homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The security men at the college where I worked in Belfast used to run a sweepstake on the Grand National, and in the one dubbed The Race that Never Was guess which horse I drew?

Got it in one - Esha Ness - the one that came in first.

Because the race had been declared void, I think what they did was drew the sweepstake tickets from a hat, so of course mine wasn't the one drawn.

I just don't have that sort of luck. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any news on HSC candidates are travelling?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Grandson finished on Wednesday. Seems OK but did not like maths. Probably would have helped had he done more work over the last two years.

Now has a labouring job part time, and is due here soon to do some cleaning for me. Paid, probably too generous but I hate cleaning my tiled balcony as tiles are slippery when wet.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

Finished Monday. Seemed happy enough with everything, not phased by unexpected questions in various English papers.

Now celebrating quietly. Played cricket yesterday with at least one classmate who was seriously hungover after a party Biggest either wasn't invited to or decided not to go to.

I've got him doing some paid heavy work in our garden. He's playing guitar, writing songs that have been bursting out all year, and has also started writing a novel. Given that he plans to do a Bachelor of Communication majoring in creative writing next year, I guess this isn't a major surprise.

Tonight is an all night movie watching night (we declined to host) and band practice with some mates tomorrow (at the drummers house. Drat).

Apart from his indifference to his need for cash, all going well!

mr curly

[ 05. November 2016, 18:15: Message edited by: Mr Curly ]

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you both and best wishes to them.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had thought grandson may have been interested in something along sporting lines givien his abilities. At the moment, he is not, but really wants to get into real estate. No idea where that came from at all. Certainly nothing family related.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's interesting Loth. In the past, possibly due to my total ignorance about it, I would have thought it wasn't a job that would appeal to a school leaver, but one of the workers I employed through Student Job Search was doing an introductory course and she was really keen. I think she would have had a go at selling my house, if I was willing.

Interesting to hear about Biggest too Mr Curly, he sounds multi-talented. I will keep an eye out on Amazon for future developments.

Best wishes to them both.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
B1.1 is now working five fast food shifts a week and playing futsal in a new club one of his mates began. Along with cadets and having to spend every second weekend in the countryside with his dad - this leaves him rather short on time to do non exciting stuff like homework. It will be interesting to see if he stays at school after next year. Somehow I doubt it, but he may surprise us all yet.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

Our equivalent here is NCEA, less draconian, and spread over three years, but we have two sitting exams at the moment. *Sigh.*

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
... oh, and incidentally, one of my myriad girls just completed a vet nursing degree yesterday ... so now I have an applied animal scientist (trains guide dogs), a teacher (with a degree in health education), a social worker, a vet nurse, a ... um ... guide dog training and breeding overseer (the only one who hasn't gone on to uni), and an occupational therapist ...

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to the Zapplet vet nurse! [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow Zappa you have all bases covered there, you must be so proud of your daughters [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Axe murder]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Well done Zappa. I am not sure why the HSC is thought draconian - after all, there are now 6 years high school rather than the 5 we had, and the content is rather lower. Some of the courses are not quite at the level of hamburgerology, but most of the humanities aren't at a terribly high level. More emote than think.

[ 12. November 2016, 19:56: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I keep wielding my teacher's chalk to say that HSC is not the end of the world. I measures the particular candidater's respons to a particular exam on a particular day. Lots of wriggle room there for different responses and marks.

I can't answer for the maths and physics side of subjects but many subjects considered traditional are definitely dumbed down. I do not like the inclusion of TAFE related and other similar subjects. I am not being snobby about them, many of them appeal to me but the place is wrong. Education to me is for different purposes than vocational. Those skills can be learnt elsewhere if the student has been taught how to research, how to read an exam or essay question and to answer what is asked, how to write, how to marshal arguments in order and much more. Still that is not an AS topic.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The weird weather continues. Following Brexit & Trumpit, this week we have had wild wind and hailstorms. I suspect we have at least one if not two broken skylights. At least they are in the bathrooms, so water damage can be contained. Unlike B1's new swish apartment which apparently leaks like a sieve.

I would laugh...except that in an emergency we have the nearest beds....oy vei...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Big earthquake centred Nth of Christchurch 7.1 I think. It was the longest we've had,

Am Ok but feel very shaken,

Huia

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Biggest quake I've felt in a while, and I'm in Wellington so a fair way off the action... Glad you're okay.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Twitter people are saying they could feel it in AUCKLAND!!

Apparently near Hanmar Springs, some houses lost apparently.

Hope it's no worse than that. [Votive]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Within half an hour we've had a 6.6, a 5.6 and a 5,2. There's also been a 5. something in Wellington.

Thank heaves the power hasn't gone out here like it has in some places.

News just on says there have been multiple quakes, through out NZ, one in Taihape too.

No injuries report in ChCh. but the emergency 111 line isn't working.

I bloody hate this

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Tsunami warning - evacuating to higher ground

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2 metre+ disturbance on Kaikoura tsunami gauge...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holding you all in the Light.

[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just got an email from my sister in Nelson. She says the house swayed for over a minute. No damage though.

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(((Huia))
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Rated 7.5 now, and sounds as it was based in the Kaikoura/Hanmer Springs region, where there's been a lot of wobbles in the last year or two.

Slept through peacefully here.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Frown]

[ 13. November 2016, 14:38: Message edited by: Doone ]

Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for Huia, GS and all the NZ shippies - glad to hear you're OK so far.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I am back home. Georgie had to spend some hours in her cage and isn't impressed, nor was the resident cat where we stayed). I am celebrating with a bubble bath, but will make sure my clothes are in easy reach [Hot and Hormonal]

School is closed today (as are all schools between here and Wellington) so I am going to catch up on some much needed sleep).

Huia [Snore]

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Huia and other NZ Shippies [Votive]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just checked in to see how things are over there. Glad you and Georgie are home and able to bathe, Huia.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Just seen the headlines. Very glad that you're OK and that the house seems right. Prayers and best wishes from both of us to you.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First earthquake I've felt for many years. I think it's because the house is on a ten-inch slab of reinforced concrete, but the seismologist said ask an engineer if that's the reason. Anyway I sure felt this one but none of the aftershocks my neighbours are reporting.
Son (physics teacher) said the p-wave woke his wife and she woke him in time for the s-wave (not sure what she did but he stood in a doorway). Maybe that's what happened to me. "All Petone" was evacuated up on to the hills, where local people offered cups of tea.
One neighbour's among the many told to work from home, so if she can spare half an hour maybe I can get my frozen guava juice processed: my apprentice isn't here to help, and with Essential Tremor I can't skim the cooked jelly.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad you're OK, Huia and GG. It was our first earthquake in the new house, and while we felt every shake (there have been at least a hundred since the first one) we have no damage.

We were under the bed faster than greased lightning. And the next thought was, "Oh shit, we haven't refilled the emergency water bottles since we moved." That is now attended to. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that was a crazy night.* Arabella, from what you have posted before, since you moved, you are now living very close to me. I have not felt anything like that since the Edgecumbe one - also the first time since then that I've experienced things falling down around me. (which makes me reflect once again on how completely ghastly things must have been for South Islanders for year and years now). Had a good check around the place this morning and no damage to the house, except the hot water cylinder is a bit loose on its moorings.

*Which my children slept serenely through, God only knows how.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So thankful that all Kiwi shipmates are ok. Hoping it all settles down quickly.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I am a bit late checking in this morning but did look last night. You were probably all processing it.The main thing I see from the reports is the long time it lasted.

It makes my bummer start to the week pale into the significance it deserves.. I knocked a double walled glass insulated coffee mug onto kitchen tiles. It did not survive.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
It makes my bummer start to the week pale into the significance it deserves.. I knocked a double walled glass insulated coffee mug onto kitchen tiles. It did not survive.

It's funny you should say that. One of only two things which fell down in our house was a painting, which did a spectacular end-over-end, falling first onto our dresser, then onto the floor, then over onto the foot of our sleigh bed. All this took place about a metre away from where I was standing, and that painting is probably one of three things I would take from a burning house with me (the others being my kids, and my laptop). But I felt no grief or horror when it fell because at the time I was seriously worried that actual bits of house might start falling. Even this morning, I find myself unable to care too much about it, though it is one of my favourite things. The painting itself, and the glass, have survived, but it's going to need to be re-framed. Meh. Small fry.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I hadn't put my paintings back on the walls since the house was fixed, but the kitchen clock, which usually falls into the sink, is still on the window sill.

Georgie isn't venturing far from home, and when I came home from the pharmacist (stocking up on my prescriptions)she ran to meet me, yowling loudly.

My water bottles are looking a bit dubious so I ran the bath again after I had cleaned it. It will be a temporary reservoir. My water cylinder is safe as it has very solid shelves built around it.

I am very grateful to Orion, the local power lines company as they did a really good job renewing the cables last time so we haven't had power cuts here.

Huia

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So glad to hear that all NZ Shipmates are well, even if shaken yet again! Prayers for all! [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been thinking of NZ shipmates since I heard the news this morning. I'm glad everyone is safe.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For all you music lovers, two of the worst hit places in Wellington were the cathedral organs - both Anglican and Catholic. Pipes on the floor, and it looks as though someone played skittles in the pipe chamber of St Paul's. Thank goodness it was the middle of the night - our choir sang a concert in the Anglican cathedral on Saturday evening.

It is now bucketing down on the Kapiti Coast.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Turned cold here. I'm going to pack my spare back pack in case I have to evacuate again. Last night I thought I hadn't packed my book or reading glasses - I had, but didn't find out until I was back home. [Roll Eyes]

Actually I managed quite well, I just didn't think I had. Will be in bed by 7pm as I'm exhausted.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I was at a meeting in central Hawke's Bay this afternoon, holding forth in full oratorical flight when all present started calling out wait, no etc ... I thought I must have said something wrong and was quite mystified. I never felt it even when I shut up but the lights were swinging and it was one of the bigger longer aftershocks.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for all Kiwis

But pray tell, what are these '(hot) water cylinders' you're speaking of?

[ 14. November 2016, 05:22: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
[Votive] for all Kiwis

But pray tell, what are these '(hot) water cylinders' you're speaking of?

This is a hot water cylinder. Note that it has three rows of metal strapping around it, which is fixed to vertical timbers, which are in turn fixed to the wall. Our cylinder has a single band of strapping, and it has partially pulled out of the wall at one side (because it is NOT anchored in a piece of timber but screwed straight into the wall. Clearly was installed by an idiot.

THIS is a hot water cylinder which was either unsecured or worked loose of its moorings. In Marlborough, earlier today.

I do understand that there are much better ways of heating your water, btw. We had gas hot water at our last house and I am a big fan of it.

I had to go stand in a doorway halfway through typing this post - and we are having it a lot easier than folk in the South Island. Damn. I like the terra firma to actually be firm.

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

Long day with no power, phones, limited running water and not enough staff (due to school closures) in a 100+ bed care facility...

Finally got power at about 3.30. Just before the southerly storm came through.

Proud of my team though, carried it through well

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Puts our hail damage in perspective. Glad everyone is checking in ok. Prayers ascending for the shaky isles to settle quickly.
[Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

A competition was held to name six new ferries for Sydney harbour. The first one was trialled today. It has been named Catherine Hamlin after the founder of the Hospital in Africa treating victims of injuries in child birth. I think it is a great way to keep her name in the public eye. I have just bought Christmas presents from their warehouse here. Good stuff, very good service and I feel good promoting the idea.

[ 14. November 2016, 06:43: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

That's very cool, Loth. I read a biography of her and she immediately went on my list of people who I admire.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016