homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » cremation (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: cremation
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
One other less serious argument against cremation that I heard is that on the rare chance that your relative is officially canonized as a saint by Rome, cremation means denying the faithful opportunity for venerating their relics.

Has there been a saint canonized by Rome who was cremated?

Joan of Arc.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Not necessary, according to this thread. Just scatter it somewhere it won't cause ecological damage. New Jersey, say.

I could have sworn I read "theological damage."
Oh that's different. New Jersey, then.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
quote:
One other less serious argument against cremation that I heard is that on the rare chance that your relative is officially canonized as a saint by Rome, cremation means denying the faithful opportunity for venerating their relics.

Joan of Arc.
I had her in mind when I mentioned those burned at the stake, but there have been others as well.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably those burned at the stake would not have been reduced completely to ashes - IOW, there would be bones, at least, requiring burial, from which suitable relics could be selected.

This, I guess, applies only to Carflick martyrs!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Presumably those burned at the stake would not have been reduced completely to ashes - IOW, there would be bones, at least, requiring burial, from which suitable relics could be selected.

Actually, according to the Wiki article on Joan of Arc:

quote:
Eyewitnesses described the scene of the execution by burning on 30 May 1431. Tied to a tall pillar at the Vieux-Marché in Rouen, she asked two of the clergy, Fr Martin Ladvenu and Fr Isambart de la Pierre, to hold a crucifix before her. An English soldier also constructed a small cross that she put in the front of her dress. After she died, the English raked back the coals to expose her charred body so that no one could claim she had escaped alive. They then burned the body twice more, to reduce it to ashes and prevent any collection of relics, and cast her remains into the Seine River. The executioner, Geoffroy Thérage, later stated that he "greatly feared to be damned."

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
However, according to "Foxe's Book of Martyrs":

"John Noyes, a shoemaker, of Laxfield, Suffolk, was taken to Eye and at midnight, Sept. 21, 1557, he was brought from Eye to Laxfield to be burned. On the following morning he was led to the stake, prepared for the horrid sacrifice. Mr. Noyes, on coming to the fatal spot, knelt down, prayed, and rehearsed the 50th psalm. When the chain enveloped him, he said, "Fear not them that kill the body, but fear him that can kill both body and soul, and cast it into everlasting fire!"

"The ashes of the body were buried in a pit, and with them one of his feet, whole to the ankle, with the stocking on".

Delightful (not).

[ 31. October 2016, 15:16: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the date of his death, I take it that the unfortunate Mr. Noyes was a Protestant martyr. It's ironic, given his trade, that one of his feet was spared the burning, complete with stocking (but what happened to his shoe?).

I stand corrected re Joan of Arc. A proper job, indeed.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

- Posted      Profile for Crotalus   Author's homepage   Email Crotalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

St Maximilian Kolbe.
St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.

Posts: 713 | From: near the knacker's yard | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
From the date of his death, I take it that the unfortunate Mr. Noyes was a Protestant martyr.

If he wasn't, he wouldn't have been in Foxe's book.

A work much beloved of the peculiar kind of anti-hagiography enthusiast that a takes special delight in their own particular style of hagiography.

[ 31. October 2016, 20:11: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Once again, I've failed to pick up the salient point - thanks, Eutychus! I blame my medication.

I'd still like to know what happened to his shoe .....

IJ

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crotalus:
quote:

St Maximilian Kolbe.
St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.

[Overused]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother's ashes, in a wood she loved, seemed to have been much appreciated by stinging nettles when we revisited, so presumably provided some nutrition. I don't know about Dad's. I'll have to check sometime.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

slight tangent alert/

Intriguingly, there are relics of St. Maximilian Kolbe in existence (according to Wikipedia) in the form of hairs from his head, saved - perhaps with almost miraculous foresight - by his barbers, some years before the War.

IJ

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016