homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pews v chairs (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pews v chairs
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Disappointed]
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. How did the body of Christ, founded upon the declaration that Jesus was the Messiah, crucified and risen, come to this?

If you like pews, have them!
If you prefer a padded seat, good for you.

And yet...if anyone were to suggest bean bags, even a liberal nonconformist like me would raise a quizzical eyebrow.

So where do we draw the line and what criteria do we use? What is appropriate (or inappropriate) for a house of worship?

On the surface, it looks like a bit of petty silliness, but there is some seriousness here about how rooted to the past a church has to be. To say that gospel faithfulness is one and the same thing as adherence as an austere traditionalism seems wrong, but so is its polar opposite of a free-for-all where anything goes.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They'd blast me too, but I say a church ought to be fit for purpose--and the purpose of a church is for people to worship God in.

If the people need padded seats to enable that, by all means. The historians can take a flying one.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is also the point that not all people can sit in unpadded seats/beanbag chairs/whatever trendy thing you're shilling. Some people have to have decent back support; time is not our friend.

Folding or stackable chairs of decent quality are cheaper and more flexible than pews. Unless you are a church with bucketloads of money, I would not go and deliberately install pews.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The decision is in my view absolutely right. How dare anyone suggest that a church should be comfortable, welcoming or flexible? They'll be thinking of installing heating next, and even toilets! Surely the whole point of churches is to drive people away from the faith and increase national ungodliness? The Archbishop has clearly set a terrible example by installing (or keeping) his chairs and should be removed from office forthwith!

If the church is allowed to get away with comfy chairs they might even think of installing tables, chairs, a snooker table and table tennis in the parish church*. That might attract young people and That Would Never Do! [Devil]

* Hadleigh, Suffolk: the excellent "Porch Project".

P.S. I think there is a real problem with historic medieval furnishings which are indeed precious - but the pews in question are clearly life-expired and date from centuries later.

[ 23. August 2016, 14:41: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Folding or stackable chairs of decent quality are cheaper and more flexible than pews. Unless you are a church with bucketloads of money, I would not go and deliberately install pews.

Just don't get those linked chairs which are so narrow that anyone with a waistline greater than 20 inches finds themselves squashed up hard against their neighbours!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With the low standards of reporting in the Telegraph now, I would be hesitant about making too much of this without knowing more. But I find the Church Warden's reported comment that they have been growing in numbers, but this ruling will 'knock them right back' rather odd. Really? People go to church for the chairs? Maybe the sermons are so uninspiring that they want somewhere comfortable to sleep?

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

"If all the people who went to sleep in church were placed end to end ... they'd be much more comfortable".
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEITHER!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
NEITHER!

Oh, OK then.

The award for the most comfortable seating of all time has to go to St Nic's, Durham which were plush, low and leaned back - very conducive to a snooze, though they were a right ol' bugger to move.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:
NEITHER!

Oh, OK then.
[Confused]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently most mega-churches have theater-type seating -- and those cup holders aren't for "wee cuppies."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

So if we install those chairs and provide cup-holders, we'll become a mega-church too?

Let's do it!

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's deucedly expensive, those fancy theater seats. The theaters make it back on showing movies; I submit that if a church has that much money it shouldn't be spent on interior decorating. Also, there's a fashion in this kind of thing -- I am sure we are all old enough to remember when theater seating with cupholders was not available even in movie theaters. In twenty years something else will be the latest and the greatest, and your church will be so yesterday.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Actually if what I've read is correct the theatres make it back on snacks. Renting the movies is a loss compared to revenue from ticket sales.

[ 23. August 2016, 17:17: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

So should we sell popcorn to be consumed during the sermon? [Two face]
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
KNEELERS?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
So should we sell popcorn to be consumed during the sermon? [Two face]

Bennies.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...not all people can sit in unpadded seats/beanbag chairs/whatever trendy thing you're shilling. Some people have to have decent back support; time is not our friend.

Folding or stackable chairs of decent quality are cheaper and more flexible than pews.

Flexibility goes several ways, as I saw when a church ditched their random collection of second hand pews for stackable chairs.

The chairs have a hard frame that makes it much less comfortable for someone who needs a chair and a half of width.

A pew is more flexible for kiddies to play a bit or lie down.

A chair defines your space, pews let you spread out or squeeze more in as appropriate.

Never thought I'd vote for pews but that church was in some ways less flexible when it went to chairs. So I'd say each has advantages, rather than one being universally superior to the other.

As to standing, some of us can't, whether the friend who broke a leg, athlete with post concussion syndrome dizzyness, or the parent with babes in arms.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least there is no blanket ban, they say. So they are OK if the heating fails.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:

Never thought I'd vote for pews but that church was in some ways less flexible when it went to chairs. So I'd say each has advantages, rather than one being universally superior to the other.

I have a preference for pews, and you've listed some of the reasons. But there's nothing inherently bad about chairs, and no reason why an upholstered seat should be a particular issue.

You'll have to remember that the upholstery will be much less durable than either a wooden chair or a pew - the fabric will tear, wear, fade, and begin to look shabby, whereas wood acquires character and patina. But as long as you're budgeting for replacing the upholstery on a reasonable schedule, I see no reason to prefer an uncushioned chair to an upholstered one.

If you think a plain wood chair looks more "in place" in an old church than one with an upholstered seat, you're just wrong.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

This may be by the bye, but it definitely impacts comfort: in stackable chairs, the seating surface is nearly always flat. Pews tend to be sculpted to mold to the human butt. I remember riding the subway in Chicago. The older trains had cushioned seats. The newer ones had molded hard plastic. The plastic ones were far more comfortable. Man was not meant to sit on padded flat surfaces while hearing every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God. Woman neither.

[ 23. August 2016, 19:41: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM that if we are going to be faithful to the Word of God, then we are bound to follow the only NT precedent which it provides for the act of sitting in an assembly of the saints, which is clearly to perch on window sills (Acts 20:9).
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Pews tend to be sculpted to mold to the human butt.

Not in Britain!
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
ISTM that if we are going to be faithful to the Word of God, then we are bound to follow the only NT precedent which it provides for the act of sitting in an assembly of the saints, which is clearly to perch on window sills (Acts 20:9).

Not everyone. It would be a real squash!

(As an aside, my son was at a party in Bristol some years ago where someone did sit on the window ledge, fell out and - unlike Eutychus - was not taken up alive. Not nice.)

[ 23. August 2016, 21:47: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:

I must demur. Lying on a bed dangling from the ceiling is also attested to in the Gospels.

--------------------

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The advantage of pews over chairs is aesthetic. They naturally look right. You really have to work hard to make pews look a mess. Walk into a church with pews and it will naturally look tidy and peaceful.

Chairs do not do that. The moment you sit on them, they go sliding all over the place. You can generally see through them (necessary in order to save weight and money). You have to work hard to keep them looking tidy. (At one point in my life I had the weekly job of straightening 64 rows of chairs. A good week was one where they were within a foot of where they ought to have been.)

My other reason for preferring pews is a missional one. When people come into my church -- or many others that I have known -- they tend to enjoy how it looks. It looks like a church to them. It is clear what it is intended for. It grabs them in a way that wooden chairs, however nicely made, would not. Beauty matters in churches: practicality can't be the only principle.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

What, we aren't supposed to sit in rows on a grassy hillside?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Why did he say "Blessed are the cheesemakers?"

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not in Britain!
Nor in many older American churches.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
quote:

Because we have a friend in Cheeses?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
quote:

Not in Britain!
Nor in many older American churches.
Nor in many modern American churches.

(But I do prefer pews to chairs.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Nor in many modern American churches.

True, but at least the backs on those pews are at something of a wider angle. There are a number of older churches around here where the back is at a strict right angle to the seat, and the seat is ridiculously shallow. Add to that how close the pews are together, and my 6'3" frame recoils on horror.

I tend to like pews better too, though.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
NEITHER!

Exactly. Chairs or pews make it awkward when you want to pop out for a quick smoke (or cuddle) as seems the standard practice in Greece.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Because it's this hillside?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
NEITHER!

Exactly. Chairs or pews make it awkward when you want to pop out for a quick smoke (or cuddle) as seems the standard practice in Greece.
Or change the baby, or venerate icons, or run across to your godmother when mum is being mean. But nice slam.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:

Try that in Lincolnshire, or the Cambridgeshire Fens, or anywhere in Holland ...

Or at the other end of the topological spectrum, in the rocky wilds of Snowdonia ...

Not practical.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
NEITHER!

Or change the baby, or venerate icons, or run across to your godmother when mum is being mean. But nice slam.
Glad to say that I've never seen nappy-changing, and sadly very little veneration of icons, at least during the Divine Liturgy. But Athenian behaviour seems to mandate cigarette breaks with a cuddle or 2 as well. Can't and wasn't speaking of elsewhere in the Orthodox world.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:

Chairs do not do that. The moment you sit on them, they go sliding all over the place.

We must have very funny chairs. They don't go sliding.
The blue ones are both padded and stackable in twos.
The ones with arms have a nice large square thick firm upholstery which is exactly what an octogenarian with a spinal stenosis problem needs.
But these are all in the little old church where we've been worshiping while the 1957 church was earthquake strengthened. Now we have to decide whether we use the beautiful golden kauri pews with long cushions or get chairs, since we believe we should welcome the community into the church for many events other than Sunday services.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saith the blessed Aidan Kavanagh: 'Pews, which entered liturgical place only recently, nail the assembly down, proclaiming that the liturgy is not a common action but a preachment perpetrated upon the seated, an ecclesiastical opera done by virtuosi for a paying audience.' (Elements of Rite, page 21)
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

The worst sliding I've ever had (and this has happened in a few places) is where you get a church with pews that are extremely well polished, but then on top of this, there is a very thin, scarf-like cushion that's about 7 inches wide and 7 feet long. There's just hardly any friction between it and the pew, so the instant your derriere applies pressure to it, off you go!

One of the other bad pews I've had was, I think, designed to get you kneeling. The angle between the seat and the back was less that 90 degrees, forcing you to hunch forward. Had that been combined with a slippy top, I doubt I'd ever have escaped.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I have been on buses where the seats have been made of shiny plastic. Very uncomfortable and no good when the driver zooms round the corner.

Seats covered in good old-fashioned London Transport moquette are the best - very grippy on one's posterior yet comfortable! Perhaps churches should take note (not that most churches race around corners!)

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apparently most mega-churches have theater-type seating -- and those cup holders aren't for "wee cuppies."

More like wee lattes.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
quote:
quote:

Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.
Aren't those who make products for the lactose-intolerant blessed?

--------------------
~Tortuf

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Not sure there were a lot of those in first-century Palestine. But if there were any, they'd have been blessed.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not sure there were a lot of those in first-century Palestine. But if there were any, they'd have been blessed.
Most adult Jews are lactose intolerant.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Interesting. Although "lactose intolerant" as a diagnosis did not exist in first century Palestine. Mostly people suffering from food sensitivities would have just considered themselves to have bad digestion or something like that.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The majority of adults worldwide are lactose intolerant. Adult lactose tolerance is a Northern European thing.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
The majority of adults worldwide are lactose intolerant. Adult lactose tolerance is a Northern European thing.

A biological adaptation that increases the range of foods one can eat through the long winter. Cheese is calorie-dense and contains protein and sugars in addition to its great amounts of fat. One place where the pasty white people really did win the biological jackpot.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still, we find a whole list of rules on when and how Jews can eat dairy products, and a holiday on which the traditional festive foods are all dairy (Shavuos).

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016