homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Too much wine (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Too much wine
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vidi Aquam:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The other wafer angle that we have been coping with is the demand for gluten-free wafers. These are also expensive, and fragile -- made of rice flour.

Gluten-free wafers are forbidden at the Traditional Latin Mass. Those with Celiac disease would have to receive a small fragment of the Host, or make a spiritual Communion.
How would a priest thus affected cope? The former RC Archbishop of Liverpool (the late Derek Worlock) used special gluten free (or maybe simply low gluten) wafers.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Vidi Aquam:
quote:
The other wafer angle that we have been coping with is the demand for gluten-free wafers. These are also expensive, and fragile -- made of rice flour.

Gluten-free wafers are forbidden at the Traditional Latin Mass. Those with Celiac disease would have to receive a small fragment of the Host, or make a spiritual Communion.
How would a priest thus affected cope? The former RC Archbishop of Liverpool (the late Derek Worlock) used special gluten free (or maybe simply low gluten) wafers.
I seem to recall reading that some nuns had developed a wafer with very low gluten content that still met church requirements and received approval, at least from some bishops.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not just the TLM, but gluten-free wafers are prohibited by the Catholic Church (no gluten, no bread).

Low-gluten wafers are permitted, of course.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So does that mean that a gluten-intolerant priest would be prevented from ever saying Mass?
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd guess so, unless there were some provision for his receiving only in one kind.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I'd never heard of it, and I'm C of E. Most of the comments about pouring the consecrated wine down the piscina seem to come from across the pond. I don't know what explains the difference in practice.

I once came across it in an MOTR parish (about 25 years ago), albeit I think the wine was poured directly into the consecrated ground. (I wasn't paying attention beyond the fact that my next port of call was lunch, which would include wine, and I didn't expect to have to neck a chalice of fortified wine in preparation when it was thrust under my nose by a desperate sacristan and was sufficiently relieved when the Vicar came to my rescue not to worry too much about the practicalities!)

Presumably, those who object to the pouring of the MPB into the consecrated earth also object to putting a half chewed wafer into a glass of water to disintegrate and then pouring the resulting concoction into the earth? Asking for a friend. [Biased]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:

Presumably, those who object to the pouring of the MPB into the consecrated earth also object to putting a half chewed wafer into a glass of water to disintegrate and then pouring the resulting concoction into the earth? Asking for a friend. [Biased]

I would object to the former, but not the latter. My reasoning is that the chewed-and-regurgitated host is unfit for consumption, so dissolving and pouring down the piscina is the best you can do. Your half-empty chalice is fit for consumption, and so should be consumed.

This is more based on a sense of what feels right than on any rigorous theology, though.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

I would object to the former, but not the latter. My reasoning is that the chewed-and-regurgitated host is unfit for consumption, so dissolving and pouring down the piscina is the best you can do. Your half-empty chalice is fit for consumption, and so should be consumed.

This is more based on a sense of what feels right than on any rigorous theology, though.

If I did have to commit the wine to the earth, in theory, (I have never done so whilst it has been my call) I would pour it directly into the consecrated earth (ignoring the piscina) as a libation.

Would this be bad and wrong? If so, why?

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know many Catholics who commonly use the phrase "gluten-free host" to mean "incredibly low gluten hosts." I know priests and laity both who regularly receive these. I don't know of anyone who's unable to receive these for medical reasons, including people with diagnosed celiac disease.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I did have to commit the wine to the earth, in theory, (I have never done so whilst it has been my call) I would pour it directly into the consecrated earth (ignoring the piscina) as a libation.

Would this be bad and wrong? If so, why?

A libation is specifically an offering of wine to a god. It has nothing at all to do with Christianity.
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Actually, such a wafer would no longer be the Blessed Sacrament anyway, so long as the accidents (the appearance of being bread) had been so altered. A wafer dissolved in a quantity of water so that it no longer bore the discernable appearance of bread would no more remain the Bl.Sac. than (what remained of) a wafer that had passed through the digestive tract.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We have done this for as long as the church has been a building (the piscina sink is plumbed into tbe sacristy). This must make a practice at least eighty years old. Our older building, the chapel, doesn't have a piscina, so that gives you kind of a time line.

I think the piscina sink is used for rinsing the sacred vessels of the few drops that might bee left, not disposing of drinkable quantities. It is also a place to dispose of baptismal water. When I was a LEM we (priest, deacon, lay ministers) used to pass around the chalice if there was an inordinate amount of wine remaining. Then the altar guild folks washed it and poured the wash water down the piscina.

And according to Wiki, the piscina became a popular fixture in English churches during the thirteenth century.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For us, anything that has held the consecrated bread or wine - patens (1 each for plain and gluten free wafers), chalice, ciborium etc - is rinsed into a chalice with plain water and that water is drunk by a server. Then after the service, everything is again washed in hot soapy water etc. A nice question about that practice is that there's always a drop of wine in the bottom. An under-age server will therefore be expected to consume this tiny amount of alcohol.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When one considers beef burgundy, cherries jubilee, chicken marsala, and so on, I think the servers are well familiar with a taste of wine.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They may be familiar, but here is a church having under-age people consume alcohol.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
They may be familiar, but here is a church having under-age people consume alcohol.

What's the situation for under age communicants generally?

[ 23. September 2016, 12:32: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Nonconformists often use non-alcoholic wine anyway. It's revolting).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

It's also an oxymoron.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's still "fruit of the grape" rather than Ribena or prune juice. In any case I really don't think that God is too fussed: it's the reflection, prayer and meditation on the Last Supper and the Passion which count, and the devotion of his worshippers.

[ 23. September 2016, 12:56: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that for religious purposes you are out from under the underage-drinking laws. Similar to Native Americans using peyote in rituals. It's illegal for you and me tonight after dinner, but not them in their rites.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I think in the UK children (at least over a certain age - 5 or 6?) are legally allowed to consume alcohol with their parents' supervision. 18 is the legal age for buying alcohol.

Quite apart from the religious aspect (how can the law forbid children from receiving the Lord's Body and Blood?), children who from an early age are given wine, in moderation, with meals are going to grow up with a much more sensible approach to drinking alcohol than those who see getting paralytic as a sign of maturity.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

According to "Drinkaware" (simplified):

It is against the law
•To sell alcohol to someone under 18 anywhere.
•For an adult to buy or attempt to buy alcohol on behalf of someone under 18 (but see below).
•For someone under 18 to buy alcohol, attempt to buy alcohol or to be sold alcohol.
•To give children alcohol if they are under five.

It is not illegal:
•For someone over 18 to buy a child over 16 beer, wine or cider if they are eating a table meal together in licensed premises.
•For a child aged five to 16 to drink alcohol at home or on other private premises.

[ 23. September 2016, 16:00: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

1. That may be the law in some places east of Greenwich. I don't think it's all that accurate in NSW, and can't speak of the other states/territories.

2. We want to encourage the understanding that the parish is vigilant about all aspects of child safety/safe ministry - be it improper behaviour towards a minor, supplying alcohol, anything.

3. Those under 18 intinct, so consumption is minimal. People here intinct by merely dipping the far side of the wafer into the wine, the thinnest dip, so fingers dont get wet.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
I believe that for religious purposes you are out from under the underage-drinking laws. Similar to Native Americans using peyote in rituals. It's illegal for you and me tonight after dinner, but not them in their rites.

That most certainly is not the law here, even if it be so in some of the united states. Nothing I can quickly see about an exemption for religious purposes.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That most certainly is not the law here, even if it be so in some of the united states.
While it is explicitly provided for in the alcohol laws of my state, the First Amendment pretty much guarantees it throughout the US.

As for your teenaged acolytes, surely by the time water is added to the chalice, the remaining drops of wine are so diluted that the alcohol content is negligible.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I agree that the amount of alcohol is minimal. The principle remains important, that the parish know that those responsible (in this case the the Rector and Master Server) are aware of the issue, just as they are aware of all safe ministry issues. (You are probably unaware but Aust is in the throes of a Royal Commission into child sexual abuse in institutions and that the churches generally are not coming out of it well. It's important to let everyone know that the parish takes its safe ministry seriously.)

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
We have done this for as long as the church has been a building (the piscina sink is plumbed into tbe sacristy). This must make a practice at least eighty years old. Our older building, the chapel, doesn't have a piscina, so that gives you kind of a time line.

I think the piscina sink is used for rinsing the sacred vessels of the few drops that might bee left, not disposing of drinkable quantities. It is also a place to dispose of baptismal water. When I was a LEM we (priest, deacon, lay ministers) used to pass around the chalice if there was an inordinate amount of wine remaining. Then the altar guild folks washed it and poured the wash water down the piscina.

And according to Wiki, the piscina became a popular fixture in English churches during the thirteenth century.

The piscina is indeed a very old feature.

At my old place, it was used for consecrated wine that had been in chalices (the rest got reserved) as well as for the rinse water. We were also not supposed to ask, say, the choir (who were across the hall) for help. This was, I told, a rule that had been instituted after there were problems with people who shouldn't have been drinking but did.

If it was just a swig I might finish it off, but some LEMs really liked filling the chalices well and the amount could have easily gotten me buzzed enough to also be a problem (getting home).

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that when teenagers who happen to be below the age at which they can buy drinks, consume minuscule amounts of communion wine probably diluted with water, this is a form of child abuse or that not letting them do so is making an important statement of principle, has lost their sense of proportion.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't think it's revolting. I'm not a connoisseur of fine wine, though.

I admit to not understanding why alcoholic wine is non-negotiable in certain historical denominations. Many of the issues mentioned here would be resolved if they stuck to the non-alcoholic variety.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

Perhaps you use a different brand to us. Ours is marked, "Not intended for use as a beverage"!
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
quote:
quote:

Perhaps you use a different brand to us. Ours is marked, "Not intended for use as a beverage"!
[Confused] What is the intended use? And why do you use it if it tastes so bad?

I'm in one of those denominations where the norm is grape juice, though wine is certainly permitted, and is found from time to time. I hope that one day wine will be the norm again. Wine speaks to celebration and transformation in a way that grape juice simply can't.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that when teenagers who happen to be below the age at which they can buy drinks, consume minuscule amounts of communion wine probably diluted with water, this is a form of child abuse or that not letting them do so is making an important statement of principle, has lost their sense of proportion.

I'd be surprised if anyone thought that. What we are doing is showing that as we're conscious of our obligations in these tiny details, we're also conscious of them in the substantial matters, such as sexual abuse.

BTW, it's not just buying drinks, it's having drinks bought for them as well.

[ 24. September 2016, 22:16: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

I'm in one of those denominations where the norm is grape juice, though wine is certainly permitted, and is found from time to time. I hope that one day wine will be the norm again. Wine speaks to celebration and transformation in a way that grape juice simply can't.

Some people can 'celebrate' without alcohol, though, and fermentation isn't what make Communion a transformatory act.

I'm not saying that alcohol is bad, but in complicated modern societies it's useful to have spaces where alcohol and fun aren't deemed to be inevitable companions. For example, in communities where there are recovering alcoholics and people with particular diseases, and where evangelism and interfaith work involve engagement with Muslims, a non-alcoholic Communion service is more inclusive.

I know of one city centre parish church that offers both alcoholic and non-alcoholic wine at Communion, as well as gluten-free wafers. I think this is a good solution for them, since it takes into account both their tradition and also the realities of their modern, urban setting.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For example, in communities where there are recovering alcoholics and people with particular diseases, and where evangelism and interfaith work involve engagement with Muslims, a non-alcoholic Communion service is more inclusive.

You have interfaith services where you communicate Muslims with grape juice? [Ultra confused]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Some people can 'celebrate' without alcohol . . .

Of course. I would hope most people can.

quote:
and fermentation isn't what make Communion a transformatory act.
Of course it isn't. But the transformation that occurs in wine can underscore the tranformatory nature of the sacrament.

quote:
I'm not saying that alcohol is bad, but in complicated modern societies it's useful to have spaces where alcohol and fun aren't deemed to be inevitable companions.
Once again, no argument on that, except I don't know that such concern is limited to "complicated modern societies."

But I don't mean celebratory in the sense of fun. I mean celebratory in the sense of the biblical images of a feast or a wedding banquet. Think of the wedding at Cana. There is a strong connection in Scripture between wine and religious ritual, celebratory feasts, hospitality and joy. Grape juice, which wasn't a realistic option until Mr. Welch came along in the late 1800s, is a pale imitation in comparison when it comes to conveying these biblical associations. (And it's not just a matter of alcohol. The flavor of grape juice is simply one dimensional—primarily sweet—compared to wine. Wine is a "richer" drink.)

I agree that there may be reasons to use non-alcoholic "wine" at times. But I think those groups for whom grape juice became the norm lost something significant by making that choice rather than letting grape juice be an alternative when pastoral or other considerations call for an alternative.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some people can 'celebrate' without alcohol, though, and fermentation isn't what make Communion a transformatory act.

I'm not saying that alcohol is bad, but in complicated modern societies it's useful to have spaces where alcohol and fun aren't deemed to be inevitable companions.

I wasn't aware that the Eucharist was supposed to be "fun."

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

I'd be surprised if anyone thought that. What we are doing is showing that as we're conscious of our obligations in these tiny details, we're also conscious of them in the substantial matters, such as sexual abuse.

BTW, it's not just buying drinks, it's having drinks bought for them as well.

The flip side of this is that putting any emphasis on the subject at all in certain settings causes the OCD people to flip the hell out. My son does so, because every freaking month he gets exposed to some damn thing on the subject of underage drinking, and comes home all stressed about whether holy Communion is actually a) legit and b) harmful-even-if-legit. Which is utter bull.

He's only a teenager, which must stand as his excuse; but I'd be so very, very glad if the subject was never mentioned in his presence again. I'd rather have some authority figure (other than Mom, who as we all know, doesn't count) say that fussing over such a tiny amount is absurd, especially given the intention. A good solid rolling-of-eyes would go a long way toward giving my son and those like him the reassurance their overly-conscientious brains need.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I was allowed to have small amounts of wine at home when I was a teenager. I never became an alcoholic. I never went to parties where kids got smashed. I never really started drinking socially until I was in my 20s. I'm not sure it's a universal evil for kids under their parents' supervision to have small amounts of alcohol. Maybe other kids might have went the same way. To me it took the shine off it. "Ooh, let's drink beer because our parents don't want us to." Meh.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know of one city centre parish church that offers both alcoholic and non-alcoholic wine at Communion, as well as gluten-free wafers. I think this is a good solution for them, since it takes into account both their tradition and also the realities of their modern, urban setting.

That doesn't solve the problem: simply being in a place where there is wine will tempt some who are recovering. Surely church is about holiness - ie not putting temptation in people's way?

There is a choice after all and, as BT says, I don't think God is bothered if we use unfermented wine so long as we are transformed by participating and feasting on all God has to offer..

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Nick Tamen used the word 'celebration', and I used the word 'fun'. To me the words are closely related, but apparently not in a religious sense; after all, the Eucharist is usually a very sober affair. It's a celebration in a theological rather than an everyday sense.

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
You have interfaith services where you communicate Muslims with grape juice? [Ultra confused]

The church I was referring to often seems to have some Muslims in attendance when I go there. (I haven't spoken to them, but they look and dress like Muslims.) And I know of an inner city church that often attracts Muslims to its services.

British Methodist ministers routinely invite the approach of anyone who 'loves Jesus' to share in the bread and wine. In theory, this could appeal to Muslims, and in my city there are many Muslims. Strict Muslims don't drink alcohol.

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Simply being in a place where there is wine will tempt some who are recovering. Surely church is about holiness - ie not putting temptation in people's way?

There is a choice after all and, as BT says, I don't think God is bothered if we use unfermented wine so long as we are transformed by participating and feasting on all God has to offer..

I see your point, but as this thread shows, many churches insist on alcoholic wine. I would rather they didn't, but if they must, it's good if they also provide a (palatable) non-alcoholic option.
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a legal requirement for the Church of England that the wine for communion should be
quote:
the fermented juice of the grape, good and wholesome
In the Anglican Communion (and probably in others too) communion is regarded as complete even where a person is able to receive only one element - the bread or the wine - so those for whom alcohol is a problem can simply refrain from the wine. There are some others who do that anyway for a variety of reasons, so it wouldn't be a 'pointer' to a person's alcoholism.

[ 25. September 2016, 16:45: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I know people who don't drink alcohol (some doubtless alcoholics, others not... it's irrelevant) who will take the chalice into their hands and/or kiss it, without drinking from it. A more powerful gesture than simply walking away after receiving the host.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
It is a legal requirement for the Church of England that the wine for communion should be
quote:
In the Anglican Communion (and probably in others too) communion is regarded as complete even where a person is able to receive only one element - the bread or the wine - so those for whom alcohol is a problem can simply refrain from the wine. There are some others who do that anyway for a variety of reasons, so it wouldn't be a 'pointer' to a person's alcoholism.
Yes but non-alcoholic wine is fermented (the alcohol is then driven off) and given the looseness which the strictures on the bread are observed really the argument from "wholesome" is straining at a gnat.

Jengie

[ 25. September 2016, 19:48: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Nick Tamen used the word 'celebration', and I used the word 'fun'. To me the words are closely related, but apparently not in a religious sense; after all, the Eucharist is usually a very sober affair. It's a celebration in a theological rather than an everyday sense.
No, it's a celebration in the sense of the ordinary definition of "celebration": to observe (a day) or commemorate (an event) with ceremonies or festivities. A celebration might be fun, but that is not intrinsic to the meaning of the word. Closer might be festive (pertaining to or suitable for a feast or festival; joyous; merry), and that is apropos of the examples I gave—a feast or wedding banquet.

As for the Eucharist all too often being a sober [ha!] affair, that has historically certainly been all too true, at least in my tribe. And that despite what we say in the liturgy, that it is "the joyful feast of the people of God," to which they will come from north, south, east and west. But fortunately, there has been a noticeable shift in recent decades, and the somber Communion services have become much less common among us.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Well, let's say that if I were using the word 'celebration' with my friends they'd expect me to be referring to something livelier than what normally happens in Communion!

If we're talking primarily about remembering then 'commemoration' is a more neutral word than 'celebration'. The former might be used for an event that reflects on the Transatlantic slave trade, for example; the latter would be inappropriate.

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Well, let's say that if I were using the word 'celebration' with my friends they'd expect me to be referring to something livelier than what normally happens in Communion!

Which might suggest something is amiss about the way Communion is celebrated.

But again, "livelier" (full of life) is not the same thing as fun (something that provides mirth or amusement; enjoyment or playfulness). I'd wager that mirth, amusement or playfulness might form a part of what most people think about when they talk about celebrating, say, a holiday or a birthday, but I'd also wager 'fun' is not the main thing people think of, unless they're children or it's a purely fun holiday, like Halloween. To perhaps relate it to the Eucharist, in the US when people talk about about celebrating Thanksgiving, they mean a big dinner with traditional foods and giving some thought to what they are thankful for.

Well, and football. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a data point, I've always seen LEMs check in at the rail with parents of young children about the chalice. The teens and young adults (drinking age is 21) who would be offered the chalice without parental consultation would not be served alcohol at a social function.

Both places I'm semi-regular at now have a non-alcoholic chalice either off to the side or as part of the "line".

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
All well and good but there is still clearly discrimination by retaining fermented wine which is alcoholic and which will cause an issue with some of it is ingested. If fermented but non alcoholic wine is wholesome (the Canons do not discriminate here), then why not use it? If the Canon is silent then there's no problem surely?

If it's a matter of only fermented/alcoholic wine being safe in a shared chalice then that's an incorrect assumption. No container can insure against some kins of shared infection esp the more likely viruses of norovirus, colds and herpes. Bacterial things like e coli wont be stopped either.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

Which might suggest something is amiss about the way Communion is celebrated.

But again, "livelier" (full of life) is not the same thing as fun (something that provides mirth or amusement; enjoyment or playfulness). I'd wager that mirth, amusement or playfulness might form a part of what most people think about when they talk about celebrating, say, a holiday or a birthday, but I'd also wager 'fun' is not the main thing people think of, unless they're children or it's a purely fun holiday, like Halloween. To perhaps relate it to the Eucharist, in the US when people talk about about celebrating Thanksgiving, they mean a big dinner with traditional foods and giving some thought to what they are thankful for.

Well, and football. [Big Grin]

In many versions of the Old Hundredth, the second line is
"Him serve with mirth, his praise forth tell", though many others have us serving him with "fear".

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

Indeed, Enoch. I much prefer the mirthful version—enjoying God forever and all.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016