homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now my main route to work is flooded, not expected to clear until lunchtime tomorrow, if we're lucky. A colleague who was able to go in today told me that the service had no clients at all, all day!

Our emergency information services have been brilliant. People seem to be taking them seriously, too, which is an improvement. I also like being able to contribute to the earthquake monitoring through Geonet - each time a shock happens, anyone can log on and record their impressions of the degree of shaking. It helps me stay calmer to view it slightly scientifically.

Anyway, we're off to bed now, hopefully to ignore the howling gales and any further shocks. Kia kaha to my fellow Kiwis.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Arabella, You may be interested in a book Ibought a couple of years ago for my granddaughters. I think one of them has it at the moment.. It is celebrating the achievements of many women of a variety of nationalities across the world. People like Catherine Hamlin, young girls, Chanel. Many more. A big illustration, a page about why they are important and in the back potted biography

Now to remember which granddaughter has it.

Hope you sleep well, Arabella, and all other NZ shipmates too.

[ 14. November 2016, 07:24: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When Catherine Hamlin went to Ethiopia at first, she was assisted by Maggie Myles, who had written the leading textbook on midwifery.

I am part of a group who has been campaigning to have Maggie Myles recognised in her home city of Aberdeen. The group will be delighted to hear about Sydney's new ferry, Loth.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am so pleased to see the reaction to my post about Catherine Hamlin and Sydney Ferries.

I did see the Catherine Hamlin on the news but can't find a picture of it yet. here is an artist's impression

Fairly traditional design and similar to our beloved older ferries which are now getting somewhat long in the tooth.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting that the Sydney Harbour ferries are all made in Tasmania. I wonder if they sail them to Sydney, or if they are ferried there? [Razz]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are campaigning to have a plaque to Maggie Myles placed on the Maternity Hospital. The Hospital are keen to have such a plaque, and there is funding available! However, the usual criteria for plaques is that they should be placed on building which is either the place of birth / death or workplace, and the current Maternity Hospital is a new build. (Her place of birth is a back street where a plaque will go unnoticed and she died outwith Aberdeen.) It will happen, but when? We will use information about the new ferry boat to boost our cause!

Interestingly, we have had Australian visitors to Aberdeen tell us they learned about Maggie Myles during their nursing / midwifery training in Australia, but she was almost forgotten here in her native city.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The gods are trying us out!
Massive rain and wind storms, and bits of Wellington always fall off in this kind of weather.
All roads in and out of Wellington are blocked. Much of the city is flooded or partly blocked by slips.
I did manage to complete a 20-page newsletter and take it to the secretary to print and email. But now, I think I should have a cup of tea and a piece of birthday cake and go back to bed.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My partner went in to Wellington by train this morning and is now trapped there. I hope we do not have another quaky night. Though I suppose without him here at least both kids fit in the bed much more easily...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm extremely grateful I opted to work at home today, as I would have been stuck in the Hutt tonight. The 5.7 and 5.9 quakes around 3pm reinforced this.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thinking of you all. Those are big aftershocks. Yesterday I thought I was doing so well, but I realised later that I had mislaid more things than usual and I kept shivering, which I only realised later was shock.

Vicky McKay on RNZ was totally brilliant and calm, while trying mot to fall off her chair. She was also on duty on Sept4th when the first quake of the Canterbury sequence struck. As Kim Hill said "Someone give that woman a medal"

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps big aftershocks get rid of loose energy quickly and are better? Hope that makes sense, but we're still remembering you and all your fellow citizens as you go through this.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Gee D - I'm never quite sure if it works like that or not.

Earthquakes - the gift that keeps giving [Roll Eyes]

A US Navy ship the USS Samson has been diverted from Naval celebrations up north to help rescue locals and tourists trapped in Kaikoura a small coastal town [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Love and prayers for you all [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still keeping you all in my prayers too. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I found my book of inspirational role models for girls.

Women of all ages, sizes, countries, religions etc. Well illustrated and with biographies in the back. I have sent details to Arabella. If anyone else is interested, please PM me and I will happily pass them to you too. It was quite inexpensive when I bought it a couple of years ago.

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

Thanks for the pm, Lothlorien - your inbox is full. I think I've read that book, one of the better ones of it's type.

So on top of a LOT of weather, we had a little tornado last night! Fortunately, no damage at ours, but a set of gates were picked up and flung down the road. Tornadoes aren't particularly common in NZ, so quite a surprise.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Will do some cleaning. I am surprised it is full.

I think PMs must be like wire coathangers and multiply in the dark. Thanks for letting me know. Nice and tidy now and floor swept of rubbish.

[ 17. November 2016, 01:00: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
So on top of a LOT of weather, we had a little tornado last night! Fortunately, no damage at ours, but a set of gates were picked up and flung down the road. Tornadoes aren't particularly common in NZ, so quite a surprise.

I had joked to my kids that morning that given the week we're either due a Tornado or Zombie Apocalypse.

Unfortunately I put my money on the Zombies.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

At least the zombies would have added something totally different to the mix.

My neighbour along the road hit on a novel way to distract her Grandchildren who were staying with her on Sunday night/Monday morning. They said that they would feel safer outside so out they all went. They were still scared until she hit upon the idea of them all being surfers and surfing the waves as they felt them through the earth.

I wish I had remembered the excitement of feeling the power of those waves, I did it once and it was so fascinating I forgot to be scared.

Not recommended close to buildings or in areas prone to liquefaction.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very enterprising!

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mother lived at Ward in Marlborough (a township just about wiped out last week) at the time of the Murchison earthquake in 1929, and recalled seeing the earth-waves travelling across the field.

It must have been awesome.

We lived in Murchison in about 1939; we still got occasional quakes.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

The Shaky Isles is certainly an apt name for them. We were talking over dinner this evening and wondering just what records if any there were among the Maori of pre-colonisation earthquakes.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Gee D, I don't know of specific examples but Ruamoko is the Maori god of earthquakes. The legend is that he was trapped under Papa, his mother, when she and Rangi, the Sky Father were separated by his brothers.

Any other Kiwis making a donation to Rainbow Youth in the name of "bishop" Brylcreem?*

Huia

* to OZ Shipmates and others who may have missed this story - this self appointed "Bishop" has said the Christchurch Earthquakes were caused by human sin, particularly his favourite Dead Horse choice. In response people are donating to Rainbow Youth in his name. They will send him a Thank-you note when the total is known.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's an excellent idea - I saw an article about that bloke on Facebook and at first thought it was one of those spoof news sites like News Thump or the Onion.

What a plank. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks Huia for that pretty accurate explanation of the cause of earthquakes. They are very rare here and never heard of any reference in any account of the Dreamtime.

That gift idea is excellent.

--------------------

Arleigh
Shipmate
# 5332

- Posted      Profile for Arleigh   Email Arleigh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien on Monday afternoon:
A competition was held to name six new ferries for Sydney harbour. The first one was trialled today. It has been named Catherine Hamlin after the founder of the Hospital in Africa treating victims of injuries in child birth. I think it is a great way to keep her name in the public eye. I have just bought Christmas presents from their warehouse here. Good stuff, very good service and I feel good promoting the idea.

(My bold)

Thanks for the website hint, Lothlorien. I went to the site on Tuesday morning, chose a few gifts (and something for me [Razz] ), including one item which I expected I would be sending as a belated house-warming present when it arrived (the party is today).

Imagine my utter amazement when the parcel was delivered yesterday! [Eek!] That's from order to pack, posted in Sydney and delivered to Brisbane within four days! In time for the housewarming and all! So impressive, especially considering Aust.Post's [lack of] service these days!

♥Arleigh
(Now I've got no excuse - I have to go to the stupid house-warming party. [Roll Eyes] )

Posts: 388 | From: Brisbane | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Arleigh, one of those gorgeous leather bags perhaps, orsome jewellery. I was very tempted by both.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One cheering story from the earthquake concerns the 1000 or so tourists who were stranded in Kaikoura as the roads out were cut off by landslips.

Most were accommodated at the local Maori marae (meeting place), where the tribe fed them on crayfish ( a local delicacy ) . A spokesperson for the tribe explained that like many coastal Maori they had a big fishing operation, which stored the catch in a holding tank on land to keep them fresh. But with the power off, the pumps failed so the stock would have gone bad unless eaten, so the stranded tourists got a bonus! I suspect some of them were in no hurry to be "rescued" after that.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Kai is translated as food and koura crayfish it is a fitting breakfast.

I have stayed at that marae the hospitality is fantastic and the contemporary designs in the Meeting House are stunning. My heart goes out to the tourists caught so far from home, and to the local people whose land and livelihood have been damaged beyond repair.

In Maori the same word, whenua is used for both land and placenta, and Maori are described as Tangata Whenua , people of the land.

Being a bit of a wuss I have avoided TV reports of the quake, I get by with some radio news, newspaper stories and reports from friends.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Thanks Huia for that pretty accurate explanation of the cause of earthquakes. They are very rare here and never heard of any reference in any account of the Dreamtime ...

Not long before we left Darwin there was a small tremor (actually it was a big quake, but centred hundreds of kilometres north, in Indonesia). I opened one eye, thought "nah", and went back to sleep.

The glorious Top End Times the next morning was emblazoned with the two inch headline "residents flee in terror as earth moves ..."

But perspective is everything. It's like the climate stuff that I bang on about. I really do find anything less than 30C challenging (though I'm stuck with it now) and under 20ish I head for thermals. So a Southlander would rightly sneer when I quiver in terror at a day of 10C or less. Funnily enough I can manage seriously cold though ... like Chicago cold. But, as with Darwin, only in modified manner.

I remember soon after moving to Melbourne in '83 a strong wind warning, with gusts up to 40 kph ... which would be barely a Zephyr in Wellington.

And so on.

So, earthquakes. Though an interesting subtlety is the difference between latitudinal and vertical movement ... I find the sharp shaking terrifying, and to a degree the long (and funnily enough very destructive) rolling less so. But face it, both are killers, serious killers, and as it happens Kaikoura was both.

Actually, as the Pacific is subsiding under the Australian Plate, I think it's just one more example of the Australian takeover of poor little NZ. But at least in the meantime you're providing us with some pretty spekky hills along the fault-lines (Alps, Kaikouras, Tararuas, Ruahines, Urarewas etc ...)

[ 20. November 2016, 16:24: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By way of explanation of the seismological stuff Huia is highlighting ... we kiwis grow up with this stuff in our DNA

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
... gusts up to 40 kph ... which would be barely a Zephyr in Wellington ...

Or in Orkney. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

ah, true indeed!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Zappa, I though of those differences when I texted a friend in Melbourne to say our expected maximum temp was 26c and she answered that theirs was 38 [Eek!]

(Then I thought, "Zappa would be in his element." [Biased] ).

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Melbourne weather is nasty. 38C, while I love it, is usually accompanied by a fierce northerly wind, and heralds a drop to (today's maximum there of) rain and 17.

Adelaide's summer climate is more my thing. Oh, and the Queensland outback. Or Darwin!

Sigh.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Rowen, I hope you were well away from this episode in Melbourne of storm induced asthma. Not enough personnel, not enough ambulances and hospitals overwhelmed by those needing treatment.

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

Sometimes I wish the weather in Wellington was a little less variable. All four seasons in one day isn't unusual.

But yes, it's cardies and coats when my Brisbane family visit during the summer... It makes for very odd family photos, me and Rosie in t-shirts, them all rugged up.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Sometimes I wish the weather in Wellington was a little less variable. All four seasons in one day isn't unusual.

Three. I don't recall any summer [Biased]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Grandson, 11, was playing soccer at school today in the heat. He was goalie and bent down to pick up ball. Unfortunately it was kicked at same time as he put out his hand. Result? Radius on right arm is badly broken just up from wrist. Son spent much of the day at hospital with him. Cast is on but he will have a second cast in two weeks. That will be on at least four weeks.

Local small hospital minutes away from school does not have emergency department. He was sent by ambulance to Gosford. Thirty minutes or more away. Unfortunately his dad was travelling from there where he works down to school. They eventually both ended up in the same place.

[ 22. November 2016, 07:22: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

Three. I don't recall any summer [Biased]
Zappa, that's because your expectations of what constitutes summer are too high for a temperate climate. [Razz]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Grandson has gone off to school very proud of his right arm in cast. He is right handed so may have problems adapting for writing.. He will cope. School ends here for state schools on December 19, so he has a while with cast.

Still hot and hazy here but I don't think it will get to the 35 degrees locally and more in other suburbs from yesterday.

[ 22. November 2016, 21:59: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is now 5 1/2 years since I left my last regular job. Since then I've written some books, turned 50, loafed around, recovered from a heart attack, done some contracting, raised a bunch of fine teenagers and hoped that a job at a tech start up would lead to fabulous riches. (alas...)

On 1 December, I start a new job - 4 days a week for 2 years, leading a major project for the state office of my denomination. It's a continuation/formalisation of some of the contracting work I've done there in the last year. A fantastic, small team doing some very difficult work.

Should be fun.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good news, Mr Curly.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Mr Curly [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

YaY Mr Curly [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Yipee] Mr Curly [Yipee]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations and good luck, Mr. Curly! [Yipee]

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

Congratulations Mr Curly. Enjoy yourself.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Well done Mr Curly.

Rowen, how are you getting on since the second operation?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016