homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
Fairy tales all round in Australian football this weekend, as long as you don't mention the Wallabies. Like many Swans supporters, I couldn't begrudge the Western Bulldogs their drought-breaking victory; and although I'm no fan of Cronulla Sharks, what's not to like about them beating the Storm?

Wallabies? We mention them a bit in New Zealand.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
Fairy tales all round in Australian football this weekend, as long as you don't mention the Wallabies. Like many Swans supporters, I couldn't begrudge the Western Bulldogs their drought-breaking victory; and although I'm no fan of Cronulla Sharks, what's not to like about them beating the Storm?

Wallabies? We mention them a bit in New Zealand.
You mean boast , not mention. Somewhat of a lost cause for far too long. [Frown]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of my friends died last night. She had been suffering from cancer for a few years. I had wanted to see her for months, but it has been family only for a while. I feel frustrated that I didn't get to see her again, though I know it's not about me.
Maybe that influenced my dream last night. I was in a group of people that were abducted in a train. Somehow I got away, but I couldn't get to hit the right numbers on my seemingly miniature mobile to call emergency. and when I found someone to help me call the police were mot interested anyway.
I have another couple of friends who will be dying of cancer in the next few months. One will be a trip to the US. I would rather go while we might be some help, but I expect we will just go for the funeral.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, LKK - it's so frustrating when you're unable to do anything, and you feel completely helpless.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
May she rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]
Amen! [Votive]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

Not only that, there was an Aussie Rules premiership on this weekend too. The Sydney Swans lost to a Melbourne team. It would have been unthinkable to many that Melbourne should hold both Cups.

Not just any Melbourne team, but one that had also not won a premiership for more than 50 years (and that was their only previous one).

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Football? What football?
I have just spent 4 days in a nunnery.

But there WAS a faint sound of cheering from one of the private lounge areas at the end of one of the corridors....hmmmm....

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Checking in briefly, seeing as I have been mentioned in dispatches. I'm still here, but busy, and I don't look into the Ship as often as I would like, let alone post.

Here is home, still near Bungendore, although I relocated my Sunday attendance with a flounce some years ago, and now find myself involved and responsible at All Trains.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to hear from you, Vulpior.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome back. I can't recall where you went after Bungendore, but your present would be extremely takeable, if I can invent a word.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome back, Vulpior! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Friggin ' eck, it's cold.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree Zappa, it was down to 22C overnight here in WW land.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Where's my bitterly jealous tongue poking out smiley?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I have said in another place, and another context you are welcome to come and look after the twins, now 3 months old, for a few weeks/months/years.

eta: but it is only fair to warn you that the temperatures will be plummeting soon - a few years ago in December it got down to 15.9C!!

[Eek!]

[ 07. October 2016, 06:21: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

eta: but it is only fair to warn you that the temperatures will be plummeting soon - a few years ago in December it got down to 15.9C!!

[Eek!]

Oh, poor you. How could you bear it??

It's still more than our forecast high for tomorrow - when I will again be walking in a beech forest, all going well [Yipee] . The smell there is amazing due to the honeydew the trees secrete. (they are not related to European beech trees but were misnamed by early settlers).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
As I have said in another place, and another context you are welcome to come and look after the twins, now 3 months old, for a few weeks/months/years.

[Eek!]

Yes, the month we arrived in Darwin it plummeted to similar depths. The locals were shocked, shocked I tel you. I wanted a refund on my removal and air fare costs.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

This possibly isn't a good time to tell you that here it's currently 25° (and with no humidity to speak of!), the sun is splitting the rocks and the trees are looking their autumnal best.

[Snigger]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unlike Zappa and WW 25c is the upper limit of my comfort zone.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Unlike Zappa and WW 25c is the upper limit of my comfort zone.

Mine is 22°C. I actually succumbed to heat yesterday at Sea of Faith conference. Don't know what the heating was but I went to bed and missed happy hour and dinner. For me to miss a meal is unheard of. Fortunately I recovered for the evening's entertainment.
Huia, at my first school in London when I did my Big OE, the geography teacher was immediately puzzled when I spoke of of beech trees. I knew ours were nothofagus and I've just checked that this means 'false beeches'. So you've sorted me out, cause some sites say they're related species.. And there are many more varieties in Southern Argentina and Chile.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Unfortunately the botanical expert was sick, but the DOC worker mentioned our beech trees were related to some South American species.

The DOC worker took my email address in case the botanical expert organizes an alternative date for the walk.

Today was the final day of the Walking Festival. It was pouring with rain when the coastal to wetlands walk was planned, but cleared up in the afternoon [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I start slowing down around 45°C if it's dry heat. 38-ish°C if its equatorial wet. Basically whenever the water pours off me - and of course in Dry heat it's evaporating so fast I don't notice.

I keep looking for a nice cushy job in Riyadh or Mecca, but I'm told there's an oxymoron there.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I start slowing down around 45°C if it's dry heat. 38-ish°C if its equatorial wet. Basically whenever the water pours off me - and of course in Dry heat it's evaporating so fast I don't notice.

I keep looking for a nice cushy job in Riyadh or Mecca, but I'm told there's an oxymoron there.

You'd love Arizona.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
I start slowing down around 45°C if it's dry heat. 38-ish°C if its equatorial wet ...

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
That is all.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to make Piglet's day, it is a pleasant 34degC in our neck of the woods, with a feel of 30 due to the prevailing breeze. A cool change due later will make tomorrow a more Piglet-like 22. In other words, a typical changeable spring.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

You'd love Arizona.
[Biased]

Yeah, I reckon ... tell me about the politics, though! (Though the warm places I loved in Oz were seriously redneck [Frown] )

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

You'd love Arizona.
[Biased]

Yeah, I reckon ... tell me about the politics, though! (Though the warm places I loved in Oz were seriously redneck [Frown] )
If I started on the politics this thread would have to be moved to Hell.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
0 this morning. But we will reach 10 today.
I remember Spring from other times in my life, but figure I will never see it here......

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
... a pleasant 34degC ...

Now there's an oxymoron if ever I saw one! [Big Grin]

Isn't it supposed to be winter down your way? [Confused]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Slightly north of Rowen, and Spring has laid TP low. Swollen sinuses, runny eyes, bad head (temper to go with it!). Of course he refuses to take any medication for it, so we are all suffering along with him.

But Spring HAS indeed arrived. The lilacs and banksia roses are flowering along with all the bulbs. Floriade finishes this week.
Spent last weekend at Tuross Heads with glorious sunrises over the sea and late mizzly rain each day. The wind was still icy at times - Friday was 29 degrees but it dropped to 14 the next day because of a southerly buster howling up the eastern seaboard.
Then the temperature climbed back to the low 20's.

Not as warm here in Canberra of course - but as we have an election this coming weekend, the hot air should soon be on the rise again!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Banner Lady, I sympathise with him (and anyone within hearing distance [Biased] ).

I am not so badly affected, but I recognise that I do have a low grade attack of the grumps, however I will take any medication that doesn't knock me out.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
White atarry native clematis out, though I get a better view if I stand in neighbour's drive. Hebe hulkiana in bud; it can open very slowly so I hope it's in full bloom when we get back from Matarangi – spikes of delicate lilac, sometimes called the New Zealand lilac, though it's a small bush at best.

Daughter and three mokopuna here for almost 4 weeks. Hugs replace Skype.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I saw some of the native clematis when bush walking in the weekend. When I was a child I remember it as being more plentiful. I had the fantasy that it would make a lovely, natural bridal bouquet. Totally unrealistic of course because it doesn't keep once picked, and anyway it belongs where it grows (conservation values weren't really considered in 1950s and 60s NZ).

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I am risking not wearing thermals today. I could regret this.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Brave move Zappa. I have yet to start a day without them, but I have done a discreet strip during the day. I love the feeling of no longer being bound in layers of clothing that summer allows.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

It was a mistake. I'm now wrapped in kuruman's rug.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

TP possibly has a tooth access on top of all else. It is B4's 26th birthday today but she has no time to celebrate it. B3.1 returns to Adelaide tomorrow so we are babysitting and B1 moves out tomorrow afternoon with B1.1 and B1.2 following shortly thereafter.

Chez Banner is in complete and utter chaos - as usual!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A pleasant walk at the beach today. Dolphins were lazily rolling around in the water. I managed 25 minutes. Yesterday I pushed myself for a fairly strenuous 30 minute afternoon walk and was wiped out for the evening. Back for a coronary rehab assessment tomorrow.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I was Ok with just one layer of clothes today [Yipee] but tomorrow snow is forecast down to 500 metres above sea level. Snow!!! FGS it's October!!

[Two face] You want to come and visit Zappa? [Two face]

Huia

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Just read the news about the Nobel Prize in Literature. Was that Zappa's cries of joy I could hear all the way over this side of the Pacific?
[Yipee]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Sure was!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I was Ok with just one layer of clothes today [Yipee] but tomorrow snow is forecast down to 500 metres above sea level. Snow!!! FGS it's October!!

[Two face] You want to come and visit Zappa? [Two face]

Huia

So sweet! Goodness ... is that the time? [Razz]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

More snow forecast for down Rowena's way next week!

This year may be OK but there will be a lot of growth for next year's fire season which has come from all the rain and snow now.

Glorious looking day in Sydney. Forecast of 26 and higher tomorrow. The terrible winds of the last ten days have eased to a slight breeze today and I can't see a cloud anywhere.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

*sings*

"happy little dean
happy little dean
I think I am I know I am
I'm a happy little dean"

We won the appeal and the May decision is revoked forthwith.

Whether I'll actually go back will be a matter for much thought and prayer

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Wot Lamb Chopped posted, and then some.

Good to know that justice prevails.

Huia

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wondered why the sun was shining this afternoon.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Great news, Zappa!
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Angel] Zappa [Yipee]

And [Votive] for wisdom on how to proceed

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very excellent! Joy to you, your's and the community.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016