homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whispered prayers for both the previous ... [Votive]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A recognition for the likes of Rowen in the NSW Synod of the Uniting Church, where one of the speakers said:
"One of Jesus' favourite words was 'go'. Go into the world preaching and making disciples. Go and heal the sick , visit the lonely, feed the hungry. Go and Love. Go and serve. And that's what our rural and remote minsters do. They go out into the world and meet the needs of the people where they are. But we can't do this if the Church as a whole cannot support this ministry."

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And despite not taking a second pair of crocs with her, I hope Rowen has some thick woolly socks!!!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tukai, my thanks.... It was very kind of you to post them thus. It's what I try and do. God gives me strength.

And the ability to cope with cold!

And oh, BL, I left home two days ago, for an early meeting..... 8am, -8. Lunch time, we reached 0.

Last night, 8... Positively tropical!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
And despite not taking a second pair of crocs with her, I hope Rowen has some thick woolly socks!!!

I'm sorry, but I don't think you'll see me knitting on the train. It's close on 60 years since I last knitted and I'm a bit rusty - as the needles probably are also.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best thing ever on my feet are hand knit woollen socks. So comfortable.

I will say that knitting socks on public transport gets both comments and puzzled looks.

The best was a couple of years ago in a train to central coast. An old lady who was originally from Latvia cried when she saw my socks. She had made them for her husband and sons, all dead. She had no idea what a cult following handknit socks have among knitters. She was glad to hear it was not a moribund art,

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

I will say that knitting socks on public transport gets both comments and puzzled looks.

The best was a couple of years ago in a train to central coast. An old lady who was originally from Latvia cried when she saw my socks. She had made them for her husband and sons, all dead. She had no idea what a cult following handknit socks have among knitters. She was glad to hear it was not a moribund art,

My partner and I are avid knitters. We were travelling to Armidale on the train back in the 80's and as it was a long journey we each broke out our knitting. The guard was most intrigued to say the least. He wouldn't speak but slowed down each time he passed through the carriage to have a look. K was having trouble doing some button holes so I helped him. The little old dear in front was itching turn around and also help but she too wouldn't speak. We must have been intimidating!!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps they worried that the two of you were like Madame Defarge, secretly encoding the names of people to be killed.
[Snigger]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

There are few achievements as satisfying as a well-turned heel.
I knitted many pairs of thick woollen socks for all four of us, not just for winter cosiness but more for comfort when tramping in the summer. The other day I took all that had been piled in a cupboard for years to Downtown Community Ministry, who will surely have clients with cold feet.

GG

[ 17. June 2016, 08:48: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
knitting nannas

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The centenarian who said the secret to a long life is 6 gin and tonics a day!!!! How do you get the time for that?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
The centenarian who said the secret to a long life is 6 gin and tonics a day!!!! How do you get the time for that?

How come I've got to 83 without ever drinking one?
Never touched a drop of spirits except the Glenlivet.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah yes, the satisfaction of a well turned hee and the amazement to onlookers of a rightangle bend in the knitting.

A funny story in anextremely unpleasant week.

Back in about 2006, knitting kept me sane and sort of balanced as my life fell apart. I used to knit on the back deck which was covered,

I went out once, feeling miserable, picked up the sock I was working on. Did a bit and decided by the weight on my fingers that it must be time for the heel. Worked it, and proceeded down the foot. Something did not feel quite right so I held it up to inspect. I had a long tube of knitting with two opposing right angles a couple of inches apart. I had done the heel twice. It looked extremely odd.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have huge admiration for anyone who can knit anything, let alone turning a heel. My only piece of useful knitting was done in 1980; it was one of those chunky Icelandic Lopi sweaters that were much in fashion at the time (rather like this). The pattern wasn't as hard as it looked; it was knitted on a circular needle with almost completely plain stitches, and the diamond shapes were formed by alternating numbers of stitches between dark and light-coloured wool.

It was helped by the fact that (a) I got my mum to do the difficult bits like grafting sleeve-holes; and (b) my sister and brother-in-law were home on holiday while I was knitting it and started working on it while I was at school.

In fact, she was so taken with it that she bought wool and needles and made one for him, and with the left-over wool made a little one for my nephew (who was a rather large bump at the time). I doubt that he ever wore it; the Lopi wool is a bit tickly and maybe not quite the thing for a new-born!

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have just done the postal vote for coming election which can't come soon enough. Three weeks is longer for a campaign than I like, seven is far too long.

There was a comment made about a tablecloth size for senate election some time ago. This one has around 150 names for NSW, but was more like a teatowel than a tablecloth. Things have been changed so if you vote below the party line, you now need number only 1-12.

However, I gain some perverse pleasure in working out the last twenty or so names to consign to final places. Form has been witnessed and sealed and DIL will post it at box outside where she is staying now.

The sitting member here is Liberal. I have never heard his name, nor seen mention of anything he has done or attended, He did not get my vote..

I see that ex Mr L is not standing this year for the oddball, supposedly Christan group he stood for last election. The received few votes and he may well have lost his deposit. The group has only two standing this election instead of three.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even oddballs gotta have someone to vote for [Smile] .

This year we have our Local Body elections. So far no one has announced they will be opposing the sitting Mayor, which is OK in my book. Several were hoping that the personally nasty comments that had been made about her would discourage her, so that they could have a clear run, but yahboo sucks to them [Razz]

Huia - a mature voter.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Three weeks is longer for a campaign than I like, seven is far too long.

My feelings also. A recent cartoon by Pat summed it up. It showed a woman selecting the colour of paint that she wanted to watch dry on one wall, while behind on the other wall was a TV screen saying "Election coverage".

Our friends across the ditch do this rather better. I was in NZ for the election of 2011, which was called for 3 weeks after the Rugby World Cup (held that year in NZ). The pollies all knew that no-one in NZ would pay them any attention while the RWC was on, and so the campaign (such as it was) was all done and dusted in 3 weeks, and the result then announced the day after the vote.

But I pity our unfortunate American shipmates who have had 12 months of "campaigning" already (60+ pages on the Ship's thread!) and still have not even reached the formal nomination of candidates!

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Tukai, it seems that if either party gets enough rope, it will hang itself. Both have been doing a good job, especially Sophie Mirabella who has foot in mouth disease in her attempt at re election. No loss in my books, and friends in the electorate are happy to never see or hear her again.

Much prefer our normal shorter campaign.

[ 19. June 2016, 23:53: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snow has been forecast for later in the week, around here, even if not here... It would be fun if it does do so here though. Everyone is wandering around talking about it snowing...

Work sent me chains this week. Compulsory to carry, and to use if so directed. And ice-crapers, anda thermal blanket etc. I ordered thermal underwear, and it has come too. Yay!

A friend and I are warm and cosy inside. Outside looks dark and very wintery.

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"I ordered thermal underwear, and it has come too. Yay!...A friend and I are warm and cosy inside.: [Eek!]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know I'm displaying my ignorance here, but it does sound very strange to my northern-hemisphere ears for Australians speaking about snow and thermal vests; our perceptions of Australia are all Bondi Beach and the outback, neither of which conjures up visions of snow.

When we had the obligatory visit from Australian relatives that all British families had in the 1970s, I remember being very puzzled when a couple of cousins* (probably then in their 20s) said they'd never seen snow.

* I'm not quite sure which part of Australia they came from; I think all my relations are in either Adelaide or Sydney.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

The high land in Tasmania gets snow annually. The same happens on the mountainous area immediately north of Melbourne extending up the Dividing Range past Canberra to the Northern Tablelands area of NSW and perhaps even into southern Queensland. Rowen's present parish is in that area north from Melbourne.

Snowfalls in Canberra are brief and the snow does not last long. I don't know about Melbourne, but there is a photo taken in the early 1880s showing snow on the northern shores of Sydney Harbour - can't give you a link. About 50 years before then there had been a similar fall. About 30 years ago, we had a flurry of snow in suburbs around us one Saturday afternoon. It suddenly got very cold after a shower of light rain. About 5 minutes later, there was snow (or a reasonable substitute) for about 10 minutes. It had largely gone by nightfall.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahem. The Snowy Mountains high country area (aka the Snowies) is well known thanks to a poem by Banjo Patterson - The Man from Snowy River - and the fact it has the highest mountain in Australia - Mt Kosciusko. It is where all the snow bunnies head each winter. And yes there is snow. Some years more than others. Plenty of it this year, so far. Snow season always begins on the Queen's birthday weekend.

So in June we think of the Queen and grow cold. Winter is coming! Lots of snow predicted over the next few days. The wind is icy here in the nation's capitol.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks for the information, folks - I'm now a less unwise piglet.

BL, stay safe when your snow arrives. [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

There was a lengthy segment on Landline last weekend about high country cattlemen. i was interested at first because of agriculture studies. Then drawn in by the scenery. I know there is controversy about cattle in the high country, but these were in superb condition, sleek and well fed. They were being led up the mountain by members of the old family farmers.

Not only were the cattle in superb condition, but the land was also. I am sure there will be patches of erosion etc, but I could show you plenty of that out of Goulburn or Bathurst too.

Lots of experienced horsemen and their dogs. I was particularly taken by the small boy with a felt hat and a drizabone or similar brand. On a pony which he rode carefully, he was perhaps five. There was a girl a bit older and another girl about ten.

They drove the cattle down the main street of Dargo, not that far from Rowen geographically, but further by road, I guess.

[ 21. June 2016, 23:04: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Just to note....
I only moved here this year, so everything is new and exciting.
And cold.
Dargo is not part of my parish, but a couple of hours drive away. Cute town. fabulous pub food. Divine own label wine.

Our snowfields are such that winter Olympic teams from the northern hemisphere come here and use our winters, ie northern summers, for practice. Good deep snow, and hopefully lots this year.
Major tourist industry here in my world.

And yet, I have had overseas visitors calmly tell me I am telling untruths when I speak of this. A French family tried to convince me that Oz snow was only part of a government conspiracy and didn't really exist. The government apparently used giant PowerPoint on the mountain ranges. Riiiiiiigggghhhhtttt.

[ 21. June 2016, 23:42: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Wonderful article on the Treasure family in the high country - a book has been written highlighting the cattle keepers of the high country. Many generations of these women know as much about good cattle raising in the mountains as the men. Was rather astounded that they don't have to work hard to muster. They have trained their cattle to respond to the call of "SA-A-A-A-LT". Not much natural salt in the high country and salt licks are a major treat for them. The cows come running for it.
Smart ladies.

[ 22. June 2016, 00:15: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I saw that book on ABC. THe author was also the photographer.

Two hours, Rowen, to Dargo? Not surprised. I knew it would be a lot further than the crow would fly from your place to Dargo.

Salt licks are well known bribes for farm animals, especially with molasses in them.

Edited to add link from ABC and a short video, about a minute long.

For those who do not know, the title mentioning women in particular is a play on the title of Banjo Paterson's poem, The man from Snowy River. High country women

There was movement at the station....

[ 22. June 2016, 02:18: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Fascinating story and video, Loth.

GG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Salt licks are well known bribes for farm animals ...

Over here they put salt-licks in the woods to keep the moose away from the roads in winter; otherwise they would lick the road-salt and be a menace to traffic.

Moose are not really the cleverest of God's creatures ... [Smile]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Reminds me of when I walked into a rural cathedral during Lent to find a meditation point set up....it was a salt lick and a candle on a terracotta plate.

Very effective.

And no. I had never seen anything like it before....because I have always been a city dweller. Harvest festivals are also foreign territory to me.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

I occasionally see men from Snowy River... On horses, herding sheep, cattle or horses across my mountains.
It thrills me! Wearing the coats, the hats, the boots and so on...

The legend becomes reality right in front of my eyes.

Of course, they are using mobile phones now! That makes me google.
"There was movement at the station, as word had got around by text, that the colt from old Regret ...."

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
quote:

There are few achievements as satisfying as a well-turned heel.
I knitted many pairs of thick woollen socks for all four of us, not just for winter cosiness but more for comfort when tramping in the summer. The other day I took all that had been piled in a cupboard for years to Downtown Community Ministry, who will surely have clients with cold feet.

GG

Knitting is one of my covert pleasures. There is nothing more comforting than the rhythm of needles and wool. It's my ambition to knit (and wear) Ravelry over knee stripy socks

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I am sure I could lay my hands on enough scraps to make those. No trouble at all. [Biased]
DIL would love those but she does not like woollen socks, says they are too hot for her. I refuse to knit acrylic, it burns my fingers and hurts the arthritis in them.

I must get back to the socks I have started. I need that rhythm and comfort.A longtime friend was obviously losing his memory etc. Then three weeks ago, instead of a slow stroll down dementia hill, he seemed to fall over a cliff. He has gone downhill so quickly it is devastating to watch. A group of longime friends have stepped in, he has no family, never married and was adopted. Every day there is a new calamity he can't understand and we have to pick up the pieces and find a way forward. Plain vanilla socks may be just what I need to do.

[ 24. June 2016, 09:53: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth, that sounds like my dear aunt, who contracted shingles, and went from mildly vague and living in her own place to completely demented and needing nursing home care in just over a month. It is indeed a distressing situation, and I can only pray that adequate professional support is available to you all as try to help your friend.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

[Votive]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am not a knitter, but I love those socks. Unfortunately I think I would get minimal wear out of them as they would be too hot for me.

I'm making carrot and kumara soup today. It's one I haven't tried before, but I need to do something with the 4 litres of chicken stock in the fridge and I already have copious amounts of the chicken barley broth I like. It was going to be pumpkin but I stupidly bought one too big for the microwave and the small axe I used to chop it has gone walkabout. I know there are other ways of dealing with it, but at least it will keep for a while in a cool, dry place.

I also will put the raisins in to soak for rum and raisin muffins. The book group at the library has a mid-winter Christmas meeting on Monday so I volunteered to make them.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you all. It is indeed distressing to see. Fortunately we read the writing on the wall and managed to get a valid will drawn up, including Power of Attorney and Enduring Guardianship being appointed. That took over six months to arrange. We are so glad it was done. POA is now needed for banking etc. He is not eating and taking medication for high blood pressure is doubtful. Lunch at Eaarlwood Bardwell Park RSL is usually followed by cereal for dinner, if he thinks about it. Breakfast some days is after noon.

He has spent this week on a little holiday with one of the group in the southern highlands. This has given us more insights into the problems.

We have some among us with professional experience in medical fields and knowledge of resources etc. That has been helpful. Another couple are ordained and have heaps of pastoral care knowledge and knowledge of specific places for help. I have already been through this with my dad.

Care will be needed and probably residential at that. He can no longer look after himself as he could do a month ago. Probably in Highlands as he has friends there who can visit.

He is moving past the vague realisation that something is not quite right, and being worried about that.. At least that movement makes it a bit easier to actually arrange things for his comfort without argument.

[ 24. June 2016, 23:30: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Loth - it must be heartbreaking for you to see his decline.

[Votive] for you, for him and for all who have the task of looking after him.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Clarence, if you liked those over the knee socks, I have posted another link to unusual socks on the Craft thread in Heaven. I did not want to have an AS host complaining about knitting cluttering AS. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I won't be knitting any socks anytime soon, but even SE Queensland is needing some warm gear at present eg Bunya Mountains snow

(Posting whilst wearing thermals, knee socks, long woollen jumper and large wrap to allow for the non heated Qld house)

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Just checking in from frosty Canberra. It is minus four degrees as I type. I have just cranked up the gas heating.

No sympathy for any Queenslanders. Sorry. But it's because I want to be where you are!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Relatively tropical here. We started the day at 3c and it's now up to 6c and supposedly heading for 12c. I had left the heatpump on all night is my power bill is going to be higher than usual. For some reason I'm feeling the cold more across my upper back and shoulders - maybe that is why shawls were so popular in times past. I use lengths of purple polar fleece, practising for when I am an old woman [Big Grin]

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I probably shouldn't tell you what temperature it was here today, but your snow made it on to the "Force of Nature" slot on the Weather Channel over here - people in bobble-hats grinning and throwing snow at each other.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I use lengths of purple polar fleece, practising for when I am an old woman [Big Grin]

As in Warning by Jenny Joseph?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Relatively tropical here. We started the day at 3c and it's now up to 6c and supposedly heading for 12c. I had left the heatpump on all night is my power bill is going to be higher than usual. For some reason I'm feeling the cold more across my upper back and shoulders - maybe that is why shawls were so popular in times past. I use lengths of purple polar fleece, practising for when I am an old woman [Big Grin]

Huia

But of course you've had women as bishops in NZ for much longer then we.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

That's the one Clarence.

Gee D, not a role I would be temperamentally or theologically suited to. I did know the Right Reverent Penny Jamieson, as her husband lectured at Victoria University when I was doing my B.A and was attended services at the Chaplaincy. I went to her Ordination. (heavens, that was a long time ago - makes me feel old just to think of it.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
But of course you've had women as bishops in NZ for much longer then we.

Two excellent examples at the moment.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Two excellent examples at the moment.

Way better than at least one of the males of the species.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016