homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news, Mr Curly

Most of Kaikoura depends on the tourists passing through on State Highway 1, now blocked to the north and the south; the inland route is usable by 4-wheel drives in convoys.
Unfortunately the town won't be accessible by sea because, while the mountains were being brought low, the sea floor was bumped up 1.5 metres, so no boats can dock – and the whale watchers' boats, the number one tourist activity, are likewise stranded. Dredges will be brought.
Rows of campervans are parked, so the hire firms will be short of vans to hire out.
But oh, the stories of pure goodness! Christchurch people who know what it's like are doing things like filling a vehicle with freshly baked goods to cheer the victims' hearts.

Me, I woke, thought 'Gee, that was a big one!', turned over and went back to sleep. I've only felt one of the bigger after shocks.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news Mr Curly!!!

[Votive] Kaikoura. FD, kuruman, Zappa, kuruzapplets and dear friend travelled up from Christchurch on the train to Picton earlier this year and we are all grieving for those affected by the devastation.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
B1.1 (year 9) is in trouble at school and we are awaiting the outcome. Enquiry leading to possible expulsion for taking on 4 year 10 boys who were extorting money from one of his mates. Instead of walking away after they spat at him, he unloaded and left all four on the ground and one of them is now in hospital. Probably the end of cadets for B1.1 too. We don't know whether to laugh or cry...I guess at least we now know he will stand up for himself.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh! I'll bet that his reputation amongst fellow students has gone up substantially, taking on 4 others a bit older than he.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Probably will reach legendary status if he gets to stay at school, and no doubt he will get a bit of female admiration from amongst his peer group too. But he is nursing a fair bit of damage, not least to his sense of mateship - none of his own crowd backed him up in the stoush and he will be a very sore boy for the next few days.

Counselling hats are on at Chez Banner.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would he need great luck to get a suspension until the holidays start in the next few days?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Poor B1.1 - it seems he's been the victim of something of a stitch-up, after trying to do something rather brave. Hope he can get everything sorted out.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I received a call from the deputy principal of my son's high school - I was the deputy in a large primary school on the other side of town. My son was in dance training at the time and was part of the school's rock eisteddfod troupe. He was being taunted by a number of the football heroes, and finally took on the ringleader, and had him nose down to the asphalt playground before anyone could stop him. They had forgotten that dance for males includes upperbody strength. My colleague, more in sorrow than anger, handed down a three-day suspension, to enforce the discipline policy, but gave the bully equal time, saying he deserved everything he got. Needless to say, no further taunts were forthcoming.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

One of Dlet's mates had a younger brother, 2 years behind him and who had been picked on relentlessly by a bully in the middle year (hope that makes sense). On lunchtime young Sam finally snapped and got stuck into the bully, had him on the ground in under 2 minutes and to the cheers of all around. Much the same as Barnabas's son, equal treatment for both boys and after protests by the bully's parents had got nowhere he was withdrawn at the end of the year with a reputation preceding him to his next school.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's probably in parliament by now :-(

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

So B1.1 has been suspended for 1 week, i.e.until the Year 10's have graduated and left permanently (the school only goes to year 10). The four year 10's have also been suspended - we have no idea what this means for their graduation documentation. The ringleader (parent works at the school) has had such anger issues and so many incidents reported against him that 12 months ago the school offered counselling. The student and parent both refused this option.

B1 has been told there will be no comment on B1.1's record as the attack was provoked.

It appears the continued extortion of money involves drug usage and distribution. The police are now involved. Threats have been made against B1.1, and he is fairly sure this will not be left in the school ground. He does not feel safe enough to return to school. B1 has requested an appeal and an intervention.

Ain't life interesting. [Help]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

What a mess. At least the example I referred to was only at Prep, so no drugs etc involved.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
He's probably in parliament by now :-(

Still a bit young, would be 22 or so now.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*cough*Wyatt Roy*cough*
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
*cough*Wyatt Roy*cough*

Gone now as far as I know.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
What a mess. At least the example I referred to was only at Prep, so no drugs etc involved.

We are not so naive as to believe we have the whole story. This is only what has been filtered through to us as grandparents. We are aware most kids have their first exposure to the school drug culture around 13 or 14. But what is worrying is that this now appears to be far more than a school scrap. There are sinister and possibly life threatening overtones. Suppliers will be outside the school. So getting to and from school safely is an issue. At least b1.1 has two safe houses that are off-grid (i.e. are not on any school documentation). But having lost two nephews to the drug culture in Queensland we are on high alert.

It's a war out there for so many of our young ones. Sigh.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hearing things like that makes me all the more glad that I grew up when and where I did; drugs were something that happened to other people, in big cities, and school (and the route to and from it) was somewhere you could feel quite safe.

I'm not suggesting that there was no bullying - I was occasionally on the receiving end of it - but it did tend to be small-time, verbal and initiated by people for whose opinions I didn't give a toss.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wish me luck. Have just set self up with water, paper, pens etc. Am trying to find a better gas/electricity rate. I pay almost exactly the same as son with two teenagers who heats and cools with electricity. I have a discount from concession card. There must be a better deal.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I started investigating deals. What a muddle, made deliberately is my guess so that changing is difficult.

I rang my supplier and told them I would be going unless a much better deal could be found. what a surprise, a better deal appeared, just like that. As it was, my son with two teenagers and no gas was paying marginally above my electricity bill and I still had a substantial gas bill on top.

New deal worked out, much better for me. If I don't like it, I will investigate again as there are no penalty payments in this deal. No brand loyalty here when at least a couple of hundred dollars was involved every three months,

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No brand loyalty exists when you can be sure the utility company people are still coining it in by the month!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It was snowing down Rowen's way last week. Today , or rather yesterday on 1/12, summer arrived. It is now 36 deg C outside here and climbing to the mid-afternoon high. I am not accustomed to it yet at all.

Storm clouds rolling in from the west. We have had a storm several afternoons but nowhere near as much rain as I would like.

Name redacted. Poor spelling

[ 02. December 2016, 03:44: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Ordered two bits of furniture 8 weeks ago from a local furniture shop. One bit arrived with the wrong coloured fabric on, and the other has not materialised at all. Backlog on orders and a similar factory closing down means the place I ordered from is inundated with work. Not happy with our first foray into custom made stuff. May have to go back to trawling the ready made emporiums.

Just a massive waste of time from our point of view.

On the other hand a large item I ordered and paid for online arrived by courier within 24 hours. Now that was impressive. No wonder shopping on-line is so popular.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
... I rang my supplier and told them I would be going unless a much better deal could be found. what a surprise, a better deal appeared, just like that ...

I can't say I've any experience of that with electricity providers (most of the places I've lived have more-or-less had a monopoly on that sort of thing), but I understand that if you phone your telephone/mobile/internet/whatever provider and tell them you can get a better deal from someone else, they'll suddenly come up with the goods.

Now why couldn't they just offer good deals all the time, to everyone? [Confused]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Haven't counted down here Piglet, but there is quite a range in Sydney. No change in physical infrastructure, just the name and amount on bill. Integral Energy, Dodo, energy Australia, various "green" suppliers and more, all just here.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's all part of the so-called free market ideology which infests our state Loth! Only yesterday I heard our bumbling Roads Minister complaining how congested traffic was around the airport and that people were discouraged from using the train because it was too expensive. Whose fault that it is too expensive? His mates in the last coalition government who sold off the franchise to operate the line to a group which charges a station access fee to every passenger, which still applies even though they couldn't make money operating the line and handed it back to the government. To quote the old phrase, they know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I ws getting the standard centrelink discount which was applied only to gas bill. My son is not connected to gas on Central coast , has son often there and teenage daughter stands under shower till it runs cold sometimes. His electricity bill was perhaps $10 more than mine and I had gas bill on top.

I am now locked in for one year only to new deal and still have nine days to rescind deal if I want to. New deal gives me 20% off both gas and power bills every bill as I pay on time by direct debit. Am known as a "good payer." Better than than a poor one I guess. That puts me in a very much better position than I was and in a year I will do research and sums and change if need be. Going this way meant I did not have to cancel direct debit and set up a new one.

Airport train line is a real rip off, as is the under city tunnel system where approach road s are gradually closed off tl commutetrs find they are in tunnel approach with no way out and liable for tolls or fines if they protest.

Even concession card holders get no relief from airport line charges.

[ 04. December 2016, 06:18: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful to see some shipmates past and present at the weekend ordination in Brisbane and to see pictures on fb of Perth.

[Votive] for all the new deacons and priests as they begin this next phase of their work for God.

Thankfully Brisbane's service wasn't quite as hot as on the occasion of mad tea woman and nuns dimittis' ordination, but it was warm enough.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Wish me luck. Have just set self up with water, paper, pens etc. Am trying to find a better gas/electricity rate. I pay almost exactly the same as son with two teenagers who heats and cools with electricity. I have a discount from concession card. There must be a better deal.

Not just utilities.
Each time our main investment with the bank (not huge, but still important to us) rolled over, I'd get the form asking should they reinvest at X%, being the current rate. I would call them and say 'Another bank is offering X+%; can you do any better?' At which 'they' would go and speak to their supervisor, come back and match the rate I'd quoted.
My theory is that most small-time investors assumed that the rate is set, and you don't haggle with the bank.
Mind you, rates are so low now they're all rock bottom.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Yes, interest received on deposits is very much down. I have just been thinking about how I can juggle things so I can give a friend a decent amount towards teaching in Anglican churches in Sth Sudan. This will be his third trip and I have helped out before. Can manage some, but not sure of total. Couriering passport securely around the world to get visa is hideously expensive just for starters. No other way as far as he can find.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

The donation thing bites at Christmas time.
I've supported a number of charities for many years with an annual donation. I've given lesser sums from time to time for causes that I've thought worth contributing to. And almost all send a plea for a donation just now when you're counting $$$ and figuring how much you can spend on your grandchildren for Christmas.

GG

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

GG and Huia - there were reports of a 5.5 shock overnight. Are you and other NZers all right?

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
The donation thing bites at Christmas time.
I've supported a number of charities for many years with an annual donation. I've given lesser sums from time to time for causes that I've thought worth contributing to. And almost all send a plea for a donation just now when you're counting $$$ and figuring how much you can spend on your grandchildren for Christmas.

GG

It is hard with grandchildren. We often club together, pay more and share the cost. Especially with the older two, now almost three of them. One boy 11, has a kit of robots etc to make. It will be perfect for him but I share the cost. It also makes what I spend on each child to be approximately the same.

I hope to give more to my friend and I am particularly happy to support the charity in my sig. It used to be associated with Frontier Services for whom Rowen works, but that is now a separate group. They do such good work. I buy hay and get cards at least every two months, sometimes more often, and have other appeals. I am happy to help. I don't like cutting down on gifts, but I have decided to be careful and examine things so my gift really helps a cause I am passionate about.

I have bought presents from Hamlin Fistula charity this year. That helps them in several ways and is a very worthy charity. Products are all well made and attractive.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GeeD Although that one was apparently felt in Christchurch I didn't feel it - for which I am grateful. I am sorry for those closer to the epicentre, 5.5 is enough to cause damage and be very scary. Then there is the challenge of making a claim with EQC (the Earthquake Commission who handle claims up to a certain cap) - there are still people in Christchurch battling their inefficiency regarding 2011 claims. When we had a similar sized quale on Valentine's Day last year all I could think of was - I don't want to cope with them ever again, fortunately it wasn't necessary.

Our Prime Minister announced his resignation today. I think most of the country was surprised by this move, but I guess it gives his party time to choose a new leader for the General Election, which will probably be held about November next year. It will be interesting to see who emerges as the next PM.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Huia, good that you are ok. GG's posts suggests that she also is. A great worry to be living with for all of you.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

Our Prime Minister announced his resignation today.

Huia

TP suggested it was because of the performance of the NZ cricket team lately. NZ vs Australia match is being played a few blocks away from us, but has been delayed owing to rain. It is not really raining - just a few light muggy sprinkles now and then. But of course no-one plays sport out in the rain these days, do they?
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To be fair, those pyjamas get very soggy in the drizzle

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
GG and Huia - there were reports of a 5.5 shock overnight. Are you and other NZers all right?

Didn't feel that one. When I spoke to an engineer who was having a break from inspecting buildings, he agreed that it may well be my ten inches of reinforced concrete under the housethat saves me from earth movements.

One of the grandies, now back home n Canada, has left a message on Skype:
I want to be in a earthquake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (envy)

Watching the news: background to the turmoil of the National Party getting ready to fight over the top job. As the commentator said: "John Key has unleashed political chaos"

GG

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Good news then GG, glad to hear it. I wonder how Arabella PW's new house is going with all this activity.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:

One of the grandies, now back home n Canada, has left a message on Skype:
I want to be in a earthquake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (envy)

GG

I am willing to donate him several hundred, out of the goodness of my heart, you understand [Angel]

A couple from church were babysitting their grandies on September 4 2010. When they went into the boy's room they said, "that was an earthquake James".

"Cool, I hope we have more of those," he said.

I wonder how he feels now.

GG Engineers state the reason our church didn't fall down was the concrete slab on which it was built, which, for some reason was far thicker than is usual
[Smile]

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Our Prime Minister announced his resignation today.... It will be interesting to see who emerges as the next PM.

Huia

The next party leader, anyway.

Or PM, assuming that they win next year's election.

In which case I suppose they have a more than 50% chance.

[Frown]

GG

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

B1.1 is back at school, with no repercussions so far. Except that the day before he returned a gang of young males (some older than school age) were noted hanging about outside the school at 3pm. They have not been back as yet.

We have encouraged him to develop some strategies for sticky situations. It will be a relief to get to the end of term.

Wild and windy weather here this afternoon. This may not be good for all the stone fruit being harvested - the first cherry carts have appeared on the side of the roads.The taste of Summer has arrived.
[Smile]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

How long until his school breaks up? I just wonder if the local constabulary managed to persuade the young gentlemen to leave and are keeping a bit of a watch on the school.

Madame says that the stone fruit reaching the shops here is not worth buying. Inflated prices until Christmas probably and that the quality is just not there. No scent of ripeness in the fruit - and no, we don't use one of the supermarket chains for greengroceries.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

First lot of apricots and peaches are never worth buying, but I always like the produce from the roadside carts. The cherries are from local farmers and twice the size (and half the price) of those at the markets. 10 of them is a meal. I am actually struggling to make it through a 2 kg box - a nice problem to have.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

One more week of school here in the ACT. Not that any of the kids are doing schoolwork....now back in MY day.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I hope DD's contacts are fine after the last earthquake to hit the Solomon Islands. It seems as if the whole Rim of Fire is grumbling and rumbling.

[ 10. December 2016, 03:43: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
I hope DD's contacts are fine after the last earthquake to hit the Solomon Islands. It seems as if the whole Rim of Fire is grumbling and rumbling.

Makes you understand the attraction of the Gaia theory. The earth is shaking itself to get rid of the pesky humans.
Just caught a few minutes of 'Tropic of Cancer', illustrating the galloping erosion in Bangla Desh as the increased melt from the mountains eats up land around the river.
Since I can't stop the snows from melting or the earth from twitching I shall immerse myself in a crossword puzzle before bedtime.
And update my emergency supplies.

GG

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I didn't remember to update my emergency water supply, and I must check the little gas cooker. I'm thinking of getting a sign that says The end of the world is nigh. [Paranoid]

Huia

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tension seems to be rising in the Curly household, with HSC results at the end of the week for Biggest and Middle and Little Miss tired and worn out and struggling to make it to the end of school on Friday.

Mrs Curly and I are aiming to remain joyful throug the trials and tribulations of the next two weeks, with limited success so far. Which is a worry, giving that really, we don't have much to worry about.

Lovely little carols service and community bbq at church last night with Biggest leading the music was a highlight of the weekend. Plus Middle taking 3 wickets and scoring 50 not out in a come from behind outright win. The weekend started with the church youth groups (yes, plural) having their end of year pool parties at Chez Curly - part 1 from 530 to 700, part 2 700 to 930. The neighbors complained about the noise at 830.

May our joy increase as we await the Saviour!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

The policemen look younger every year and the years go so quickly now. [Biased]

Life ain' t what it used to be what with Higher school Certificate marks being released electronically before Christmas..

Back in the day we had to wait till mid-January for Leaving Certificate results to be available..They were printed by school in both morning papers. Everybody and anybody could see your results. Fortunately mine were pretty decent but some friends were disappointed.

We were on holidays at the beach and the morning papers did not arrive at general store till after 9:00 am when owner collected them. Apparently I talked in my sleep most of the nigh so at 6:00 am, mum and dad took me to newsagent at small nearby beach. It was open and I spread broadsheet on their counter to find my school and name.

I knew i could not fail, but had no idea how I had really gone so was very happy and raced out.to car.

Gee D probably remembers his results too of much the same era. Then it was back to the cottage with room to spread paper out to check on my friends' results.

[ 12. December 2016, 01:06: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ahh, school. I was talking with my young nephews the other day who told me that if they do something wrong they must go to the cooling off area and write a letter of apology. I promptly told them that I got caned by a nun for putting one single solitary foot on the new asphalt when I had been pushed. I also told them that their father had been whipped with a cat-o-nine tails for inciting a mutiny on his rowing team. After I explained what a cat-o-nine tails was, they seemed slightly alarmed, but mostly nonplussed.

A lesson for us all.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016