homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Do you follow your gut feelings

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Do you follow your gut feelings
GeorgeNZ
Apprentice
# 18672

- Posted      Profile for GeorgeNZ   Email GeorgeNZ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If your doing the vacuuming (or action of your choice) and someone comes to mind, do you stop and txt or call or email them, to see if there is anything specific happening for them that you should pray about?

I know this can make you kind of vulnerable and I have had situations where the person in question is a much more 'mature' believer than me (however such a thing might be measured), however whatever the outcome in most cases afterwards I have felt this is the right thing to do.

The only other related that comes to mind is if they say 'no' do you persist, or just pray for them anyway. Actually should you pray for people who say they don't want any prayer?

Posts: 40 | From: A land so far away | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends. You can pray for people without knowing what might be wrong with them, so unless the impression is very very strong, that's usually what I do. After all, there are plenty of natural and human reasons why someone might pop into your mind. So no, I don't usually call unless it's highly unusual. I just pray.

I also don't normally ask whether I may pray for someone--precisely because I don't know what I'd do if they said "no." I wouldn't want to disrespect them, but on the other hand, it would be very odd for me to refrain from talking about a particular concern with God. Like trying not to think of pink elephants.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Lamb said.

When someone (Christian or non-Christian) shares some tragedy or concern with me, I will sometimes ask "can I pray for you?"-- but what I usually mean is can I pray right here, right now. Most people of both persuasions will say yes, but some will say no-- which I usually take to mean "not now", as in they're not comfortable with praying or being prayed for out loud, or they're afraid they'll break down or whatever. So of course I honor that. But I've never really thought of anyone else's wishes restricting me from my own private prayer done quietly in my own space.

I figure I'm allowed to pray for whatever's on my heart, even if it's that I think someone's acting horribly and needs some divine correction (hmmm... who am I thinking of?). They, of course, are allowed to pray entirely contrary to that, and probably do. And the Almighty is free to respond to my and their prayers according to the divine will. That seems to be the kind of pattern for prayer we see in the Psalms-- I'm pretty sure the Babylonians didn't give permission for the Israelites to pray that their children would be dashed against the rocks, and the evidence suggests Yahweh wasn't really down with that prayer either. But they were free to pray what was on their hearts, even when it wasn't pretty.

Of course, the OP isn't really talking about ugly prayers like that, but rather loving prayers for people who perhaps don't pray. If it's OK to pray for someone's child to be dashed vs the rocks, I figure it's OK to pray good things in someone's life w/o their say-so.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personal experience: It is certainly not okay to bring up my personal and family trauma by phoning my home and asking me if you can pray for me when I am temporarily distracted from it. And you not being God, an angel or Jesus can't know that your gut isn't channeling a bit of your undigested supper. And don't sic the parish prayer team on us. We would also rather be left out if you want to do the church equivalent of a "power hug". Just bring over a casserole. And don't linger unless we ask you to.

Summary: saddle no one else with your gut feelings. Don't try to channel miracles or the Holy Spirit onto someone else. You aren't Jesus. You might be channeling some bits of yourself. The parts of Jesus you can do are the practical, kind bits. And don't tell everyone. Just the few.

[ 08. October 2016, 02:31: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
GeorgeNZ
Apprentice
# 18672

- Posted      Profile for GeorgeNZ   Email GeorgeNZ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Personal experience: It is certainly not okay to bring up my personal and family trauma by phoning my home and asking me if you can pray for me when I am temporarily distracted from it. And you not being God, an angel or Jesus can't know that your gut isn't channeling a bit of your undigested supper. And don't sic the parish prayer team on us. We would also rather be left out if you want to do the church equivalent of a "power hug". Just bring over a casserole. And don't linger unless we ask you to.

Summary: saddle no one else with your gut feelings. Don't try to channel miracles or the Holy Spirit onto someone else. You aren't Jesus. You might be channeling some bits of yourself. The parts of Jesus you can do are the practical, kind bits. And don't tell everyone. Just the few.

Wow there is a whole lot of angst and hurt there, and I apologise if my question has stirred it up. Most if not all of what you said was not even on my mind when I posed the question and not being a church goer I will certainly not send any prayer teams round. I guess this is an example of why I should stay away from asking what is on my mind, it seldom translate to print well.

Generally where I have followed this inkling I have not mentioned the word prayer but just 'touched base' and asked how things are.

And i agree whole hearted that I am not any of the people or beings you raised, I am just a slob on a bus trying to make my way home.

Pax

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Tiptoes in) NP, i think GeorgeNZ wasn't meaning situations where you hear about some tragedy or need and go barging in wanted or not. I think he's referring to those occasions when you're mowing the lawn or washing dishes and a sudden irrational feeling comes over you that makes you wonder if something has happened to Auntie X. You have no real reason to think so, but you probably won't feel completely easy in your mind until you hear from her that everything's okay. When it happens to me, I tend to wonder if it's the Holy Spirit nudging me or if I just shouldn't eat pizza for breakfast.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I do less that I used to (and have done it badly in the past).

But if I feel a reminder of someone and a prompt to pray I will pray. I don't think there is a problem with praying for someone like that.

I do tend to act on my gut feelings in general. I don't have much else to go on.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GeorgeNZ: no worries, just saying there's a great caution. It can lead in some bad directions if acted upon. I've become very sceptical of such things and can be overly sensitive about it.

( The ship allows rather direct discussion. Don't need to walk on eggshells with me. It's all fine. )

( what the spirit is saying to the church; call your aunt; what LC said )

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
GeorgeNZ
Apprentice
# 18672

Thank you NP and yes LC what you said.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re going on a purposeful visit, taking a casserole, etc.:

(Adding my personal experience to np's.)

And if you go to the home of someone grieving, do not insist on going in. If the person doesn't answer the door and you want to leave a casserole, call and leave them a message, so they know the casserole is there. And, if possible, put the casserole in something that doesn't have to be returned or something disposable.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If someone comes to mind strongly I usually hold them in prayer, but that is no different then my usual prayer cycle where I pray weekly for different people, their work, their family, or any needs that I know they have.

I live in a rural area and sometimes people must be airlifted from our smaller local hospital to the larger one further away. I usually stop and pray for safe journey for happy outcome when ever I hear the helicopter fly over.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

- Posted      Profile for A Feminine Force   Author's homepage   Email A Feminine Force   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re going on a purposeful visit, taking a casserole, etc.:

(Adding my personal experience to np's.)

And if you go to the home of someone grieving, do not insist on going in. If the person doesn't answer the door and you want to leave a casserole, call and leave them a message, so they know the casserole is there. And, if possible, put the casserole in something that doesn't have to be returned or something disposable.

This is my friend, Golden Key. She is practical, kind and wise. What a blessing she must be to those nearest and dearest.

On the OP's note, I don't usually act on my first gut feeling. I usually (but not always) wait for confirmation of the feeling which may come in the form of some external signal or event.

I also never pray for anyone outside my tiny circle of intimates (people who know I would be praying for them and who don't object) - unless specifically asked.

I trust that everyone's Soul knows what they need, and if they need my energy specifically, then they are welcome to it.

When asked to pray I always ask for an outcome that is most beneficial for everyone. I never ask for a specific outcome because I assume the Soul knows what outcome is most beneficial.

AFF

[ 09. October 2016, 10:22: Message edited by: A Feminine Force ]

--------------------
C2C - The Cure for What Ails Ya?

Posts: 2115 | From: Kingdom of Heaven | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AFF--

Thanks. [Smile] Actually, that was mostly based on my experience on the receiving end, when I was a kid. People insisted on making condolence visits, when that was the last thing that was wanted. Visits might be very comforting for some grieving people, in some situations; but sometimes you just need peace and quiet.

It's important to consider what the grieving person wants.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a matter of meandering memory, not magic. They're on your mind. You can always text them that: 'You were on my mind, how are you doing?'. If that happens 15 times a day ... don't. You're on the fritz. It's intrusive thinking. Believe me. If it happens once a week, OK. Not for the same person though. Unless they're reeeeal close.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you need to examine yourself very closely to make sure it is not your own need you are serving.

Part of my academy's pastoral care training is awareness of self. While in hospital recently I was disappointed that the visit from a chaplain resulted in me listening to her concerns. It seemed as though our roles were reversed.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
catnip
Apprentice
# 18638

- Posted      Profile for catnip   Email catnip   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeNZ:
If your doing the vacuuming (or action of your choice) and someone comes to mind, do you stop and txt or call or email them, to see if there is anything specific happening for them that you should pray about?

I know this can make you kind of vulnerable and I have had situations where the person in question is a much more 'mature' believer than me (however such a thing might be measured), however whatever the outcome in most cases afterwards I have felt this is the right thing to do.

The only other related that comes to mind is if they say 'no' do you persist, or just pray for them anyway. Actually should you pray for people who say they don't want any prayer?

I'd like to begin by saying that I would love to have you as a friend!

That said, I do believe that we are called to prayer for people who are in need or may soon be. But I do not think it is necessary to know what ails them and even if I spoke to them they may not divulge their concerns. So, I would pray for them regardless because that never hurts and is a beautiful thing. And I might call them later just to be friendly.

Posts: 17 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016