homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Jeremy Corbyn out? (Page 31)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Jeremy Corbyn out?
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frankly My Dear:
[T]hose who have been politically 'activated' by Corbyn

Who are these people?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But earlier you were criticizing the PLP for starting the process towards a leadership competition.

If you accept that the chances of Corbyn winning are slim then there is justification to search for a better leader. That the challenger turns out to be Smith and that Smith is running a poor campaign wasn't predictable at the point that they took that decision.

To be honest I think the chief advantage in Smith is that he would be more likely to resign before the next election than Corbyn. I don't see either of them winning, it is desperately depressing that the Labour party has come to this. Where are the political titans waiting in the wings that could bring Labour back to political tractability?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
Who are these people?

You want a list of names?

--------------------

MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Where are the political titans waiting in the wings that could bring Labour back to political tractability?

I'm honestly not sure they exist, sadly. The pre-Corbyn front benches didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

- Posted      Profile for Frankly My Dear   Email Frankly My Dear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But earlier you were criticizing the PLP for starting the process towards a leadership competition.

That's right - I don't understand the 'But' ....
Posts: 108 | From: Telford, Shropshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

That was in the next paragraph.

The point is that if you recognize that the electorate are very unlikely to vote Corbyn in, it is surely reasonable for the PLP to consider changing leader in order to get elected.

You countered that earlier by saying that Smith wasn't much better. My point is that at the time they were considering a leadership challenge and putting wheels in motion it wasn't clear he would be the only alternative, or that has campaign would be so lackluster.

--------------------

Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

- Posted      Profile for Frankly My Dear   Email Frankly My Dear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I think I see ... On the assessment of how things are now, I think it's fair to say that the alternative has emerged as a bit of a second-rater - how much of this was predictable I leave to others to ponder ... On an assessment of how things were at the time of Cameron's resignation, then the whole Labour Party - Corbyn & the PLP & the membership together - had a golden opportunity to pull together and surge ahead.
Posts: 108 | From: Telford, Shropshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

I think some of the stories referenced up thread regarding the way Corbyn was running the party indicate why the PLP felt that wasn't the right way forward.

Maybe the current mess was entirely predictable. Unfortunately I think an electoral wipe-out is also very predictable at the moment.

Still, one can only hope. A few years is a long time in politics.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Who are these people?
me - reactivated

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
quote:

Who are these people?
me - reactivated
Great. But you voted Labour at the last election so that doesn't help Corbyn get closer to No 10.
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

quote:
I think some of the stories referenced up thread regarding the way Corbyn was running the party indicate why the PLP felt that wasn't the right way forward.

Maybe the current mess was entirely predictable. Unfortunately I think an electoral wipe-out is also very predictable at the moment.

Still, one can only hope. A few years is a long time in politics.

They certainly felt it (ie, the staggered resignations) would be a quick job - and that was a massive mis-calculation (and I said so at the time, though not on any public forum).
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You want a list of names?

Yes please.

I'm not a Labour voter and as I've said before on these boards, am very anti-Corbyn. He is not likely to turn me into a Labour voter. I can't see much difference between him and John Redwood.

But one of the depressing things about the Labour Party's leadership election last year was that all the candidates - Corbyn emphatically included in that condemnation - were so lack-lustre.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

There is something in what you say, Enoch.
The two men who might have given the party a shot in the arm? - Chukka Umunna = bottled it and Alan Johnson = Unwilling to play ball at all.
And I acknowledge this as someone who leans more to the Corbyn side of the party.

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Who are these people?
Both my parents and both my siblings. None of them have a history of political activism; all have joined the Labour Party in support of Jeremy Corbyn.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:
quote:

Who are these people?
Both my parents and both my siblings. None of them have a history of political activism; all have joined the Labour Party in support of Jeremy Corbyn.
But i) did they vote Labour in 2015; and ii) will they become properly politically active (i.e. not attending demos but canvassing and knocking on doors)?
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They certainly felt it (ie, the staggered resignations) would be a quick job - and that was a massive mis-calculation (and I said so at the time, though not on any public forum).

They failed to foresee two things:

1. That Mr Corbyn would think it reasonable to remain in position and reject all compromise despite commanding the support of fewer MPs than Angus Robertson;

2. That, following the implosion of Messrs Gove and Johnson, Ms Leadsom would recognise that, despite her strong grassroots support, she was out of her depth and did not have the confidence of her MPs, and would therefore withdraw - meaning the contest was over within weeks instead of dragging on until September.

(1) does not, I think, reflect well on Mr Corbyn. Mr Corbyn himself might wish to reflect well on (2).

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Who are these people?
Me.

Anyone been politically DE-activated by Corbyn?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was one of the ones cheering Corbyn on NOT to resign - I don't know about the 'reasonableness' of this; it just would have been a huge affront to the membership to allow such a thing to succeed.
The proper course of action was to put up a contender, from the off.

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
But i) did they vote Labour in 2015; and ii) will they become properly politically active (i.e. not attending demos but canvassing and knocking on doors)?

Who would possibly have access to any data like this? All we can say is that the labour party has grown in membership very dramatically. If that has a political impact or not can't be determined at this point, but it seems a bit much to dismiss it as a factor simply because no-one has the data on the intentions and previous history of the joiners.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back a few posts, Frankly My Dear asked what polling an MP would have done to ascertain the opinions of members of the constituency parties. Probably none, but most MPs would have regular meetings with their local members to discuss a range of issues. In addition, there would be less formal meetings with those who do much of the work - those who attend meetings, those who carry out letter-boxing, those who hand out leaflets at polling booths. Much the sort of work that is probably overlooked by the 3 pound members calling out for Corbyn's return.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin60: I am not quite de-activated. If there had been an opportunity to pay three quid this time I may well have done that - in order to vote for Smith. He is holding out a possibility of remaining in the EU - I would have thought that would be attractive to Labour party members?

And, yes Frankly My Dear, I wanted to see Alan Johnson stand for the leadership and suspect that we would be in a very different ship if he was leader.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

Gee D - You may have a point, but I think the jury is still out on the level of involvement by newer members - not least because it takes a while in any CLP to get one's face known ....
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
I would have thought that would be attractive to Labour party members?

Although probably not to Labour party voters, especially in the North of England...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

Indeed!
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who are these people?
me - reactivated
Great. But you voted Labour at the last election so that doesn't help Corbyn get closer to No 10.
but there are many like me

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who are these people?
me - reactivated
Even if we accept that the plural of anecdote is data, unless you are someone who a) voted Conservative last time and b) live in a Tory/ Labour marginal, that doesn't really get us very far. The object of the exercise is to win a General Election, which involves changing perceptions of the opposition among people who voted for the government, last time. If enthusing one's base were an adequate electoral strategy, IDS and the Tories would have romped home in 2005.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
I would have thought that would be attractive to Labour party members?

Although probably not to Labour party voters, especially in the North of England...
I agree. First, there is the job of getting an elected Party leader who will lead an effective opposition and then a leader and Party who will be more attractive to voters (or at least less unattractive than Corbyn).

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
If enthusing one's base were an adequate electoral strategy, IDS and the Tories would have romped home in 2005.

And as if to help prove the point, let's not forget that the Tories recognised they were going nowhere under IDS and threw him under the bus *before* the 2005 GE.

In Tory circles, the wisdom is that Michael Howard did an excellent job of stopping the rot, binning the self-indulgent Tory wish-fulfilment navel gazing, and setting the stage for the modernisation of the party up to 2010.

Winning was never on the agenda for 2005, dragging the membership kicking and screaming back from their ideological comfort zone so that people in the real world would begin to take them seriously very much was.

[ 30. August 2016, 10:09: Message edited by: betjemaniac ]

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who are these people?
me - reactivated
Even if we accept that the plural of anecdote is data, unless you are someone who a) voted Conservative last time and b) live in a Tory/ Labour marginal, that doesn't really get us very far. The object of the exercise is to win a General Election, which involves changing perceptions of the opposition among people who voted for the government, last time. If enthusing one's base were an adequate electoral strategy, IDS and the Tories would have romped home in 2005.
Fair enough in broad terms. But fails to account for the potential votes coming from those who supported other parties last time (or no party at all) -- This is the kind of research and voter-engagement that Labour needs to turn its attention to next ...
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
The two men who might have given the party a shot in the arm? - Chukka Umunna = bottled it and Alan Johnson = Unwilling to play ball at all.
And I acknowledge this as someone who leans more to the Corbyn side of the party.

I have slightly mixed feelings about Alan Johnson but would have been delighted with Chukka Umuna. I guess he looked into the abyss of labour leadership, press intrusion and the end of personal life and, as you say, bottled it. A great loss. Perhaps he wrongly assumed others would pick the ball up but they haven't.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gee D - You may have a point, but I think the jury is still out on the level of involvement by newer members - not least because it takes a while in any CLP to get one's face known ....

It takes no time to put your name down t letter-box an area next Saturday afternoon. I'd be surprised if many of the Corbyn romantics who paid their 3 pounds have even thought of that.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who are these people?
me - reactivated
Yes, this is the sort of thing I was driving at (in a perhaps less than clear way). If you're one of these many people who've just joined, it seems to me that you're only going to make a difference if i) you didn't used to vote Labour but now you are (and even then, that might not be all that, for a number of reasons) and/or ii) you're going to put in the hard work of campaigning for a Labour victory (which means pounding pavements or picking up the phone, not feeling good about yourself by going on a demo on a Saturday morning).

This is admittedly based on little more than a hunch, but I don't see many of these new members falling into either category.

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
I have slightly mixed feelings about Alan Johnson but would have been delighted with Chukka Umuna.

That's interesting. Why do you think that? Since they're both on the right of the party I would've thought most people would've gone for the ex-postman over the smarmy lawyer?
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed. People used to talk about Umunna as a British Obama. That's precisely why I don't like him. Great shame that Johnson's private life got messy at a crucial time.
Jon Cruddas would be my choice, tho' I don't think he wants it or at any rate would go for it.

[ 30. August 2016, 22:25: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Yes indeed. People used to talk about Umunna as a British Obama. That's precisely why I don't like him.

Or in Andrew Neil's famous put-down: in Washington they talk of Barack Obama as an American Chuka Umunna.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good for the brillo pad.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

It takes no time to put your name down t letter-box an area next Saturday afternoon. I'd be surprised if many of the Corbyn romantics who paid their 3 pounds have even thought of that.
Who's going to do that before they've even been introduced to the old-timers? There has to be some settling-in.
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
I have slightly mixed feelings about Alan Johnson but would have been delighted with Chukka Umuna.

quote:
That's interesting. Why do you think that? Since they're both on the right of the party I would've thought most people would've gone for the ex-postman over the smarmy lawyer?

Both very far ahead of a TV ad man.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Yes indeed. People used to talk about Umunna as a British Obama. That's precisely why I don't like him.

Because you don't like Obama? Either way it sounds odd not to like someone because of who other people liken them to.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Frankly My Dear, perhaps everything is done online now, but in former primitive times you went along and actually met people at the meeting at which you joined. It was pretty hard work not to volunteer for some letter-boxing, handing out leaflets in a local shopping centre or some such task.

--------------------

Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Frankly My Dear, perhaps everything is done online now, but in former primitive times you went along and actually met people at the meeting at which you joined. It was pretty hard work not to volunteer for some letter-boxing, handing out leaflets in a local shopping centre or some such task.

Meeting people at meetings is what I was referring to. These 'hellos' and 'getting to know yous' have to happen first.
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

IIRC though, Alan Johnson stood down as Shadow Chancellor because he knew he was out of his depth. Granted the bar for leader is currently very low ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frankly My Dear
Shipmate
# 18072

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
quote:

IIRC though, Alan Johnson stood down as Shadow Chancellor because he knew he was out of his depth. Granted the bar for leader is currently very low ...
Maybe, but that's not how the public had been perceiving him ... Whereas, with Balls, that's how he was perceived, and yet there was no budging him ... Oh well ...
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
Yes, this is the sort of thing I was driving at (in a perhaps less than clear way). If you're one of these many people who've just joined, it seems to me that you're only going to make a difference if i) you didn't used to vote Labour but now you are (and even then, that might not be all that, for a number of reasons) and/or ii) you're going to put in the hard work of campaigning for a Labour victory (which means pounding pavements or picking up the phone, not feeling good about yourself by going on a demo on a Saturday morning).

This is admittedly based on little more than a hunch, but I don't see many of these new members falling into either category.

Interestingly Owen Smith is winning by a country mile among people who were members of the Labour Party prior to May 2015 but is being tonked among those who either joined during the first leadership election or subsequently. I'm guessing that the new blood consists of a) people who were members of far left parties prior to 2015, b) ex-Greens c) former Lib Dems who supported the party on the somewhat implausible grounds that it was a party of the far left and d) people who buggered off at some point during the Kinnock/ Smith/ Blair era and now have their party back. Whether or not they are prepared to go out and pound pavements delivering leaflets is an open question But I am guessing that most of them don't really give a stuff about electability because 25% in the polls and 120 MPs (which is Labours natural floor, I am guessing) is so much better than anyone in a), b) or c) has been used to and category d) think that compromise with the electorate is the Sin Against The Holy Ghost.

I don't think that leafleting et. al. will be an issue. Labour now has something like 500,000 members so even if 2/3 of them are clicktivists this gives them nearly as many active members as the Conservatives have in total (c177,000) many of whom are frail and elderly. I think that the main problem will be piling up votes in constituencies where Labour cannot lose and losing them, in large numbers, in constituencies where they can and will.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think that the main problem will be piling up votes in constituencies where Labour cannot lose and losing them, in large numbers, in constituencies where they can and will.

A few months ago I was thinking it was quite possible that Labour might win the popular vote at the next election but end up with fewer seats than the Tories, for this reason.

I have to say this scenario (winning the popular vote I mean) now seems unlikely.

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would have voted Labour with either of these two fine men as leader. I never will with Corbyn and it would be unlikely with Smith as leader.

quote:
Interestingly Owen Smith is winning by a country mile among people who were members of the Labour Party prior to May 2015 but is being tonked among those who either joined during the first leadership election or subsequently.

This just goes to show that it was Ed Miliband's changes to the party constitution which have saddled it with the unelectable Corbyn. The £3 Trots really have changed everything.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Interestingly Owen Smith is winning by a country mile among people who were members of the Labour Party prior to May 2015 but is being tonked among those who either joined during the first leadership election or subsequently.

You're just quoting "Saving Labour" here. I can't find any actual polling data to back that up. What would be interesting is if you could.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
The £3 Trots really have changed everything.

£25 Trots, please... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

You're just quoting "Saving Labour" here. I can't find any actual polling data to back that up. What would be interesting is if you could.
I live to serve...

--------------------

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am one of the Corbyn loyalists, used to be political atheist with rather hard right inclinations in Scandinavia.

Rather frankly, having moved to the UK and seeing it with outside eyes, this country is FUBAR not because of either extreme socialism (or the risk of it) or necessarily extreme capitalism, but because of nimbyism and cronyism making it culturally and corruption-wise the Western European equivalent of Russia. Everyone is looking out for themselves solely, and is first and foremost making sure not to get stepped on by others.

That's why I've joined Labour. For me, as for seemingly many others, Corbyn is a way to break the cronyist system on both sides of the political fence. Sure, he has his leftist leanings and he sometimes misjudges situation (although with a former PM who caused Brexit in order to stay in power which might ultimately break the U in "UK", I'm not sure he's the worst on the playing field). Still, he's the best because he's not the rest. In my eyes, he has never gotten a single chance to prove his leadership because the cronyist, nimbyist prevailing order wouldn't allow him.

And I say this as someone who supported Cameron against Brown, and with a former right-wing party membership in Sweden. People like me join Labour, not just £3 Trots, in order to support the challenge of the existing cronyist, nimbyist order. I didn't support Labour before because whatever they were opposing under Ed Miliband, it never was the real problem.

And no, I don't think nationalisation of the railroads or removing the monarchy are the main reforms that the UK should undertake. I think rebuilding and modernising the entire rail structure is way overdue and that the monarch should be asked to protest the gerrymandering on both sides of the political fence. But Corbyn is the only candidate who represents a threat to the order of nimbyism and cronyism, which is the biggest roadblock against the necessary reforms without which the UK will become increasingly East European.

[ 31. August 2016, 19:01: Message edited by: An die Freude ]

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016