homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wet and wild but safe where we are - 300mm of rain in our rain gauge. Trees and power lines down around the place on Sunday. As we drove to church on both Sunday morning and Sunday night, we thought we should really be staying at home.

Car hunting continues - checking out a small used Volvo station wagon today. Can I come up with something that the kids would be less happy driving? It's a challenge I am willing to accept.

mr curly

[ 06. June 2016, 20:30: Message edited by: Mr Curly ]

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tasmania has experienced some horrific weather conditions over the past few day which is not over yet. There has been loss of lives, stock and property and as I type one of the suburbs near me is being evacuated as the flood surge approaches. Please pray for all here- it is very scary and tragic for many.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
... Can I come up with something that the kids would be less happy driving? It's a challenge I am willing to accept.

Over in Blighty this is reckoned to be a bit of a joke.

Having said that, it's what D. drove when I first met him, and I still married him. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bib - prayers for you and fellow Taswegians affected by the severe weather. We were lucky, some nearby not so, with substantial branches and trees down.

Mr Curly, not sure just how old a Volvo wagon you're looking at. Madame had a V40, from memory 2003, could have been 2004, for many years and was very satisfied with it. It had the 2 litre 4 cylinder, with the low pressure turbo. Plenty of power but good economy. She then gave it to Dlet as it had no trade-in value worth thinking of. He was off his green P plates at the time, so the turbo was no problem. He still uses it, at something approaching a quarter million kms, and sees no need to change. This may give you some help.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It doesn't matter what car it is: if it belonged to an older relative or was bought by them it is usually considered pretty naff. At least the Volvo is one of the safer options to survive in. These days providing a Kia or a Golf is only a step better than giving your offspring a people mover to tool about in. Shock horror.

B4 was adamant her first car had to be a Mitsubishi Lancer. Must have been a thing with her, because when she was eventually able to buy a new one, she went for the same.

Lovely news on our patch is that B4 is now wearing an engagement ring, after a most romantic weekend proposal. It was a big surprise for her, although the young gentleman had called on TP last week to ask his permission for our youngest daughter's hand in marriage.

Sweet.

More importantly as parents we think they are good for each other. I guess there is something to be said for watching all her other siblings making some unfortunate choices!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That’s lovely news BL. Especially after the last few days of storms, drownings, destruction and similar.

Bib, Tassie floods and weather were on news last night here, as well as all the destruction along the coast in NSW and Sydney..

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to B4 and the future Mr. B4!

On the subject of Volvo estates, the only car I've actually owned* was my dad's old Volvo 145, which looked like this and was, quite simply, the most beautiful car in the history of automotive transport. [Smile]

It may not have been "cool", but it had been in the family for 15 years by the time I got it, and I'd grown up with it. It nearly broke my heart to sell it when we got married and decided we probably couldn't afford to look after it.

* I've been part-owner of several cars since we married, but the Volvo was the only one that was actually mine - my dad signed it over to me when he retired and bought a smaller car, but wanted to keep the big one in case he wanted to move anything heavy. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Beautiful" is not the word I would have chosen, but certainly an excellent design - sensible shape allowing plenty of space for driver, passengers and luggage/shopping/what you will. The same with the following 2 and 7 series. Also well built and very comfortable. All in all, a sharp contrast to what the UK factories were not exactly churning out at the time. They and the V40/S40 I linked to are keeping well, Rarely do you see a ratty one, so obviously they were well made to start with. The same applies to Subaru Foresters although they grew rather too large over the years.

Congratulations to B4.

[ 08. June 2016, 08:02: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are also celebrating that B4 and partner arrived at the weekend family luncheon in one piece. A car with trailer in front of them jackknifed and spun completely around their car on the wet road. All people involved unscathed. B4's car (fiancé was driving it) was ok. Other car and trailer totalled. Later the same day I drove past a car that had subsided with the road shoulder and emergency services were busy extracting it.

Only absolutely essential driving will be done by us over the next few days as the wet weather returns. B4 has declared she needs to do a defensive driving course, as she doubts she would have handled the situation like her partner. Very sensible.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Down in Sydney yesterday. Night prior, at Wolli Creek (who'da thought that place could have so many tall buildings? I remember when it was trees and water) had to wade through water to get to the motel!
Back to the 'Bri and this morning drove down to GonnaDar. Yeah, cos I needed more travel.
Made it back though so it wasn't all bad.
Oh, hang on!
Yesterday was an all day meeting and today was..... an all day meeting.
Someone shoot me!

[ 08. June 2016, 11:44: Message edited by: ozowen ]

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ozowen, that area regularly floods in heavy rain. Railway line and the tunnel section at Bexley flood. I think it is Bexley. The last time we had substantial rain, Bardwell Park railway line had water on the station platform, quite deep, even that high up. Earlwood Bardwell Park RSL club, between Wolli Creek and train line was badly flooded not long ago and possibly copped it again. Ruined cellars and equipment.

You have noticed that area has changed to big buildings. More concrete and more run off.

Wolli Creek probably also contributes. It is chockers with man made rubbish, dead trees which catch stuff floating downstream and plants which should be cleared out. Willows, invasive weeds etc. Water just can't get away.

At least part of the creek is protected but the whole area needs investigating and managing by someone who knows what needs to be done and who can get things done.

[ 08. June 2016, 12:03: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Your post deserved a proper answer, not just an addendum at end of my reply to Ozowen.

That must have been scary for everyone. Amazing no one was hurt.

Road surfaces could be weakened by water movement, even though rain has basically stopped. I think you are very wise to avoid driving for a while.

Did you see the woman, from Canberra I think, who drove through two roadblocks and then on to a flooded road. She had to be rescued and after rescue was breathtested and found to be over the limit. She was charged.

Lots of pleas from police, SES, RFS etc for common sense to be used and for motorists not to drive on flooded roads even if water appears shallow.

[ 08. June 2016, 12:13: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unseasonably fine and mild here On The Leading Edge. But I believe your 'stralyan wet is coming. Kuruman as it happens is in the Northern Rivers NSW region (with another occasional frequenter of this theread, who shall remain nameless but is named after a river in the Northern Rivers NSW region [Biased] ) at the mo ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Forgot to mention ... had a job interview yesterday ... we'll see how it goes

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Forgot to mention ... had a job interview yesterday ... we'll see how it goes

[Votive]

(If I ever attend a church service where you're officiating, I'll be sure to wear my Ship name tag.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
"Beautiful" is not the word I would have chosen, but certainly an excellent design - sensible shape allowing plenty of space for driver, passengers and luggage/shopping/what you will. The same with the following 2 and 7 series. Also well built and very comfortable. All in all, a sharp contrast to what the UK factories were not exactly churning out at the time. They and the V40/S40 I linked to are keeping well, Rarely do you see a ratty one, so obviously they were well made to start with. The same applies to Subaru Foresters although they grew rather too large over the years.

Congratulations to B4.

I owned two Volvos. A 245 for 7 years and a 265 for 8 years. The 245 had almost 400,000 k's on the clock when I sold it and the 265 almost 300,000. The 265 had a love affair with petrol, it couldn't get enough of it!! We loved both of them, they were used as work horses, helped shift lots of friends, picked fire wood and even slept in on the odd occasion.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Zappa, hope all goes well for you. That river and partner are good support for you and Kuruman.

We had a 265 wagon for some years. Very comfortable, a bit daggy as to reputation but useful and a good size. It was a thirsty beast.

[ 08. June 2016, 22:48: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] Zappa [Votive]

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa [Votive]

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis the Menace:
I owned two Volvos.

Moi aussi .. though both mine were 850s ... the one, in QLD (still sitting in a shed on a property near Wankydilla) a more prosaic conventially engine four speed auto, but the other, possibly soon to come back to me, is a delicious five speed manual turbo nom nom nom ...

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

The other ... ... still sitting in a shed in QLD [Help]

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry, and I know I'm intruding by....ooo about 12000 miles.....but I really can't believe there is a place called Wankydilla.

I regret to say I am chortling. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
I'm sorry, and I know I'm intruding by....ooo about 12000 miles.....but I really can't believe there is a place called Wankydilla.

Where have you been? W has been (in)famous for many years! [Smile]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Of course, Rexory.

How about Genoo Genoo. You will need to look up the pronunciation of that one. A bit like some names from what was often known down here a century as the old country or home.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:

And a fine place it is. Though it's been nearly three years since I was last there [Tear]

[ 09. June 2016, 23:58: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I love silly place names, which is probably just as well, as about 10 miles from where I grew up is a place called Twatt, and here in Newfoundland we've got Heart's Delight, Heart's Content, Conception Bay and, of course, the incomparable Dildo.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...and, of course, the incomparable Dildo.

I guess that comes in handy when you can't get to Intercourse.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

[Killing me]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a town not too far from me called Naff.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
quote:

Quotes file! [Overused]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
quote:
quote:

Quotes file! [Overused]
Thanks, Piglet -- my first time! (And thanks for getting my gender correct.)
[Big Grin]

--------------------
~Tortuf

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Quotes file! [Overused]
Thanks, Piglet -- my first time! (And thanks for getting my gender correct.)
[Big Grin]

I guess you wouldn't be in Love, though you could Climax. (FWIW, I have been to both towns. The Climax United Church had a sign for years which simply said Climax United. They weren't as charismatic as that might sound.)
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

We really are glancing around the double entendre map of the world, but when I checked the Intercourse website I was amused by the absolute eschewal of such ambivalence ... to write so clinically of a place without even a hint of double meaning was an art ... especially when they got to
quote:
It [Intercourse] refers to the “fellowship” or social interaction and friendship which was so much a part of an agricultural village and culture at that time. These roots mark the community of faith to this day, and the many evidences of it are experienced by those who care to dig a bit more deeply while visiting this area
which was clearly written by an Amish scribe with no awareness of antipodean linguistic nuances.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

The bit about roots reminded me of the Australian Open commentary by Jim Courier using that word about women players and his favourites. He gets pulled up in the press every year for it but still does it.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

The Australian Constitution, s92, prescribes that trade, commerce and intercourse between the States is to be absolutely free. A source of amusement to law students, and in the first 60 or so years after federation a good source of income for constitutional law lawyers.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have an 18 year old in the house as of today. How did that happen?

No Volvo for us. A 3-year-old Hyundai i30 wagon will be joining the family to do the hard yards as the kids' shared car for some years to come.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A few busy weeks. Over the weekend I officiated at the burial of the only Territorian killed in action in the Vietnam War. His body finally brought home after 51 years. Service at the Cathedral on Saturday, followed by reinterment in the War Cemetery south of Darwin on Sunday. Military bearer party, Last Post, a final farewell by a mate who was with him on the day he was killed. Tomorrow (Monday) is definitely a rest day.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had to look around the Intercourse site.
Now I'm not the sort of person to find wordplay amusing.... but I nearly choked on
"Some suggest that “Entercourse” gradually evolved into “Intercourse”."

Up until then I just thought it might be due to the Amish penchant for woodwork and screws.

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by ozowen:
Up until then I just thought it might be due to the Amish penchant for woodwork and screws.

Not so sure about the woodwork...
[Biased]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When the Virginia Tourist Board came up with the slogan, "Virginia is for lovers", someone started selling bumper stickers saying, "Virginia is for lovers, but Pennsylvania has Intercourse".

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

In Roger Water's album "Amused to Death" there is a song "It's a Miracle"

"They had sex in Pennsylvania, a Brazilian grew a tree. A doctor in Manhatten saved a dying man for free.
It's a miracle."
apparently the bit about Pennsylvania is not all that impressive.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a bit cold in the Victorian Alps!
I am learning what it all means to live here

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
We have an 18 year old in the house as of today. How did that happen?

No Volvo for us. A 3-year-old Hyundai i30 wagon will be joining the family to do the hard yards as the kids' shared car for some years to come.

mr curly

My nearly 18 year old rang at the weekend. If he came and did some work, would I pay him? So he arrived to tell me he needed to buy J a present, it was their first anniversary! First he had lunch. At least he made it himself. Four eggs scrambled with most of the mushrooms I had, three leftover sausages, some tomato, something else I have forgotten and two bottles of good gingerbeer.

I set him to work but forgot to ask him to clean the bath which meant it was up to me.

Like yours, he is in year 12 with no idea of next year. He is quite bright but not academic. Captains various teams, has been a prefect for two years and has good leadership skills developed from captaining a state team for several years.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mum always said that the boys had hollow legs at that age.

[Smile]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by ozowen:
In Roger Water's album "Amused to Death" there is a song "It's a Miracle"

"They had sex in Pennsylvania, a Brazilian grew a tree. A doctor in Manhatten saved a dying man for free.
It's a miracle."
apparently the bit about Pennsylvania is not all that impressive.

The bit about Andrew Lloyd Webber's fingers is reasonably emphatic.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Helping my co-executor at last inspect the Grandad's masterwork yesterday, his very detailed catalogue of around 20,000 classic Egyptian postcards using the now obsolete Apple software he started on some years ago. We matched the computer file with the big fat folders of printouts, and were amazed and much moved to discover a pencilled addition on the paper file had been added to the computer file the day he died last November.
Still remembering him in his La-Z-Boy with the MacBook on a reading table, talking about our next trip to Matarangi – and glad that we had been there not long before.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Memories, GG, memories. Bittersweet.

Today is the anniversary of SIL's death, leaving my brother and her son, still in primary school. After a few rather rocky years, he is doing well, has a steady girlfriend and job and is about to start a Masters degree at ANU next semester.

[ 15. June 2016, 23:24: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016