operettas (which he hated) with his hymnody (which he didn't) but there you go.

Come, ye fay-ay-thful, raise the strain...
In.....-to Par-lia-ment he... shall go...

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post 
I can't sing Glorious Things Of Thee Are Spoken without substituting Tony Hancock's Coughs And Sneezes Spread Diseases.

Decades ago there used to be a charismatic chorus which began Lord Prepare Me To Be A Sanctuary, to which my wife and kids and I used to sing Samuel Wilberforce's If I Were A Cassowary.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
I can't sing Glorious Things Of Thee Are Spoken without substituting Tony Hancock's Coughs And Sneezes Spread Diseases.

I find myself singing "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
quote:

Although not to my usual taste I rather like both the hymn and the tune - in fact, I had no idea it was ever sung to anything else!
I've just had to look up the original tune on YouTube. It isn't for me, personally.

Here is Guiting Power, which is the only tune I've heard used for it until now. It pretty.

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Ditto. I like the tune and I've never heard any other. St Paul's Cathedral seemed to do it every time I was there. That was in Michael Baughan's time.

Thanks to scrump's link I now know what we are talking about. St Paul's only used Guiting Power when Baughan was a canon. That is the only tune I'ever heard.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:

I find myself singing "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles."
With an outstretched arm and a finger under your nose?

My daughter, when young, used to delight in combining a popular take-off of On Top Of Old Smokey, with a Christian chorus which was sung to the same tune:

"I'm glad I'm a Christian / All covered with cheese".

Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Then there is the doxology (Praise God from whom all blessings flow), sung to the tune of "Hernando's Hideaway":

"Praise God/from whom/all blessings flow
Praise Him/all crea-/tures here below
Praise Him/above/ye heavenly host
Praise Fa-/ther Son and/ Holy Ghost"

Ole!

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, there are four lines of eight syllables. The fourth line is a bit of a struggle but Long Metre can just about be squeezed into it.

The House of the Rising Sun by the way is Common Metre. So a lot of hymns will fit it. Both Amazing Grace and While shepherds watched do.

[ 21. August 2016, 21:59: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At which point did the Ship turn into I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
At which point did the Ship turn into I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue?

AG

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*ahem*
(hosting)

we may rattle our keys soon ... drivel aka dribble is so unpleasant in the pews

(/hosting)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016