homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Fr Max-Augustine Eggert, the leader of the group to which our shipmate Emli belongs, was killed earlier this week. He was charged by a bull on his property at Putty (near Sydney), gored and thrown, breaking his neck. Of your charity, pray for him, his family and his community.

[Votive]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 729 | From: the antipodes | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw that but did not connect the name. Horrible news.

Prayers for Emli and all those in that community.. May he rest in peace and rise in glory and may light perpetual shine on him.

[ 05. May 2016, 08:32: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa, very best wishes for you and Kuruman as you search for a new appointment. Sydney's out. of course.

Rowen that's excellent progress. Are you up to chopping the firewood yet? Good exercise generally and excellent for regaining balance.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh how dreadful, Lord have mercy. [Votive]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Zappa, very best wishes for you and Kuruman as you search for a new appointment. Sydney's out. of course.

I'm banned for a year. Actually I doubt I'll ever relicence - I've done a 29 year dash and it may be time to lay up my stole.

In any case after media exposure overnight I think my (former!) bishop will extend that year for life - with hard labour. He specifically stated that there was to be no media battle ... and then realised a cryptic, tantalising media release. [brick wall]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Mad] Bloody media. Limp-wristed bishop!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amend the post above to read spineless bishop.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa and Kuruman, you are much loved on these boards and in many other places - and with very good reason. You will always hold a deep place in our hearts and in our prayers.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, don't get me started on the compassion of the church...especially to its own workers.

Jesus wept.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who was it that said that the Church is the only organisation which kills its wounded?

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]
Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Zappa and Kuruman [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My love and prayers too.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back from Solomon Islands. And back to bad news from the land of the long white cloud. Prayers for you Zappa and for your family.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa and Kuruman [Votive] [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks everyone for your prayerful support at this time of mourning. The sudden death of Fr Max has left so many bomb craters of grief and bewilderment. As some of you might have read in the newspapers, Fr Max was killed by his own bull - he was not gored, as some reports said - but that is little consolation.

Please prayer for his wife Jane, their family, the community of Putty, and for the five Communities of Our Lady - worship communities now in shock and struggling on so many different levels. Please also pray for guidance and support for myself as Community Leader and the ministry team as we pastor to all (including each other).

Fr Max's requiem is being celebrated on Thursday next at 12 noon, at St Alban's Anglican Church, Epping. I feel that this is going to be one of the hardest funerals I've ever taken outside of those of my parents, and we all need all the prayers possible.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive]

Prayers for the fallen, and all those struggling with sudden loss.
May the Spirit carry you gently.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Worm in the Grass
Shipmate
# 10999

- Posted      Profile for Worm in the Grass   Email Worm in the Grass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To add to prayers. Sudden deaths are always a great shock. And also for Zappa and Kuruman [Votive] [Votive]

Hoping he attempt to push it over on a bishop. (But not my favourite retired one).

[brick wall]

--------------------
Christian satire attracts people who are serious about religion. It's a method of coping with the difference between what religion ought to be about and what it is. (Jengie Jon)

Posts: 273 | From: somewhere near Canberra | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Zappa & Kuruman

While Biggest now has his "P's", it would appear Mrs Curly and Middle have had an eventful driving lesson this afternoon, with the car ending up on its side after a slow-motion roll. All (physically) unharmed.

Not sure we'll be enjoying the 50th we are going to tonight quite as much as we were hoping to.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That woukd be a very unpleasant shock to the system. Hope they are both ok.

My eldest grandson, Biggest's age and year, spoke to me yesterday. Could he bring his two sisters to lunch tomorrow. His dad is in France and I Am not sure if he had asked his mother or even if this was his own idea. However, I was enthusiastic and will take everything else at face value. He has had Ps for a bit longer than your son and is a consistently careful driver who travels at traffic speed on freeway. Or whatever the latest name is for such.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're in good space ... though I'm in the Western Isles at he moment enjoying the love of six daughters ...

My prayers have been whispered too for Fr Max and all who grieve for him

[ 07. May 2016, 20:54: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Prayers continuing, Zappa. That's a lot of love available from your daughters. All good.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodness, Mr. Curly, that sounds more than a bit scary. Hope everyone is OK. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Oh gosh Mr Curly ... do be careful about delayed shock ... but it sounds as though you're aware of that

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
{{{{Zappa and Kuruman}}}}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Oh gosh Mr Curly ... do be careful about delayed shock ... but it sounds as though you're aware of that

Indeed. They seem OK today.

If it hadn't been for the upward slope of the footpath and the rock steps heading up to the adjacent house, it would have been a routine "kerb mounting" requiring a wheel alignment.

I think a video of it would look hysterical and make us a fortune on Funniest Home Videos. Alas

mr curly

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do hope that there is nothing serious and that shock does not set in. Where did it happen - the Comenarra or Lady Game Drive?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:

I think a video of it would look hysterical and make us a fortune on Funniest Home Videos. Alas

(sings) "always look on the bright side of life"

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

55 days election campaign! Heaven help us all. Far too long, even tnough there has been an unofficial campaign for a while.
Blerk!

--------------------

Worm in the Grass
Shipmate
# 10999

- Posted      Profile for Worm in the Grass   Email Worm in the Grass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes indeed Lothlorien. This is probably a good time to announce that Mr W and I are spending the next five weeks out of the country. France, then Mr W in Poland at a choir competition and me in Germany and then Enland and Wales. May start a shipment thread.

--------------------
Christian satire attracts people who are serious about religion. It's a method of coping with the difference between what religion ought to be about and what it is. (Jengie Jon)

Posts: 273 | From: somewhere near Canberra | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Sounds wonderful. Middle son is honeymooning in France and I am just off phone to them. They have had a couple of days in Bangkok, Paris for a couple of days. Driving around, now on way to Bordeaux. Another couple of weeks touring, then final week in Paris. Then back to Bangkok and home. Weather has been wonderful and son has been seeing how far his schoolboy French will go. Doing quite well, actually.

Enjoy your time away. I hope you have as wonderful a time as they are..

Edited to add: a shipmeet thread with some ideas of dates and places would be good.

[ 08. May 2016, 10:40: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Home last night from a weekend in sunny Napier.

A week ago it was 'Well, we won't see Zappa 'cos he'll be busy with the Synod and we'll be busy at the Progressive Spirituality conference.'

Now it's 'What if all the church hierarchy had to wear a "What Would Jesus Do?" bracelet (and not just the Anglican ones)?'

[Votive] Zappa and all his loved and loving ones.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Spent my 35th Mother's Day with my mother - who was having her 70th Mother's Day. Does somewhat put my efforts into perspective!

I don't even want to imagine another 35 years of family drama. [Razz]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
I do hope that there is nothing serious and that shock does not set in. Where did it happen - the Comenarra or Lady Game Drive?

Nothing so dramatic. Turning left onto Canoon Rd from Chisolm - in full view of the long line of traffic going the other way out of the netball courts after the last game had finished. [Hot and Hormonal] At least there were plenty of people to help.

They both seem to be OK. Awaiting news from the insurer.

mr curly

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Home last night from a weekend in sunny Napier.

A week ago it was 'Well, we won't see Zappa 'cos he'll be busy with the Synod and we'll be busy at the Progressive Spirituality conference.'

Now it's 'What if all the church hierarchy had to wear a "What Would Jesus Do?" bracelet (and not just the Anglican ones)?'

[Votive] Zappa and all his loved and loving ones.

GG

Ta ... as it happened I had long been shouldered out of any involvement in the hosting of synod ... I wasn't even on the planning committee for the liturgy at the cathedral, because after all why would the dean be asked to have a part?

Which would just perhaps make me wonder if my departure wasn't somewhat prearranged. But why would I think that? After all, all church processes are clear, transparent, and just as Jesus would do. [Disappointed]

And do I care that I out myself and my thoughts? Nah.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Yes, plenty of people to help right your car, and to embarrass poor Middle. Must have ruined his party plans for the evening.

Seriously though, we are remembering them. It looks as if there will be no after-effects.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Sounds wonderful. Middle son is honeymooning in France and I am just off phone to them. They have had a couple of days in Bangkok, Paris for a couple of days. Driving around, now on way to Bordeaux. Another couple of weeks touring, then final week in Paris. Then back to Bangkok and home. Weather has been wonderful and son has been seeing how far his schoolboy French will go. Doing quite well, actually.

Your son seems to be travelling pretty quickly. Tell him to slow down and enjoy France. He should not rub in the French loss at Agincourt though. Still a cause to hate the English in some parts.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have said that to him re speed. He has spent a couple of nights in the one place. I had no input into itinerary so it is a surprise to me too. He has broken journey to Bordeaux for a couple of nights. Not one long dash.

[ 09. May 2016, 10:02: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is possible to do Barcelona to Caen with just one overnight stop - you see a lot of road! Toll roads may be swift but a road is a road is a road!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I'm not talking about speed in the kph sense, but in the pace that they are travelling through a beautiful part of the world. Nantes to Bordeaux is 14 days minimum.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It depends on how much time you have available, I suppose.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Up to a point, up to a point.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Dear Goddess it's cold and miserable in Melbourne!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

But you already knew that! 7 degrees in Sydney but morning temps are varying at my place lately from down there up to 15.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Fire on here. Definitely on at Rowen"s! Yes, snowfalls have happened in Tassie and Victoria. All we had was fresh wind and showers. TP is happy because after a long dry autumn, the tanks are full again, and he is in his temperate climate comfort zone at last.

Today I will be visiting my mother who has had no phone line for nearly a week. This has upset various members of the far flung family who wanted to call her on mother's day. This needs sorting out.

I really understand why those in aged care facilities get so ticked off with the attitude "Well, they've got nothing to do, and all day to do it, so they can wait some more."

The worst part is knowing it is my largely generation doing this to them. When we are in the same situation (and there will be many more of us), I doubt we will have the same patience. But if what goes around comes around we will be in deep trouble.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Yeah, it's been a bit cold here in the Alps" said Rowen, sardonically.

[ 10. May 2016, 22:02: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Snow overnight Rowen?

These mornings are just the best for breakfast. The sun is low enough to come in under balcony above and fill my loungeroom. I am sitting here enjoying warm sun on bare feet. It istill around 7 degrees here, possibly our coolest morning this year, but lovely. Autumn has been too hot.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a bit cooler here – I wore a warm jacket when I went for my walk along the stream in the bush*. And lots of rain at last.

And on sunny days the sun is low enough to stream through the living room windows and make it really warm.

*Why do the medical professionals always ask 'how long did you walk for?' rather than 'How far did you walk?' From where I park my car to the picnic ground, it's half a kilometre. I tried doing it really briskly yesterday; it took 7-8 minutes and I got a bit puffed but I reckoned it was good cardio stuff for an oldie – 4 km an hour, eh? But I walked back more slowly, and stopped to watch the water and listen to the birds. What sort of exercise is strolling?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

No snow in my town, but friend and I drove up to our two Victorian ski resorts.... And drank hot chocolate, took photos of snow, marvelled at the fog, and generally were cold and excited!

Mind you, very cold in my town too! Just not that cold.....

[ 11. May 2016, 10:18: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016