homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you listen carefully, you may hear the sound of a bell echoing around the world. Miss M , my granddaughter, has officially just been declared in remission from the acute leukaemia diagnosed on New Year's Day, 2014. She looks so different, she was a very sick little girl for many months

She has rung the bell outside the wards to signal the remission. This means no more chemo,not even night time tablets every night. There will be monthly checks,

We are very grateful to all who prayed and who still pray. Shipmates and their friends, families and colleagues from all over the world have prayed for her. Thank you. We cannot say how much we appreciate every one of you.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Worm in the Grass
Shipmate
# 10999

- Posted      Profile for Worm in the Grass   Email Worm in the Grass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's very good news, Lothlorien

--------------------
Christian satire attracts people who are serious about religion. It's a method of coping with the difference between what religion ought to be about and what it is. (Jengie Jon)

Posts: 273 | From: somewhere near Canberra | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent news Loth [Yipee] & [Votive]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And from us as well.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Worm in the Grass
Shipmate
# 10999

- Posted      Profile for Worm in the Grass   Email Worm in the Grass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's very good news, Lothlorien

--------------------
Christian satire attracts people who are serious about religion. It's a method of coping with the difference between what religion ought to be about and what it is. (Jengie Jon)

Posts: 273 | From: somewhere near Canberra | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful news, Lothlorien.

Tomorrow I'm up to Napier for the first time since Mum died, to see my aunties and the lovely ladies in Mum's retirement village who looked after me while I was cleaning out her house. We're taking a long weekend and staying in a motel on the Parade - I decided I couldn't face staying with anyone this time.

The best news is that my Aunty Margaret, who was in hospital very ill at the time Mum died, is back in her own home feeling much better. When I last saw her I thought I'd be coming up for her funeral, so I'm very happy that we'll be able to visit her.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] for Miss M
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is fantastic news Lothlorien! Such a relief for all of you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fortunately we came back from the coast yesterday, and missed driving in the storms this afternoon. A very relaxing break away, Dlet, a mate and the mate's girlfriend came down at the weekend (she's a lovely girl, we've known her parents since we were at school) mostly good weather and missed much of the intense heat at home. A bit under a fortnight of holidays to go.

[ 21. January 2016, 09:25: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You were fortunate not to drive in the storms, Gee D. Two trees came down on my niece's place near the Hawkesbury River. My sister checked for damage and then remembered the polo ponies. Fortunately they were safe. One tree is now what used to be called a widow maker. It has landed in another tree and split part of both.

[ 21. January 2016, 09:51: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien, that's wonderful news about Miss M.

I'm feeling rather overwhelmed. On Tuesday I heard from one of our active 80 year old parishioners that her even more active husband had fallen 3 metres off a ladder and been airlifted to the big trauma hospital in the big smoke. He's still in ICU. Today another gent of the same age, still plays tennis every week, does all the handyman stuff around the church, faithful worshipper and generally top bloke, came off a ladder and damaged his spine so seriously the doctors doubt if he will ever walk again. He's been airlifted to the same hospital, in the same ICU.

I'm trying to manage communication with the families and help the folk of the parish and the wider community deal with this, while wanting to scream "will you darling old gits get down off the *^£€+% ladders already!"

[ 21. January 2016, 10:41: Message edited by: Cranmer's baggage* ]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 729 | From: the antipodes | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eighty-somethings + ladders = oh dear! [Eek!]

[Votive] for a swift recovery for both gentlemen.

And [Yipee] for Lothlorien and Miss M! [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien, I read your news with tears -good ones - what a relief.

Arabella, today's forecast temperature for Napier is hot, so I hope it cools down a bit for the weekend.

Old blokes and ladders are a bad combination. Dad got stuck on the roof and my youngest brother had to go around and talk him down slowly. When I rather anxiously asked if he was going up again he grumped, "Can't, Kim took the ladder." [Yipee]

Which meant Kim had to come back and finish painting the roof. As he said, "No good deed ever goes unpunished".

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, TP has been up ladders pulling down ivy, clearing gutters etc and I have begged him not to do it while there is no one else home. Apparently over the age of fifty, more falls off ladders happen for men than any other type of fall. Last year B1.1's other grandad fell off the top of a water tank while he was unblocking the inlet. Broken leg, ribs and punctured lung meant a long recovery period and an early retirement.

It is not easy for handymen to stop, or alter their habits I guess. I was pleasantly surprised when one elderly parishioner, after asking me to change a light bulb for her, said she had vowed never to stand on a chair again after her 70th birthday. I hope I will be that sensible when the time comes.

Loth: Best top of the page post ever! I am so very pleased for Miss M and family. May 2016 be a good year for her.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien: wonderful news! Thanks be to God.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news Lothlorien!

We were in Sydney yesterday for The Greats at the Art Gallery. Got back to our car at Lindfield just as the storm clouds were gathering, and managed to head up the M1 just ahead of the worst weather.

Such stupid driving behaviour though! I sometimes think Central Coast residents are vaccinated with a keep right virus, and it was worse in the rain.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Absolutely marvellous news Lothlorien!

Like so many others around the world, we've been banging the gates of heaven with intentions for Miss M's name since the news - will be great time when I announce this latest on Sunday!

[Yipee] Joy all round! [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you all. This is a major milestone indeed. She will still have having checkups even as an adult. When I think of what she looked like two years ago, it is hard to believe the difference and there were days when we doubted if she would see another day.

She is looking forward to being a junior bridesmaid at her dad's wedding in March. Gown is chosen.

I am more emotional this morning than yesterday as the import of the news sinks in.

[ 21. January 2016, 22:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only just turned to page 3 and Lothlorien's lovely news.
So happy to hear of Miss M's new status. And yes, I shall still pray for further blessings for her.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news Lothlorien!
My daughter's sister-in-law (they're married to a pair of brothers) is a survivor of childhood leukemia at a time when the outcomes were considerably grimmer than now. She is now the mother of two, and healthy.

Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful to have a good news day! For remission from cancer, from birthdays, for recovery from illness and for healing long weekends away in beautiful Napier - we thank you Good Lord!
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fantastic news, Lothlorien! Lovely to start 2016 on such a positive note.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Napier was gorgeous - sunny, if a bit hot [Hot and Hormonal] , we had a lovely place to stay, and we got round all the rellies and then some (we were ostensibly visiting my mother's generation, but everywhere we went we saw my cousins). We also went to open homes and talked with real estate agents, moving closer to our future (most surprisingly, Rosie was enthusiastic about living semi-rurally, something I would never have imagined!).

We were really lucky to have mistakenly booked a B&B room instead of a motel room. Lovely hosts, right on the beach, peaceful, and we were the only guests because the hosts decided they wanted a quiet weekend!

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Australia Day here and for once I was really happy with the Australia Day Awards. That is apart from the ceremony coming outdoors from Canberra in a huge storm. Who could not have thought of an awning for the stage? A bouquet to Jeremy Fernandez from the ABC who handled things well as the presenter, dodging the drips and golf umbrellas.

I loved the two young men who have set up vans with washing machines and driers for homeless people to do washing for free. One of them mentioned that their main motivation was from a homeless man who said he had spoken to no one for many days. So the vans give an opportunity for a cuppa and a chat too. Just young kids really.

David Morrison was amazing in his short acceptance speech.

From the calibre of all finalists whose ideas and work were all shown, a decision in all categories must have been difficult.

Here's a link to the two young men and there are links there to other awards. They haven even expnded their services to those whose homes were damaged in cyclones.

[ 25. January 2016, 22:35: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Australia to all. I've just been listening to Eric Bogle singing his song 'Shelter'. It really says a lot of what I feel about my country and is more meaningful to me than many jingoistic songs.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Slightly belated happy Australia Day from over on this side of the planet. Hope you all had a good day.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Awstraya Day maties. I agree, the winner was worthy and Rosie Batty was a hard act to follow. Such a difference from many of the winners of yore who seemed to sink without trace after being chosen. The current crop are people with a national vision and the chops to do something about it.

Not sure about the Southern Horizon flag as the front runner for a republican Australia. I guess I could live with it - but does it look more like a tea towel than a flag? This is the question I always ask myself whenever flag options are floated! I can certainly see it as a beach towel. But it is a bit too gaudy for coffin draping, IMHO.

I spent today visiting the newest little Australians in my own immediate family and have seen six of the seven grandchildren today. Tired now...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I shall jump in with Seven Little Australians then! Ethel Turner lived down the line at Killara, but I think her side of the street is now Lindfield.

I had hoped to stay at home for the rest of the week, but with what has come in shall need to go in (at least a bit) every day. Madame's safe until Monday.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

At least it will be a short week,Gee D.

One son returns to work tomorow. The place shut Christmas/New Year and he took holidays, two weeks in Charlotte Pass and then home. Tomorrow will be a shock.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth, those young guys sound amazing, and worthy recipients of such an honour.

Arabella, the B&B sounds interesting. I am considering going to a Progressive Spirituality conference in Napier in May, so something like that could be a good place to book. Is it central? I will have to check maps or email some of the locals as I haven't been in Napier for since I taught in Wairoa in 1979 ( now I'm feeling really old [Help] )

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

Arabella, the B&B sounds interesting. I am considering going to a Progressive Spirituality conference in Napier in May, so something like that could be a good place to book. Is it central? I will have to check maps or email some of the locals as I haven't been in Napier for since I taught in Wairoa in 1979 ( now I'm feeling really old [Help] )

Huia

St Paul's is indeed central. It was my church when I taught there. Several years ago I went to a service there and spoke to a grey-haired woman whose name was familiar; it was only later I realised I think her (late?) husband was one of the Bible Class boys who sang in my choir.
There should be more info this week. Or I'll send the minister a facebook message.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

Huia

You could bunk in at the Deanery, you know. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My eldest niece is 11 today. Time flies...

Australia Day was spent floating down the Murray on a pool float from Kmart followed by a bbq at a colleague's place. Some people put quite a bit of effort into their floats... If only I had applied the same effort to sunscreen: my feet are rather red raw today. Thankfully I slopped it on liberally elsewhere.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It sure does fly, Ian. I remember the old wiblogs when she was born. My eldest grandchild starts year 12 this year.

Sunburnt feet? Ouch.

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You okay Huia? That was not a fun wee shake. 4.1 they're saying and felt good a strong right here. Luckily nothing fell over here [Smile]
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Macrina, I'm fine. I didn't even know it had happened until I got a text message from a friend and 4.1 is moderately strong. Possibly it was centred on the other side of town. I'm glad I put the crockpot in a safe place to bubble away, having lost one meal due to the shakes (it was still plugged in, so I didn't lose the crockpot itself).

Now I need to check for any plaster cracks.

Yesterday when I was in town I heard some noise from a construction site that I thought was the beginning of a quake and I felt jittery. It's a while since that has happened.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

At 4.1, you weren't really trying. Have another go at it. But glad to hear that you're ok. Was this a fresh quake or still an aftershock from the big one?

A couple of sort of half-days at work, catching up and getting ready for next week. Some of my solicitors kindly remembered me in the traditional way through January, always pleasant.

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd rather not have another go if it's all the same thanks [Razz] .

They reckon it's 'within the expected range of the aftershock sequence' so I guess there is our answer.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Sorry Macrina, I had overlooked that you also were in Christchurch. I imagine that half the problem is not knowing when the next one's going to strike.

Thanks for that advice about the aftershocks, I gather that they can go on and on for a decade or more.

[ 28. January 2016, 10:27: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Severe storm warning for these parts. Thunder is rolling at 10am and the temp is dropping. If there is accompanying hail I hope it is small. A friend had her kitchen ceiling fall in a few days ago because of the weight of ice on the roof. Freaky for mid-summer. Many pergolas in Southern Canberra are now shredded or shot with holes and I have just put the car under cover. The planned trip to the arboretum this avo might have to go on hold.
And enjoy the wine, Gee D, because the grape growers around here are just beginning to harvest. They will be lucky to escape any damage.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
My eldest niece is 11 today. Time flies...

I also remember the wiblogs when nieces came along. Time is flying far too fast!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Around 11pm last night the lightning storm was making the ground shake so much I could feel it under my feet. Two hours later it hit the coast, where two of my daughters were in a beach house on a hill watching the horizontal lightning over the sea, while trying to keep all the doors and windows from blowing in.
Somewhere in between a small town got flattened. The pictures are freaky. Sandstone blocks concreted together were unable to withstand the "storm surge".

Enough already.
BL. Sighing for the lost long hot summer I spend all winter dreaming about.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

The Hunter seems pretty safe so far, but fingers crossed. As the Father has a standing order for several dozen each Lovedale and OP and OH (you can get the current releaase 2011) of that for under $30 a bottle which is an incredible bargain) that area looks safe. The vintners at the north end of Lake George must be contemplating a poor vintage though, and are probably looking at their insurance policies.

What was the small town so badly hit? Nothing on the SMH or ABC sites as far as I can see. Our place is safe, but then it's up a bit from the beach on the southern headland, so reasonably well protected.

We had our regular end-of-summer-break dinner last night and even with the early storm we managed to eat with the outside doors wide open, listening to the second or third round pouring down. At least Friday night's downpour had been a good warning and the menu was changed to have everything cooked indoors. Back to the new year in earnest tomorrow morning for us both.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Well, the storm was the lead story on the ABC news last night and is on the front page of the ABC news website this morning - but maybe only in this area? This is the report of what happened at the hamlet of Forbes Creek.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Crikey, BL - that's frightful. [Votive] for everyone affected.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It looks very similar to what happened at Kurnell a few weeks ago. That was labelled a tornado.

No storms forecast for Sydney today but late showers. I do not call 11:00 am late.

--------------------

Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had flash flooding in these parts on Thursday last week. Some pretty crazy summer weather happening across this country!

I thought as I strolled along the main street of this little seaside town this afternoon how good it felt for things to be back to normal. We are grateful for the summer visitors (they make a huge contribution to our economy) but when the population increases three-fold as it does from Boxing Day to Australia Day, it does change the dynamic somewhat! Today, the sun is out, the sea is blue, the surf is good, and the shops are not crazy. Aaaahhhhhhhh...... [Smile]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 729 | From: the antipodes | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks for the link BL, that really is horrifying. That sort of damage did not happen here even in the great storms of 1991 and 2001. Did not see the TV news and it was not on the website when I visited it.

I should have said that it is the Heavenly Father who has that standing Mt Pleasant wine order.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sunny and breezy up here today Gee D, so the threat of botrytis is unlikely. There hasn't been any doomsaying in the local media, in fact tending towards a high quality vintage has been the message thus far. I will be at a meeting with John Drayton Tuesday evening so will enquire.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Can you tell him that some of us have happy memories of vintages gone by.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016