homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Who or What am I? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Who or What am I?
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, after months (years?) of posts defending the label "evangelical" and arguing for the classic Bebbington quad. as the defining element, as well as the historic evangelical tradition of progressive social activism, I give up. There's simply no use: the term has now irretrievably been lost, and if it wasn't before it will now inevitably be bound up with the racism, homophobia, misogyny and xenophobia of the Trump movement. That's not the worst thing that happened last night, but it is one thing.

So, I can't call myself "evangelical" anymore. But I still believe the same things-- that same "quadrilateral" of themes that are important to us (but not unique to us), and still feel affinity with the "tribe" of people I worship with (fortunately my particular expression of that showing the same disbelief and sorrow as the rest of us today).

So what am I/we? What new name will replace "evangelical" to describe politically left-wing/ theologically conservative folks like Tony Campolo, Greg Boyd, Shane Clairborne, Brian McLaren, Jen Hatmaker, Rachel Held Evans? Post-evangelical seems too reactionary-- too much defined by the movement we want to distance ourselves from. So what? Yes, I know we could all just say "Christian" but that smacks of the churches that call themselves "Eastside Christian Church" as if all the denominational churches in their neighborhood were something else. And labels do have uses, even as they can be burdens).

Personally, I'm trying out "Wesleyan" and like it for myself-- but it would exclude a lot of more Calvinist folks right when we're trying to be more inclusive. Thoughts?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emergent.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Emergent.

hmmm.... maybe. It was a popular term awhile ago, seems to be pretty passé today, but perhaps it will resurge in the vacuum left by the evangelical backwash. It feels a bit young to describe an old evangelical like me, but perhaps the young emergents will let me hang around as a sort of mascot.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunno about where you live, but "Wesleyan" is used around here to describe mega-church wannabes, the kind of place that has a "minister of parking".

There was, at one time, a "Wesleyan Methodist" congregation, but that folded up and disappeared a few years ago, leaving a weedy space that is for sale. And, of course, it had been a member of the United Church of Canada since 1925, so that "Wesleyan" had to be attached to "Memorial" on their sign.

But, yeah, the "Wesleyan" name survives on a group of oversized once-evangelical churches, now obsessed with money.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can take the Social Gospel from my COLD, DEAD HANDS!!!

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
You can take the Social Gospel from my COLD, DEAD HANDS!!!

Cold live hands please!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Dunno about where you live, but "Wesleyan" is used around here to describe mega-church wannabes, the kind of place that has a "minister of parking".

Really? In these parts "Wesleyan" basically means Methodist, or the tradition of which Methodist and, to a lesser degree, Holiness denominations are the main expressions.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

Really? In these parts "Wesleyan" basically means Methodist, or the tradition of which Methodist and, to a lesser degree, Holiness denominations are the main expressions.
Yeah, around here megachurches are usually generic evangelical (in every sense).

--------------------

Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure I understand the need to label oneself these days because as we have seen, labels we use are often wrongly understood or applied. I still love reading McLaren's A Generous Orthodoxy, which deals beautifully with different labels and recognises the differing journeys we are all on.

If I must have a label, I would suggest the most appropriate and flexible one would simply be 'a follower of Jesus'. Trouble is this would include a lot of people not at all like me, which may mean I have to make an effort to share fellowship - but that's the glory of the Kingdom of God.

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Felafool:

quote:
Not sure I understand the need to label oneself these days because as we have seen, labels we use are often wrongly understood or applied.
Because labels are a shorthand for describing our position. Right now a US Evangelical who wants a signifier which screams "NOT LIKE THEM" is merely being prudent.

My humble suggestion would be Kingdom Evangelical. I'd be sorely tempting to go for Confessing Evangelical and refer to the other lot as "The German Christians" but Cliffdweller is more charitable than I am, and the problem is that the FOCAs got there first.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Kingdom Evangelical.

Conjures up a) JWs and b) dominionism for me.

Most of the time, our church simply goes by its name, without any qualifier. If you delve into the small print on our website I think it says "protestant evangelical", which is true as far as our historic values and our worship style go. In the twelve years of our current incarnation, we've managed to escape having a specific confession of faith.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't this what the term "Open Evangelical" was coined for? Is that still in use?
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd want to go for "True Evangelical". Just to rub it in that that other lot have hi-jacked the name and turned it into something false.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes. Round here, 'Wesleyan' would be a word reserved for some rather unusual conversations - redundant between English Methodists, but useful when making connections with folks from the Church of the Nazarene or the Salvation Army, or drawing up demarcations with Calvinistic Methodists (! - AKA Welsh Presbyterians) from the wild (north) west.

The idea that a word belonging to such tiny remnants as ours might be used somewhere else in a mega-church context is quite peculiar!

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I'd want to go for "True Evangelical". Just to rub it in that that other lot have hi-jacked the name and turned it into something false.

A friend of mine once posited the spoof "Baptist baptist" denomination.

France's historic Reformed church merged with the Lutherans to become the "United protestant church", which sort of nastily implies (perhaps not too inaccurately) that everyone else is divided.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"How many churches are there in your town?"
"Well, there were two, but they merged, so now there are three..."

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Humble Servant:
Isn't this what the term "Open Evangelical" was coined for? Is that still in use?

It's never really gained any traction here on this side of the pond, but might work well for me because of my affinity for Open Theism (which I don't think is really what "Open Evangelical" means your side of the pond? But might be a good double play). But of course the vast majority of evangelicals, even the progressive ones I'm wanting to align with, would not be Open Theists.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not use "Not-the-Evangelicals-You're-Looking-For"? Like droids, you know.
[Biased]

And what in the heck is "those German Christians"? I can think of several lots.

What's a FOCA?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had very similar thoughts cliffdweller. Thus far I've tried to:

a) state that I am first and foremost a christian,
b) use 'evangelical' as a qualifier, to distinguish myself from some views/practices taken up by other christians.
c) show people what I mean by 'evangelical' by taking an orthodox (but not conservative) line on theology and a liberal line on ecclesiology and social issues (c.f. dead horses).

One is caught between trying to claim (postively) that we are part of a broad church that incorporates both liberal & conservative views, but on the other hand trying to distance oneself from those whose views we find obnoxious. This has been no more clear than the endorsements given to Trump by Americans who use the term 'evangelical' to describe themselves.

It comes down to "are we at opposite ends of the same spectrum or are we so far apart that we can't meaningfully say we are on the same spectrum?"

If anything, the term evangelical can only be held lightly. Though I still get annoyed when, merely beyond being 'not evangelical' there are criticisms by anti-evangelicals who use a guilty-by-association motif in making overly-broad accusations.

One is caught between two scriptures, even in the same book! If, per 1 Cor 5:11, one shouldn't associate with those who claim to be christians but persist in the named transgressions, what about those who endorese one (Trump) who does? Compare that with 1 Cor 12:22-23 and one find that Jerry Falwell is most distinctly a person will less (no) honour, but we're called to treat them even more respect.

It's bloody frustrating! [brick wall]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
[Biased]

And what in the heck is "those German Christians"? I can think of several lots.

What's a FOCA?

The German Christians I had in mind were the ones who supported Hitler in the 1930s.

FOCA is the Federation of Confessing Anglicans who kinda, sorta, broke off from the rest of the Anglican Communion over same-sex relationships.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
"How many churches are there in your town?"
"Well, there were two, but they merged, so now there are three..."

As few as that? [Devil] What about the "we're not them, nor them, nor the group who left, but the faithful remnant" group?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

We're the ones who split themselves all the way back to where we started...

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My preferred descriptor is "Open Evangelical",. but the problem is that "Fulcrum", the supposed covering organisation for Opens on this side of the pond, has been hijacked by those whose response to the main dead horse topic is something between openly hostile to real, foaming at the mouth, eye swivelling apoplexy. Please, God, give me your church back!!!

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
but on the other hand trying to distance oneself from those whose views we find obnoxious. This has been no more clear than the endorsements given to Trump by Americans who use the term 'evangelical'

You want a label that excludes those who aren't inclusive enough ?

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:

I believe 'liberal Anglicanism' has already been taken.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
[Biased]

A bit long for church signage, but worth the extra letters. Love it.
[Axe murder]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Wouldn't the result be that people failed to notice the church at all? [Biased]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of a bit of Edward Lear:

Who, or why, or which, or what, Is the Akond of SWAT?
Is he tall or short, or dark or fair?
or SQUAT,
The Akond of Swat?

Which is a little unkind to the Afghan tribal leader but was a reaction to the odd sounding name in the British press in the 1870s.

I'm not sure that any parachurch labels really have much meaning (indeed, even denomination labels may encompass a lot of variety) so I've never really understood the urge to use Evangelical. People believe so many different and opposite things that the term has been redundant for a very long time.

It feels like a moment to throw away old names and theological alliances and pick up new ones that suit better.

At the moment, I feel like a Christian who wants to be wherever Cornel West is.

--------------------
arse

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Claiborne himself seems to be settling on Red Letter Christians in line with the organisation/loose coalition. Not entirely sure it will catch on, unless it gets TLA'd or something.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russ wrote
quote:
[Overused]

That's what I mean about the glory of the Kingdom of God. It's not for us to decide who is in or who is out. We need to learn how to 'disagree well' (ABC) and find ways to be church together.

Aside - I used to be part of a church that had 4 words in the title (including the E word). I reckoned that only the word 'church' might have conveyed any sort of meaning to passers by (and even attenders!)

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
Mr Claiborne himself seems to be settling on Red Letter Christians in line with the organisation/loose coalition. Not entirely sure it will catch on, unless it gets TLA'd or something.

Yes-- he is very close with Tony Campolo who coined the term years ago, but as you say, doesn't seem to be catching on. And while I like the emphasis on taking Jesus' words seriously, I don't care much for the implication that every other kind of Christian doesn't. But perhaps when we're trying to distinguish ourselves from people who call themselves Christian and vote for racism, misogyny, homophobia and xenophobia, perhaps that's not too far off the mark.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the US, so far as many outside the communities, evangelical has become synonymous with bigot, and hypocrite.

I've been using nonconformist for years. From here, re the nonconformist conscience, you get this quote.

quote:
The "Nonconformist conscience" of the Old group emphasized religious freedom and equality, pursuit of justice, and opposition to discrimination, compulsion, and coercion.
That's me to a tee. I'm an old Dissenter. Well, old certainly. But I still use the term evangelical, largely because of the door I came in through.

[ 11. November 2016, 21:31: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
In the US, so far as many outside the communities, evangelical has become synonymous with bigot, and hypocrite.

....But I still use the term evangelical, largely because of the door I came in through.

That's my story as well. But this week I'm rethinking that, for the reasons you started at the outset.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The issue with "Red Letter Christian" to me is that the emphasis on the words of Jesus doesn't quite fit my evangelical emphasis on the whole of Scripture as supreme authority in matters of faith and conduct. The problem I have with those so-called "evangelicals" who support racism, sexism, homophobia etc isn't solved by emphasising the words of Jesus - I don't see how the rest of Scripture can be faithfully interpreted to support such evils either.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess for me an Evangelical is one who proclaims the gospel through word (emphasis on preaching) and deed (emphasis on social action). The content of what is preached will vary depending on the theological bent of the Evangelist. The emphasis on action/deed has its roots in the radical preaching of the prophets, which continued into the Christian era, starting with Jesus himself:

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour."

It is a pity it has become so narrowly defined in recent times. We must fight against it, must we not?

Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a name for it. The Social Gospel Movement. Not such a large thing in the US, had had much more effect in Canada right down to this day.

I can honestly say with a straight face that the Christian Left has had more time in power in Canada and more persistent and lasting influence in our policy than the Christian Right ever had.

There is a reason that a few of us joke that the NDP is just a collection of Prots and Trots.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the social gospel! I suppose the biggest change in my local congo has been a move away from the clothes peg on the nose attitude to the social gospel to the understanding that practical local community support by the church is not only respectable, it is essential for the life, work and witness of the place.

There's a good banner in the place. It says 'A church for the community because God loves'. The 'be separate' and 'cessationist' tendencies seem pretty much to have died out.

At the same time there is a sometimes uneasy co-existence between those who take different positions over hot button issues. We're working on that. The trend lines are good.

What bothers me in the US is that for evangelicals, the old red lines, (Trinity, Incarnation, the Person of Christ, Redemption, following Christ) almost seem to take second place to the conservative position on hot button issues. 'We must vote for Trump, despite his dubious moral history, because Hillary is pro-choice.' That might well have cost her the election.

cliffdweller, unless there is some hope of dialogue over these things, I think we have to grasp the nettle. There's great sadness in that, but there it is.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
What bothers me in the US is that for evangelicals, the old red lines, (Trinity, Incarnation, the Person of Christ, Redemption, following Christ) almost seem to take second place to the conservative position on hot button issues. 'We must vote for Trump, despite his dubious moral history, because Hillary is pro-choice.'

That is very well put and perhaps the best place from which to attempt dialogue.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The "Nonconformist conscience" of the Old group emphasized religious freedom and equality, pursuit of justice, and opposition to discrimination, compulsion, and coercion.
That's me to a tee. I'm an old Dissenter. Well, old certainly. But I still use the term evangelical, largely because of the door I came in through.
Same here (not sure about the age though!) - although I had a brief dalliance with a somewhat more theologically liberal stance.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is a name for it. The Social Gospel Movement.

I don't think the Social Gospel is quite what cliffdweller is talking about, though. Yes, there is some clear overlap, but when she talks about criteria like the Bebbington quadrilateral, it seems to me that the Social Gospel Movement only ticks some of the boxes of what she's looking for in a descriptive label.

Not that I have a better suggestion at this point.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

cliffdweller

This morning I had two excellent conversations with two members of our worship team. What we discussed were practical ways of strengthening the existing dialogue between moderates and liberals on the one hand, and conservatives on the other.

Painful though it is to say, I appreciate we can only take such steps if we have hope. Diverse pilgrims on the same journey does not make the journey easy. I think it's going to be worth it.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

quote:
quote:

I don't think the Social Gospel is quite what cliffdweller is talking about, though. Yes, there is some clear overlap, but when she talks about criteria like the Bebbington quadrilateral, it seems to me that the Social Gospel Movement only ticks some of the boxes of what she's looking for in a descriptive label.

My point is that Evangelicalism in Canada never got tied to right-wing politics. There were and are right wing evangelicals, sure, but they were always balanced by plenty of lefty ones too.

I put it down to the fact that our most fundamentalist, religion-dominated province that was at points tolalitarian was Quebec, which pushed Protestants in other directions.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
quote:

My point is that Evangelicalism in Canada never got tied to right-wing politics. There were and are right wing evangelicals, sure, but they were always balanced by plenty of lefty ones too. .
Until the 1970s this was true in the US as well. In fact, following the 2nd Great Awakening, evangelical Christianity was committed to progressive social action in ways that would make me proud today. All of that shifted after Roe v Wade when abortion became increasingly the one and only overriding political cause. I am passionately pro-life myself, but the way that single minded focus has tweaked us to end up where we are now is, quite simply, insane.

otoh, just as I'm ready to throw it all in and go for one of the alternate designations suggested above, I receive this letter from my alma mater (and leading evangelical seminary) that just might be enough to keep the designator:

Fuller Seminary statement

quote:
"As President and President Emeritus of Fuller Theological Seminary, we lament and reject the disgrace that hateful words and actions by some evangelicals have heaped specifically upon people of color, immigrants, women, Muslims, and LGBT persons in our nation, as we uphold the dignity of all persons made in the image of God. We grieve and condemn the racism and fear, rejection and hatred that have been expressed and associated with our Lord. Such realities do not in any way reflect the fruit of God’s Spirit and instead evoke the sorrow of God’s heart and of our own.

To whatever degree and in whatever ways Fuller Theological Seminary has contributed or currently contributes to the shame and abuse now associated with the word evangelical, we call ourselves, our board of trustees, our faculty, our staff, our students, our alumni, and our friends to repentance and transformation. We ground our hope for the church in Jesus Christ alone, and pray that in our humble reaffirmation of that faith, God will revive and renew the church in America to be evidence of God’s love, justice, and mercy for all people.

Evangelical has value only if it names our commitment to seek and to demonstrate the heart and mind of God in Jesus Christ. This calls us into deeper faith and greater humility. It also leads us to repudiate and resist all forces of racism, misogyny, and all other attitudes and actions, overt and implied, that subvert the dignity of persons made in the image of God. The only evangelicalism worthy of its name must be one that both faithfully points to and mirrors Jesus Christ, the good news for the world, and seeks justice that reflects the character of God’s kingdom."

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Excellent words from Fuller. Thank you for sharing.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felafool:
We need to learn how to 'disagree well' (ABC) and find ways to be church together.

For me disagreeing well includes using a label that doesn't make others think I'm a racist misogynistic homophobe willing to support fascists in the name of Jesus.

They can 'be church' and call themselves Christians wherever and whenever they want as long but I want to find a way of not tarring myself with the same brush.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Humble Servant:

I'd say Open Evangelical, Post Evangelical or Progressive Evangelical make most sense. It'd be nice to come up with a new word that everyone else can understand, but the hard part is getting other people to catch on.

First and foremost, I'd describe myself as a Follower of Jesus. If someone wants to nail it down more, then I'm a Christian. And if they want to nail it down even more, then a Protestant. Even more, then ok, the above will do.

But honestly, I'd prefer to describe my own Christian journey, that I grew up in the Charismatic Evangelical Anglican tradition, skipped around some non-conformist churches including house churches, and now I attend a both a Baptist and a Methodist church regularly. But my own theology overlaps all those and other traditions, and there are things I like and dislike about all of them.

I guess it's a bit like ethnicity. For a lot of people nowadays, to describe their heritage isn't as easy as saying "I'm French" or "I'm South African". People have a mishmash of cultures and ethnicity in their background. Sure, for some people it's easy to just say "I'm White British", just as it is also easy to say "I'm a Conservative Evangelical". For others though, just as our genes and heritage can have a lovely mixture of cultures and races and it might take a little while to explain that; so can our faith have a similar complexity too.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Thanks cliffdweller. I'm seriously thinking about doing a nice French translation of that.

I have also taken Barnabas' old red lines to heart and already started using them in conversation.

The key question for me is increasingly becoming "where do we ['old red line Christians', if you wish] go from here?". How can we continue to have meaningful Christian engagement with society as it lurches to the authoritarian right (US) or looks likely to be about to (France), and do so without simply becoming enslaved to another political constituency?

There are no easy answers to this, and hasty action is probably going to be wrong, but I think some new thinking is required.

FWIW, last Sunday my initial thinking took the form of this sermon (also in my sig at the time of writing).

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
quote:
I'd say Open Evangelical, Post Evangelical or Progressive Evangelical make most sense. It'd be nice to come up with a new word that everyone else can understand, but the hard part is getting other people to catch on.

[...]
Now I attend a both a Baptist and a Methodist church regularly. But my own theology overlaps all those and other traditions, and there are things I like and dislike about all of them.

It does seem about time for those on the moderate end of the evangelical movement to merge theologically with the moderate Christian (Protestant) mainstream. Not doing so seems to be a matter of branding; evangelicals want to retain a strong visible identity that's lacking almost everywhere else in modern Protestantism. The trouble is that this very prominence means the label's broadened out to include almost everything. That doesn't make much sense at this point.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barnabas62:
What bothers me in the US is that for evangelicals, the old red lines, (Trinity, Incarnation, the Person of Christ, Redemption, following Christ) almost seem to take second place to the conservative position on hot button issues. 'We must vote for Trump, despite his dubious moral history, because Hillary is pro-choice.'

That is very well put and perhaps the best place from which to attempt dialogue.
ISTM that many ordinary Christians have lost interest in basic theological ideas. These ideas represent the commonplace, uncontroversial staple of sermons, but the layman isn't expected to have much to contribute regarding whatever intellectual debate they inspire among theologians. The lack of focus on these things may also be a result of evangelicals (like other Christians) reading their Bibles less than they used to.

By contrast, the 'hot button issues' mostly represent lived, contemporary society. They have a bearing on what we experience today, so it's unsurprising if less learned evangelicals, or those who simply want to say something that relates tangibly to people's lives, are drawn to these issues.

(As for a 'dubious moral history', some would argue that both candidates faced this problem. Hillary lost out by being the boring continuity candidate.)

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

cliffdweller

Joining with Alan in my praise for the statement from the Fuller Seminary. Have they got it in the neck as a consequence of their principled statement?

I ask because, by coincidence, I just received an email from Tony Campolo, to whom I sent a warm message of thanks and respect. I did so because he's been getting it in the neck for his stance re the LGBT community.

I didn't expect a reply, but in the reply I did get, Tony told a a story I hadn't heard before. Here it is.

quote:
Many years ago, Abraham Lincoln was asked by a newspaper reporter how he felt about being “run out of town” for his stance against slavery. Lincoln responded by saying, “if it wasn’t for the honor of the thing, I wish they hadn’t done it!”
Honour is an interesting word in this context. I always count it an honour to stand with the marginalised, to stick up for them, and to take on the chin whatever the consequences are. But it always seems to me to be a great shame when others seek to bad-mouth us, or ostracise us, or exclude us for doing that; "run us out of town". You know, even if they are convinced we are wrong, that isn't the way to behave to fellow-citizens, even less so to brothers and sisters in Christ.

Sometimes it really is necessary to do a Martin Luther, say "here I stand, I can do no other", and find out what the consequences are. Then deal with them separately.

[ 15. November 2016, 14:10: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm impressed with the Fuller statement. Exactly what needs to be said!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016